My Top 10 Favourite Bands

TheDandyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Edited By TheDandyMan

After seeing @saintwildcard's Top 25 Favourite Bands, I was inspired to create my own list of musicians that I like. As you can imagine, narrowing it down is pretty difficult and my taste does move around a bit so this list is just my current favourites. Now, lets begin with some honourable mentions. These are some of the groups that didn't quite reach the top 10 this time but they're still great:

• Rage Against the Machine
  • The Brian Jonestown Massacre
  • The Black Keys
  • Faith No More
  • The Prodigy
  • The Smashing Pumpkins
  • Iggy and the Stooges

And there are so many more that I could add but I'm not going to.

10.) Electric Six

No Caption Provided

As front man Dick Valentine would say, Electric Six are the bomb. You might have heard "Danger! High Voltage" before, it did get pretty popular, but they're more than just a one hit wonder in my opinion. Catchy guitar, entertaining lyrics, definitely a something to listen to if you want to lighten your mood a bit.

Favourite song: While Danger! High Voltage is probably deserving of being their most well known track, almost every other song from their album "Fire" is awesome too although their other albums do contain some good stuff too.

9.) Metallica

No Caption Provided

The first metal band I ever liked, James Hetfield's powerful vocals is what makes Metallica stand out from other thrash bands and they've got some great riffs too along with memorable lyrics like "Hush little baby, don't say a word, and never mind that noise you heard".

Favourite song: I'm going with the fan-favourite of "Master Of Puppets" but recently I've been getting into their cover of the Misfits, "Die, Die My Darling".

8.) Fun Lovin' Criminals

No Caption Provided

I don't think I know many other bands like Fun Lovin' Criminals, they've got a unique sound and it's not only original but it's great quality. The mix of hip-hop and alternative rock is something I enjoy, seeing as I like both the genres, and Huey Morgan's distinct New York accent comes shinning through in such a cool manner. The fact that vocals are not rushed adds to their entertainment factor.

Favourite song: Either "Scooby Snacks" which is probably one of their more famous ones or "Korean Bodega".

7.) Jurassic 5

No Caption Provided

If you like hip-hop that isn't just about "b!tch, booty, n!gg@" or whatever and haven't heard Jurassic 5, go listen to them now. That's an order, these guys are seriously good. They've got such a chill vibe which I think can be lacking from other artists and, even though they're one group, they use a number of different vocalists meaning that there's a range of different styles which is something I enjoy.

Favourite song: "Concrete Schoolyard" is probably their best hit, it's such a relaxing song.

6.) The Sisters of Mercy

No Caption Provided

Forming in 1977, the group are one of the earliest bands on this list. Could you tell that from listening to them? Perhaps. They don't feel very modern but I like that, "goth" seems to have died down and been replaced with "emo" so the Sisters of Mercy's older feel is one of the reasons I listen to them.

Favourite song: "This Corrosion"

5.) The Dandy Warhols

No Caption Provided

The thing with the Dandy Warhols is that I can imagine both alternative and mainstream music lovers appreciating them. They're diverse in the fact that some of their songs actually sound quite pop-influenced but mange to avoid coming out as too commercial while others include distorted guitars and more alternative based. Both of these styles are great.

Favourite song: If I want a bit of a dance then it's "Bohemian Like You", if I want something more mellow then "Godless".

4.) Kasabian

No Caption Provided

Kasabian have been criticised by some for copying Oasis' style and I do agree that they do have a similar sound. But I personally don't see that as an issue to whether I like a band or not, they're using an older formula and adding a modern mix to it. If I need some energy, there songs do get me pumped and I enjoy there Englishy (I don't think Englishy is a word but meh) feel.

Favourite song: "Fire". I'd heard "Club Foot" beforehand and liked it but Fire's what made me fully appreciate them.

3.) Slipknot

No Caption Provided

Life ain't all sunshine and rainbows as Slipknot nicely show. I didn't really like their style when I first heard them, it was a bit too heavy for me at the age of twelve. However, some of my friends got into the band later on and persuaded me to re-listen to them, I did and now I love them.

Favourite song: Tough one, most of their songs are of good quality. I'll put "Wait and Bleed" at the top of the list, mainly because it's the first song of their's I liked.

2.) Radiohead

No Caption Provided

A pretty highly acclaimed group, Radiohead definitely deserve their good reviews. It was possibly my mum who showed me them (I know, my mum showing me them isn't really very "rockstar" but she does have quite good taste so meh) and my first ever album was their "OK Computer" which I still enjoy to this day. I know they're not for everyone, you get some people who think they're "whiney" but it's some of the best whining I've ever heard.

Favourite song: At the moment, it's "Exit Music". You should check out "Just" if you haven't seen it though, one of the best music videos I can think of.

1.) Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds

No Caption Provided

Making the top spot had to go to the genius of Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds. The lyrics to their songs are so good, it's crazy. Take "Higgs Boson Blues" for example, it's poetic and the metaphors used really capture my attention. Again, "The Mercy Seat" use of religious imagery is done in such a great fashion. Nick's deep voice is captivating and he sounds almost like a narrator rather than a singer. Both slow and fast paced songs are equally good, they're consistent in quality. Overall, a great band.

Favourite song: I refuse to answer.

So, that's my top 10 favourite bands. What are yours?

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#1  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

i like RatM, metallica and SP

~MiB

derekvang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By derekvang

Nice list although the only ones you've listed on your top 10 that I've actually heard and know are SP, The Black Keys, RATM, Iggy and the Stooges, Faith No More, Metallica, Slipknot, and Radiohead. I'm gonna check out the others and see how their music are like, I'm pretty open to new music

dynamic_duo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yas! metallica! best band I've ever heard next to all my favorite bands

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Very nice

Avatar image for quinnofthestoneage
QuinnoftheStoneAge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Radiohead below Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds!!! Hmm interesting choice....

Also Fun Lovin Criminals were ruined for me when I discovered Huey was a massive d!ck

But nice list :D

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Ooh Radiohead. My mom listened to them and thus introduced me to them as well ha. Creep was the first song my mom showed me.

xoxo, -Saint Sophie

TheDandyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quinnofthestoneage: XD You talking about that incident where Huey smashed that mug on Never Mind the Buzzcocks? I was actually really surprised when he did that, all the other times I'd watched him he seemed pretty cool.

QuinnoftheStoneAge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thedandyman said:

@quinnofthestoneage: XD You talking about that incident where Huey smashed that mug on Never Mind the Buzzcocks? I was actually really surprised when he did that, all the other times I'd watched him he seemed pretty cool.

Yep, it was hilarious haha, but I was just like wow, what an ahole, also I wasn't particularly into their music anyway sooo

TheDandyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quinnofthestoneage: I don't even know what came over him, I'm just gonna pretend it never happened...

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bien :)

QuinnoftheStoneAge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thedandyman said:

@quinnofthestoneage: I don't even know what came over him, I'm just gonna pretend it never happened...

I thought Noel Fielding and Rizzle Kicks handled it pretty well, like made it into a joke, although that probably made him more angry

Yeah it seemed almost completely out of nowhere, I could see him getting a little bit agitated before he did it but he just flipped for no reason :/

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Nice.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One Direction, Nickleback, Backstreet Boys, N Sync

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really like Jurassic 5, too.

UNDERDOGZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

THE SHAGGS > All of the Bands mentioned in this blog and in the comments, HECK YEAH!

Avatar image for deactivated-5da1bf32237f0
deactivated-5da1bf32237f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Slipknot and Radiohead are awesome (even if I do think Radiohead is a tad overrated).

Avatar image for rocketraccoonthingy
rocketraccoonthingy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 8

Nice to see Metallica!

rocketraccoonthingy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dandy man... Take my hand. We're off to Neverland!!!!!!

Lateralus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. "]["{{}}{{}}][_
2. Deftones
3. Pink Floyd
4. Dream Theater
5. Rishloo
6. A Perfect Circle
7. Jimi Hendrix Emperience
8. Queen
9. Crosses
10. Simon and Garfunkle

TheDandyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheDandyMan
BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

#21 BumpyBoo  Moderator

And that's why you're one of the very few viners I would leave in charge of my stereo ;)

UNDERDOGZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thedandyman: So whaddaya thinkof the best band of all time? My favorite song fromthem is My Pal Foot Foot. That song is just--- GENIUS!

rocketraccoonthingy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's a pretty diverse taste. It's nice to see more than one genre represented. I haven't heard of many of these bands, but nice picks.

TheDandyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TheDandyMan
rocketraccoonthingy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thedandyman: Thanks for giving me an idea for a blog like this. Just you wait. :-D

TheDandyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rocketraccoonthingy: Gotta say, it might take you a while, putting one band ahead of another is difficult.

rocketraccoonthingy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thedandyman: I am a retard so, I don't have that much favorite bands. lol

Avatar image for thegreatvampirekillerx
TheGreatVampireKillerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheGreatVampireKillerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Van Halen, WASP, Winger, Twisted Sister, Led Zeppelin, Motley Crue, Iron Maiden, Electric Lights Orchestra, Deep Purple, The Byrds, Black Sabbath, Poison, Lynyrd Skynyrd, CCR, Cream, Genesis, Fleetwood Mac, Jefferson Airplane, Aerosmith, Guns N' Roses, The Beach Boys, Eagles, Queen, Megadeth, The Beatles, Dio, Judas Priest, Metallica.

Those are bands. Only band on your list I like is Metallica

TheDandyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TheDandyMan

@thegreatvampirekillerx: Out of the ones you've listed I like Led Zeppelin (Robert Plant's solo work is pretty enjoyable but it's softer than LZ), Iron Maiden, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Guns N' Roses, Queen, Megadeth, the Beatles (although I'm more of a Rolling Stones kind of guy), Judas Priest and obviously Metallica. I imagine if you're a body builder (I'm just judging from your picture) then most of those bands have some good work-out tunes.

TheGreatVampireKillerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thedandyman: If you like metal you should check out Dio or RJD era Black Sabbath stuff

rocketraccoonthingy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheDandyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thegreatvampirekillerx: Never really got into RJD, it's not that I don't like him and definitely appreciate his influence on metal but I'm not a big fan. Holy Diver is a good one though.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One Direction, Nickleback, Backstreet Boys, N Sync

LOL.

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 BumpyBoo  Moderator

Have you heard the new FNM album yet???

TheDandyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By TheDandyMan

@bumpyboo: I've only heard the singles so far cause I don't think the other tracks are on YouTube yet, normally I like to have a little bit more of an idea of the songs on an album before I buy it so I don't blow my small budget too much on let-downs but both Motherf!cker and Superhero (especially Superhero) were great imo. Have you heard it yet? How does it compare with, say, The Real thing?

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 BumpyBoo  Moderator

@thedandyman: Fear not hehe, they're on YouTube! And also Spotify if you use that at all :)

I kinda went in with mixed expectations. I adore Mike Patton above all other musicians hehe, and they're a fave band, but I'm very aware of how long it's been. Didn't want some kind of self-parody, or for it to be too much of an anti-climax, you know?

But wow. I must listen to at least some of it every single day since the album came out. SO agree with you on Superhero! And if you prefer that track to MF...yeah you'll probably dig this. It's kinda more like Angel Dust and King For a Day than The Real Thing IMO, but they're my two faves anyway :)

Standout tracks for me would be Cone of Shame, Matador, Superhero and Sunny Side Up. Agh, and MF. Also Separation Anxiety. And maybe...you know what? It's all good. A solid album, on all counts.

:D

TheGreatVampireKillerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rocketraccoonthingy: His best stuff was on Kill em All and he got a ton of that from Dave Mustaine. He was sick in the 80s but compared to a lot of other guys (Friedman) he falls short especially recently. Can anybody say wah pedal?

Also, never accuse me of listening to that trash, it may be hazardous to your health

TheDandyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By TheDandyMan

@bumpyboo: Oh dear, I've just been looking up "Sol Invictus", didn't occur to me that I should try searching for individual song titles instead. And wow, just listened to Cone of Shame, Matador and Sunny Side Up, all awesome. I might have to go and get this thing now.

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 BumpyBoo  Moderator

@thedandyman: Ha! Awesome, glad you're enjoying them so far, hope you like the rest of the album as much ^_^

Avatar image for planetcaptainamerica
planetcaptainamerica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

My top 10 favorite bands are (in no particular order)

Honorable Mentions: Type O Negative, D12, Led Zeppelin, Andrew W.K., Danzig, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, ZZ Top, Sex Pistols, Slipknot, Nine Inch Nails, Volbeat, Velvet Revolver, The Rolling Stones, U2, The Beatles, Eagles, Disturbed, Gazzette, and Rush.

(There will be 3 ties on my list)

• Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, and Slayer
  • Baby Metal
  • Busta Rhymes, 2PAC and Canibus
  • Kid Rock
  • Iron Maiden and Judas Priest
  • Katy Perry
  • Pink
  • Van Halen
  • Foo Fighters
  • Avenged Sevenfold
TheDandyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@planetcaptainamerica:Pretty good list, it's nice to see that you're not afraid of having the likes of Katy Perry and Pink up there with guys like Avenged Sevenfold and Foo Fighters. Some people are just like "It's pop so it must be rubbish" without even giving them a fair try.

Avatar image for planetcaptainamerica
planetcaptainamerica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@planetcaptainamerica:Pretty good list, it's nice to see that you're not afraid of having the likes of Katy Perry and Pink up there with guys like Avenged Sevenfold and Foo Fighters. Some people are just like "It's pop so it must be rubbish" without even giving them a fair try.

IKR!

rocketraccoonthingy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rocketraccoonthingy: His best stuff was on Kill em All and he got a ton of that from Dave Mustaine. He was sick in the 80s but compared to a lot of other guys (Friedman) he falls short especially recently. Can anybody say wah pedal?

Also, never accuse me of listening to that trash, it may be hazardous to your health

DUDE HOW ABOUT THE BLACK ALBUM? SHEESH

TRY ME BRO!!!!!!

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

I like the uniqueness of your taste and I too am a fan of Metallica and Sisters of Mercy. \m/

TheGreatVampireKillerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

rocketraccoonthingy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers