Posted by modernww2fare (6914 posts) 2 years, 8 months ago

Poll: Is white privilege real? (529 votes)

Yes 56%
No 43%

Is white privilege real in certain countries?

#1151 Posted by Azureus (2256 posts) - - Show Bio

No, unless you look at it on the individual level and it is still pretty rare. On an institutional/general level it's not. In fact, I would say it favors minorities. Atleast in Canada however, but I don't assume it will be much different in the US.

#1152 Posted by modernww2fare (6914 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump

#1153 Edited by SpareHeadOne (5474 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes.

I am caucasian and I get all the letters to type my posts with, while @KingSaturn: who is some sort of non Caucasian only gets 20 of the 26 letters with which to type his posts. @Life_Without_Progress: only gets 13 letters of the alphabet for his posting because he is not Caucasian.

It's amazing to think that Malcom X only had an X to work with.

#1154 Edited by solar_nerd (1905 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, sort of. But it's simply a remnant of old times.

Avatar image for deactivated-5beeed406e9c9
#1155 Posted by deactivated-5beeed406e9c9 (1473 posts) - - Show Bio

no

Avatar image for devils_advocate
#1156 Posted by Devils_Advocate (181 posts) - - Show Bio

It is very rare.

#1157 Posted by Kingyang (837 posts) - - Show Bio

Could Donald Trump's be any other race and get elected. No.

#1158 Posted by Alavanka (1976 posts) - - Show Bio

Who cares? World ain't fair anyways.

#1159 Edited by Stahlflamme (5567 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, minority people get stopped all the time openly carrying weapons in states with open carry, but the white people bring their assault weapons to their celebrations of traitors to the US even in states without it and its totally cool.

#1160 Posted by ourmanuel (8342 posts) - - Show Bio

@azureus said:

No, unless you look at it on the individual level and it is still pretty rare. On an institutional/general level it's not. In fact, I would say it favors minorities. Atleast in Canada however, but I don't assume it will be much different in the US.

This.

People sometimes forget how things like affirmative action helps a lot of minorities in american college admissions. In Canada being part native especially helps when it comes down to things like benefits and some scholarships. Even jobs sometimes hire other races to improve diversity.

So whatever white privileged there is, it’s probably offset by minority privilege in other areas of life.

#1161 Posted by laflux (24720 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes but it exists among a network of Classism, ablelism, sexism. We need to abolish all of them.

But yes it definitely exists. If all things being equal if one person is black and another person is white the latter is going to have it easier.

#1162 Posted by just_sayin (3099 posts) - - Show Bio

Unfortunately, those who cry "white privilege" are more often than not engaging in a form of racism towards white people. To say that something is a "white privilege" implies a judgment against a person based on his race, rather than as an individual. It naively or intentionally chooses to think that all people of a certain race share common experiences and lifestyles. It assumes someone living in a high rise apartment in Manhattan has more in common with someone living in a trailer park in Appalachia just because both are white, than two people of different ethnic backgrounds living in an expensive gated community have toward one another. Contrary to the racist concept implicit within the idea of "white privilege" all white people are not alike, and to assert so is racist.

Often those saying something is a "white privilege" are seeking for others to view some other group as victims of the "white" people. This view portrays "white" people as the oppressors and therefore attempts to legitimize discriminating against them. Sometimes, those who cry "white privilege" will engage in faulty logic such as it is OK to blame a white person for something that another white person in times past has done. This is racism because it judges a person based on his or her skin color. However, no one is responsible for someone else's actions just because they share a common hereditary link.

#1163 Posted by ParagonNate (4594 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, minority people get stopped all the time openly carrying weapons in states with open carry, but the white people bring their assault weapons to their celebrations of traitors to the US even in states without it and its totally cool.

No comment on the threads core topic but this isn't correct. People of all races and backgrounds with open carry licenses get stopped on a regular basis by nervous or power tripping law enforcement officers. It's actually a fairly common problem for citizens that practice their second amendment rights.

#1164 Posted by Stan Rodriguez (525 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, I don't see it as a bad thing though. Like any group would act to make sure those in their group are better off than others.

#1165 Edited by AlexTheBoss (15814 posts) - - Show Bio

It depends on the area, but you could say black privilege exists as well, as if a white lived in a primarily black neighbor hood they would probably be treated differently.

Some people have "privilege" under certain conditions, but as long as you are in a well educated mid to upper class area, I really don't think race makes much of a difference anymore.

For example I doubt a wealthy educated hard working black man would really be treated different than a wealthy educated hard working white man. However there would be a difference between how someone treats a poor ghetto black man, but they same could be said about a trailer trash white guy.

And a lot of it has to do with culture, as if a group of black guys came into a store with their pants sagging and grills in their mouth, of course people will get nervous, but lets not act like that's racist, as if a group of bald white guys with swastikas came in people would be just as afraid. If a group of well dressed black men came in, nobody would even notice tbh.

#1166 Posted by Trixie (936 posts) - - Show Bio

No it's not, and I'm shocked by the amount of NPC's on here, pretty disgusting.

#1167 Posted by WorldofRuin6 (1665 posts) - - Show Bio

I dont think white privilege is definite, but yes it is real here in the US. I think this is due to the developement of ghettos in big cities in the past, and that the standard of living for African Americans was heavily oppressed by racism before the civil rights movement. People tend to forget that equal rights hasn't been a reality for long here in the US tbh.

Avatar image for staticspeedster
#1168 Posted by StaticSpeedster (2319 posts) - - Show Bio

@sophia89 said:

It exists but it's not as good as Asian privileges. Asians need to check their privileges.

I say they're equal idk kek

Avatar image for deactivated-5c0b19c56d708
#1169 Posted by deactivated-5c0b19c56d708 (624 posts) - - Show Bio

no...

#1170 Edited by ourmanuel (8342 posts) - - Show Bio

Let’s all be honest here. It exists.

Same way black privilege and asian privilege also exist in some areas of life.

#1171 Posted by FaradaySloth (6583 posts) - - Show Bio

Y'all white folk are the demons. Give me welfare right now so i can continue to complain on twitter.

#1172 Edited by WhyZoSerious (1588 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm speaking from my experience in Europe - there are some privileges at times, that's true, but most of those loud cases are just used to justify the personal incompetence and personal failure, to hide behind that cliche.

the People of America seem to be way more stupid, oversensitive and probably, but I haven't spend more than 3 months in a row there,so I'm talking with probabilities, and probably less tolerant and more racist due to the already spoken stupidity.

the smart people don't even bother about that topic. Just look at the damn interest in it - 24 and count continues pages... I shouldn't even have opened it.

the cultural developed societies and people don't give a damn about it. they just don't. American society is clearly not one.

#1173 Posted by Megafanflash (690 posts) - - Show Bio

@trixie said:

No it's not, and I'm shocked by the amount of NPC's on here, pretty disgusting.

Yeah, disgusting people who don't agree with us, smh.

#1174 Posted by removekebab (3770 posts) - - Show Bio

Nah

Avatar image for indomitableregal
#1175 Edited by IndomitableRegal (15133 posts) - - Show Bio

Did I answer this thread before? I mean, I voted before, but I don't know if I left a response... Anyway, absolutely.

#1176 Posted by BatmanPlusJay (3434 posts) - - Show Bio

Of course it is.

#1177 Edited by Matthew660 (1438 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, about 50 years ago

Avatar image for benjamin_poindexter
#1178 Posted by Benjamin_Poindexter (864 posts) - - Show Bio

If you say no, you're definitely white & live in an all white neighborhood. Either that, or you're ridiculously unobservant.

#1179 Posted by Lord_Titan_ (2318 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, being born white automatically makes you a xenophobic, homophobic rich self entitled pompous who is given everything without working for it

#1180 Posted by Hypnos0929 (6275 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, being born white automatically makes you a xenophobic, homophobic rich self entitled pompous who is given everything without working for it

I think you're seeing white privilege to harshly. It doesn't mean you are some xenophobic or homophobic or racist person that will succeed in life no matter what you do. It doesn't mean you'll never go to jail or never have to struggle or even you'll never need help. It just means that white people have certain advantages to a degree.

For example white people can be the "good guy with a gun" who saves lives and stands up for gun rights but black people can not. Take for example Emantic “EJ” Fitzgerald Bradford, Jr. and Jemel Roberson

These two men were killed despite being the hero of the day.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/newsone.com/3838270/good-guy-with-gun-emantic-ej-bradford-jr-jemel-roberson/amp/

To be able to hold and have a gun without being looked at as a criminal is a privilege that black people probably will never experience in most states, open carry or not.

#1181 Posted by Lord_Titan_ (2318 posts) - - Show Bio

@hypnos0929: Hey you realise that was a troll post right?

#1182 Posted by Hypnos0929 (6275 posts) - - Show Bio
#1183 Posted by Bastetz (120 posts) - - Show Bio

@alavanka said:

Who cares? World ain't fair anyways.

#1184 Posted by ourmanuel (8342 posts) - - Show Bio
#1185 Posted by Rustlingjimmy (1000 posts) - - Show Bio

yes but people have so many individual problems they have to worry about that being white doesn't solve.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c19671744860
#1186 Posted by deactivated-5c19671744860 (61 posts) - - Show Bio

It absolutely is.

Avatar image for firestarlord73194
#1187 Edited by FireStarLord73194 (4282 posts) - - Show Bio

I’m white and poor so I’m not so sure. Opportunities are based more so off family dynamic (how you were raised) and how hard you work for something, not what color you are.

But the biggest fallacy with this is the idea that financially successful=happy life.

#1188 Posted by removekebab (3770 posts) - - Show Bio

The only real privilege is the privelege of the state, wich should be smashed with a sledgehammer.

#1189 Posted by Kirkseven (2123 posts) - - Show Bio

Well each race comes with a set of privileges, so yes I guess?

However, when white privilege is brought up most situations, its by some minority who made shit decisions in life and is trying to blame their race for the fact they got nowhere in life.