• 74 results
Avatar image for deactivated-60fae469e992f
deactivated-60fae469e992f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

What do you think are the most overrated video games of all time and why do you think so? I'll throw out my answers

Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past:

This game is really good and the pinacle of the 16 bit era, dont get me wrong, its just that when people say it was the best game in the series I cringe a little bit. It was good, in fact it was awesome. But the best? Compared to Majora's Mask, Ocarina of Time or Windwaker? Please.

Most of the enemies are a step up from Goombas, the story is lacking and many of the dungeons are the same. Its hard to see why people think this game in better than both of the amazing games that came after

Vanilla WoW:

I understand the charm of Vanilla WoW, I really do. However I cannot fathom why people would think it is better than every other expansion pack in the game ever simply because it was just plain broken. Leveling zones were broken and leveling was tedious for pretty much everything that wasn't a mage or hunter. Raids were not hard because they took skill but because they were massively buggy, overtuned and people simply were not as good as they are today. Raiding was impossible to get into because of gearing requirements and PvP was fun but a complete joke, with people in the High Warlord geat pretty much oneshotting people

Gen 1 Pokemon:

I don't understand this. Gen 1 doesn't have the best story, isnt the hardest, had extremely unbalanced competetive and was simply lacking in may things that shouldve logically been in the game to start with

GIliad_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I was never a Vanilla supremacist. The later expansions did feel a bit lacking but they never, in my opinion, actually damaged the game and I felt it always progressed even if it was at a considerably slower pace.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@giliad_ said:

I was never a Vanilla supremacist. The later expansions did feel a bit lacking but they never, in my opinion, actually damaged the game and I felt it always progressed even if it was at a considerably slower pace.

I personally think early-mid TBC and Wrath were the peaks of fun in WoW.

Vanilla wasn't mechanically difficult, which was what bothered me with it. The same can be said for mid-late TBC

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

The Last of Us

Avatar image for deactivated-57b01137cccc7
deactivated-57b01137cccc7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Last of Us

This. I can't see how anyone could get into such terrible gameplay

AkshSarpanch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GTA

Batman3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

I swear if someone say Uncharted 2...

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@touka said:
@jonny_anonymous said:

The Last of Us

This. I can't see how anyone could get into such terrible gameplay

And the storyline is so generic.

yeimsick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Every Call of Duty game

Avatar image for det_batsuperman
Det_BatSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Half life series

Heatblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Undertale.

LordOfTheLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By LordOfTheLight

Every GTA game ever, I swear I do not know what any sane human being sees in them.

Avatar image for deactivated-59dfd33ed3601
deactivated-59dfd33ed3601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cpt_nice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Last of Us

Overrated? Sure. MOST overrated? Jeez, I strongly disagree.

cpt_nice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GTA V

THis I can totally get behind. I would say FF VII is also up there, gamers act like it lactates whipped cream. Also, Ocarina of Time

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@cpt_nice said:
@jonny_anonymous said:

The Last of Us

Overrated? Sure. MOST overrated? Jeez, I strongly disagree.

Game sites have voted it the game of the generation, if that's not making it the most overrated I don't know what is.

cpt_nice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: A game which is way less coherent with an 'even' simpeler story, less engaging characters, worse music and totally outdated graphics consistently getting the award for best game of all time? Because that is what Ocarina of Time was doing 15 years after its release, and I still often see it pass by in people's top games of all time.

VashtaNerada88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By VashtaNerada88

I don't see how you can think LoZ: LthP has a bad story.......Plus you said it yourself, it's a game coming from an entirely different era, they didn't have much to work with back then but they still made it great. Funny/interesting NPC's, full freedom to roam anywhere on the map, unique items/weapons, lengthy story line. (personally i though the majority of dungeons were also done well)

IMHO i think it's GTA but Last of Us is as badly overrated

Avatar image for flashoftommorow
FlashofTommorow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By FlashofTommorow

Final Fantasy VI.

Yeah it's good. It's awesome even.

But is it the best?

No.

I personally prefer FFV.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By silent_bomber

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - I'd rather play any other main branch Sonic game on Mega Drive tbh.

I always got flack for criticising Ocarina back in the day too, that game's camera is terrible and the story is erratic and feels forced.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vashtanerada88 said:

I don't see how you can think LoZ: LthP has a bad story.......Plus you said it yourself, it's a game coming from an entirely different era, they didn't have much to work with back then but they still made it great. Funny/interesting NPC's, full freedom to roam anywhere on the map, unique items/weapons, lengthy story line. (personally i though the majority of dungeons were also done well)

The story just seemed.............simplistic to me. Not bad. Its just that when people praise it to be the best in the series when the two games following it up (especially Majora's Mask in he story department) had much deeper and more in-depth stories, much better graphics and easily as good if not better gameplay. Disregarding water temples for ovbious reasons.

I find a lot of people are blinded by pure nostalgia on that one, especially when they say its the best of the best. Especially becuase it was everything Zelda fans wanted at the time.

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shadow of the Colossus

SheenLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Skyrim, FF8 & FFX, Goldeneye, any Zelda, The Witcher

Undertale.

Lies.

Avatar image for infantfinite128
infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By infantfinite128

The original Metal Gear Solid is the most overrated game that I've played. The controls are lousy and the characters and plot are poorly written. Solid Snake is like the Barney the Dinosaur meets Wolverine. I much preferred Big Boss. It's so preachy and it's done in such a childish manner. The dialogue is awful! Metal Gear Solid 2 is even more pretentious with it's cliched and recycled plot to get us to another Illuminati/Mason conspiracy, but I still think it was a very good game if you can push through the abysmal Raiden/Rose Titanic tribute relationship. At first, it seems like Metal Gear Solid games are parodies of B movies, but then I read interviews by Kojima, and I realized he's just a lousy writer. Plus, his pervy humor is embarrassing (his defense of Quiet was ridiculous).

Metal Gear Solid 3 is cheesy as heck and it has some control issues, but I think it deserves all the praise it gets. I also think Metal Gear Solid V deserves the praise it got as well even though there is a lot of story issues and repetition.

Mekboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By Mekboy
Avatar image for echostarlord117
echostarlord117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People only like Vanilla WoW because of nostalgia. It was technically a worse game than TBC and WotLK (it was still awesome, though). That being said, partly due to nostalgia, TBC was the best in my opinion. The addition of Blood Elves and Draenei was too much for me to handle, the story was engaging, questing was still interesting, and PvP was super fun. Plus, raiding was a really serious thing back then. I wasn't that into it at the time, but it was at least respectable then. It had some balancing issues that were more or less fixed in WotLK, but overall, it was great.

Also, all of the Pokémon generations suck. Pokémon is just a bad game.

If I had to pick an overrated game, it'd be GTA V. That game is quite literally the definition of mindless fun. Sure, the graphics are great, the gameplay is fun, and the story is fine, but it's just... meh. People treat it like the second coming of Christ. It's not that good, honestly.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By renamed040924

Pokemon. I just don't get it, the franchise made it a tradition to force you to buy the same game twice just to get the full package. How is that acceptable?

I just can't get into Shadow of the Colossus, and believe me I've tried.

Avatar image for mr_nofunallowed
Mr_NoFunAllowed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Portal and it's sequel.

Pls don't kill me.

removekebab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By removekebab

Any Uncharted, The Last of Us, MGS4. Boring moviegames.

Dark Souls and Bloodborne. They're still good games but the terrible fanbase wanks them too much and forget that second half of both is mediocre.

Fallout 3 and 4, Skyrim. Copypasted dungeons filled with drau-err, I mean ghouls, combat that requires no skill or planning, boring, unimaginative worlds. Come on Todd, you can do better.

VashtaNerada88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@decaf_wizard: You make some solid points and I can't help but agree that nostalgia can clout the mind.

But compared to Zelda I&II (it's predecessors) ; LttP was the best one out there for awhile and even Awakening ,which came after, wasn't as good. (although Awakening did have a really awesome story).

OoT & MM were both on the N64, so they had a natural advantage in the graphics department, which kinda goes hand&hand with gameplay IMO. But we can't cut the other one short because of it's shortcoming with things like graphics. The N64 just had more capacity to make the world of Hyrule bigger and better(more interactive). I too liked MM & OoT more than LttP but i wouldn't think it's being overrated, it IS a great game......then again i love them all =P

to me the zelda franchise stands alone, there are obviously games that are better than some of their games but franchise vs. franchise, it's zelda; then everything else. (so yeah....im pretty bias LOL)

VashtaNerada88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heatblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Skyrim, FF8 & FFX, Goldeneye, any Zelda, The Witcher

@heatblaze123 said:

Undertale.

Lies.

I can't beleive you think FF8 is overrated >.<!

Among the FF fandom for some reason they think it is bad.

PeterParkerJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Final Fantasy VII.

TheSpoiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By frogdog

Uncharted series.

Without set pieces or HD graphics, this franchise wouldn't exist.

SheenLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Last of Us. Because I don't have a PS.

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FFVI. It's a solid game. No more, no less.

hirev_starman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Super Mario 64. I mean sure Mario games are adventurous but if you stop to think about it, all you do is go to the same worlds and have to collect all 8 stars. They are very small too. Enjoyable but so repetitive.

Omega_kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monsterstomp: I had PS3 for a brief amount of time and played the TLOU I didn't see what was so good about it you had to stay crouched almost the entire game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@echostarlord117 said:

Plus, raiding was a really serious thing back then. I wasn't that into it at the time, but it was at least respectable then. It had some balancing issues that were more or less fixed in WotLK

Just a thing about the raiding. Early TBC raiding wasn't any better than Vanilla mechanically but it was ultra fun. Mechanically there was somthing completely boned about most every raid in the early days. Magtheridon's trash was harder then the actual boss, Gruul being easier to kill with less than 20 people, Solarium being impossible after until two nerfs, Kael being impossible before first phase was fixed, Lady Vashj impossible to kill without exploit before bugfix, Gruul trash respawning in the middle of the fight, class stacking of being required to down certain bosses, ect. The majority didn't experience that though.

Heck its not even reasonable to say the gearing issue got any better, just look at the 1% of players that got to experence Sunwell

I have nothing bad to say about Kara though. Other than that the loot was bad and the chess event sucked. Easily best raid in xpac

Blacksmith_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mikethekiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By mikethekiller

Super Mario Bros. series

Sonic

Assassins Creed series

Final Fantasy X

Grand Theft Auto V

Shot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Shot

Pokemon go

Avatar image for BappyRonChantin
BappyRonChantin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@shot said:

Pokemon go

quoting it, even though I haven't played it yet lol

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

The entirety of the Metal Gear series.

Avatar image for hocko1999_virus
Hocko1999_VIRUS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Last of Us,

Avatar image for manmadeofketchup
ManMadeOfKetchup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People only like Vanilla WoW because of nostalgia. It was technically a worse game than TBC and WotLK (it was still awesome, though). That being said, partly due to nostalgia, TBC was the best in my opinion. The addition of Blood Elves and Draenei was too much for me to handle, the story was engaging, questing was still interesting, and PvP was super fun. Plus, raiding was a really serious thing back then. I wasn't that into it at the time, but it was at least respectable then. It had some balancing issues that were more or less fixed in WotLK, but overall, it was great.

Also, all of the Pokémon generations suck. Pokémon is just a bad game.

If I had to pick an overrated game, it'd be GTA V. That game is quite literally the definition of mindless fun. Sure, the graphics are great, the gameplay is fun, and the story is fine, but it's just... meh. People treat it like the second coming of Christ. It's not that good, honestly.

I have to disagree, WOTLK was better than TBC because it was pretty much the peak of WoW. The storytelling was better, Northrend was a lot more appealing to the eyes than Outland was, the introduction of phasing finally made it feel like you had an effect when you finished quests, the Wrathgate is still one of the most chilling cinematics in WoW(Though sadly they removed the storming the Undercity part afterwards because that was awesome), and, well,...Arthas > Illidan. WOTLK was like the conclusion to the end of Warcraft's good storytelling..Cata and on was eh.

Anyways to the OP, I agree with Vanilla WoW. Nothing's more annoying than seeing all those people wanting legacy servers on Blizzard's facebook/twitter pages. I played during the Vanilla days and it was terrible. It took FOREVER to do anything..Nothing I hated more than spending a week or two in Westfall when leveling. Most of those people only want to remember the good while ignoring the bad..I think they have this misconception that Vanilla WoW was like the Dark Souls difficulty of Wow, except it wasn't..It was just time consuming.

For me, I'd have to say the most overrated game would have to be the Halo series. I've played Halo and yeah they're fun but I never saw what was so great about them like some say. I was never fond of how you couldn't really aim when firing most weapons, like you fired from the hip. I prefer stuff like Destiny, COD, or pretty much any other shooter. Idk, I guess it's just a preference thing in that regard. The story never struck me as being all that compelling even including the books.

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#50  Edited By dngn4774

@shot said:

Pokemon go

Yep. The gym battles are just button mashing, and the candy grinding makes the game almost unbearable. It's a useful way to get excerise, but then again, so is a real gym.