• 93 results
#1 Posted by ParagonNate (3947 posts) - - Show Bio

Knightfall is an upcoming series about the last days of the Templar Order from the History channel looking to be in the same vein as Vikings.

The trailer.

Well I'm looking forward to it, looks pretty good. What does anyone else think?

#2 Posted by ParagonNate (3947 posts) - - Show Bio
#3 Edited by Wut (5228 posts) - - Show Bio

@paragonnate: Eh. I mean.. eh. It looks okay. I'll give it a try. Would rather see the Teutonic Order and Lithuania though.

#4 Posted by ParagonNate (3947 posts) - - Show Bio

@wut said:

@paragonnate: Eh. I mean.. eh. It looks okay. I'll give it a try. Would rather see the Teutonic Order and Lithuania though.

Guarantee it'll be better than most of the other reality show garbage that's polluted the channel lately.

#5 Posted by Khael (14634 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks like Stronghold, I'll watch it for sure.

#6 Edited by Wut (5228 posts) - - Show Bio

@paragonnate: But can you imagine a Teutonic/Lithuania-Poland show building up to the Battle of Grunwald? Would have knights, multiple different nations and factions, Christians vs Pagans, diplomacy... war.. just.. to me, it would be far more interesting then throwing in the search for the Holy Grail to make the death of the Templar more interesting.

#7 Edited by phillip33 (1334 posts) - - Show Bio

If it's anywhere near as good as Vikings, then I'll enjoy it.

#8 Edited by ParagonNate (3947 posts) - - Show Bio

@wut said:

@paragonnate: But can you imagine a Teutonic/Lithuania-Poland show building up to the Battle of Grunwald? Would have knights, multiple different nations and factions, Christians vs Pagans, diplomacy... war.. just.. to me, it would be far more interesting then throwing in the search for the Holy Grail to make the death of the Templar more interesting.

You know what? Why not both? *Mexican music*

History channel! Get right on that!

#9 Posted by Wut (5228 posts) - - Show Bio

@paragonnate: Lol rather have one very good show then two underfunded shows. XD

#10 Posted by ParagonNate (3947 posts) - - Show Bio

@wut said:

@paragonnate: Lol rather have one very good show then two underfunded shows. XD

Welp, guess we hold our breath and cross our fingers. If Vikings is any indication though........yay

#11 Edited by JediXMan (40252 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks good!

... I still need to watch Vikings >_>

#12 Posted by ParagonNate (3947 posts) - - Show Bio

Also, appropriate.

Loading Video...

#13 Posted by ParagonNate (3947 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman said:

Looks good!

... I still need to watch Vikings >_>

Yes. You. Do.
Yes. You. Do.

#14 Posted by SirFizzWhizz (34266 posts) - - Show Bio

I was always fascinated that there was two Templar Orders. The Knight Hospitaller and Knight Templar. Fascinated that Hospitaller was less in number to Templars, but Templars died out quickly before the end of the Holy Wars. Hospitaller exist to this day in spirit. Hospitaller were about the innocents, and helping the weak, as well defending them as needed. Templars were brutes seeking riches and fame, attacking foes wherever they could. Interesting if this dynamic is shown in the series. Many people mistake Hospitaller as Templars.

#15 Posted by ParagonNate (3947 posts) - - Show Bio

badabump

#16 Posted by The_Red_Viper (10702 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks cool. I'll definitely give it a try.

#17 Edited by Wolfrazer (14769 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks amazing.

Finally history on the history channel....well ok dramatical history but you know. Better than these reality shows.

#18 Edited by ParagonNate (3947 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks amazing.

Finally history on the history channel....well ok dramatical history but you know. Better than these reality shows.

I know right!

#19 Posted by Necromancer76 (2338 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow.

I'm watching this.

#20 Edited by Wolfrazer (14769 posts) - - Show Bio

One thing I can never seem to get behind, are the helmets. I get it, head protection and all, but when your only way to see is through a small opening and you don't have your peripheral vision...that bothers me. I mean the helmets are cool, but like....it still obscures your sight..

#21 Posted by ParagonNate (3947 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolfrazer: Yes the great helm limited vision, which is why most knights utilized shields at nearly all times. Sacrificing vision for protection during the initial charge, since they almost always started battles charging with a lance. After the initial clash many knights would remove the helmet and rely on the mail coif and shield for protection and regain periferal vision.

Really though they trained like crazy so they were used to it and knew how to compensate.

#22 Posted by Wolfrazer (14769 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for echostarlord117
#23 Posted by echostarlord117 (4454 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought this was about something completely different...

On topic, this looks pretty cool. I will definitely give it a watch.

#24 Edited by Rag_man (1337 posts) - - Show Bio

Been tracking this myself. I can't wait! Although horribly inaccurate, which is ashame because there so many true stories from this period that are so rich, but it should give me my dose from this period that I've been hungering for awhile now. I hope at least we get some HEMA style legit fighting scenes.

Other than watching Kingdom of Heaven for the umpteenth time I've been relying on this site: https://www.youtube.com/user/RealCrusadeHistory

#25 Posted by ParagonNate (3947 posts) - - Show Bio

tada!

#26 Posted by ParagonNate (3947 posts) - - Show Bio

bump

#27 Posted by ParagonNate (3947 posts) - - Show Bio

bump

#28 Posted by ParagonNate (3947 posts) - - Show Bio

bump

#29 Edited by Wolfrazer (14769 posts) - - Show Bio

@khael: @wut: @jedixman: @sirfizzwhizz: @the_red_viper: @necromancer76: @echostarlord117: @rag_man: @paragonnate:

GUYS! That first episoooode!

Also awesome that the guy who played Crassus in Spartacus is in this!

I liked it! Grand Master Godfrey kicked ass! (RIP..)

Sucks that they lost the Holy Grail in such a fashion, kinda wondering how it was recovered given the circumstances...that opening scene with the horse charge tho, awesome.

The Templars were dressed to the nines with swagger and that was great, all of em had beards too from what I could tell, so that's accurate. I also like that they seemed to portray them as heads better than any other in combat form, Landry completely schooled Philip.

#30 Posted by ParagonNate (3947 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolfrazer: bro haven't seen it yet, will watch it soon

#31 Edited by Wolfrazer (14769 posts) - - Show Bio
#32 Posted by ParagonNate (3947 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolfrazer: Eh it's fine. They'd have to lose the Holy Grail in the first place to find it again anyway.

#33 Posted by ParagonNate (3947 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolfrazer: Grrrr, can't believe i missed the premiere. Wonder if it reruns later tonight.

#34 Edited by Wolfrazer (14769 posts) - - Show Bio

@paragonnate: It's on an encore now! Though that might be too late too..also haha, true, it's just the way that it happened, man.

#35 Posted by ParagonNate (3947 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolfrazer: *happy dance* direct tv has a playback option so I just started it over. Watching now

#36 Edited by Wolfrazer (14769 posts) - - Show Bio
#37 Posted by The_Red_Viper (10702 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow I totally forgot about that.

#38 Posted by ParagonNate (3947 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolfrazer: ugh. Direct tv is not agreeing with me. Keeps skipping me back to the shows current run time rather than where I really was. Manages to get the first 20 minutes or so before o gave up and set it to record a rerun at 2 AM. Will finish it some time tomorrow.

#39 Posted by Wolfrazer (14769 posts) - - Show Bio
#40 Posted by ParagonNate (3947 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolfrazer: I was fond of the helmet cams they used. Interesting way to see their faces during a battle with the great helms on.

Avatar image for major_hellstorm
#41 Posted by Major_Hellstorm (10438 posts) - - Show Bio

Ooooh, I want to watch this for sure. Is this based on reality though? Never knew people actually chased after the Holy Grail.

#42 Posted by Wolfrazer (14769 posts) - - Show Bio
#43 Posted by ParagonNate (3947 posts) - - Show Bio

Ooooh, I want to watch this for sure. Is this based on reality though? Never knew people actually chased after the Holy Grail.

It's based on reality in that the Knights Templar and other key figures in the show were real people yes. King Phillip of France for example. The actual events about the Grail are fictional as far as I know.

#44 Posted by Major_Hellstorm (10438 posts) - - Show Bio

@paragonnate: So the characters are real but the plot isn't? That's kinda lame. I was hoping it would be more historically accurate. I am sure the Templars had a real story worth telling.

#45 Posted by Wolfrazer (14769 posts) - - Show Bio

@paragonnate: So the characters are real but the plot isn't? That's kinda lame. I was hoping it would be more historically accurate. I am sure the Templars had a real story worth telling.

I mean there is some speculation about them having a Grail, but as far as anything else, who knows. Though this show is also suppose to go down to the last days of the Order, so I'm sure there's also gonna be some accurate plot thrown in ontop of whatever else they're doing.

The dress and setting thus far seem accurate enough.

#46 Posted by Major_Hellstorm (10438 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolfrazer: Hmm. I'm gonna watch it. The trailer alone was epic. How many episodes are out?

#47 Posted by ParagonNate (3947 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolfrazer: Hmm. I'm gonna watch it. The trailer alone was epic. How many episodes are out?

First episode aired last night.

#48 Posted by Major_Hellstorm (10438 posts) - - Show Bio

@paragonnate: Where can I find it.......not behind a paywall or TV?

#49 Edited by ParagonNate (3947 posts) - - Show Bio
#50 Edited by Wolfrazer (14769 posts) - - Show Bio

@paragonnate: So what did ya think?

Also apparently Knightfall does have a historian expert on the show, so I'm sure as far as clothing, mannerisms and the like goes, the show will be accurate enough. Well give or take a few things I'm sure depending on what the show wants/does.