Is this RACIST or just preference?

• 54 results
RudyGiuliani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Is this RACIST or just preference? (43 votes)

Racism 58%
Preference 42%

Girl was initially asked, what is the most attractive thing that a guy can do? Her response was just don't be black. The interviewer then followed up asking her if blacks were not her type, and she said yes not black people.

Would you put this under preference or racism?

• 
Jurance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both.

jacdec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

If I was black, I would take that for racism.

Avatar image for miguelcervantes
MiguelCervantes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, it's just her preference.

The contrary has happened many and many times and almost nobody gives a shit.

Ssenrof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Having a sexual preference isn't racist, But, answering the question " what's the most attractice thing a guy can do" with don't be black certaintly hints at a racist worldview. Or more likely, a troll.

The question wasn't "what's your type"? It's about what can men do, hence it's a behavioral question.

Even if it's not racist, it's obnoxiously stupid.

McFlicky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah that's pretty racist

SuperDarth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very racist lmao

NOHOOUR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

would it also be discriminatory to also prefer someone not to be short, broke, old, ugly, disabled or trans?

Cooldude89976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Cooldude89976

Well, if the world keeps on going with people like this, we'll likely never achieve a semblance of world peace. 😖

LightorDark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Technically, yes, but that wouldn’t be the first though that came to mind.

Also, based on the definition I highlighted, it would be racist to say, “the most attractive thing someone could do was be black.“ No one ever looks at it that way, though.

Avatar image for deactivated-64969837cbeff
deactivated-64969837cbeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A little of both, it appears.

Jigosi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It may be slightly racist. The thing is she stereotyping Black people, or she doesn't like the way they look? I say this because either she just doesn't want to be with that ethnicity, or there might be a reason why she doesn't like them weather it being because she may think they're too hood like, or their stereotypes make her uncomfortable with them. And when we're talking about Black people, we would have to be specific. I say this because there are Black people in different parts of the world. You have your blacks from America, blacks in Africa, the middle east, and so on. Maybe she sees how the media portrays Black people as all hip-hop, twerking, getting mad if someone says the N-word, (which I don't blame her.) And we don't know what race she can be. She can be Asian, Islander, Middle Eastern, Latina. To me, she looks Latina, so she might prefer other Hispanics. At the end of the day, it is her preference whether she prefers Black or not, but we should ridicule her for that. There are more than 1 billion people on this earth, so what she prefers shouldn't be the center of the world.

Jigosi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ssenrof: True, he did ask what the most attractive thing that a guy can do, not what race she likes/hates. We can take this in another way as she doesn't like the way black people act instead of what they look like, though it would still be judgmental.

Jigosi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jacdec:

What do you mean by that? You implied that you weren't black so does that mean it wasn't a racist comment?

Jigosi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cooldude89976: It's just her preference, she could be a closet-racist, but it still doesn't equal world peace just because she doesn't prefer black people.

Jigosi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

noobsnowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a racist preference.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted without fully reading. I wish I could take it back because I need to give it another look.

Avatar image for deactivated-6466bbc8709dc
deactivated-6466bbc8709dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Having a racial preference in dating might not be racist; I don't get why race would be a deal breaker in dating, but when you say the best thing a person can do is "not be black," you're racist lmao.

NOHOOUR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wk_decaff: a lot of deal breakers consist of factors outside of someone's control

arctika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By arctika

The way she worded it poorly no doubt about it lol but I think everyone has preferences that doesn't mean you're a "racist". There's plenty of people out there regardless of race, white, black, latino etc, etc who only date within their own race. I personally don't limit myself to this narrative, if I'm attracted to a chick I don't really care what they are. I'm more concerned with personality and beliefs to be honest.

jacdec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jigosi said:

@jacdec:

What do you mean by that? You implied that you weren't black so does that mean it wasn't a racist comment?

No, I just mean that hurtful words have more impact on the people concerned than on others.

Godam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DCEU_Buster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, it's just her preference.

The contrary has happened many and many times and almost nobody gives a shit.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At surface level I take this as preference. I’d need more before I throw the race card

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By cattlebattle

Wow, based.

Seriously though, probably something like 8/10 of the people on planet earth think like this in some capacity, they just wouldn't say it out loud.

Avatar image for deactivated-648a60c474283
deactivated-648a60c474283

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, easily.

I sort of agree with one thing post 26 said. Not the 8/10 part but a lot of people aren’t honest about this topic. Preferences are just used by some people to cover up racism, even if I think there could be some decent reasons for having a racial preference. When I think of preferences, it would be like someone saying: “I like A more than B, C, D, or E.” Which is not the same as not liking B-E. If preferences are used to be exclusionary, it starts to become more questionable imo. And it’s pretty telling that when asked about what attractive things guys can do (question about personality or character traits) her first response is racial. Which has nothing to do with that. I think even the interviewer didn’t really know for a second how to respond to that lol.

And even if you wanted to reduce her racial preference to something about attractiveness, since it’s ok to be physically discriminatory in the dating world, it’s not like all people of the same race all look alike or have the same facial features or skin tone. From her statement, she’s obviously not excluding any other race or ethnicity with a variety of cultures, facial features, or skin tones. Guarantee if this woman was probed with further questions and she answered honestly, she’d just say something unambiguously racist.

arctika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cattlebattle: Yup. I've met quite a few people over the years including some of my friends who are now married, who've told me "yeah I'm not racist I just am not attracted to this race, that race" I think it's definitely more of a preference aside from the fact that these people have friends, family of various races and get along fine. I think this is just another example of people throwing around the term loosely most of the time with dating and race preferences etc.

Ilyas97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Children in the comment section lol.

It’s just preference lol.

KingLouie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah it's racist. People would put a shield over it and call it preference.

It all starts at childhood.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, based.

Seriously though, probably something like 8/10 of the people on planet earth think like this in some capacity, they just wouldn't say it out loud.

Seriously though, probably something like 8/10 of the people on planet earth think like this in some capacity

idk about that one chief.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ilyas97: Telling someone the best thing they can do is not be black, is racist.

kingogkings777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes and no.

jacdec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@millanor

Ne perdez pas de vue que chacun à le droit de penser librement et d'avoir ses opinions. Cela n'implique pas le droit de les exprimer haut et clair en public.

RudyGiuliani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jacdec said:
@cattlebattle said:

@millanor

Ne perdez pas de vue que chacun à le droit de penser librement et d'avoir ses opinions. Cela n'implique pas le droit de les exprimer haut et clair en public.

First way of controlling ones thoughts is by limiting what they can say. Speech and thoughts are directly connected.

GreyTheJiren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By GreyTheJiren

That's very much racist. She was real fast with her answers and worded it in a bad way.

And that's not all, so her single preference is that a man is not black? White european, middle eastern, caucasian, central asian, south east asian, south american and central american people aren't exactly white but they are different from each other. It's very odd that outside so many different groups of people she has issues only with black.

And the way she worded it. The guy asked her what is the most attractive thing the guy can do and she replied "Not be black", like what? How is that an answer.

heiqn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#38  Edited By heiqn

it's racist.

Sentences do matter. Saying "I don't find black people attractive" and "Don't be black and that's enough for me" are two different things. First one isn't racist, but second one is.

arctika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wording is definitely key for sure.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Thats racist.

There’s nothing racist about not being attracted to black people, but it’s definitely racist to say the most attractive thing about someone is “not being black”. Lol

seastone98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah

Jigosi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am black, and honestly, I wouldn't care. There is like 7 billion people if not more and there is better looking girls too.

Jigosi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

arctika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By arctika
Marsz1pan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both.

Wording does matter

ReaperTheGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not enough proof to call her outright racist. (Thats a heavy causation for a 5 second clip.) But she is clearly prejudiced in her dating preferences.

NOHOOUR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By NOHOOUR

well you can't force someone to be attracted to someone they're not attracted to. sometimes it sucks when you get discriminated for stuff outside of your control

is it also ageist to exclude older or younger people?

is it also heightist to exclude short people?

is it ableist to exclude blind or disabled people?

is it classist to exclude broke or homeless people?

is it transphobic to exclude transgenders?

is it homophobic to exclude those of the same sex?

is it fatphobic to exclude morbidly obese people?

at the end of the day it should come down to consistency

Avatar image for deactivated-66958ee8aca34
deactivated-66958ee8aca34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The way she phrased it is racist, having aesthetic preferences itself isn't - liking one skin colour more than another is no different from having a favourite hair or eye colour.

Avatar image for ozzy_manueldiaz
Ozzy_ManuelDiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The way she phrased it is racist, having aesthetic preferences itself isn't - liking one skin colour more than another is no different from having a favourite hair or eye colour.

this

Ajak_XV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean no not rlly.