Memorial Day 2

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By HeroUp2112

I know what it means to me, but Memorial Day might mean other things to other people. I love America, and my service, but America isn't always an easy place. My brother sent this too men on Memorial Day a few years because he thought I'd "get it". I hope I did.

mimisalome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By mimisalome

@heroup2112:

Looks like a pretty racially divisive video if you asked me...

and the only message that i could get is that regardless of skin color you should stay away from Detroit.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heroup2112:

Looks like a pretty racially divisive video if you asked me...

and the only message that i could get is that regardless of skin color you should stay away from Detroit.

I can understand how it could definitely be interpreted that way. To me it has more to do with how the fight to be free is different for different people (it also is indicative of the time it was supposed to have taken place...during Vietnam and the Civil Rights movement...however it can also be taken as universal of the struggles that still go on, although today things aren't NEARLY that bad in the same way), depending on where they are, even if they're in the same country.

mimisalome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mimisalome

@heroup2112:

Im not an american so im ignorant much about the civil rights movement but did the US government actually send the military to massac... ehmm... violently suppress blacks (im assuming theres a riot going on) in Detroit as the video seems to imply?

Because im kinda thinking that both the dead black child and the dead (white?) soldier died during the first violent part of the video.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heroup2112:

Im not an american so im ignorant much about the civil rights movement but did the US government actually send the military to massac... ehmm... violently suppress blacks (im assuming theres a riot going on) in Detroit as the video seems to imply?

Because im kinda thinking that both the dead black child and the dead (white?) soldier died during the first violent part of the video.

No, the the military during the Civil Rights movement did not actually violently suppress inner city violence like is depicted in the video, that was hyperbole. It was meant to (I think possibly unfairly, but again...hyperbole.) Meant to portray violence perpetrated against (especially) inner city blacks by the establishment. It's a complicated video meant to address complicated issues. It uses the Vietnam/Civil Rights era to address the greater issues of patriotism and the fight against oppression both nationally and within the country. That's the way I've interpreted it at any rate. I'm not sure all of the depictions are "fair", but I think it makes its point.

Yes, the soldier (who is presumably white, since his family and widow are portrayed as white), and the dead black child died in the first violent part of the video.