Is what we perceive reality?

ColossalSam22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Is what we perceive reality or just a construct of our minds? Can our minds correctly interpret reality or is reality subjective?

mimisalome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I experienced a very convincing (as far as Im concern) "Mandela Effect" event.

Made me question what "reality" really is.

It's both mind boggling and exciting experience.

last0fth3risen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That is the problem of solipsism, which can't really be objectively solved. Nevertheless, what we perceive is what we know to be reality. If there exists an "objective" reality beyond our perception, then it would be of little to no relevance to us, since we are incapable of interacting with it.

Whether our minds are perceiving the "correct" version of reality has no bearing on the demonstrable reliability of our senses in our daily experiences.

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes No Yes No

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mimisalome:

Can you tell more about your mandala experience?

Hulk_Like_Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. This is all an illusion to the eye and our real state is within us, our soul.

KillBilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By KillBilly

Doesn't matter if we can't tell the difference, does it?

Olorun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@colossalsam22: I guess we could say what we see is our perception of reality, meaning that we only see reality the way we as humans are able to, through the 5 senses. I'm 100% sure there's so much we don't know because we're so limited.

AbstractRaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AbstractRaze

@spareheadone: The Mandala effect is no more and less about the idea or the sensation that we are living in a simulation.

But the thing is that science will never be capable of totally proving reality. In the past, we believed that our sun rotated around the earth and it totally predicted all sorts of weather phenomena or climate change like nowadays, by knowing that in reality, the earth rotates around the sun.

Due to the "Egocentric Predicament" phenomena, no matter if from using a particle accelerator to a telescope, or any scientific tool, we are alone in our minds, everything we know about the world depends on and is created in our mind, therefore it's technically impossible to prove that something is 100% real.

We are stuck in an approximate reality by discovering new things, creating new theories and by constantly philosophizing about all sorts of phenomena, we will never achieve the definitive truth and objective reality.

hyiena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Yes

Darkthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

exactly

AbstractRaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AbstractRaze

@killbilly said:

Because it's convenient and healthy, that's philosophical realism, and realism is a belief that the outside world exists independently from your own phaneron, that everything that we supposedly know, all the things that we can touch, see and smell, would continue to exist even if you're not around in order to experience them.

But it's technically impossible to confirm that realism self is true, we can only believe such as many from us believe in god.

The antithesis of realism is solipsism, and it's truly scary, don't take it so seriously because it could create an existential crisis.

Solipsism is the belief that everything you know, all the people you see, all the people you interact with including myself right now, are creations of your mind, thoughts under unimaginable amounts of subconscious layers, you are the only one that truly exists, even Albert Einstein and the greatest physicians, philosophers, scientists and their discoveries are creations of your subconscious, you domain all the knowledge ever existed, but you aren't aware of it, because it are aside creations, aside independent entities and events created in your own mind.

For example, I could hypothetically tell your right now, that I believe in your solipsism, so, I'm an entity in your mind that is aware that it was created in your mind, a though in another thought proclaiming and acknowledging independence and self-awareness from your own mind.

The thing is, there is no way to tell that solipsism, is not real, also, you can't convince a solipsist that he is wrong.

SeaGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is this the real life?

KillBilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@killbilly said:

Because it's convenient and healthy, that's philosophical realism, and realism is a belief that the outside world exists independently from your own phaneron, that everything that we supposedly know, all the things that we can touch, see and smell, would continue to exist even if you're not around in order to experience them.

But it's technically impossible to confirm that realism self is true, we can only believe such as many from us believe in god.

The antithesis of realism is solipsism, and it's truly scary, don't take it so seriously because it could create an existential crisis.

Solipsism is the belief that everything you know, all the people you see, all the people you interact with including myself right now, are creations of your mind, thoughts under unimaginable amounts of subconscious layers, you are the only one that truly exists, even Albert Einstein and the greatest physicians, philosophers, scientists and their discoveries are creations of your subconscious, you domain all the knowledge ever existed, but you aren't aware of it, because it are aside creations, aside independent entities and events created in your own mind.

For example, I could hypothetically tell your right now, that I believe in your solipsism, so, I'm an entity in your mind that is aware that it was created in your mind, a though in another thought proclaiming and acknowledging independence and self-awareness from your own mind.

The thing is, there is no way to tell that solipsism, is not real, also, you can't convince a solipsist that he is wrong.

Mhmmm.

TakenStew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. This is all an illusion created by Mysterio.

fabricolage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By fabricolage

@seagod said:

Is this the real life?

Is this just fantasy?

SeaGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seagod said:

Is this the real life?

Is this just fantasy?

Caught in a landslide

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God is All

God is the being that experiences through you.

When you see the moon, you are God experiencing God as the moon.

When you realise that you and the moon are One, you realise that the moon is as real as you are.

AbstractRaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@killbilly: Yeah, there are even more crazy things about the whole subject, but not going to write them, not all people should access those sorts of concepts, especially minors or young people under 18 to 19 years old.

If you are interested about that considering you reacted a bit thoughtful, don't over-focus solipsism the more you focus it the more are the risks to become insane, rather focus realism, it's healthy and it works.

Cheers

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I really hope not because what I'm perceiving is a big pile of shit.

KillBilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By KillBilly

@abstractraze said:

@killbilly: Yeah, there are even more crazy things about the whole subject, but not going to write them, not all people should access those sorts of concepts, especially minors or young people under 18 to 19 years old.

If you are interested about that considering you reacted a bit thoughtful, don't over-focus solipsism the more you focus it the more are the risks to become insane, rather focus realism, it's healthy and it works.

Cheers

Well, it was more an acknowledgement that what you said is correct and that I understand and mostly share your viewpoint. I talk about it a bit in the "Is Carrie White a Villain" thread.

TonyStark6999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. This is all an illusion created by Mysterio.

Darkthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seagod said:

Is this the real life?

damn I was listening to bohemian rhapsody when I read this

Darkthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

No, as a matter of fact physics objective data suggests reality has relatively little to do with what it looks like to us. This starts with the world being three-dimensional from our perspective and while we don't know how many dimensions the world actually has three is very much not true. But then ignoring physics we can also say our senses are not accurate based on biology alone after all what we see is actually a series of two seperate mirror images reflected inside our eyes, which our brain flips around makes into one and then shows us as a single moving sequence. And the spectrum of light and sound frequencies we can perceive is very much limited compared to other animals much less what is actually there so that alone shows we don't perceive what is really there and at best have an incomplete picture. Then there is psychological instances let's say you see someone dragging a screaming child around, but it's actually the kid having fun with a parent and not someone kidnapping it.

Joker567892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is not reality

Avatar image for redhood_jaytodd
RedHood_JayTodd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of course not. This is all a game.

Avatar image for firestarlord73194
FireStarLord73194

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes this is reality

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@killbilly said:

The latter part of this post is a potent cocktail for some harrowing, self-induced psychological torment. I'll admit I find it quite interesting (in a meta kind of way), but I'm getting the impression I'd be better off steering clear of the subject, even for curiosity's sake.

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#30 Lunacyde  Moderator

Rationally speaking there's no way to tell. The best we can manage really is consensus that we are all experiencing that "reality" similarly.

OrdinaryAlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Truth is absolute but our perceptions of truth make up reality.

AbstractRaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By AbstractRaze

@reactor: Good idea, even the healthiest mental people found themselves towards an endless abys of doubts and unanswered enigmas after overthinking about the subject, especially when it comes to solipsism, the more you dig in the more questions appear, people ended up killing themselves, not even external emotional boundaries could stop them from doing that.

red_ruby_petal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Reality to me isn't universal, its subjective. I might be playing with definitions but all I say is, for a definite answer I can give, your reality is what you perceive.

Void_Reborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, yeah, what else would this be? This is the only 'reality' we ever have, and ever will experience.