Posted by modernww2fare (7009 posts) 2 years, 9 months ago

Poll: Is white privilege real? (529 votes)

Yes 56%
No 43%

Is white privilege real in certain countries?

#101 Posted by Cream_God (15519 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83: i was mocking the regressive left who actually believes that, but even the non nut job definition is false, race is a non factor, there are tons of rappers and athletes who started out poor but through hard work made it out. Its about personal responibility, i cant say race doesn't play a factor in getting a job because it does, companies are forced to hire minorities based on skin rather than qualifications (im guilty of being chosen over someone else due to being mexican).

#102 Edited by comicace3 (12425 posts) - - Show Bio

@zetsumoto said:
@comicace3 said:

What people don't get about white privilege, even those who deny it, is you don't have to be racist to benefit from racism.

It's simple, people often confuse white privilege with white people being millionaires or the high middle class all because their ancestors were racist. Yes I know there are white people living in poverty, duh. Some people go as far as to argue " well it's not our fault we have *insert good thing here* becasue my grandparents were racists". And some even believe that white privilege is equated to white people being racist which is not the case. And some even think it is the exact opposite and that black people have some sort of privilege of pulling the race card every time they deem necessary I mean c'mon now.

Here is a little scenario for y'all. Imagine a white person walking in the deep south. You guys think that he will be looked at funny? Do you really believe that anyone will bat an eye is he walking through a neighborhood that predominantly white?

Now imagine a minority walking in the deep south. I'd be scared as hell walking through a neighborhood that is white cuz I know I'll be looked at every second to see if I'm doing something wrong.

Another scenario that works great with what I am talking about is walking in stores that have expensive clothes in them. I ain't gonna be followed or side-eyed if I was white.

You might deny it but it's true and you would have to be kind of dense to not realize it.

Alright for those with short attention spans the tldr version:

White privilege is real but many who argue against the idea either don't understand the concept or blow it out of proportion, when honestly all you have to do is look at the simple things in life that make it evident that a white person may have it better than a minority in plenty of cases, regardless of their political ideology, how they act, their economic status, etc.

lol no. I am Asian and have been through those rural areas. Did I get a lot of unwanted attention? Yes. Did I ever feel in danger? No.

Awesome.Can't say the same on my end.

Going through a ghetto black neighborhood while walking with a white friend on the other hand...

Ah the old switcheroo. Are you somehow are using these scenarios I posted to your advantage by posting a scenario of the opposite? I mean c'mon now. There are literally thousands of others scenarios that prove white privilege is kinda real. Ya might ignore it, or deny it but it is true.

Yea you would. They are going to be suspicious of anyone who dresses like they aren't usually able to afford those clothes.

In other words, people who don't look like they do. Still wrong anyway you look at it. Race is a very important factor in determining this as well tbh. I'm not sure what you are arguing tbh do just not like my examples?

@noone301994 said:

@comicace3: Your example about 'walking in the south' or in predominant white neighborhoods can literally be reversed for white people. What if a Caucasian walked through a predominantly African American neighborhood? You think he wouldn't get any weird looks?

Noone I love ya man, but I know where this is going, and I know how you act with every post so I will respectfully just leave it here.

As for both of you, you guys are misinterpreting what I am saying as a whole, and in fact are attacking my very specific examples rather than going at it a different way. I'm not sure if it is intentional, but this is a strawman I believe. In other words a logical fallacy.

#103 Edited by Static Shock (52990 posts) - - Show Bio

@fablecounty: I'm not sure what your pictures are supposed to prove.

@the_man_with_questions said:

@static_shock: Wasn't I clear? White douche bags such as Michael Jackson.

Michael Jackson wasn't White. He had vitiligo. Please, look it up if you don't know what it is.

@cameron83 said:

1) I don't even think that "white people are douche bags" is even really what white privilege is.

2) ........yeah, I think he was joking.

I hope so.

#104 Posted by warrior100 (2163 posts) - - Show Bio

I think white privilege does exist. but what it is there are more opportunities for the majority of people than minorities.

i wish i was rich, genius level intellect and could date beautiful women but that's not the way it is

its just the cards life deals you.

also there is black on black racism

which is just as bad as anything else.

#105 Posted by Tobi-wan (83 posts) - - Show Bio

@poeticwarrior: I think you have a legitimate point about ethnic roles going to white actors when it doesn't happen very often the other direction.

My one hope from the conversation is that people will recognize that it is ridiculous to argue for affirmative action and the need for a black tv network, colleges, beauty pageants, etc. and then to claim that black privilege does not exist. When you give what you believe is a valid argument for the existence of these things to continue for the betterment of black people, it proves that the privileges do indeed exist. You can't logically argue for the continuation of a privilege if it doesn't exist.

People claim that white people refuse to admit that white privilege is a thing. In my experience black people have just as much trouble recognizing black privilege. I'm not arguing for the continuation of white privilege and I'm not saying that white and black privilege cancel each other out. All race based privileges will need to addressed though for true equality to exist.

Stop trying to preach black privilege it doesn't exist. By claiming all races have privileges you're basically implying that we are all equal in some way. Furthermore that there is nothing wrong with white privilege because other races have privileges.

#106 Posted by just_sayin (3289 posts) - - Show Bio

@tobi-wan said:
@just_sayin said:

Are you really that unwilling to acknowledge that discrimination has occurred when a poor white kid from Appalachia with good grades doesn't get into a college that accepts a rich black kid with poorer grades. If someone is denied something only because of her color that's discrimination...period. The reality is the rich kid will be accepted into a college somewhere. His money will find a way, but the poorer white kid has fewer options.

If someone competes for a job and is the more qualified candidate but it is given to someone else because of affirmative action that is discrimination. Discriminating against anyone because of the color of their skin is racist. Arguing that it is OK to employee racist policies to correct past injustices doesn't change the fact that discrimination is discrimination. There are other ways to address past injustices.

If it is OK for one race or group to do something, logic dictates then it should be OK for another group to do the same thing if everyone has equal privileges. If someone started talking about having white pride or a white's only college they would be labeled as racist; it would be unacceptable. Arguing that black people should be given this privilege because of past discrimination only proves the point that black privilege is indeed real. Can't you see that you are justifying and rationalizing the privilege? There are certain activities that can be engaged in by one group that are deemed acceptable and are not granted to another - that's the very definition of privilege.

"power itself engenders the overindulgence of resistance from the dominant group(whites) to incorporate any changes that, in their minds, seen in opposition to their interests"

Whites feel like affirmative action threatens their position in society, it interferes with their interests and property rights in whiteness. So they will claim "reverse racism" but then leave gender out of the debate. Oh yeah because white women do not benefit the most from affirmative action out of everyone. Let's not forget that most blacks and Hispanics do not benefit from affirmative action because they are oppressed by other policies and forces like the "War on Drugs", Police brutality, etc.

There are no black only colleges, anyone can attend a black university. Anyone can win an award at the BET awards, etc. Please stop mentioning "the poor white" that is being used too much.

Anyways the master's tool would never dismantle the master's house.

You do realize that I have been arguing that white privilege is indeed real and should be addressed right? For the record I think male privilege is a thing also.

Where I disagree with you is in your assertion that whites are in the position of power when it comes to affirmative action. If you were talking about society overall, you'd have a point, but in regards to affirmative action whites are the ones being discriminated against. This is not a privilege extended to them.

You want me to stop mentioning the poor white kid that you claim is used to much, but the reality is that is the very person who is victimized by these laws. The rich white people will find a solution. I'm not sure that the poor Appalachian child has many options. It seems to me that the oppressor would want the victim not mentioned. Here's a thought, maybe in regard to this one area, the oppressor is not who you think.

I'm sorry that poor white kids in Appalachia who have been victims of affirmative action laws offend you, but you know what, they are real. You can't end discrimination by pretending those adversely affected by it don't exist. I can admit freely that white privilege is real and must change. Why can't you admit that black privilege exists also? Why do you continue to argue for the continuation of privileges that you claim don't exist?

Avatar image for mylittlefascist
#107 Edited by MyLittleFascist (31137 posts) - - Show Bio

@tobi-wan said:

The same thing. Children are taught how whites made America what it is. Nonwhites get a section in a chapter, I can't even say they receive a chapter of attention.

No Caption Provided

Of course ignore the whole post because you don't understand the first point. If colored people got together people would think they are up to something. Plus this can apply to any situation like in foreign countries, etc.

Um, no. Schools are taught the history of America, major figures are white because that's the ethnicity that happened to be most involved in the country's founding. What exactly are you expecting white people to do? Rewrite history? Why don't you go to Japan or China and bitch about how schools mainly teach Chinese and Japanese history?

Yet another illogical quote. American doesn't mean white, American means American. The only people who bother hyphenating are the ones who actually feel the need to specify where their ancestors are from. Someone could easily say "Irish-American" or "French-American" if they actually cared enough. The real irony is that white's are the ones who constantly lose the culture of their ancestors when they come to the US, not minorities. Even if the above were true, so what? Would you go to Japan and complain about "Japanese means Asian, everybody else has to hyphenate"?

Um, no. It's called "3 strikes your out". People post stupid stuff on the internet all the time. No one has the time to read everything they come across. If you are going post some huge block of text and expect people to read it all; then at least get a decent point within the first 3 claims listed.

No, most people would assume it's some kind of family gathering.

#108 Posted by poeticwarrior (3526 posts) - - Show Bio

@tobi-wan said:
@just_sayin said:

Are you really that unwilling to acknowledge that discrimination has occurred when a poor white kid from Appalachia with good grades doesn't get into a college that accepts a rich black kid with poorer grades. If someone is denied something only because of her color that's discrimination...period. The reality is the rich kid will be accepted into a college somewhere. His money will find a way, but the poorer white kid has fewer options.

If someone competes for a job and is the more qualified candidate but it is given to someone else because of affirmative action that is discrimination. Discriminating against anyone because of the color of their skin is racist. Arguing that it is OK to employee racist policies to correct past injustices doesn't change the fact that discrimination is discrimination. There are other ways to address past injustices.

If it is OK for one race or group to do something, logic dictates then it should be OK for another group to do the same thing if everyone has equal privileges. If someone started talking about having white pride or a white's only college they would be labeled as racist; it would be unacceptable. Arguing that black people should be given this privilege because of past discrimination only proves the point that black privilege is indeed real. Can't you see that you are justifying and rationalizing the privilege? There are certain activities that can be engaged in by one group that are deemed acceptable and are not granted to another - that's the very definition of privilege.

"power itself engenders the overindulgence of resistance from the dominant group(whites) to incorporate any changes that, in their minds, seen in opposition to their interests"

Whites feel like affirmative action threatens their position in society, it interferes with their interests and property rights in whiteness. So they will claim "reverse racism" but then leave gender out of the debate. Oh yeah because white women do not benefit the most from affirmative action out of everyone. Let's not forget that most blacks and Hispanics do not benefit from affirmative action because they are oppressed by other policies and forces like the "War on Drugs", Police brutality, etc.

There are no black only colleges, anyone can attend a black university. Anyone can win an award at the BET awards, etc. Please stop mentioning "the poor white" that is being used too much.

You do realize that I have been arguing that white privilege is indeed real and should be addressed right? For the record I think male privilege is a thing also.

Where I disagree with you is in your assertion that whites are in the position of power when it comes to affirmative action. If you were talking about society overall, you'd have a point, but in regards to affirmative action whites are the ones being discriminated against. This is not a privilege extended to them.

You want me to stop mentioning the poor white kid that you claim is used to much, but the reality is that is the very person who is victimized by these laws. The rich white people will find a solution. I'm not sure that the poor Appalachian child has many options. It seems to me that the oppressor would want the victim not mentioned. Here's a thought, maybe in regard to this one area, the oppressor is not who you think.

I'm sorry that poor white kids in Appalachia who have been victims of affirmative action laws offend you, but you know what, they are real. You can't end discrimination by pretending those adversely affected by it don't exist. I can admit freely that white privilege is real and must change. Why can't you admit that black privilege exists also? Why do you continue to argue for the continuation of privileges that you claim don't exist?

Are there Asian privileges? As far as I know, there is a quota and a lot of the Asians have been turned away from big schools, even with high grades and extra-curriculum because their quota is filled. Jobs often go to Whites when two are equal. In movies, their races get changed, and a lot of the roles they manage to get are usually weirdos or asexual comic relief. It's just seem like whenever race gets debated, it's usually only between Blacks and Whites.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a937e573d769
#109 Posted by deactivated-5a937e573d769 (7054 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83: i was mocking the regressive left who actually believes that, but even the non nut job definition is false, race is a non factor, there are tons of rappers and athletes who started out poor but through hard work made it out. Its about personal responibility, i cant say race doesn't play a factor in getting a job because it does, companies are forced to hire minorities based on skin rather than qualifications (im guilty of being chosen over someone else due to being mexican).

"Hard Work"...LOL.

#110 Posted by just_sayin (3289 posts) - - Show Bio

@tobi-wan said:
@just_sayin said:

@poeticwarrior: I think you have a legitimate point about ethnic roles going to white actors when it doesn't happen very often the other direction.

My one hope from the conversation is that people will recognize that it is ridiculous to argue for affirmative action and the need for a black tv network, colleges, beauty pageants, etc. and then to claim that black privilege does not exist. When you give what you believe is a valid argument for the existence of these things to continue for the betterment of black people, it proves that the privileges do indeed exist. You can't logically argue for the continuation of a privilege if it doesn't exist.

People claim that white people refuse to admit that white privilege is a thing. In my experience black people have just as much trouble recognizing black privilege. I'm not arguing for the continuation of white privilege and I'm not saying that white and black privilege cancel each other out. All race based privileges will need to addressed though for true equality to exist.

Stop trying to preach black privilege it doesn't exist. By claiming all races have privileges you're basically implying that we are all equal in some way. Furthermore that there is nothing wrong with white privilege because other races have privileges.

I have repeatedly gone out of my way to argue that black privilege does not justify white privilege. I believe white privilege is a bigger deal. You have missed my point. Every race and nationality should be treated with the same respect and consideration. Failure to recognize white privilege perpetuates it. The same goes for black privilege. You can't argue for the continuation of policies which discriminate against white people when applying for school grants and jobs and then deny that blacks have no privileges that white people don't have.

#111 Posted by HeroUp2112 (18050 posts) - - Show Bio

@poeticwarrior: I'll give you SOME on the actor thing. However, I'm kind of with Chris Rock on the affirmative action debate. If two people are competing for a job (black person/white person) then whoever has the best qualifications should get the job...period. However, if the both have the exact same qualifications (sigh, it was a LOT funnier however Chris Rock performed or said it) but there's juuuuuuuuust enough owed that the black man should get the job. I gennnerrraallly can see this attitude, although I agreed much more with it when I was laughing my ass off.

#112 Posted by cameron83 (8548 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83 said:

@zetsumoto: I'm not really sure what you're trying to say? Poor black people have seen white people and other races before.

That's not the point. The point is that blacks in ghetto neighborhoods can be quite racist. Same with Asians in bad Asian neighborhoods, and hispanics in bad Hispanic neighborhoods. Your example of racism in some backwoods deliverance style town is cherry picking at it's best.

Whites in poor neighborhoods can be racist, too. So can whites in well-off, suburban neighborhoods. So can asians in well-off suburban neighborhoods. etc.

And what example did I give when I asked you? All I wanted to know was why you made it seem as if a white person walking into a black ghetto would be treated worse than a black person walking into a poor white neighborhood. As if racism was more pervasive among black people than other racial groups (which, if anyone said that about white people, they'd get called a "racist white guilt liberal" or something like that, and understandably there would be outrage at that notion; yet, among these same people, it's fine to stereotype black people). And whether or not that was your point, it wouldn't have been the first time that I would have seen that from non-black people, which is why I was just curious and asked. Hopefully, you aren't implying that blacks, even poor blacks, are somehow worse than people of other races in a similar scenario.

#113 Posted by poeticwarrior (3526 posts) - - Show Bio

@cgoodness said:

"Hard Work"...LOL.

That's like saying poets are rappers.

Loading Video...

#114 Posted by cattlebattle (17513 posts) - - Show Bio

No. It's something delusional black people believe in.....you know, like Voodoo.

#115 Posted by poeticwarrior (3526 posts) - - Show Bio

No. It's something delusional black people believe in.....you know, like Voodoo.

People believe in a lot of crazy stuffs, like female orgasm.

#116 Edited by MyLittleFascist (31137 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83 said:
@zetsumoto said:
@cameron83 said:

@zetsumoto: I'm not really sure what you're trying to say? Poor black people have seen white people and other races before.

That's not the point. The point is that blacks in ghetto neighborhoods can be quite racist. Same with Asians in bad Asian neighborhoods, and hispanics in bad Hispanic neighborhoods. Your example of racism in some backwoods deliverance style town is cherry picking at it's best.

Whites in poor neighborhoods can be racist, too. So can whites in well-off, suburban neighborhoods. So can asians in well-off suburban neighborhoods. etc.

And what example did I give when I asked you? All I wanted to know was why you made it seem as if a white person walking into a black ghetto would be treated worse than a black person walking into a poor white neighborhood. As if racism was more pervasive among black people than other racial groups (which, if anyone said that about white people, they'd get called a "racist white guilt liberal" or something like that, and understandably there would be outrage at that notion; yet, among these same people, it's fine to stereotype black people). And whether or not that was your point, it wouldn't have been the first time that I would have seen that from non-black people, which is why I was just curious and asked. Hopefully, you aren't implying that blacks, even poor blacks, are somehow worse than people of other races in a similar scenario.

Not really. Yes a racist person can move into those areas, but "well off, suburban neighborhoods" don't typically have some kind of held together culture based community. People keep to themselves for the most part. You don't have race-based gangs plaguing 'well off, suburban' neighborhoods.

No, I am not. However, it's easy to avoid backwoods redneck towns. Bad inner-city neighborhoods are just something anyone in an urban area will end up having to deal with at some point.

#117 Posted by just_sayin (3289 posts) - - Show Bio

@just_sayin said:
@tobi-wan said:
@just_sayin said:

Are there Asian privileges? As far as I know, there is a quota and a lot of the Asians have been turned away from big schools, even with high grades and extra-curriculum because their quota is filled. Jobs often go to Whites when two are equal. In movies, their races get changed, and a lot of the roles they manage to get are usually weirdos or asexual comic relief. It's just seem like whenever race gets debated, it's usually only between Blacks and Whites.

Sorry if you feel like I've been excluding Asians. In my initial post I mentioned how I believe black privilege is a thing and that it is silly to argue for the continuation of special rights and privileges (affirmative action programs) afforded to non-whites to make up for past injustices and then to turn around and argue that black privilege doesn't exist. You can't logically argue for the continuation of a privilege while at the same time claiming the privilege doesn't exist. I'm not trying to exclude anyone from the discussion. My comments were focused on what originally said.

I do think Asians roles in movies and TV are often not the best ones. It is rare to see a sitcom with multiple Asian actors in it.

As far as racial quotas go, I oppose them. They treat individuals as if everyone in a particular race is the same and they make something that is literally only skin deep their number one priority. I am more than the color of my skin and I think you are too.

#118 Posted by cameron83 (8548 posts) - - Show Bio

@killerforhire: I don't know if an equally strong case can be made about rappers, but his point was that if a person works hard, then they can overcome their financial predicament. A lot of athletes come from poor neighborhoods and have to work hard to get to their current predicament. Hell, most of them (in the case of the NFL and NBA) don't even make it into those organizations (for obvious reasons. I mean, can you imagine if even half of the people that wanted to be in the NFL actually became leaguers?).

Ah, okay. I understand your point. I don't know, though. I think that, on some level, the idea (or one similar to it), should be considered.

I mean, it's obvious that those that are poorer have it harder than everyone else. And there is a racial element to that because there are a disproportionate amount of black people that are poor compared to white people (numerically, I think that there are more poor whites, but that's simply because of their larger presence in the American population).

I believe that anyone of any race can become successful in life if they try hard enough to (which is what you said, and is an idea that I hope that everyone also believes). However, I also believe that among those people, that some have it harder than others (because of being poorer) and that among those poorer people, that a disproportionately large proportion of them are black. Any thoughts?

But what you say is true. When you say that race plays a factor, you cite an example of affirmative action. Do you ever believe that it occurs the other way around or to some degree?

#119 Edited by MyLittleFascist (31137 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83 said:

I mean, it's obvious that those that are poorer have it harder than everyone else. And there is a racial element to that because there are a disproportionate amount of black people that are poor compared to white people (numerically, I think that there are more poor whites, but that's simply because of their larger presence in the American population).

I don't see why anyone should care. If you are born poor, you are in the same boat regardless of what race you are. It doesn't really matter what color the majority of poor people are, and it shouldn't matter; because humans are humans.

Avatar image for the_man_with_questions
#120 Posted by The_Man_With_Questions (2707 posts) - - Show Bio

@fablecounty: I'm not sure what your pictures are supposed to prove.

@the_man_with_questions said:

@static_shock: Wasn't I clear? White douche bags such as Michael Jackson.

Michael Jackson wasn't White. He had vitiligo. Please, look it up if you don't know what it is.

@cameron83 said:

1) I don't even think that "white people are douche bags" is even really what white privilege is.

2) ........yeah, I think he was joking.

I hope so.

Sometimes I forget that people can't tell when you're joking on the net. I thought I made it pretty clear, but I guess not.

#121 Posted by cameron83 (8548 posts) - - Show Bio

@zetsumoto: You make it seem as if poor, black ghettos are anything like Compton, with crips and bloods and gangs running around. If anything, in poor areas (regardless of race), there will be higher crime than normal (that much is obvious), but I don't think gangs are as pervasive as you are making them seem.

It's not exactly unheard of for suburban whites or asians to feel uncomfortable around blacks. I mean, it's not like racism is rampant in poor black neighborhoods, yet it's not an issue in suburban white or asian neighborhoods. I really can't wrap my head around that, man.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a937e573d769
#122 Edited by deactivated-5a937e573d769 (7054 posts) - - Show Bio

@zetsumoto said:

Not really. Yes a racist person can move into those areas, but "well off, suburban neighborhoods" don't typically have some kind of held together culture based community. People keep to themselves for the most part. You don't have race-based gangs plaguing 'well off, suburban' neighborhoods.

No, I am not. However, it's easy to avoid backwoods redneck towns. Bad inner-city neighborhoods are just something anyone in an urban area will end up having to deal with at some point.

I can think of one example: Copperas Cove TX, The suburbs were "at the time I lived there" full of Aryan Skinheads that would jump a black man at first sight if he was unfortunate enough to wander in there.

& the black ghetto was just across the street.

I'm sure there are many examples of similar neighborhoods across the US.

#123 Edited by MyLittleFascist (31137 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83 said:

@zetsumoto: You make it seem as if poor, black ghettos are anything like Compton, with crips and bloods and gangs running around. If anything, in poor areas (regardless of race), there will be higher crime than normal (that much is obvious), but I don't think gangs are as pervasive as you are making them seem.

It's not exactly unheard of for suburban whites or asians to feel uncomfortable around blacks. I mean, it's not like racism is rampant in poor black neighborhoods, yet it's not an issue in suburban white or asian neighborhoods. I really can't wrap my head around that, man.

Several of my cousins joined gangs, so maybe it's just the area where I grew up.

"In poor areas, there will be higher crime than normal" Never said otherwise. However, whenever you have a primarily single race ghetto obvious outsiders become more likely targets.

"It's not exactly unheard of for suburban whites or asians to feel uncomfortable around blacks."

I have heard rumors of it, never actually heard of a specific instance though. I am sure it happens, but the number of instances seem very exaggerated to me. I mean lets be honest, lets say it is true; how would we even know such a thing? Why would anyone openly say that they feel uncomfortable around blacks? That's social and potentially literal suicide.

#124 Posted by cameron83 (8548 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83 said:

I don't see why anyone should care. If you are born poor, you are in the same boat regardless of what race you are. It doesn't really matter what color the majority of poor people are, and it shouldn't matter; because humans are humans.

Poor white people are poor, yes. Poor black people are poor, yes. Both of them are poor. However, proportionally, there are not an equal amount of poor whites and blacks. As such, the issues of poverty and whatnot may disproportionately affect one race more than it may for another.

I am not looking at this on an individual level, I am looking at this on a broader scale and looking at the overall trend, and I think that's where you misunderstand me, man.

#125 Posted by MyLittleFascist (31137 posts) - - Show Bio

@zetsumoto said:

I can think of one example: Copperas Cove TX, The suburbs were "at the time I lived there" full of Aryan Skinheads that would jump a black man at first sight if he was unfortunate enough to wander in there.

& the black ghetto was just across the street.

I'm sure there are many examples of similar neighborhoods across the US.

What time was that? Also, not all 'suburbs' are "well off".

#126 Posted by PenguinDust (8528 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, but so is white guilt. Sadly, one does not cancel out the other creating a balanced society.

#127 Posted by comicace3 (12425 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

People believe in a lot of crazy stuffs, like female orgasm.

Ugh so fake.

#128 Edited by MyLittleFascist (31137 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83 said:

Poor white people are poor, yes. Poor black people are poor, yes. Both of them are poor. However, proportionally, there are not an equal amount of poor whites and blacks. As such, the issues of poverty and whatnot may disproportionately affect one race more than it may for another.

I am not looking at this on an individual level, I am looking at this on a broader scale and looking at the overall trend, and I think that's where you misunderstand me, man.

I am not misunderstanding you. The above is only an issue if you see races as separate entities. I don't. The "individual" level as you call it is really all that matters. The solution to the above issue can ONLY be achieved at an individual level, unless you wish to create a racial divide by adding advantages to artificially effect the proportions.

You see this as 'being born a minority means you have more chance of being born poor'. I see it as 'being born poor means you have more chance of being born a minority'. Whatever factor effects what you get born as, be it god or random chance, doesn't care about race. Race is a construct created at an individual level, and means nothing in the grand-scheme of things. Unless reincarnation exists and for whatever reason one can only be reincarnated as the same race; the disproportion means nothing.

#129 Posted by TheHeat (712 posts) - - Show Bio

White privilege is a fantasy... and I'm not even white. Does white privilege exist in the Middle East? Africa? Latin America? Asia? Nope!

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
#130 Posted by Petey_is_Spidey (11542 posts) - - Show Bio

On a grand scale? Yes.

On an individual one? No.

#131 Posted by SpitfirePanda (2573 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't fall for intersectional feminism. It's a load of crap.

No Caption Provided

#132 Posted by poeticwarrior (3526 posts) - - Show Bio

@theheat said:

White privilege is a fantasy... and I'm not even white. Does white privilege exist in the Middle East? Africa? Latin America? Asia? Nope!

Not sure what you're being white have anything to do with recognizing White privilege. Mentioning those places without White people is stupid. The OP mentioned it exist in certain places, not everywhere, especially not places where there are barely any white people. Although places like Japan, mixed blood with White is being treated as valuable, just so you know.

#133 Edited by cameron83 (8548 posts) - - Show Bio

@zetsumoto: Well, I hope that your cousins are safe.

Also, I don't know, that really never has been the case. It's not as if a white person strolled by a predominately black ghetto, that they would be attacked and whatnot because of some tribal instinct or dislike of white people or anything of the such.

If anything, I have rarely seen it happen (not that it never has, but I have never even seen such extensive documentation of this for it to even BE considered a phenomenon. If anything, a person would probably be more worried about the "poor" aspect of things, and shouldn't even consider the racial part of it). Not saying that there aren't poor blacks (or poor people of any color) that aren't racist, of course.

And yes, it is definitely not unheard of for white people or asian people (or a person of any color) in suburban areas to feel uncomfortable with the presence of, let's say, a black person. That doesn't mean that every time a black person walks into a white or asian suburbs, that they would have the cops called on them. It doesn't even mean that all people in suburbs are geriatric racists or anything of the sort. Something interesting that I've noted in my experience (in case you were wondering) is that, whether or not the families were poor/suburban, that they didn't really trust black people or like them compared to others. For example, I remember when my asian friend said that I couldn't come into his house because his mom thought that I would steal something (I don't even fit the stereotype of that type of person, in regards to how I talk/dress/carry myself). (and yeah, I asked him why, thinking that she just didn't trust anyone, but he said it was because I was black and she really didn't want me in her house. Heck, she was uncomfortable that I was even friends with her son because she thought that I would "corrupt" him or something). Unfortunately, some of my other asian friends had parents that felt similarly uneasy about me for the same reason.

I mean, it's not like you have to explicitly state that you have an issue with a black person. Following them around the store or feeling differently around them on the basis of race is enough. Some people that feel this way show it subtly and may even confide in people of the same race. Others don't really care about what others think of their opinion.

Also, lastly, on that disproportionate wealth thing, I am really certain that you and I are not on the same page, man. I am not arguing in favor of some policies that favor one race over another or anything of the such. I am just stating a documented phenomenon. Whether or not you don't want to consider race in that case doesn't really change the fact that these different trends across racial groups existed. That's pretty much the gist of what I was saying.

It sounds like you think that I am setting up some argument for affirmative action policies or that I'm even arguing in favor of some weird implication that I never once stated.

You see this as 'being born a minority means you have more chance of being born poor'. I see it as 'being born poor means you have more chance of being born a minority'. Whatever factor effects what you get born as, be it god or random chance, doesn't care about race. Race is a construct created at an individual level, and means nothing in the grand-scheme of things. Unless reincarnation exists and for whatever reason one can only be reincarnated as the same race; the disproportion means nothing.

......I don't really understand any of this in reference to my post. I mean, it's an interesting view, but not even close to what I was saying.

Here's what I'm saying: Poor people have it harder than other people. A disproportionate amount of african americans are poor compared to whites. Thus, a disproportionate amount of african americans have it harder than white people. That is it. That is literally all I'm saying. Nothing more and nothing less.

#134 Posted by SC (17980 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends on your definition and application.

A lot of peoples definition and application is too simple. Like people naturally have biases, and these biases can be positive, negative, neutral and the effects and consequences of these biases can be positive, negative or neutral depending on variables and context, so positive in one situation, but not another. Or potentially some combination usually, some positives with some negatives, people will have opinions and views as to such trade offs and what is more ideal. We have things like economic mobility, which isn't about skin color, but skin color is a variable and influencing factor. You start talking about how an individual can change their social/financial 'class' well statistically the class/station of their parents and parents before them can be a bigger contributing factor than how hard they try or how responsible they are. Comparatively we can see some countries are better than others as far as how much difference an individual can make, by their own choices, decisions, efforts and skills, via that societies way of providing opportunities, education and types of assistance. Racial/ethnic variable in some countries is not the only barrier, or the biggest variable, but it can be a significant one. Thinking its the only one, or dismissing it entirely, whilst easier to think about and communication isn't accurate or valid. Hell, me just pointing that out took a larger than most peoples posts paragraph.

A lot of peoples definition and application is too broad and intangible. White people never faced real struggle because they never had to live with the pain and struggle of having ancestors who experienced real oppression and struggle and pain, and if they did, it wasn't comparable, but if you did compare it, it would show its not even real, and this is why only real rap and poetry and art comes from the non white community, and then you have people like M&M who doesn't even write his own rap, or beats, but the white businessman, and white advertisers and white fans, have catapulted him into like stardom, even though white people can't rap. White people can only rape… and uh… something… like that. When people start talking like that and making claims like that, its easy to mock them, and laugh at how silly their claims are, and dismiss them, because the claims they make are just so general, and crazy and immeasurable or warped/distorted and rely on agendas, yet to dismiss all claims and points based on the weakest and easiest to mock/satire doesn't help either. You get into a philosophical state where you can argue nothing is really real. You try and say otherwise I'll just mock and distort your argument and attack straw man/weak arguments only. Checkmate atheists.

#135 Posted by Static Shock (52990 posts) - - Show Bio
#136 Edited by Static Shock (52990 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

Jane Elliot says hello. If you think Black people are delusional for believing in this, congratulations. You're playing yourself. LOL.

Loading Video...

#137 Posted by cameron83 (8548 posts) - - Show Bio

lol I shouldn't have laughed at that.

#138 Posted by silkyballfro94 (8671 posts) - - Show Bio

Popcorn.gif

#139 Posted by Pipxeroth (9054 posts) - - Show Bio

Only in the legal system.

#140 Posted by Static Shock (52990 posts) - - Show Bio

Only in the legal system.

You sure about that?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/02/jose-joe-job-discrimination_n_5753880.html

Avatar image for beaconofstrength
#141 Posted by BeaconofStrength (12487 posts) - - Show Bio
#142 Posted by Lunacyde (28010 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone who doesn't believe white privilege exists is either living with their head planted in the sand or doesn't actually understand what the term means.

#143 Posted by Lunacyde (28010 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't fall for intersectional feminism. It's a load of crap.

No Caption Provided

Do you even know what intersectional feminism is?

#144 Posted by SpitfirePanda (2573 posts) - - Show Bio

@lunacyde:Intersectionality is a concept often used in critical theories to describe the ways in which oppressive institutions (racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, ableism, xenophobia, classism, etc.) are interconnected and cannot be examined separately from one another.

I copy pasted that from a google search. It's problem, as I've observed from various articles, is that it tends to lump groups together based on oppressed vs. oppressors. The experiences of the "oppressors" are either ignored or downplayed in order to prove the point of intersectionality, which is that there is institutionalized oppression taking place, primarily in the West, and that people in the "oppressors" class need to accept their role in it and step back even if they've never done anything oppressive. Small slights, whether real or imagined, are microaggressions. These are used to further prove the institutionalized hatred of the majority against the minority.

As for the interconnected part, everything is interconnected when observing a person's life. It's all part of one person's history, and it should all be examined equally and without bias. Intersectionality allows people to judge themselves and others on just a few factors: race, gender, and sexuality. These are hardly the only factors in a person's life, yet these are treated as the most important because these are easy ways of dividing people up into subgroups. It ignores personal choice and action, which is by far the most important factor.

There is a majority privilege. It exists, but it's not nearly as prevalent as the far left wants you to believe. What's more, it exists everywhere, and the West is a lot nicer about it than other advanced countries (and non-advanced countries). In Japan, for example, you aren't Japanese if your parents aren't Japanese. It doesn't matter whether or not you were born in Japan. You're judged by your bloodlines. The Japanese will stare at you if you look different, they'll ask you uncomfortable questions, and they still have public places that are restricted to non-Japanese, especially those from the West because they stick out more.

http://zoomingjapan.com/life-in-japan/foreigners-born-in-japan/

I went to school in a different town than I lived in because my mother taught there. I was singled out for this reason. Also because I was nerdy and awkward. There were plenty of hispanic kids who, according to intersectionality, should have logically been first in line to be picked on. Most, if not all of them were more well liked and more popular than me. I was outcast from Elementary School on due, in large part according to my mother, to a fierce rivalry between the towns. This made me an "other" and I had trouble making friends and keeping them in both places. I had friends but they were terrible and would often leave me when given the chance to sit with the cool kids. Then they would be rejected for whatever reason and they'd come back to me, and I'd take them because they were all I had. It's something I've had to deal with, but it's made me who I am and I rather like who I am. Race, gender and sexuality are just a few factors for why someone may be mistreated. There are many, many more.

Also, obligatory sanity video:

Loading Video...

#145 Posted by Noone301994 (22169 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicace3: I'm just saying, that specific example can be reversed. In cases like that, it's all about your setting, not skin color. I'm not saying you are wrong or right, I'm just talking about that particular example you used.

#146 Posted by Noone301994 (22169 posts) - - Show Bio

@Penguin-Dust: White guilt is a load of crap. My skin color is white, but my ancestors weren't even involved in slavery or racism in America. Should I still feel 'white guilt'? Should I still apologize on behalf of 'my race'?

#147 Posted by Noone301994 (22169 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83: You know that there are more poor white people in America than black people, right?

#148 Edited by cameron83 (8548 posts) - - Show Bio

@noone301994 said:

@cameron83: You know that there are more poor white people in America than black people, right?

I know, I said that already.

Serious question: are people actually taking the time to read my posts or...?

#149 Edited by Static Shock (52990 posts) - - Show Bio

@noone301994 said:

You're missing the point, because you skipped over the part where he said that poverty disproportionately affects one race more than it does another. Blacks are affected by poverty more than Whites are.

You know how it is. Smh.

@lunacyde said:

Anyone who doesn't believe white privilege exists is either living with their head planted in the sand or doesn't actually understand what the term means.

Agreed.

#150 Posted by Lejon (2946 posts) - - Show Bio

On a grand scale? Yes.

On an individual one? No