TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheAmazingSpidey
No Caption Provided

Before I begin - I'd like to clarify I have nothing against Giant Bomb, it's members or it's mods for that matter. If you're enjoying a solid experience on the site, then power to you and I'm glad you are. Here's sharing my honest experience with Giant Bomb. Here's my account below:

http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/miko1222/forums/?page=1

Notice my last post is 5 months ago, well... that's because I was banned. Why? Well - I was an active user, I recall I broke the rules about twice, although I cleared it up with the mods, and they genuinely liked me and I learned from my mistakes. Then my brother made an account - and here's his account below:

http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/-cipher-/

And my brother got the go ahead from some mods that he'd be able to make an account, everything worked smoothly and all... then we were both banned. So - back to our initial question -- why? Because some of the mods thought me and my brother were the same person. Here's my brother's Comic Vine account:

http://www.comicvine.com/profile/victorgrey/

That's pretty sad - considering me and my brother were both avid, brand new contributors to Giant Bomb, and we were banned under a wrong assumption, and then I emailed the mods, and one of the mods (I wont specify here) responded to my Email, directing me to yet another email address - to which I emailed several times... and now they wont reply to any of my messages. Again - looking back, it makes me gloomy because I would've liked continuing there and I would've liked to publish stuff on Metal Gear.

I also contacted other people on the internet, asking if they could vouch for me, and I only got one reply from someone who couldn't, and my other messages were ignored - and my IP address is banned too, and I wouldn't have created another account to trick them anyways. Well - just thought I'd share. Nothing big.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Haven't been there myself but the mods there seem to enjoy bringing out the banhammer rashly.

_Gaff_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I have read about GB's abusive mods before.

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

IGN is even worse.

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Yea, I was banned there too ages ago for something I don't even recall doing, but oh well. The users there are rude and the mods have quite a fetish for the ban hammer. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone to be totally honest.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#6 god_spawn  Moderator

Well, did your brother break the rules too? Because as a mod, we get the whole "my brother/sister/cousin hacked my account or made an account and trolled the site" excuse quite a bit. So if you and your brother share a computer or have the same IP address and because you broke the rules twice, if your brother broke the rules, then it just seems too coincidental and suspicious for the excuse to work. Now I'm only saying this if your brother broke the rules. Because you two share the same IP address, we as mods only have so much to go against. They shouldn't have banned you for 2 strikes unless you did something bad. But if they just up and banned both of you despite still only having two warnings, then I can see your gripe. But that is coming from as a mod and how we do things here.

VictorGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@god_spawn: I haven't broken any rules on either Comicvine or Giantbomb.

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I doubt that. Everyone on here who has been around a while has at least broken a rule once. There is nothing wrong or any shame in that.

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@victorgrey said:

I doubt that. Everyone on here who has been around a while has at least broken a rule once. There is nothing wrong or any shame in that.

Well, the mods over there have a very arbritary sense of rules anyways...

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrdecepticonleader said:

@victorgrey said:

Well, the mods over there have a very arbritary sense of rules anyways...

Ha ha. I could say the same about a couple of the rules on here too :) But most of them on here make sense at least.

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I have a GiantBomb account and saying that I like the site would be a lie.

The mods are like internet communists and I can never get a serious answer when I post a thread.

Avatar image for _cowboyfromhell_
_CowboyFromHell_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a lot of experience with giant bombs. I actually got banned from hell because of it.

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I had a similar experience on that site. They don't exactly have the friendliest mods over there.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@god_spawn: Yeah the Mods here tend to be more laid back, which honestly suits more than fine.

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Well, did your brother break the rules too? Because as a mod, we get the whole "my brother/sister/cousin hacked my account or made an account and trolled the site" excuse quite a bit. So if you and your brother share a computer or have the same IP address and because you broke the rules twice, if your brother broke the rules, then it just seems too coincidental and suspicious for the excuse to work. Now I'm only saying this if your brother broke the rules. Because you two share the same IP address, we as mods only have so much to go against. They shouldn't have banned you for 2 strikes unless you did something bad. But if they just up and banned both of you despite still only having two warnings, then I can see your gripe. But that is coming from as a mod and how we do things here.

Um... not at all, genuinely. My brother didn't break a single rule. Thing is... I was warned once or twice - once I recall I was insulted so it got... um... a bit personal - the other was admittedly completely my fault - but those were a long time ago. Me and my brother, the two of us, were avid contributors to the site, so, um... yeah.

This was completely the mod's fault.

- TAS

VictorGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@victorgrey said:

I don't know who 'everyone' is, because I haven't had to be contacted or notified by any moderators for breaking rules before the Giantbomb incident.

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That gives me good reason not to make an account there.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

People actually use Giant Bomb?

flashback0180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, do mods keep track of how many times we have broken the rules?

Now I'm paranoid <_> how many strikes do I have? @_@ 1, 3, 15,100?

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@victorgrey said:

I don't know who 'everyone' is, because I haven't had to be contacted or notified by any moderators for breaking rules before the Giantbomb incident.

Just saying that you have properly broken a rule at least once if you have been around a while. You don't have to get notified by mods to have broken a rule.

I am not disregarding the fact that the situation on giant bomb isn't silly.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@squares said:

There is more people active on Giant Bomb in a day than there is on Comic Vine in a week.

Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squares said:

It's used more than CV nowadays.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squares: It's true but the users don't really comment that much but they are bigger in numbers/usage currently.

VictorGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@victorgrey said:

@victorgrey said:

Just saying that you have properly broken a rule at least once if you have been around a while. You don't have to get notified by mods to have broken a rule.

That's still a absurd thing to say though. You are saying that every single user who's been around for 'a while' has broken a rule at least once. Breaking a rule is not a given though.

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@victorgrey said:

@victorgrey said:

That's still a absurd thing to say though. You are saying that every single user who's been around for 'a while' has broken a rule at least once. Breaking a rule is not a given though.

Not really. It could be any rule as minor as making a mistake on a wiki page.

Avatar image for beaconofstrength
BeaconofStrength

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BeaconofStrength

Yeah, I'm not extremely fond of Giant Bomb.

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#29  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

I like the videos they do from time to time, but I don't have any need to use there forums.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

I really dig the GiantBomb forums, you just have to understand it's an entirely different beast when it comes to community. The topics there are definitely a lot more straightforward, but discussions can span just as diversely as on here.