Posted by modernww2fare (6884 posts) 2 years, 8 months ago

Poll: Is white privilege real? (529 votes)

Yes 56%
No 43%

Is white privilege real in certain countries?

#1 Posted by ryubh (519 posts) - - Show Bio

No

#2 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3976 posts) - - Show Bio

Absolutely. Idk about outside the US, but definitely here.

#3 Posted by Cream_God (15519 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, every white person born gets 1 million dollars and a scholarship to a prestigious university

#4 Edited by cameron83 (8548 posts) - - Show Bio

@cgoodness said:

Yes, every white person born gets 1 million dollars and a scholarship to a prestigious university

There is nothing wrong with disagreeing with the concept (at least to me), but that's not...really what it means. In essence, it just implies that there is a systematic favor towards white people/culture in America. It doesn't really mean, "have your life handed to you on a platter." Whether or not if it's true or if it's just nonsense is moot, but I just wanted to offer clarification.

What should be noted is that the OP says "in certain countries", which means that it isn't necessarily limited to the US, where most people would say "no."

I'm not really sure about other countries. I know that in asian countries that darker skin is seen as ugly and whiter skin is seen as beautiful (they even show grossly exaggerated ads to this day), and I know that many of the people in asian countries really don't like black people, but other than that, I'm not really sure.

So to answer the OP's question, I don't really know.

#5 Posted by DBVSE7 (8197 posts) - - Show Bio

Here we go.. and yes it does.

#7 Edited by IHateAnimu (206 posts) - - Show Bio

If you mean privilege as in white is identified as the base whereas other ethnic groups are considered the other and stereotypes of said other become more prominent in the minds of the base, then yes.

(example: two people go to two seperate doors, one white, one black. both residents of both homes go to the door. the one with the white people is replied "theres a guy at the door." while the one with the black person goes "theres a black guy at the door.")

Does it mean that straight white males get all the jobs and moneys because their straight white males and all white people are racists, then no.

Avatar image for midnightdragon18
#9 Posted by midnightdragon18 (9867 posts) - - Show Bio

http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/13/us/texas-affluenza-ethan-couch/

Murders people while under the influence....FLEES THE COUNTRY....two years in prison. If this isn't white privilege idk what is.

#10 Posted by midnightdragon18 (9867 posts) - - Show Bio

Murders people while under the influence....FLEES THE COUNTRY....two years in prison. If this isn't white privilege idk what is.

#11 Posted by w0nd (6803 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends on the state, and its hard to deny it when it's been outed before....

it's "rich" white privilege though, if they are trailer trash it won't make a difference

#12 Posted by w0nd (6803 posts) - - Show Bio

this kid and his mother are scum.

he also was caught drinking again which is why he had to flee in the first place

and on reddit I am reading about Jeff Mizanskey the guy who originally got life for having weed ( also white) he is released now, but wtf....

Avatar image for thenaughtytitan
#13 Edited by TheNaughtyTitan (10001 posts) - - Show Bio

Not to the extent that people like to claim.

#14 Posted by midnightdragon18 (9867 posts) - - Show Bio

@thenaughtytitan: is that why majorities get more time for drugs, even though whites use drugs just as much ?

#15 Posted by midnightdragon18 (9867 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Posted by Leo-343 (30909 posts) - - Show Bio

White people these days man.

#17 Posted by warrior100 (2163 posts) - - Show Bio

yeah.

#18 Posted by muhabba (405 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh God yes. It's obvious. I can go to any store in America and get kind, helpful service without anybody glaring at me out of the corner of their eye. I can get caught smoking a big fatty in the middle of the street and probably only get a warning but no worse than a pleaded down misdeminor. And not only is there white privilege, there's white male privilege. Me and my girl go to that store and all that helpful service directs their questions at me, watch me ask my girl, give them her answer and then they'll ask me the next question. White male privilege runs America point blank and unabashidly. Plus, we got white, straight male privilege. As a straight, white male I can donate blood to anybody and walk into any restroom in America. As a straight, white male I can ignore or blame any minority however I want in America despite straight; white males being a minority when you count the population of the planet. And don't get me started on how great it is to be a straight, white, Christian male. As a straight, white Christian male I can do anything I want to anybody I want and find a bible verse to agree with me and scream religious discrimination at anybody that disagrees with me. It's a wonderful time to be a straight, white Christian male.

Avatar image for thenaughtytitan
#19 Posted by TheNaughtyTitan (10001 posts) - - Show Bio

@thenaughtytitan: is that why majorities get more time for drugs, even though whites use drugs just as much ?

I'm not denying that white privilege exists. It certainly does on some level, but I think it's often exaggerated.

#20 Posted by Renn_Kelen (507 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know how it's possible somebody could say it doesn't exist, lol

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
#21 Posted by WaveMotionCannon (7647 posts) - - Show Bio

Hell yes.

#22 Posted by Hypnos0929 (6268 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes in most states. I go into a convince store and instantly I'm doing something, but I've learn to avoid being looked at to badly by wearing glasses, smiling and keeping my hands in my pockets. If there's a metal detector I walk through it slowly

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
#23 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (45774 posts) - - Show Bio

Of course.

#24 Posted by HeroUp2112 (17865 posts) - - Show Bio

@modernww2fare: Unfortunately, yes. Though fortunately, in the United States, it's fading at a more rapid pace than I would have thought. Not fast enough, but it is.

#25 Edited by silent_bomber (4926 posts) - - Show Bio

Majority Privilege is real and exists in pretty much all Countries worldwide bar maybe a handful of African ones.

In White countries that translates as White privilege, in Indian ones as Indian privilege, in Asian ones as Asian privilege.

Taking precedent over white privilege would be class privilege, ethnic minorities born into wealth and influence have far more privilege than working class white people born into poor areas with run down schools and poorly funded libraries.

People like George Bush don't become president of the US due to sexism or racism, there's countless numbers of white people who are more intelligent and more eloquent speakers than him, he became president mainly due to cronyism and classism.

-----------------------------------------

"White Privilege" itself is a purposefully vague, reductive propaganda term concocted to marginalise dissenting opinions.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
#26 Edited by Fallschirmjager (23432 posts) - - Show Bio

Someone link the Louis CK bit. I'm on my phone

#27 Posted by just_sayin (3084 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes White privilege is real. My experience is different than someone of another culture or race. Conscious or unconscious bias do exist that impact how we treat others. That said, some discussions on white privilege I have observed devolve rather quickly for a few reasons:

1) They assume that the 'white' experience is the same for everybody. A poor white Appalachian person's experience is very different than that of someone who lives in a multi-million dollar mansion in Beverly Hills CA. Other factors bear strongly on how people treat us. Barrack Obama's children's experience is much different than that of a poor white kid in the projects.

2) They deny that other groups can be prejudiced too. And yes, black privilege is a thing. Certainly not on the same level as white privilege but it exists. There are black beauty pageants, black colleges, black entertainment awards. If someone held white counterparts to these they would be considered racists. I know the immediate reaction of some will be to say 'well white people don't need their own of anything, they already control it all'. Such a comment assumes all white people's experience is the same and ignores a privilege extended to some and denied to others. It is considered wrong for white people to celebrate their whiteness, a privilege afforded to African Americans. Again, I'm not saying that the privileges afforded to whites are canceled out by the privileges afforded to non-whites, but let's admit that people of different colors can be prejudiced toward one another.

3) They claim the solution is to punish white people. That may be true in some specific instances to some specific individuals but the vast majority of examples of white privilege that I am familiar with deal with how we wish people would treat each and everyone of us. These common courtesies should be extended to all. The solution is not to deny the white guy the same common courtesies that are being fought for, that just perpetuates racism.

#28 Posted by ryubh (519 posts) - - Show Bio

@muhabba said:

Oh God yes. It's obvious. I can go to any store in America and get kind, helpful service without anybody glaring at me out of the corner of their eye. I can get caught smoking a big fatty in the middle of the street and probably only get a warning but no worse than a pleaded down misdeminor. And not only is there white privilege, there's white male privilege. Me and my girl go to that store and all that helpful service directs their questions at me, watch me ask my girl, give them her answer and then they'll ask me the next question. White male privilege runs America point blank and unabashidly. Plus, we got white, straight male privilege. As a straight, white male I can donate blood to anybody and walk into any restroom in America. As a straight, white male I can ignore or blame any minority however I want in America despite straight; white males being a minority when you count the population of the planet. And don't get me started on how great it is to be a straight, white, Christian male. As a straight, white Christian male I can do anything I want to anybody I want and find a bible verse to agree with me and scream religious discrimination at anybody that disagrees with me. It's a wonderful time to be a straight, white Christian male.

"Stereotypes are wrong, unless they fit my biased point of view"

#29 Posted by Ryagan (5193 posts) - - Show Bio

Absolutely.

#30 Posted by depinhom (13506 posts) - - Show Bio

Can anybody give me an example in the United States' CURRENT society? I'd very much like to know.

#31 Posted by HeroUp2112 (17865 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes White privilege is real. My experience is different than someone of another culture or race. Conscious or unconscious bias do exist that impact how we treat others. That said, some discussions on white privilege I have observed devolve rather quickly for a few reasons:

1) They assume that the 'white' experience is the same for everybody. A poor white Appalachian person's experience is very different than that of someone who lives in a multi-million dollar mansion in Beverly Hills CA. Other factors bear strongly on how people treat us. Barrack Obama's children's experience is much different than that of a poor white kid in the projects.

2) They deny that other groups can be prejudiced too. And yes, black privilege is a thing. Certainly not on the same level as white privilege but it exists. There are black beauty pageants, black colleges, black entertainment awards. If someone held white counterparts to these they would be considered racists. I know the immediate reaction of some will be to say 'well white people don't need their own of anything, they already control it all'. Such a comment assumes all white people's experience is the same and ignores a privilege extended to some and denied to others. It is considered wrong for white people to celebrate their whiteness, a privilege afforded to African Americans. Again, I'm not saying that the privileges afforded to whites are canceled out by the privileges afforded to non-whites, but let's admit that people of different colors can be prejudiced toward one another.

3) They claim the solution is to punish white people. That may be true in some specific instances to some specific individuals but the vast majority of examples of white privilege that I am familiar with deal with how we wish people would treat each and everyone of us. These common courtesies should be extended to all. The solution is not to deny the white guy the same common courtesies that are being fought for, that just perpetuates racism.

He said it better.

#32 Posted by modernww2fare (6884 posts) - - Show Bio

Someone link the Louis CK bit. I'm on my phone

Here ya go

Loading Video...

#33 Posted by sophia89 (19802 posts) - - Show Bio

It exists but it's not as good as Asian privileges. Asians need to check their privileges.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b4a71696d1f
#34 Edited by deactivated-59b4a71696d1f (2785 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, it does exist.

#35 Edited by Pharoh_Atem (44249 posts) - - Show Bio
#36 Posted by Stahlflamme (5563 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, there is also countries were other ethnics groups have similiar advantages. Japan for example, where pure blood is still regarded incredibly highly by many.

#37 Posted by DarthVxder (1034 posts) - - Show Bio

@modernww2fare: Louis CK is the man. I can watch his shows multiple times and theyre just as funny every time.

On Topic: No but then again I live in Puerto Rico and here there is no racism, atleast not from puertorricans but some tourists here can be.

#38 Edited by poeticwarrior (3526 posts) - - Show Bio

From my experience, white people (not all, so cut the crap with semantic) are the ones who ignore racism and privilege the most, likely because they haven't really experienced racism in an extensive way like most minorities.

There's a bamboo ceiling for Asians that even with higher grades and accomplishments, they usually work in lower positions than their white counterparts. A lot of the whites are also born in a better family situation than a lot of minorities while years of oppression in the past have left many minority families in poor, ghetto areas with terrible jobs. In movies, they cast white people specifically. Roles often get changed specifically to whites, especially among Asian roles which are already limited. At best, when the roles change, it's just between Blacks and Whites. The society values Whites more often, which reflected in the dating world. Whenever a crime happens, they don't associate an entire race with the crime, but when a Black guy robs a store, it's a reflection on the entire race.

#39 Posted by just_sayin (3084 posts) - - Show Bio

From my experience, white people (not all, so cut the crap with semantic) are the ones who ignore racism and privilege the most, likely because they haven't really experienced racism in an extensive way like most minorities.

There's a bamboo ceiling for Asians that even with higher grades and accomplishments, they usually work in lower positions than their white counterparts. A lot of the whites are also born in a better family situation than a lot of minorities while years of oppression in the past have left many minority families in poor, ghetto areas with terrible jobs. In movies, they cast white people specifically. Roles often get changed specifically to whites, especially among Asian roles which are already limited. At best, when the roles change, it's just between Blacks and Whites. The society values Whites more often, which reflected in the dating world.

I disagree with part of what you said. First I think white people in the US are more aware of their biases and recognize that on whole that their are common courtesies extended to them that are not extended to other races. I have met some non-whites who are completely oblivious to their prejudices and would even argue that they can't be prejudice because they are part of the majority race. They would not see it as racist when a rich black kid with poor grades is given a scholarship to college when a poor white kid from Appalachia with better grades is turned down. They refuse to even recognize that what the poor white kid has experienced is instutionalized discrimination based on her race. They would seek to justify the bias based on past discrimination events. The fact is well meaning discrimination to correct past wrongs is still discrimination. There is a better way.

I have worked on government applications designed to track fairness in the hiring of government executives. Do you know what isn't a factor in the reports that are generated for review for the agencies I've worked for- white underrepresentation in hiring. There is no check that if a white applicant doesn't get a job in a department that is under represented by his race if it falls under EE laws. You were upset that ethnic roles sometimes go to white people. Isn't it equally wrong to deny a better qualified white applicant a job for a lesser qualified non-white person? Yet, this an example of institutionalized racism. Well meaning racism is still racism.

I work in IT. I am the only white guy in my IT department. I was the only white guy at my last assignment and the one before that also. The majority of people I work with come from either China or India. I've never had a white male boss in my jobs for the government. While I don't deny that ceiling may exist for Asian people, it may depend on the industry.

#40 Edited by jagernutt (15772 posts) - - Show Bio

Not white privilege. FAMILY PRIVILEGE IS REAL :(

#41 Edited by Tobi-wan (83 posts) - - Show Bio

@heroup2112: You don't know what White privilege is. All whites benefit from white privilege point blank period. Black privilege does not exist at least the examples you gave are absolutely terrible. The only reason black colleges and such exist is because of racial discrimination. How are these black privileges when these were things blacks were and are deprived of. Black Beauty pageants exist because black is viewed as ugly. Women in Asia & Latin America with negroid and dark skin features are discriminated against. In Asia they have skin whitening products. Mulattos are underrepresented.

Westernization/globalization, the bias certainly impacts the rest of the world.

And yes a poor white kid still benefits from white privilege.

#42 Posted by HeroUp2112 (17865 posts) - - Show Bio

@tobi-wan: What I basically said, to begin with, was that yes white privilege exists. However, I agreed with the other person, because he pointed out that other kinds of privileges exist too.

Good example. I applied for a job as a fire fighter (I'm not going to say where, I don't want any negative reactions toward me from them or toward them from anyone).

I got the top grade on the entrance exam, the physical agility test, and basic applied mechanical theory test. Do you know why I wasn't hired? Because if you were a minority you got an extra 5 hiring points, if you were a woman you got an extra 5 hiring points. So, a black woman beat me out by two points. Was I upset about it, no. This was back in the early 1990's when hiring practices were just starting to turn around for minorities, and I understood the situation.

However, don't try to sit there and tell me black, or female privilege doesn't exist.

#43 Posted by poeticwarrior (3526 posts) - - Show Bio

@tobi-wan: What I basically said, to begin with, was that yes white privilege exists. However, I agreed with the other person, because he pointed out that other kinds of privileges exist too.

Good example. I applied for a job as a fire fighter (I'm not going to say where, I don't want any negative reactions toward me from them or toward them from anyone).

I got the top grade on the entrance exam, the physical agility test, and basic applied mechanical theory test. Do you know why I wasn't hired? Because if you were a minority you got an extra 5 hiring points, if you were a woman you got an extra 5 hiring points. So, a black woman beat me out by two points. Was I upset about it, no. This was back in the early 1990's when hiring practices were just starting to turn around for minorities, and I understood the situation.

However, don't try to sit there and tell me black, or female privilege doesn't exist.

You're talking about justice vs fairness. Justice is more about making up for past mistakes, so that everyone can be on equal grounds in the future while fairness is about treating everyone fairness regardless of their background and how they get their. What if the Black woman who was hired come from a bad neighborhood? What if she has to do more to get where she is while someone who is at the same position may have an easier time growing up based on their background. If we don't correct the past injustice, it would just basically perpetuate the social ladder in society where the rich where a lot of whites have an edge will get richer while the poor which often affected many minority due to the background they were born in will keep staying at that level.

#44 Posted by HeroUp2112 (17865 posts) - - Show Bio

@poeticwarrior: I'm not (necessarily) arguing with that. It's not my fault what color I'm born, though I recognize the inherent advantages and disadvantages of it. I also understand, to a degree, that some adjustments, at one time...and in my situation was during such a time. However, what happened was a privilege given to that potential fire fighter candidate over myself. I'm not mad about it, but that fact is, there were in fact two advantages given to her.

I also believe, as this was almost thirty years ago, that the time of affirmative action have passed. It's been in place for almost sixty years now, and the field has had time to even out. I'm sorry, but anyone who thinks differently is selling the other ethnic minorities short.

#45 Posted by BatWatch (5487 posts) - - Show Bio

Two years ago, I would say there is no significant racial bias towards whites in the United States, but since that time, I've given it a lot of thought and kept my mind open to what people say, and yes, there is absolutely white privilege in the United States as compared to blacks. Many people I know are more suspicious of black people, and obviously, that makes it a harder for black people.

That being said, there are a lot of other aspects to consider.

There is black privilege too. In my experience, black people can claim racism at the drop of a hat and they usually have much more latitude in discussing racial matters. There are lots of double standards about what can be said that work against white people.

There's also a chicken and the egg question here. We know blacks do worse than whites in nearly every measurable way, but are they doing poorly because of bias against them or is there bias against them because they do poorly?

Also, white privilege isn't necessarily due to pro-white racism. After all, Asians do better in nearly every measurable way than whites in the U.S., so having an advantage is much more than being a whitey..

Most importantly, the government can never fix these problems. Any attempts to balance the racial scales by treating one race better than the other will only create more injustice.

#46 Edited by poeticwarrior (3526 posts) - - Show Bio

@batwatch said:

Two years ago, I would say there is no significant racial bias towards whites in the United States, but since that time, I've given it a lot of thought and kept my mind open to what people say, and yes, there is absolutely white privilege in the United States as compared to blacks. Many people I know are more suspicious of black people, and obviously, that makes it a harder for black people.

There is black privilege too. In my experience, black people can claim racism at the drop of a hat and they usually have much more latitude in discussing racial matters. There are lots of double standards about what can be said that work against white people.

There's also a chicken and the egg question here. We know blacks do worse than whites in nearly every measurable way, but are they doing poorly because of bias against them or is there bias against them because they do poorly?

Also, white privilege isn't necessarily due to pro-white racism. After all, Asians do better in nearly every measurable way than whites in the U.S., so having an advantage is much more than being a whitey..

Most importantly, the government can never fix these problems. Any attempts to balance the racial scales by treating one race better than the other will only create more injustice.

Asians do much better than whites, but they often work at a lower position than whites. You can look up survey and study, it's a bamboo ceiling. More injustice for who? It could just be adjusting the unequal treatment that is already existing. Sometimes SJW can take it way too far, but some consideration is in order to balance out the unequal that is already existing in society.

#47 Posted by poeticwarrior (3526 posts) - - Show Bio

@poeticwarrior: I'm not (necessarily) arguing with that. It's not my fault what color I'm born, though I recognize the inherent advantages and disadvantages of it. I also understand, to a degree, that some adjustments, at one time...and in my situation was during such a time. However, what happened was a privilege given to that potential fire fighter candidate over myself. I'm not mad about it, but that fact is, there were in fact two advantages given to her.

I also believe, as this was almost thirty years ago, that the time of affirmative action have passed. It's been in place for almost sixty years now, and the field has had time to even out. I'm sorry, but anyone who thinks differently is selling the other ethnic minorities short.

There are other inequality exists since we're only arguing about one aspects, but I have already given some other examples on the matter of how white privilege exists.

#48 Posted by BatWatch (5487 posts) - - Show Bio

@heroup2112 said:

You're talking about justice vs fairness. Justice is more about making up for past mistakes, so that everyone can be on equal grounds in the future while fairness is about treating everyone fairness regardless of their background and how they get their. What if the Black woman who was hired come from a bad neighborhood? What if she has to do more to get where she is while someone who is at the same position may have an easier time growing up based on their background. If we don't correct the past injustice, it would just basically perpetuate the social ladder in society where the rich where a lot of whites have an edge will get richer while the poor which often affected many minority due to the background they were born in will keep staying at that level.

Your view of justice is wrong. You are saying we should perpetuate a new type of injustice to make up for past injustices. If we lived this way, every single person would be taking a pound of flesh from every other person, and we could make up endless excuses for how every group of people should be getting special benefits over every other group of people.

Justice can only be found when individuals are judged for their own actions. You suggest we condemn one person for the actions of another, and that's the exact opposite of justice.

#49 Edited by silent_bomber (4926 posts) - - Show Bio

@batwatch said:

Most importantly, the government can never fix these problems.

What about investment into public services in poorer areas (such as Schools) ?

Though I've heard Americans say that these areas need more policing, and I'd imagine that would be unpopular based on track record.

#50 Posted by BatWatch (5487 posts) - - Show Bio

@batwatch said:

Asians do much better than whites, but they often work at a lower position than whites. You can look up survey and study, it's a bamboo ceiling. More injustice for who? It could just be adjusting the unequal treatment that is already existing. Sometimes SJW can take it way too far, but some consideration is in order to balance out the unequal that is already existing in society.

So Asians get paid more than whites while being burdened with less responsibility? That's living the dream, man!

In all seriousness, we know there are different cultural tendencies among different cultural groups. Isn't it plausible that Asian cultures might have tendencies less suited to leadership in American culture?

As far as who would be unjustly persecuted by government attempts to balance the scales, that depends on the specific policy, but to use the previously mentioned question of hiring discrimination, it absolutely is unjust to treat a white person poorly in order to make up for the past injustice to a black person. It would be like if I saw a Japanese girl and stole her purse and screamed, "That's for Pearl Harbor!"