J. Cole VS. Kendrick Lamar

Edited 2 years, 8 months ago

Poll: J. Cole VS. Kendrick Lamar (20 votes)

Kendrick 70%
J. Cole 30%
No Caption Provided

VS.

No Caption Provided

Undoubtedly two of the industry's best artists of our generation. But who's better?

1. Flow

2. Ability to tell a story

3. Energy/Delivery

4. Vocals

5. Overall

For me it's a "why not both" type thing I mean Black Friday was lit....

No Caption Provided

Seriously though this is how it'd go fro me:

1. K. Dot

2. Dead tie IMO

3. K by the slightest of margins

4. I prefer Cole's more "realistic" voice over most. I put realistic in quotations cause well it's still beautiful.

5. If I had to choose K by like a 0.1 percentile

#1 Edited by DaDivineKing (5521 posts) - - Show Bio

Kendrick Lamar demolishes in every category except, maybe, story telling for me. Lyrically the two aren't even on the same plane, tbh.

Just throwing that out there.

#2 Posted by EcstaticGrace (7217 posts) - - Show Bio

Kendrick Lamar demolishes in every category except, maybe, story telling for me. Lyrically the two aren't even on the same plane, tbh.

Just throwing that out there.

I don't think K.Dot demolishes in 1 and 2. Hell I'd even put 3 close with J.Cole putting in that Fool me once line in No Role Models.

#3 Posted by DaDivineKing (5521 posts) - - Show Bio

@ecstaticgrace:

I don't see J.Cole beating Kendrick in the flow department --- tracks like Rigamortis and 1Train are clinically insane displays of the art of flowing that I haven't seen Cole ever muster. 2, yeah, I honestly can see J.Cole being placed over K.Dot because he makes you "feel" his stories more, even though Lamar's stories are more intricately written.

I guess differing opinions. xD

#4 Posted by EcstaticGrace (7217 posts) - - Show Bio

@ecstaticgrace:

I don't see J.Cole beating Kendrick in the flow department --- tracks like Rigamortis and 1Train are clinically insane displays of the art of flowing that I haven't seen Cole ever muster. 2, yeah, I honestly can see J.Cole being placed over K.Dot because he makes you "feel" his stories more, even though Lamar's stories are more intricately written.

Of course, just had to get my opinion out there cause I was like this

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
#5 Posted by Ready_4_Madness (17630 posts) - - Show Bio

Flow - Kendrick Lamar - Rigamortis, That Part, Cartoon & Cereal. Kendrick has so many flows it's insane.

Storytelling - Sing About Me, How Much A Dollar Cost are better than all Coles storytelling songs.

Delivery - I probably sound like Stan lool Kendrick again. - Control says it all.

Vocals - J. Cole

Overall - Kendrick

#6 Posted by Leo-343 (30909 posts) - - Show Bio

I swear this has been done.

#7 Posted by the_stegman (40368 posts) - - Show Bio

@leo-343: it has

#8 Posted by Batman3000 (5652 posts) - - Show Bio
#9 Posted by laflux (24735 posts) - - Show Bio

Kendrick has always struck me as more versatile. He can illicit a greater range or emotions, from thoughtfulness to sadness to humor to even anger. J Cole always seemed more restrictive. It doesn't help that girls who know very little about rap seem to flock to him like the clappers

#10 Posted by seastone98 (4809 posts) - - Show Bio

NAS

#11 Posted by Shepard-Croft (1940 posts) - - Show Bio

K-Dot is clearly better than J. Cole, imo.

#12 Edited by Bionar (975 posts) - - Show Bio

Was a huge cole Fan in university. I still jam Forest hills drive, Revenge of the dreamers and Born sinner.

I started liking Kendrick right before graduation. even tho' i had known him a while. I'm black and i dont live in America but i can relate to both of them.

Although, it wasnt until To pimp a butterfly, that i started seeing myself in Kendrick's lyrics.

I mean i liked the tracks on Section 80 and Good kid maad city but... It was more about liking the art of creating that kind of unique Rap music. I later understood the message and realized how Great Kendrick is.

Anyway, For me

1. Flow- Kendrick, i listened to black friday and Cole actually kept up with kendrick quite nicely. But Kendrick. All day.

2. Ability to tell a story- Jcole for me. I listened to tracks like Lost ones, purple rain, Girl of my Dreams, let Nas down, and co. He painted a vivid picture. Kendrick has Stories about Sherane, Sing about Me , How much a dollar cost, and many classics But i gotta give it to Cole.

3. Delivery- this depends on what kind of person you are. Some pple dont like the fast delivery that eminem and kendrick bring because if you dont have a good ear it could seem off beat.. Personally i'll say its a TIE. kendrick's delivery are like rap orgasms.. It gets better with every verse. Cole's delivery is more rugged and cool. And Sometimes its just so good. Like the TKO remix feature with Justin timberlake.

I think Drake has better delivery because i dont think the pair can murder every beat especially the stupid ones.

4. Vocals - Cole for me. I even like his terrible singing voice.

5. OVerall- Kendrick without a doubt. Cole is always talking about how his content is more important. But Kendrick is more coherent.. He has a better message for me honestly.. J cole was always talking bout how he broke.. And now he's talking about his little found success. kendrick is talking about black mental emancipation.. And keeping it Real, he also talks about his flaws and self-conflictions. And i think especially in this generation we need a lot of that. Its just deep..

Avatar image for indomitableregal
#13 Posted by IndomitableRegal (16999 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll keep it short:

1. Flow - Kendrick; I really like Cole, but it's not close
  2. Ability to tell a story - Too much time to get a definitive answer in my head, so tie
  3. Energy/Delivery - K. Dot
  4. Vocals - J. Cole
  5. Overall - Kendrick

Don't forget his verse on Holy Key

#14 Posted by Jediharambe (57 posts) - - Show Bio

Kendrick.

#15 Posted by thuglyfe (4 posts) - - Show Bio

i refuse to choose.

#16 Edited by Keenko (5203 posts) - - Show Bio

Young Thug

#17 Posted by PeterParkerJr (6767 posts) - - Show Bio

I prefer J. Cole myself.

#18 Posted by batmannflash (6299 posts) - - Show Bio

Kendrick in potentially all categories