Is there any excitement for Avatar 2?

• 52 results
_Gaff_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I remember how big the first one was, but that was 9 years ago. Between 2020 to 2025 Fox plans on pumping out 4 more films. Is there a demand for this? Are people going to go crazy for the franchise again once a trailer comes out? What do you think?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a5a76120d2ba
deactivated-5a5a76120d2ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I never got it.

The first movie sucked.

It had the plot of Pocahontas and Dances with Wolves.

Somehow the aliens do not notice that Jake's fake body does not even have the same number of fingers as them.

The great and powerful flying monster that they almost worship because only the most powerful of warriors can capture one... can just be taken down by jumping on its back... So a group of great tribal warriors who regularly use smaller flying creatures to ride on, took Jake showing up to point out, hey, just jump on its back.

The pacing was exactly the same as Titanic, and Cameron even reused some shots from Titanic almost exactly.

The acting was nothing special at all.

The only really impressive part of the movie was the special effects.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, I think that general audiences have kind of left Avatar behind. In their defense, most don't even realize Avatar 2 is coming. I was talking to my family about it the other day, and I was the only one who even knew that they were making Avatar 2. Unless you're a movie nut like me, you probably have no idea James Cameron is even working on Avatar 2.

However, I think that'll change once we get a trailer for it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b60e98a8eb99
deactivated-5b60e98a8eb99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@misterwhisper:

Somehow the aliens do not notice that Jake's fake body does not even have the same number of fingers as them.

To be fair, they did know he was actually human, they just weren't aware of exactly why he was there.

KSI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't thought about Avatar in years.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b60e98a8eb99
deactivated-5b60e98a8eb99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That said, nah.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b5405244e89c
deactivated-5b5405244e89c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Oh yeah the blue cat monkeys.

Nope.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrmonster: A lot of people don't know we're getting movies until the trailer drops. My mum didn't know The Last Jedi was coming out until the trailer hit tv.

Yassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Yassassin

The balls on Cameron to bet what are essentially the last few years of his career on these movies. He better be bring out some space age tech for it's cinematography, because that all anyone generally remembers about Avatar: it looked pretty.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrmonster: A lot of people don't know we're getting movies until the trailer drops. My mum didn't know The Last Jedi was coming out until the trailer hit tv.

True. On topic, of course mainstream audiences aren't holding their breath in anticipation for a movie that's not coming out until December of 2020.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tvc-15 said:

The balls on Cameron to bet what are essentially the last few years of his career on these movies. He better be bring out some space age tech for it's cinematography, because that all anyone generally remembers about Avatar: it looked pretty.

Well, considering Disney will soon have the rights to Avatar (it was included in the Fox deal), I think James Cameron will have no problem getting his hands on the latest and greatest high tech equipment.

If the special effects in Avatar 2 are as good as The Jungle Book's, I'll be satisfied.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrmonster: Well I'm not. And it seems I'm one of the few here that actually liked Avatar.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monsterstomp: I sure am, especially now that Avatar is moving to Disney. I think that a combination of Disney magic and a Disney level budget could make Avatar 2 amazing.

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monsterstomp: I sure am, especially now that Avatar is moving to Disney. I think that a combination of Disney magic and a Disney level budget could make Avatar 2 amazing.

I think that Cameron was already creating a spectacle as he is very good at that, but I am curious to see the Disney marketing machine roll out and create crazy buzz for a movie that died off a year or so after its initial release. I want to see how much hype they can generate for this property in an age where 3D isn't special and fantastical worlds aren't unique.

I, personally did not like the original Avatar as it was too full of patronizing hippy-dippy bull$#%! and misguided white-savior/noble savage tropes.

KanyeCosby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually liked Avatar a lot, but it isn’t really deserving of the highest grossing movie of all time.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mrmonster

@mrmonster said:

I think that Cameron was already creating a spectacle as he is very good at that, but I am curious to see the Disney marketing machine roll out and create crazy buzz for a movie that died off a year or so after its initial release. I want to see how much hype they can generate for this property in an age where 3D isn't special and fantastical worlds aren't unique.

I, personally did not like the original Avatar as it was too full of patronizing hippy-dippy bull$#%! and misguided white-savior/noble savage tropes.

Care to explain?

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Penguin-Dust

@mrmonster: I think it's been covered ad nauseum elsewhere.

[Avatar] rests on the stereotype that white people are rationalist and technocratic while colonial victims are spiritual and athletic. It rests on the assumption that nonwhites need the White Messiah to lead their crusades. It rests on the assumption that illiteracy is the path to grace. It also creates a sort of two-edged cultural imperialism. Natives can either have their history shaped by cruel imperialists or benevolent ones, but either way, they are going to be supporting actors in our journey to self-admiration.

Basically, you had an outside come down from the sky and save the natives who are in peace with the Gaia from evil imperial capitalists. He hooked up with the native pricess and learned that a his world was evil, while her's was good and harmonious.

tj849

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Honestly, I think that general audiences have kind of left Avatar behind. In their defense, most don't even realize Avatar 2 is coming. I was talking to my family about it the other day, and I was the only one who even knew that they were making Avatar 2. Unless you're a movie nut like me, you probably have no idea James Cameron is even working on Avatar 2.

Hes working on it now? I thought they said they werent doing another one and wanted Avatar 1 to remain an icon.

Avatar image for deactivated-614ce5c370323
deactivated-614ce5c370323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For a minute there I thought you were talking about the other avatar not this one.

I almost swore.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mrmonster

@tj849 said:
@mrmonster said:

Hes working on it now? I thought they said they werent doing another one and wanted Avatar 1 to remain an icon.

No, he's been working on the Avatar sequels for a while. But they've kept getting pushed back. Avatar 2 will be released in December 2020, and then there will be another 3 sequels. His plan is for 5 Avatar movies.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yaawwwwnnnsss...mmpphh...Avatarwhatnow?

tj849

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tj849 said:
@mrmonster said:

No, he's been working on the Avatar sequels for a while. But they've kept getting pushed back. Avatar 2 will be released in December 2020, and then there will be another 3 sequels. His plan is for 5 Avatar movies.

Im probably not gonna watch them. The first Avatar film to me was nothing really special.

Referee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not from me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b2dd32201ad6
deactivated-5b2dd32201ad6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not really.

PayneInTheAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not really unter a trailer drops

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never got it.

The first movie sucked.

It had the plot of Pocahontas and Dances with Wolves.

The great and powerful flying monster that they almost worship because only the most powerful of warriors can capture one... can just be taken down by jumping on its back... So a group of great tribal warriors who regularly use smaller flying creatures to ride on, took Jake showing up to point out, hey, just jump on its back.

The pacing was exactly the same as Titanic, and Cameron even reused some shots from Titanic almost exactly.

The acting was nothing special at all.

The only really impressive part of the movie was the special effects.

That's about it

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RKelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, the first film had a recycled plot, average acting and the only thing good about it was that it looked nice

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrmonster: I think it's been covered ad nauseum elsewhere.

[Avatar] rests on the stereotype that white people are rationalist and technocratic while colonial victims are spiritual and athletic. It rests on the assumption that nonwhites need the White Messiah to lead their crusades. It rests on the assumption that illiteracy is the path to grace. It also creates a sort of two-edged cultural imperialism. Natives can either have their history shaped by cruel imperialists or benevolent ones, but either way, they are going to be supporting actors in our journey to self-admiration.

Basically, you had an outside come down from the sky and save the natives who are in peace with the Gaia from evil imperial capitalists. He hooked up with the native pricess and learned that a his world was evil, while her's was good and harmonious.

Dang, I've seen lots of SJW stuff on the internet before, but this one might take the cake. If you didn't like the movie, fine, we're all entitled to our own opinions, but you have to admit that basically calling it a white supremacist movie is a bit ridiculous.

MainJP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not really, no.

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrmonster: I never said that it is a white supremacist movie, I said it was a white savior movie. There is a difference. And, I am far from the likes of any SJW bitchin' on Tumblr. I just recognize the story formula and I tired of it.

Heatblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Not really, not when the Incredibles 2 is around the corner.

Space_Coyote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@tvc-15 said:

So true

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Cable_Extreme

I remember when Avatar came out. I must have bought 8 or so tickets. All of Cameron’s Movies are master pieces imo. He is a true artist and visionary.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

Tbh I thought the first one ended on a fairly conclusive note with no need for a followup. Much less the tide Cameron is planning... plus the first one was to me a spectacle meant to promote 3D, which I think is junk, while the story was just kinda meh... so no, not really excited for it.

AgentHercules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By AgentHercules

It's been nine years since Avatar was released, and by the time the sequel arrives, it will have been eleven years. I don't think the general audience has retained their interest for the sequels. Also considering that the entire reason Avatar took off in the first place was because of the special effects that were revolutionary at the time, given that the story was absolute garbage, they would have to really up the ante on the special effects for the sequels, which Cameron has plans for four of them.

However, since Disney has bought the rights to the franchise, I do hold some hope that they can deliver a good story line, along with improved graphics. I'm somewhat eager to see how a Disney backed Avatar production would do.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bc57690a1c7d
deactivated-5bc57690a1c7d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not really.

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am, but I'm also really interested in alien designs and ecosystems from a scientific perspective, and Cameron puts a lot of effort into that front. The Na'vi are interesting, and the flora and fauna of Pandora are as well. The story is simple but serviceable. The real draw is the alien world he built and the incredible effects he uses to bring it to life.

EmperorSentry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm looking forward to it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb6c77c8d900
deactivated-5fb6c77c8d900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why though?

Avatar image for proteusxmanrxis
ProteusXManRxis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Yea sure. The 1st one was enjoyable.

GIliad_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The only thing people know is that it'll exist. Until a trailer drops there's no point.

Avatar image for echostarlord117
echostarlord117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I get shivers (in a bad way) every time I think of that stupid movie.

Amonfire1776

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fox? What is fox?

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@giliad_ said:

The only thing people know is that it'll exist. Until a trailer drops there's no point.

I don't think mainstream audiences even know that. Not too long ago, I was talking to my family about the Disney-Fox merger, brought up Avatar 2, and all their responses were something alone the lines of "Wait, they're making an Avatar 2?"

General audiences tend not to know about movies until they see a trailer.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One thing that may build hype for Avatar 2 is the new Pandora: The World of Avatar at Disney's Animal Kingdom.

I just got back from it, and trust me, it's incredible. Even if you're not the biggest fan of Avatar, you will love the park. The rides are like you wouldn't believe.

I think this is just what James Cameron needed to get people talking about Avatar again.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b84aca03eae8
deactivated-5b84aca03eae8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed the first Avatar. It was a breathtaking movie experience. I'm interested in seeing the sequels when they roll out.

socajunkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By socajunkie  Moderator

I can't think of a more style over substance film than Avatar-besides Michael Bay directed movies. To extend the first clause: it was mixed in w/an overall 'meh' cast of actors, recycled plot from Dances with Wolves etc, racism in the sub-text and a villain so generic he makes Acnologia look interesting by comparison. The only thing I liked about Avatar was the spectacle and that it looked pretty which are the only two merits it has.

Well, besides being self-aware enough to call the mcguffin 'Unobtanium' which was honestly hilarious.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb6a6f86dc65
deactivated-5bb6a6f86dc65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i hope they make a tv series

TheWatcherKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers