Posted by modernww2fare (7007 posts) 2 years, 10 months ago

Poll: Is white privilege real? (529 votes)

Yes 56%
No 43%

Is white privilege real in certain countries?

#152 Posted by Cable_Extreme (16783 posts) - - Show Bio

It is, but it isn't what a lot of people think. White privilege is something that is applied to the general race, it doesn't account for individuals. As a race white people are pretty successful, generally run the corporations, and are heavily over represented in the top 1%. That doesn't mean every white person you see is privileged, more aren't.

Let's talk about Asian privilege, they are more privileged in America than whites are now.

#154 Posted by Noone301994 (22169 posts) - - Show Bio

@static_shock: If I was trying to debate him or debunk what he was saying, then you'd have the right to accuse me of not listening or missing the point. I just wanted to make sure that he was aware of the fact that, when it comes to the raw amount of people, there are more white people affected by poverty than black people. I glossed over the proportionate part of his comment because I didn't disagree with it or have anything to say about it.

#155 Posted by Noone301994 (22169 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83: I did read your post, but nowhere in it did you say, "Listen, I know that more white people are poor than black people, but..." and then start talking about proportions. You just essentially said, 'whites are poor, blacks are poor, but blacks are more proportionately poor'. I just wanted to make sure you were aware, which you were. Sorry for the confusion.

#156 Posted by Saint_Sophie (7263 posts) - - Show Bio

First off, I assume you're talking European descent as according to US census, white = Original Europeans, North Africans and Middle East. But I don't honestly think North Africans and Middle Easterns as a whole get treated in the same light that say a person of English or German descent would.

Honestly though, don't Asians get special privilege in an Asian dominated country? Or blacks, etc. In the end though, Jews run everything soooooooooo.... ;).

xoxo, -Saint Sophie

#157 Posted by cameron83 (8548 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83: I did read your post, but nowhere in it did you say, "Listen, I know that more white people are poor than black people, but..." and then start talking about proportions. You just essentially said, 'whites are poor, blacks are poor, but blacks are more proportionately poor'. I just wanted to make sure you were aware, which you were. Sorry for the confusion.

Post 118, second paragraph

It's fine, dude. I know you meant no harm or anything of the such in pointing out a fact.

@cgoodness I still want to hear more of your thoughts, if you have the time.

#158 Posted by Noone301994 (22169 posts) - - Show Bio
#159 Posted by TheSaiyanMan (1745 posts) - - Show Bio

Nobody can do anything about where they are from or how and where they are born.

back in the day non whites were treated to be inferior than whites but that may not be the case now.

#160 Posted by cameron83 (8548 posts) - - Show Bio

@noone301994: Hey, no worries. I just enjoy speaking with you. Again, I know that you meant no harm.

#161 Edited by Cream_God (15519 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83: i need to buy some new toilet paper, this one im using breaks too easy.

#162 Edited by Lunacyde (28014 posts) - - Show Bio

@spitfirepanda:

The theory itself isn't the problem, your video itself acknowledges this. The theory is factually and logically sound. The problem is people misusing it. Intersectionality is a tool with which to better understand the complex world we live in. Like any tool; a hammer, a computer, a gun, etc, it can be misused. That does not mean that the theory itself is wrong, or the problem. Adopting the logic of gun rights supporters (of which I am a member), you don't blame a pencil for incorrect spelling, or a knife for a stabbing. These are merely tools, without sentience or the ability to effect outcomes unless wielded by an individual.

The problem therefore is the idiots who don't fully understand the term, or seek to use it in a misguided and deceptive manner. I hate Tumblr feminism as much as the next guy, but the problem is that those are corruptions of actual concepts and understandings that are important to recognize. Instead of seeking the truth it devolves into an us vs. them dichotomy. I don't believe in safe spaces, or trigger warnings, or microaggressions, they are misguided attempts to address the very real fact that you are born with certain advantages as a white, male, American. You can acknowledge your privilege/advantages without feeling guilty or having to "atone" for the fact you have them. I am fully against telling people to "check their privilege" because that is just another way to silence ideas without having to debate them, and in the end it makes us all weaker. Our ideas grow stronger through being challenged. If we shut off all challenges to our point of view because we don't agree with them we don't allow our own ideas to evolve and become stronger. That said, I can denounce "checking privilege" while still recognizing that privilege exists and effects people's lives.

Privilege is undeniable on a macro-level. This is the level upon which the theory is meant to be understood. Privilege was never meant to be understood or applied at an individual level. Black Americans as a social group DO face challenges that white Americans as a social group do not face. The attribute of whiteness DOES effect outcomes, and there is a myriad of evidence that spells this out clearly. Over 200 years of American history has created a very complex and multi-faceted environment where racial minorities do not begin on an even playing field. Various studies have documented that minority groups by and large are exposed to greater environmental hazards, more difficulty obtaining healthful foods, greater difficulty voting, receive poorer educations on average, face greater difficulty starting businesses, and have greater difficulty experiencing upward mobility. Black Americans still have a more difficult time obtaining work, even when they are equally qualified, and they are paid less for the work they do.

You cannot just discount the past as not mattering anymore. Slavery, Jim Crow, Segregation, discriminatory hiring and financial policies, mass incarceration; these factors create problems for generations to come. You can't just take a slave who was never educated, who was essentially conditioned and brainwashed from birth into being a subservient laborer, who was whipped and beaten for learning to read or write, and expect to say "you're not a slave anymore, now go make something of yourself." This creates problems that are passed down for generations. They had no money, no marketable skills, no education, so they were at a disadvantage. They dealt with discrimination and violence; in the workplace, in public, in buying land, getting loans, and running businesses. This all made it more difficult for them to provide for their children, give them the food they needed to develop, give them the education they needed to succeed, put them in an environment where they could be successful. And so this inheritance goes on for generations. Lack of wealth,education, opportunity, standing, privilege, etc is passed down from generation to generation. It is a self-perpetuating process. Today minority Americans (namely Native American, Black, and Hispanic) still face problems of poorer education, more poverty, poorer health, etc because these things are intertwined.

Today, even in minority households where they have the same income as whites, minorities have far less accumulated wealth because of past discrimination. For example the FHA made home ownership affordable for millions of white Americans in the 1940s-50s through loan programs that have been proven to have been discriminatory against blacks. Since home ownership (one of the most valuable investments one could make at the time) was denied systematically to blacks as compared to whites, this created a massive inequality in the ability to produce and conserve wealth. These FHA loans have been shown to have directly led to the rise of the middle class in the 1950s, denying Black Americans by and large from moving into the middle class at that time. Instead blacks, unable to obtain such loans, were forced to rent living quarters in urban areas they could afford, often barring them from moving out of urban areas and into the suburbs like middle class whites. This has resulted in a myriad of factors that are hurdles for black Americans such as living in poor neighborhoods with poor education systems, high levels of crime, higher exposure to dangerous environmental hazards, and more difficulty obtaining proper nutrition.

Factually speaking white privilege exists. If you don't like that terminology fine, call it white advantage, or an uneven playing field. Call it whatever you want, but if you want to pretend it doesn't exist you're only deluding yourself. I have enjoyed this conversation, I hope you at least consider what i have said.

#163 Posted by Pipxeroth (9060 posts) - - Show Bio
Loading Video...

#164 Edited by Static Shock (52990 posts) - - Show Bio

@noone301994 said:

@static_shock: If I was trying to debate him or debunk what he was saying, then you'd have the right to accuse me of not listening or missing the point. I just wanted to make sure that he was aware of the fact that, when it comes to the raw amount of people, there are more white people affected by poverty than black people. I glossed over the proportionate part of his comment because I didn't disagree with it or have anything to say about it.

He's pretty aware. In fact, he already acknowledged it before you asked him about it....

And there is a racial element to that because there are a disproportionate amount of black people that are poor compared to white people (numerically, I think that there are more poor whites, but that's simply because of their larger presence in the American population).

EDIT: Seems he already beat me to it.

#165 Posted by Static Shock (52990 posts) - - Show Bio
#166 Edited by Lunacyde (28014 posts) - - Show Bio

Whites comprise almost 70% of the population of the U.S. compared to about 14% for blacks. Of course there are more whites in poverty. That doesn't disprove white privilege in the slightest.

#167 Posted by AssertingValor (8138 posts) - - Show Bio

White privledge is perfectly normal in predominately white countries just like japanese, chinese, Arab or Mexican... Would be more privledged in their home lands.

#168 Posted by Lunacyde (28014 posts) - - Show Bio

@AssertingValor: You realize that the United States is not "white people"'s homeland. American Indian peoples are one of the most oppressed groups in the United States.

#169 Posted by Gaslight_ (58 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe they should just work harder.

#170 Posted by Noone301994 (22169 posts) - - Show Bio

@static_shock: Yeah, I only read one of his comments. I didn't see that he addressed it in a comment before the one I read. That was honestly my bad.

#171 Posted by Static Shock (52990 posts) - - Show Bio

@static_shock: Yeah, I only read one of his comments. I didn't see that he addressed it in a comment before the one I read. That was honestly my bad.

I apologize for thinking that you missed what he was really saying, though.

#172 Posted by Noone301994 (22169 posts) - - Show Bio

@static_shock: Oh I definitely understood, but I just wanted to inform him is all (which was clearly unnecessary). Now re-reading what I said I can see how it probably came off as rude. It's hard to tell what tone someone might be using when reading it over the internet as opposed to in person lol.

#173 Posted by Static Shock (52990 posts) - - Show Bio

@static_shock: Oh I definitely understood, but I just wanted to inform him is all (which was clearly unnecessary). Now re-reading what I said I can see how it probably came off as rude. It's hard to tell what tone someone might be using when reading it over the internet as opposed to in person lol.

I agree.

#174 Posted by Gaslight_ (58 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok, we get it guys, you've kissed and made up.

#175 Posted by Noone301994 (22169 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok, we get it guys, you've kissed and made up.

No Caption Provided

#176 Posted by Gaslight_ (58 posts) - - Show Bio

LOL

#177 Posted by SC (17980 posts) - - Show Bio

Heres another way to think about this. Are the differences between third world nations and first world nations real? I mean third world nations have poor people right? So do first world nations duh… except its not that simple. Another way. CV is an internet website, you either need a computer or some sort of device to access it, usually a relatively expensive device… most of us posting? We are privileged in a certain specific way. I mean, unless you are some homeless guy who broke into an internet cafe and is using someone else's paid time… chances are if you can post at CV, you probably have shelter. Which is a right in many countries, but still, not everyone has it. CV is an international website, we are going to have "white" users, white American's black Americans, Mexicans, Canadians (who may also be black, white, tan, brown, albino, olive, Hulk) Australians, Chinese, Japanese, Polynesians, so on, so on. Oh, and yeah just because we all have access to a computer/and internet doesn't mean we don't have struggles and worries, like food shortages, bills, running water, or that some of us don't have to worry about that as much as others, but its more complicated than that… statistically some countries are more rich than others, population ratios play a part, just because we could potentially find a poor Australian or American on the website and two well off, rich individuals from… Malawi or DRC doesn't make it even stevens on large scales. Sometimes its about the statistics or patterns involved. Tomorrow I might get killed with a stone to my head, however by virtue of living today instead of 20 thousand years ago, its less likely. Hence in a way I am advantaged. What we know about mortality rates and violence, is that I would be more likely to be killed violently 20 thousand years ago than today. That doesn't mean violent death no longer exists, but if thats the conclusion that some people draw after reading my earlier comments then…

Its like some take issue with white being in the phrasing. I can sort of understand, if the assumption is that its the only kind of privilege that exists and its white, but I am not sure why people would assume that or think thats what others mean. It almost seems like some users point of contention is semantical. trying to consider, and make generalizations about every kind of potential privilege… is complicated/time consuming. Some have mentioned majority privilege, its a big variable and factor, but the privilege isn't always dictated by majority. Look at wealth for example, the privilege is with the minority. Some people mention other countries. Again, applicable to some, most I would imagine, however its also complicated because some countries structures and ideologies are different (countries that focus on the individuals freedoms and rights, countries that focus on individuals responsibilities and duties to family and state) as is the ratio of the ethnic/color populations and other factors like how many groups are accounted for. Some countries don't really do the black and white thing like America, or specifically some Americans do. Black is vague and ambiguous when you have these guys over here from Nigeria, these guys from Sudan, these guys from America, these guys from England, these guys from India, these guys from Samoa, these guys from Philippines, these guys from Australia. Some Indians and Aborigines are as dark as Americans with African ancestry. Some "white" people can have darker skin. The idea of black and white is diluted, some "white" people in some "white" countries, have to face certain issues and struggles other "white" people in the same setting don't. So yeah its kind of complicated. Even just focusing on one country can be complicated let alone hundreds.

Especially especially when you/we start attributing the motivations of political groups you disagree with. Like yeah the Holocaust did happen… but not the way some Buddhists like to claim… ah those Buddhists I know from an internet video some Irish guy made criticized them over, yeah, those Buddhists are always over exaggerating and playing the victim. Not like me or the political ideas and groups I am involved in. We keepin it real!

So naturally such threads focus on America a lot, a lot of American users, and they after all give us a lot of the comics. Makes America like my third or forth favorite country, ahead of even my own. However if we want to talk about freedom and opportunity? Statistically America isn't up there, contrary to some peoples believes, certain Youtube personalities. You want opportunity? Probably easier to find it in Denmark or Norway though there is an immigration variable to keep in mind.

I'll quote something from wikipedia because I am too lazy to do the research to find specifics myself, but if one wishes they can go to the page and check out the sources and references and links for more details and if they want to deconstruct or criticize them. I copy and paste to try and get people to think about some of these variables, not because I necessarily think this explains it all perfectly.

"Average income for both White and Black families has increased since the 1970s.[19] However, average income for White families in their 30s has increased from $50,000 to $60,000 from 1975 to 2005, compared to an increase from $32,000 to $35,000 for Black families of the same age over the same period.[19] So in addition to receiving a lower average income, its growth is also less for Black families (10% growth) than their White counterparts (19% growth).[19] One way this can be explained is that even though marriage rates have declined for both races, Blacks are 25% less likely to be in a married couple.[19] However, Blacks also have less economic mobility and are less likely to surpass their parents’ income or economic standing than Whites.[19] Two of three White children born into families in the middle quintile have achieved a higher family income than their parents.[19] Conversely, only one of three Black children born into families in the middle quintile has achieved a higher family income than their parents.[19] On average, Black children whose parents were in the bottom or second quintile do exceed their parents’ income, but those whose parents were in the middle or fourth quintile actually have a lower income than their parents.[19] This is a very large difference compared to Whites, who experience intergenerational income growth in every quintile except the highest.[19] This shows that in addition to lower wages with less growth over time, it is less likely for Black families to experience upward economic mobility than it is for Whites."

#178 Edited by cameron83 (8548 posts) - - Show Bio

@cgoodness: Sure, no rush.

@gaslight_ said:

Maybe they should just work harder.

Who should? And how is that related to the concept or the question? I don't think that "white privilege" claims otherwise. In fact, I think that that is actually an acknowledged part of it, that some people have to work harder than others. What did you think it meant?

For the record, I'm not really arguing in favor or against the concept (and it's fine if you disagree with it), but I think that I might as well make myself useful and clear the air wherever misconceptions arise.

Also, to everyone in general, the OP also asks about other countries. A lot of people here speak of and acknowledge a "majority privilege", which is an interesting idea that I should probably look into (when I get the time, of course).

#179 Posted by Cream_God (15519 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83: well my general thought is we need to stop grouping individuals by race, calling a race privileged i think is a regressive concept that only sets us back.

#180 Posted by nishi99 (1374 posts) - - Show Bio

In some ways, yes it is a thing, but Asian privilege is more of a thing & i don't see pc hipsters talking about that at all.

#181 Posted by AssertingValor (8138 posts) - - Show Bio

@lunacyde: yes I know I live here and am an avid historian, in the U.S. case it is predominately white now.

#182 Posted by Mfundroid (2916 posts) - - Show Bio

@saint_sophie: White privilege is just a simple concept where white people get treated better just off the basis of their skin. It happens in South Africa a lot, half of the time it's perpetrated by black people which is something that I find really sad.

#183 Posted by jagernutt (16045 posts) - - Show Bio

no

#184 Posted by Lunacyde (28014 posts) - - Show Bio
#185 Posted by Lunacyde (28014 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83: well my general thought is we need to stop grouping individuals by race, calling a race privileged i think is a regressive concept that only sets us back.

I love this idea. I wish it was possible, but people ARE treated differently by race, so pretending race doesn't exist just masks the problem. It is just papering over the cracks.

#186 Posted by Saint_Sophie (7263 posts) - - Show Bio

@saint_sophie: White privilege is just a simple concept where white people get treated better just off the basis of their skin. It happens in South Africa a lot, half of the time it's perpetrated by black people which is something that I find really sad.

Ah I see now. Thanks for the context.

xoxo, -Saint Sophie

#187 Edited by poeticwarrior (3526 posts) - - Show Bio

@nishi99 said:

In some ways, yes it is a thing, but Asian privilege is more of a thing & i don't see pc hipsters talking about that at all.

Tell me what privileges Asians have. How they're being viewed as foreigners? How movies industry refuse to hire them and change characters' race? How they're being stereotype? How they usually can't get to too high a position in career even with higher accomplishments than their peers? How they can't get into a good college because there are too many Asians already? How in the dating world, Asian males being viewed as the least desirable?

#188 Posted by Warlockmage (8764 posts) - - Show Bio

this is a complex question that i think has different answers depending on your life experiences. The problem is that each individuals answer will be clouded in politics, economic standing, and a vast majority of other determining factors.

I think every race gets certain "Privileges", if thats what you want to call them, and it can appear to favor one race in certain instances. The actual truth is each race is prejudiced by others in a variety of different ways and i don't see a solution to any of them in the near future.

So the answer to your question is yes White "Privilege" exists but it does not stand alone.

#190 Edited by poeticwarrior (3526 posts) - - Show Bio

@warlockmage said:

this is a complex question that i think has different answers depending on your life experiences. The problem is that each individuals answer will be clouded in politics, economic standing, and a vast majority of other determining factors.

I think every race gets certain "Privileges", if thats what you want to call them, and it can appear to favor one race in certain instances. The actual truth is each race is prejudiced by others in a variety of different ways and i don't see a solution to any of them in the near future.

So the answer to your question is yes White "Privilege" exists but it does not stand alone.

In a global world controlled by the media. White privileges may be more relevant than others, especially in the Western world. In countries like Japan, it's considered a good thing to be mixed with White.

#191 Posted by Warlockmage (8764 posts) - - Show Bio

@warlockmage said:

In a global world controlled by the media. White privileges may be more relevant than others, especially in the Western world. In countries like Japan, it's considered a good thing to be mixed with White.

see that's what i meant by the question having different answers. i forgot to add that geographic location also will have an impact on a persons answer

#192 Edited by Thewhiteronin (1556 posts) - - Show Bio

It's very real.

Read this article about this white "affluenza" teen.

Basically, this white teen killed four people while drunk driving. During Court proceedings, he blamed that his parents didn't raise him properly, so the judge let him go on probation.

But in a similar case, a teenager from Mexico committed the same crime in the U.S., but was sent to prison.

Avatar image for do_i_have_to_give_a_name_
#193 Edited by Do I have to give a name? (1045 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83: "well my general thought is we need to stop grouping individuals by race, calling a race privileged i think is a regressive concept that only sets us back."

@lunacyde

"I love this idea. I wish it was possible, but people ARE treated differently by race, so pretending race doesn't exist just masks the problem. It is just papering over the cracks."

Yes, but there's a big difference between pretending race doesn't exist and not considering it to be the dominant factor of someone's character. And I don't really find what @Cameron83 says is as difficult to do as some people make out. Again. It's simply the difference between describing someone or defining someone.

As for the thread. There's been some very interesting posts. I'd go more with the idea of majority privilege that people have been speaking and with the view expressed in @warlockmage's last post.

#194 Posted by Cream_God (15519 posts) - - Show Bio

@lunacyde: true, like i said minorities get favored over whites when it comes to job interviews and what not

Avatar image for deactivated-59dfd33ed3601
#195 Posted by deactivated-59dfd33ed3601 (5575 posts) - - Show Bio

Of course it does. People seem think racism and oppression stopped after the Civil Rights Movement. It still very well exist. It's sad but it is the truth. There have many real life examples of white privilege that I am sure you all have seen.

#196 Posted by cameron83 (8548 posts) - - Show Bio

@cgoodness: Well, I can understand that view. Whether or not it's true, the name itself is divisive enough and can make people feel uncomfortable. And that's not even counting the militant attitude that some people bring with it.

But at the same time, I don't know if it would be factually correct to say that damaging perceptions towards minorities is non-existent, which could affect their treatment.

Some people may even respond with "I treat a white person and a black person the same", which is what we all should naturally aspire to, but that doesn't really mean that everyone feels the same way, and some people may draw conclusions about a person based off of the stereotypes surrounding their race. I know that it has happened to me, from some white people and even from some minorities, if that means anything. And to be frank, it's not like this idea is new to anyone: people get judged based off of their appearances, and everyone does it. I just don't think that skin color should really be much of a factor in that, and based off of your response, you may even agree to that, as well.

By the way, you cite an example of a case where a white person is denied a job to a minority on the basis of race (or, affirmative action), which makes me believe that you acknowledge the fact that, sometimes, people are treated differently by race. There may even be more examples of this, but do you also believe that minorities are treated differently on the basis of race?

#197 Edited by dshipp17 (5380 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, and white privilege never really ended. The events of the civil rights era was just a gesture. As I've said in other places, soon after Title VII was passed, Republican whites rushed into the courts and immediately started to dismantle the Act; Republicans were than there to insure that Title VII could not be amended to catch the courts, except black leaders were simply content that Title VII was in place; but, that was only part of the battle; basically, as soon as African Americans started getting jobs, a period of time was allowed to allow discrimination to calibrate itself and become legalized; the big opportunity came in 2009, but, the generations of opportunity was wasted on the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act, which just fixed one court decision issued months earlier; 2009 and 2010 could have been used to make amendments to cure about 40 years of court decisions, restore rights for minority, restore worker's rights, provide rights to job applicants, and restore rights to federal employees, strengthen the Office of Special Counsel, and reduce the power of the Federal Circuit; instead, it was used to waste time on Congressional bickering among Democrats themselves, instead of focusing on the common enemy, the Republicans; the 2010 election than put the Republicans back in power and gerrymandering was set in place to seal their place in power. Now, we need another miracle reminiscent of 2008 and 2009, except that miracle was 50 years in the making. But, few people realizes this and, basically, threatening a civil is a waste of time waiting to happen that no African American or leaders fully understand yet; trying to stop the police from policing is a waste of time, and a goal achieved of a weaker police is an end goal waste of time, if it were achievable; your worker's rights and higher education rights is a goal worth fighting; but, somehow, African Americans have not followed up on this Epiphany of Martin Luther King Jr; it might be that they were just simply dazzled by the attention receive during the civil rights era, while not fully understanding what was being achieved.

#198 Posted by Cream_God (15519 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83: yes different races are treated differently due to affirmative and action but none (outside Native American) are more privildeged than any other. Parents choices are the main factor of a childs success. For example my aunt and her divorced husband (shes mexican hes white) live on minimum wage and are relatively broke, but make sure their kids goto charter schools, so one of my cousins is currently on the road to becoming part of a astronaunt industry while the other is thinking of fashion design. Its because of my aunt her exs choices their kids are succeeding with the help of charter schools and not because of their race since they are mixed. Sub in terrible parents like Michael Brown had and god knows what would happen to them.

#199 Posted by JamieWolfe7 (777 posts) - - Show Bio

The question was if White Privilege is real in certain countries. I would contend that it is, but that societies globally have come a long way. America is going backwards somewhat thanks to political shenanigans from Farrakhan and Sharpton among others but I feel like publicity is blowing a great deal out of proportion.

As a white person, I don't feel I owe anything. I'm poor, jobless, I make my way selling merchandise alongside the road and write when I'm between customers. I'm trying to build up my literary muscle to put out a novel and have an income worth speaking about.

Here's a history lesson for free for those of you who think there should be race reparations or that your skin color entitles you to something and dare call yourselves American. Most slaves were white, in point of fact the irish slave outnumbered the African American slave roughly 5 to one. With that said, the British slave was the most common. A further fact, there were plenty of African American slave owners as well. If you think being black means your ancestors were slaves here, you better do your research. In fact, the first American to own a slave was a black man. Many African americans owned others here historically, especially in Charleston, South Carolina. Oops, was I not supposed to point that out? There is an explanation for this.

The simple version is that slaves who earned their freedom (which was VERY common) often invested their earnings going forward to buy their relatives from other slave owners. In this way, they would free themselves within the system as it was in those days. An ugly system, to be sure but that's just the way it was back then. Neither myself nor anyone on this blog was alive back then to question it, suffer under it, or in any way be affected by it. And before people start crying Confederate Foul, please do me a favor and read the constitution of the Confederacy. It was being done away with well before the war. Further more, discussions like this do nothing to address the FAR WORSE treatment of women and minorities in the middle east today than non-whites anywhere in the first world. Why don't we put our energies to uplifting those situations instead of belittling ours when we're actually trying to do better?

#200 Posted by AssertingValor (8138 posts) - - Show Bio

@lunacyde: don't even know why I posted in a thread like this, I should know better