Kendrick Lamar Controversy

• 57 results
Ryokuma100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

This situation deals with the usage of a certain word. Be respectful in this thread.

Kendrick Lamar stops white fan using N-word on stage at concert ...

http://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-44209141

What do you think of the situation?

If you can't open the link, basically Kendrick Lamar invited a white lady to sing M.A.A.D City on stage with him at a concert. The situation ended off bad for her as she said the N-word on stage (as the song utilized the word pretty consistently). There were boos and remarks by Kendrick and the people watching. There's now a pour of people defending her and attacking her choice to say it.

It's is being hinted at on some sites (don't know if it's true or not) that the situation was staged and that Kendrick set it up.

Opinions?

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
Ready_4_Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just thought it was a funny situation. If I was Kendrick I would just get a black person to do it.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is ridiculous. If he doesn't want people using that word, he shouldn't be using it himself. He's a total hypocrite.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bdfefecea198
deactivated-5bdfefecea198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds like it was either staged or she was led into a trap.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@awshucks said:

Ya it was a total set up in my opinion. I believe he screwed her over just to get people talking and get press.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bdfefecea198
deactivated-5bdfefecea198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: I hope she was at least in on it and is getting some sort of payment.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awshucks: I hope so too otherwise that would really be fracked up.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f5eba8f0a2dd
deactivated-5f5eba8f0a2dd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone got a video of it?

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Past is past, why cant black people move on? they're not the only ones whose ancestors have experienced slavery.

The n word used to be a non offensive word.

Are historians sure the n word was used for derogatory purposes? Or isnt using the n word to call/describe them sounded less derogatory than calling them black?

i mean, imagine those times, instead of the americans using the n word, they use the word "black" to call them like "come here black"

I think they used the n word as a better substitute for "black"

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

The one I found maybe someone has a better one.

@tonymartial:

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im on a mobile so i couldnt edit my post above. Anyway, if my post above sounds offensive, which isnt my intention, then please delete my post.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b17f1b84ea5f
deactivated-5b17f1b84ea5f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's a goddamn word, and it's not THATword, it's slang.

inb4 "you don't get the history though"

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And id like to add.

If the n word is an offensive word, then why would black people use it and that you cant use it if you're not black?

It just doesnt make sense to say the word is offensive but they are the only ones who can use it, using the n word on their daily lives, adding the n word to their speeches, songs, etc. If the n word is really offensive then why wouldnt it be not offensive if theyre the ones using the n word?

and why other races are included when we are not americans?

if only black people can use it, to what extent? Only pure black people ?

Filipinos started with 3 races, aetas malay and indones. Aetas are darkskinned to, we call them other variations of the n word and it isnt offensive. If assuming some Aetas or dark skinned filipinos find the other variations of the n word offensive, but using the "black" term is more offensive

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@NarutoBleachFan, r u sure, the n word is only referring to the slang?

Never mind, ill ask my african-american friend instead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It shouldn't be said unless someone gives you permission to say it in front of them. People don't go around saying other racially charged terms unless it's accepted amongst those that presence.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b84aca03eae8
deactivated-5b84aca03eae8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She shouldn't have said it. The girl could've kept singing the lyrics and omitted that inappropriate word. But Kendrick knew very well the song would have that derogatory word and yet he invited the girl on stage anyways. Not the right song for that since it would cause controversy.

RL4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yea not touching this one.

removekebab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Totally not a publicity stunt, guise.

Yassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Why invite her for that song then? Don't set people up.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe Lamar was tired already and wanna go home so he called a white fan and hope to say the n word so he can have a good reason to stop the show and go home.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why even invite a non-black person, in this case a white girl on stage to sing a song with him that has the n word in it? Dumbass. "Hold on...hold on you gotta bleep one word....should she stay up here?" Lame ass shit lmao. Might as well have been a setup.

KingCrimson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a big Kendrick fan and I think he's a genius, but he was an idiot for that.

How can you knowingly call up a white woman and ask her to sing the song that YOU WROTE and then get pissed when she sings it like you ASKED HER TO?

RL4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's racist.

godzilla44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kendrick is 100% in the blame here

Malzahaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lost respect for Kebdrick on that one.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49375365792
deactivated-5e49375365792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is ridiculous. If he doesn't want people using that word, he shouldn't be using it himself. He's a total hypocrite.

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 juiceboks  Moderator

I could already tell what the majority of these comments would be just from the title..

Ready_4_Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrmonster: I don’t agree with what he done but knowing what that word is I don’t think it’s as simple as “if he doesn’t want people using it then he shouldn’t”. It’s a part of his culture so he’s going to use it and he can, it’s common knowledge that it’s offensive when white people say it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ready_4_madness: That's still stupid to find it offensive. There's a difference between a white woman saying "Nigga" regularly and using it as a term of greeting or for a friend, and using it for mocking that culture.

I understand why some people would get offended, but it's just stupid to overreact to a person singing a song that has the word in it.

I mean, should white people be offended if fictional characters (who are white) be portrayed by black people?

I find this whole controversy stupid, anyone who gets offended by another race doing something in their "culture" in a non-hateful way is the real problem.

Ready_4_Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@narutobleachfan: it is what it is though, even if she didn’t mean it in an offensive way, it’s still known white people shouldn’t say it, am I wrong? I do think Kendrick overreacted, I do think he shouldn’t of ask that from a white person if he felt like using the word would be an issue. And I do think people on social media are overreacting about the situation in general, it’s not that deep.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ready_4_madness: Tbh i don't think anyone should be saying the word, and the lady should have known what she was going to say. This whole thing could have been avoided if Kendrick talked to her in private afterward. It's sad how people fight over these things.

Ready_4_Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@narutobleachfan: It is sad to see people fight about these things, I think situations like this are just petty and not even necessary. The world would be a much better place if we worked on unity, things like this just seperates is.

Thedailybagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thedailybagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I personally thought it was pretty stupid on Kendrick’s part tbh. For the record, I’m a huge Kendrick fan and I detest when white people use the N- word (I’m white) but I’m aware that lots of people do it when singing or rapping along to something.

He shouldn’t have brought a white fan on stage to sing a memorable section that uses the N- word repeatedly if he didn’t want them using the word.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Typical CV

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awshucks said:

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 juiceboks  Moderator

@juiceboks: what’s your opinion on it?

I wouldn't have brought her on stage to begin with but people are reacting as if Kendrick ripped her in front of thousands and kicked her off stage. He gave her another chance and her initial reaction was fairly dismissive of what he was trying to say. It's not hard to not say one word that has so much history behind it, even in a song. Just because you enjoy an artist's music doesn't mean the messages in the song are for you. Like the word in the context of the song has absolutely nothing to do with white people..at all. But it's catchy so people of all backgrounds can enjoy it. Out of respect for the artist and the people he's clearly trying to speak to/about..just don't say it.

The idea that he's a hypocrite for this though is laughable.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Not even a controversy. Kendrick shouldn't have brought a white person on stage to sing a song that has the N Word in it like 50 times. But at least he didn't overreact about it--unlike the internet.

AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

So stupid

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jayz and Beyonce had all their audience (black, white, asians, etc) say the n word. Even Kanye West.

Lamar doesnt deserve a Grammy.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awshucks said:

GIliad_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By GIliad_

@juiceboks said:
@thedailybagel said:

@juiceboks: what’s your opinion on it?

I wouldn't have brought her on stage to begin with but people are reacting as if Kendrick ripped her in front of thousands and kicked her off stage. He gave her another chance and her initial reaction was fairly dismissive of what he was trying to say. It's not hard to not say one word that has so much history behind it, even in a song. Just because you enjoy an artist's music doesn't mean the messages in the song are for you. Like the word in the context of the song has absolutely nothing to do with white people..at all. But it's catchy so people of all backgrounds can enjoy it. Out of respect for the artist and the people he's clearly trying to speak to/about..just don't say it.

The idea that he's a hypocrite for this though is laughable.

I dunno lad, like I'm white af ngl but I'd have a go at a lad for using the word as an insult or just like nonchalantly. But in a song? I honestly couldn't care less. Now put me on a stage an ask me to sing Maad City an I just wouldn't because I know I'd get in shit from it but if I'm by meself or with me mates then I'll use it without a second thought. U ever tried getting singing like a f***ing radio edit? Imagine trying to get into Ceelo Green's "F**k You" an cutting urself every time it swears... just feels dodgy as. An I know I'm not black but I've still got an opinion so... but I do have a few black mates who don't really care as well.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

I have a weird relationship with words that can be used almost casually by some people, but if certain people talking to the same people use that word then it becomes horrendously offensive somehow.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Though Drake is my favorite in today's current rap artists, i like Lamar too and have high respect on him but what he did made me not look high on him anymore, to the point that he doesn't deserve to win awards in the future. Why did Grammy made him win anyway. He is not a good model. He uses the f-word on his songs and I just realized his songs are like ranting songs.

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By uugieboogie

@jhazzroucher said:

Past is past, why cant black people move on? they're not the only ones whose ancestors have experienced slavery.

The n word used to be a non offensive word.

Are historians sure the n word was used for derogatory purposes? Or isnt using the n word to call/describe them sounded less derogatory than calling them black?

i mean, imagine those times, instead of the americans using the n word, they use the word "black" to call them like "come here black"

I think they used the n word as a better substitute for "black"

Gotta love comicvine

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@uugieboogie: He's from the philipines. English isn't his first language and he not up on many of American social idiosyncrasies so don't hold him to the same standard.

madcrusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:

@uugieboogie: He's from the philipines. English isn't his first language and he not up on many of American social idiosyncrasies so don't hold him to the same standard.

maybe he should read a history book and inform himself before making comments that could be interpreted as ignorant and offensive.