JamieWolfe7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By JamieWolfe7

What is HEMA?

HEMA means Historical European Martial Arts, and is a reference to the fighting techniques of Europe from the 19th century and earlier. I've elected to do this week's presentation on explaining this due to several references I've made to the term, which I myself didn't know until about a year back. Most people don't think of the majority of European fighting arts as Martial Arts, but they meet the strictest definition.

Most European fighting arts are past down by way of tradition, much like they are in Asia and elsewhere. Others are being reconstructed through texts and artistic portraits. They are as precisely recorded and performed as martial arts from elsewhere, and as easily identifiable to those who know them. Some are ethnic and traditional, some are purely military.

This article is to present a list of fighting arts that fit this, some I've already written on and some may be in a future article. Each will have a paragraph to explain where its from and perhaps defining characteristics. Some are obscure, some you may have heard of but not realized what it was.

No Caption Provided

Pankration

No Caption Provided

Pankration is the fighting art of ancient Greece, most famously Sparta. It's still practiced today by the Greco Roman reconstructionist community and other historical enthusiasts. It is said to have been invented by Hercules and Theseus. Over the centuries it has evolved into what we chiefly think of today as grecoroman wrestling, and its influence has been felt across Europe and perhaps the world. Within this freewheeling artform, only biting and gouging are necessarily prohibitted.

Glima

No Caption Provided

The fighting arts of the Northmen. Mostly a very distinct form of standup wrestling, like many designations it is an umbrella term for a variety of ethnic fighting forms to be found from Scandinavia to Denmark historically. In legend and lore, it is said to have been invented by Thor himself who would preside over matches as the god of competition. Today, it is practiced around the world as both sporting and defensive arts. It is also practiced by certain militaries today as well.

Savate

No Caption Provided

The codified streetfighting arts of France. Born in the back alleys of Paris and the docks of Marseilles in the late 18th to early 19th centuries as an open handed kickboxing style, it grew into what some coin the national fighting art of France. Today it has both, an avid sporting base as well as self defense practice community.

Paranza Corta

No Caption Provided

Also known as Scherma di stiletto Siciliano, or Sicilian knife fighting. It is considered by some authorities to be among the greatest knife fighting systems in the world. Practitioners favor a thin piercing blade called the stilleto, which was originally conceived as an assassin's blade capable of piercing thick leather or chainmail with equal ease. Practitioners drill in dances comparable to the East Asian martial arts drills common to Kung Fu, and are instructed to be proficient in a variety of situations and with everyday articles such as coats and caps.

Fencing

There is contention over fencing being categorized as HEMA, and strictly speaking it isn't. However, there are distinct forms of fencing that are HEMA. Various forms of rapier fencing and longsword fencing are recognized within the HEMA community, and some are ancient. Of particular note is italian rapier fencing, which has been well preserved through texts and panels going back over six hundred years.

Quarterstaffing

Texts still exist from the 15th and 16th centuries of staff forms and dueling arts with the staff. Prior to the 16th century, the quarter staff was the duelist's choice in rural communities. It wasn't until the 17th that boxing effectively replaced it. In the 19th century, Victorian Europe, it was still practiced and even experienced innovations of a fashion amidst the twilight of its public practice.

Irish Stand Down

No Caption Provided

Practiced to this day, it is a form of bare knuckle boxing particular to the Irish. It rejects the ring, but other than that does follow common customs of fisticuff dueling. This ethnic fighting art is similar in most regards to other forms of bare knuckle boxing, such as Russian Fist Fighting. Its most notorious practitioners in the modern era are probably the Irish Gypsies.

Esgrima de navaja

No Caption Provided

A lethal form of Spanish knife fighting that favors a distinct folding knife. The Navaja is a folding knife whose origins predate the Roman Empire. It is the ancestor of all folding knives, such as the barber's razor. To this day the weapon can still be seen in use by Spanish gypsies, and is a traditional weapon in some places.

More to come!

This is by no means all of them, but they are the more significant or curious ones with which I am at least passingly familiar. As this blog continues, I may come across more. As that happens, I'll bring them to you in my blog here. This episode is just to give everyone a glimpse of the rich martial heritage of Europe and make our community at large aware that we here in the West have one of our own. It is every bit as colorful and ancient as that to be found in the East, although it hasn't weathered the onslaught of technology and progress quite as well. Through awareness and cultural appreciation it is possible to reverse at least some of the harm done.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

As always, this is high speed, very interesting, and informative.

JamieWolfe7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Errorinscript

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jamiewolfe7: Around the world?

Don't you mean ONLY Europe?

Lol you're funny.

FicOPedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 230

Looking forward to the quarterstaffing issue. :)

JamieWolfe7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ficopedia: Fear not, I'll get around to it, but alas my fans are crying over how long I've spent touring Europe :p

oldwasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

ooh very nice! dot have time to read this now but looking forward to looking at it later

FicOPedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 230

@jamiewolfe7: Bah humbug to them! Bah humbug I say! You'll get to other places when you get there! :)

Errorinscript

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JamieWolfe7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jamiewolfe7: Bah humbug to them! Bah humbug I say! You'll get to other places when you get there! :)

Indeed. I've only been to America, Thailand twice, China, France, Scandinavia...