Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Edited By Jgames

The Devil’s Candy

The Devil’s candy is a horror movie directed by Sean Byrne. It's about a family moving into a new house where a couple died. The father starts to get obsessed with his work, almost like he is possessed by the devil, while a psychopath killer is on the loose. The Dad must protect his family at all cost after the psycho set his eyes on his daughter.

This movie was disturbing and it's all thanks to Pruitt Taylor Vince as the psychopath. Whenever he was on screen, I didn’t know whether to be disturbed or to feel sorry for him. Luckily the score helps me be more disturbed. The movie does a great job at making this movie disturbing by making it about the daughter being targeted by this psycho. The feeling that your daughter or sister can get kidnapped by a random person is brought out by this movie. It gives a sense of vulnerability and does manage to feel somewhat realistic like this could happen. Seeing the family trying their best to protect her was great and heart pounding. Granted the police as always are somewhat incompetent due to cliche. I mean this is more of a nitpick, as is not horrible done, but when you really think about it, is a bit unrealistic.

The family was also great in this movie, and the father obsession with his art was legitimately creepy. The father trying to balance his obsession with art versus his family was interesting. That being said the supernatural element did felt unwarranted in the movie. I mean the ending just felt pointless in my opinion. I think a mental nutcase thinking he talking to Satan is all you need. As the movie said, the scariest thing is not the supernatural, but how disturbing people can be. I guess it still did a great job with that concept, but I cannot help that they could have changed something in the movie. While by the end of the movie I did got immerse and was wondering if the characters will get out alive, is a somewhat standard serial killer movie. I mean it is executed well with the editing, score and as I said the actors did great. That being said the movie was under 80 minutes and could have explored other aspect more, or taken some other stuff out and focus more on the psychopath. My only guess is that it was there to give it more of its own identity and make the Father more interesting.

This movie overall did a great job at being thrilling and heart pounding. The psychopath in this movie did an amazing job and made this movie what it is. That being said it is somewhat average plot-wise, and I did not like the supernatural aspect. That being said, the movie gets a B-

Also is available on Netflix.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb6c77c8d900
deactivated-5fb6c77c8d900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@morleericks: no, you recomended me Honeymoon which was a forgettable movie with a frustrating ending, thanks alot. Granted it did made me appreciate The Den.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jgames: I liked it.

Pretty sure I recommended Evidence and another also. Oh yea, The Den.

I certainly would have strongly recommended this film. Seen it multiple times.

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@morleericks: Well I did love Evidence and at the very least Honeymoon served its purpose on filling the review quota. Also, thank you for continuing to read my reviews and any recommendation is always welcome.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jgames:

Then I recommend:

Not all are Horror.

- Vincent and Roxxy (Netflix)

- The Office

- Autopsy of Jane Doe

- Middle Man (Netflix)

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

#6 BumpyBoo  Moderator

Intriguing. Might have to give this a look.