Joy Reviewz a Vidya Game -- Neverwinter

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 43

#1  Edited By Joygirl

So, my last video game review actually went pretty decently, and I also rather liked doing it, so let's do another one, shall we?

Today I want to review Neverwinter, a somewhat-newer (in the scheme of things, anyway) MMORPG set comfortably in the Forgotten Realms universe (for those of you unfamiliar with the various sectors of fantasy, Forgotten Realms/Faerun is the world that brought us Drizzt Do'Urden and Elminster).

Besides the pleasant, comfortably familiar setting that the game uses, which is nice, it's obviously very important that we look into the actual gameplay. Now, this is not my first race around the MMO track. I was addicted to World of Warcraft during my early adolescence, like most of us were, but even after that I kept seeking out something new and fresh. No MMO is without its flaws, but the biggest trait that the majority of them share is that they are absolutely no fun to play by yourself.

Facial Tattoos are the new Facial Tattoos.
Facial Tattoos are the new Facial Tattoos.

Well, I suppose it makes sense. The whole point of these games is to play them with friends, but considering that about 95% percent of all MMO content can be run solo, it's only obvious that some people (like me) will want to play these games by themselves. Yet, sadly, most MMO's are absolutely, horrifically, ungodly boring to play on your own, and get insufferable the instant the allure of the new game wears off.

Neverwinter, stupendously, does not share this trait.

Not that it doesn't have flaws, of course. Just a mere paragraph ago I stated that no MMO is without its flaws, and Neverwinter is not the exception to this rule. Let's start off, quickly, with its cons:

• No Housing: While not all MMO's include this, most of the newer ones do, and old ones are even starting to introduce them. It was something I was really warming up to, but not something Neverwinter considers worth including.

• Bizarre Interfacing: Due to the unique combat system (which I'll go into in detail, shortly), the mouse becomes the reticule and is integral to combat. This makes selecting menus and whatnot impossible, so most small functions have to be done by using the keyboard. The alt key can be pressed to paralyze your avatar and allow you to use the mouse, such as to chat, but this is tricky if you're in a stressful situation. Is it an improvement on games like DC Universe Online, which handled this issue with much less fluidity and ingenuity? Certainly. But it's still not ideal.

• No Weapon Styles: This is going to be a dealbreaker for a lot of people playing this game, and it's a little twitchy for me too. While I've seen some higher-level characters using variations of their class weapon, your weapon style is determined by your class. If you are a Rogue, you get two daggers. A Great Weapon Fighter, you get a two-handed sword. A Ranger, you get a bow. While you can upgrade the weapon itself, you can never get a different kind of weapon as far as I can tell.

Ouch! Those are some... unpleasant cons. But I'm going to be completely honest and say that if I made a grocery list of things I want in an MMO, Neverwinter has most of them, so let's move on to the game's pros.

Pictured: Stuff
Pictured: Stuff

Most important is the combat. As I stated above, the mouse is used as a reticule and both buttons are used in combat. Rather than having your avatar stand solitary and click various buttons to create combat effects, this game rewards mobility rather than punishing it. Combat is fluid and dynamic, utilizes a smaller number of buttons which are close to the standard movement keys, and is actually extremely goddamn fun.

Each class also has a unique transportation style attributed to the Shift key, all of which are pretty awesome (though I'm not positive what Ranger does). Fighters get to charge, Mages and Priests get to teleport, and Rogues get to do cool rolling maneuvers. These come into play a lot, as boss creatures will light up the floor with their big attacks, giving you a chance to actually dodge out of the way of them. This makes the combat extremely cinematic and amazingly engaging, keeping you on your toes especially when a lot of creatures with various area effects gang up on you, forcing you to dodge and block and attack, turn invisible, teleport away, etc. This makes Neverwinter fun to play on your own, because rather than every fight being so drudgingly long that you have time to refill your drink, you get very engaged with what's happening in the game.

Velesaaru, my tiefling rogue
Velesaaru, my tiefling rogue

Costumes look great in this, and avoid the “hilariously silly” kind of armor style of other games like WoW. Even at low levels you get to feel like a total badass as you strut around in your starter gear, chopping up the bad guys and looking great doing it from day one. Also, in a unique twist, all armor is skimpy – however, shirts and pants can be put on underneath it, giving you total control over how scantily-armored your avatar is. Staying with the aesthetic note, character customization is an intense process that leaves your character looking very unique, and even allows you to modify your character's body type. I was even (GASP) able to create a female character with small breasts. Now what other game can offer you that? (It really sucks that I'm serious about this.)

Because combat is awesome, PvP is also awesome, and Neverwinter is the only MMO in which I have willingly indulged in it without being forced to by some kind of quest, though I do wish it offered more stages and types of PvP battles (at just past level 30, I can still only do the Domination matches, maybe more will open up later). There are also a few other “contained” types of events that team your character up with a random group of other players, letting you go on cute little mini-raids.

Another huge pro for this game is that you have a special bag for crafting equipment. This bag has infinite space.

Let that sink in.

Every time in any MMO that you've ever picked up random cheap scraps of wool, or twigs, or dust, or whatever random crap that you might someday need but don't really want and have to carry around with you? Gone. Over. No more. You never have to worry about your crafting supplies until you need them, and even then you have them whenever you want them. I haven't indulged in crafting much because I'm so bored with the very concept of it, but from what I've seen of it, it's been designed to be as convenient and spend as little of your precious time as it possibly can. Twenty-five thumbs up.

Questing is standard fare, though the focus on solo-player instancing makes it extremely convenient and easy to do your solo quests without a billion other players stealing your harvest items or wholesale slaughtering the mobs you're supposed to be killing your own self. Neverwinter's only stand-out addition to standard questing is the sparkly trail (which can be turned off, for you masochists) that leads you to your quest objectives rather than allowing you to wander around for hours on end looking for stuff.

Honestly there's a lot to say about this game and a lot I could talk about, such as the enriched leveling system, your personal adventuring NPC companion, and the absolutely glorious user-made quests, but this is already getting pretty long and I don't want you guys to start getting bored. So I'm going to make one final point.

Neverwinter never puts the heat on you to pay money. It's free-to-play and so far I haven't chipped in a single cent. Of course there's a store, and lots of awesome stuff to buy – but most of it is frivolous fun stuff that, while it'd be cool to have, is in no way necessary to enjoy the game. At level 33 I have a trusty mount (a normal horse, but still), plenty of well-upgraded equipment that looks cool, all the potions I need, three tricked-out companions, and access to any quest I want. Unlike, say, The Old Republic, which makes it very clear early on that if you don't plan to pay money you can go straight to Hell, this game seemingly couldn't give a damn if you do or not.

You know what they say:
You know what they say: "The bigger they are, the harder they hit."

So, there you go – Neverwinter is a fast-moving, fluid, beautiful, atmospheric, and fun game that's designed with your convenience in mind and doesn't demand your hard-earned cash (even though I'm sure it wouldn't mind some of it). I've never had more fun playing solo in an MMO.

So, if you're ever feeling bored, or are disillusioned with the online RPG you're currently sinking hours into, consider giving it a shot.

-------------------------------

For more of my reviews, make sure to check out my brand-new Review Library!

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

As someone who only tried it out in beta it seems like a fair review.

Good one!

Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Straight-Fire

Nice review!

I will definitely play Neverwinter one day. ^_^

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Dragonborn_CT

Well, that was quite unexpected. Although I am not exactly an MMO type of guy, I am quite familiar with the Forgotten Realms setting due to the Baldur's Gate games and the Neverwinter Night RPGs. I did heard of this game before but I wasn't quite sure if it was related with them, but now I see how :P Although I am not sure if I will check them out in the future, this was quite an bloody awesome write up, my friend ;) Keep 'em coming.

PS: This game looks much more interesting than Elder Scrolls Online.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

I played Neverwinter for a bit (a few levels, like two dungeons) the other night and found it to be a lot like Guild Wars 2 in some aspects. Then again, as I said, I only played it for a short period of time.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee15da0e0aad
deactivated-5ee15da0e0aad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

@joygirl: Hehe, I'm a level 40(60 level cap) Hunter Ranger on Neverwinter... It gets really repetetive after a while. Didn't pay a single cent though, and still got some awesome gear.

Good review.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squares: Hmm, I haven't played Guild Wars, cannot validate or invalidate. :O

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee15da0e0aad
deactivated-5ee15da0e0aad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

@joygirl: Sorry :c

Maybe when I stop playing it for some time I'll be in the mood again ^_^

Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

Awesome review !!!

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Game seems interesting, might give it a try. Great review!

PS: Do you recommend Dc universe online? Game looks interesting. Don't know if I should try it though.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PS: Do you recommend Dc universe online?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

It's clumsy and awkward, challenging to customize, with absolutely no social value, boring quests, unpleasant character modeling, and almost no redeeming qualities. The transportation powers are the only thing that make DCUO playable and even they become commonplace after a few hours. So far (and having not played City of Heroes) there are no superhero-oriented MMORPG's that I'm able to recommend.

Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@knightsofdarkness2: Oh I almost forgot!

The maps are NIGHTMARES to navigate. I am dead serious. NIGHTMARES. Also the level cap is WAY too low, and due to the unpleasantly characteristic style of their PvP, it's not in any way hospitable to new players as there is nowhere for beginners to go.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl: I can vouch for this, what with being a new player and having no idea where to go.

If any higher-leveled or at least experience players are reading this, HELP ME PLEASE. I'm a wizard and need someone to level with!

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squares: I can helpz you Squares. :O Are you on right now?

Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl: Okay, looks like I'm not going to play Dc universe online. Lol.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl: Okay, looks like I'm not going to play Dc universe online. Lol.

That's definitely the best course of action. I wanted to like DCUO and I enjoyed it -- for about an hour -- but it's... yeah, it's not a good game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl: Nope, about to go out to dinner, but I should be on later tonight. I'll pm you : )

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Joygirl

@squares: Coolies, I'm gonna be going home in a few hours but we'll set something up!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers