Is paranoia healthy?

#1 Edited by Dr_Shenanigans (536 posts) - - Show Bio

I gotta say it is just from experience, when I've trusted people or given them the benefit of the doubt more often than not it turns out very bad for me, like more than 90% of the time, so as far as I'm concerned more than 90% of people have zero integrity & can't be trusted.

I don't even want to get into why you shouldn't trust a word the government says *cough*Illuminate*cough*reptilians*cough*

#2 Posted by kgb725 (19728 posts) - - Show Bio

It's time to start blaming yourself instead of others

#3 Posted by Dr_Shenanigans (536 posts) - - Show Bio

@kgb725 said:

Yeah & kidnap, rape & murder victims should stop blaming their attackers & take responsibility for their own actions. What?

#4 Edited by AbstractRaze (2990 posts) - - Show Bio

Depending on your surroundings, during the medieval ages, not just common paranoia but an extreme amount of paranoia was not only a necessary evil for the people which belonged to the nobel society and among militaristic leadership, but essential in order to keep the power under control among the most capable and sharp people out there, not sharp or instinctively enough and you were either killed, poisoned, backstabbed by your most trusted people and so on, it might have killed a lot of innocent people, but it saved the wealth.

It depends, paranoia could be the most sickening thing ever, but the healthiest sickness ever.

Then as we all know, the Revolution came in Europe, and all the wealth which belonged to the nobles and kings became part of the National Heritage of the following country, without their paranoia, who knows what would have happened, all their gold was confiscated and distributed as the National Heritage of the country.

#5 Posted by kgb725 (19728 posts) - - Show Bio

@kgb725 said:

Yeah & kidnap, rape & murder victims should stop blaming their attackers & take responsibility for their own actions. What?

Ah yes everyone else is at fault but you're 100% innocent

#6 Posted by xNahtebx (951 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't be too careful

#7 Posted by Juggerman40 (638 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for infantfinite128
#8 Posted by infantfinite128 (6178 posts) - - Show Bio

No, but being cautious is healthy.

#9 Edited by jonjizz (1380 posts) - - Show Bio

when you know psychology and human nature well enough, you can "trust" people to act just like you assume they would... don't know if it's healthy or not, but it sure feels nice to say "i told you!" to those who doubted you or called you a cynic!

#10 Posted by Iron_Tiger (1062 posts) - - Show Bio

No, but being cautious is healthy and normal. When it's a huge percentage on those you cannot trust, then you should take a look at yourself and the situations you put yourself in.

#11 Edited by BatmanPlusJay (4834 posts) - - Show Bio

Caution, healthy. Paranoia, unhealthy.

#12 Posted by SpareHeadOne (6928 posts) - - Show Bio

Even if you are paranoid and you spy on someone and find that they are betraying you. All you have done is serve to destroy your heart even more.

Loving and trusting that person could have even served to curb that person's behaviour, and caused them to be loyal.

Avatar image for life_without_progress
#13 Edited by Life_Without_Progress (25418 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope. It's often a root for mental disorders. Plus, it's going to make you age faster.

Avatar image for the-finger-snap
#14 Posted by The-Finger-Snap (34 posts) - - Show Bio

Paranoia ain't good for you

Avatar image for deactivated-5d26a3a3d293d
#15 Posted by deactivated-5d26a3a3d293d (3054 posts) - - Show Bio

No, paranoia isn’t good for you. And your current outlook seems more than problematic. Some self reflection would probably do you some good.

#16 Posted by MICKEY-MOUSE (36962 posts) - - Show Bio

I mean it’s not paranoia if the distrust or lack of trust is rooted in logical thought. Logical thought; I can’t fully trust this “friend” I just meet a month ago. Paranoid thought; I can't fully trust this “friend” because she’s planning on raping me and feeding me to her lizard babies.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf823e3012e8
#17 Posted by deactivated-5cf823e3012e8 (449 posts) - - Show Bio

To a degree

#18 Posted by Fabricolage (2090 posts) - - Show Bio

Only in the incredibly limited moderation of the lower levels of anxiety, like not leaving a lot of money around, having public or moral decency in appearance and actions, not having a nsfw tab open at school or work, not having or wearing gold chains or flaunt money in a bad neighborhood, not leaving the house door wide open every day, working hard to be a better person to pass tests and exams or homework, not leaving precious card game cards at a party or maybe something that was new alone somewhere at a party, etc. It's not the people will be out to get you, more like you can get screwed over.

It usually becomes a problem when a person doesn't notice it, like in a 'he who fights monsters' type of situation of conflict, which becomes a problem. As well as long as it's not witch hunt levels or being too afraid to accept defeat in one own's actions or refusal to compromise. Because that then becomes the general use and meaning of paranoia.

Not a medical expert though, so it's just an opinion.

#19 Edited by Buckwheat (2469 posts) - - Show Bio

@dr_shenanigans: paranoia is a mental disease so no, it can't be considered healthy.

It is in fact the exact opposite of healthy.

#20 Posted by BullPR (6118 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

#21 Edited by Tronmest35 (136 posts) - - Show Bio

No. Paranoia can really be unhealthy for u. Especially when you are in high authority. It's like u see conspiracies, threats, betrayals everywhere, even when there are none. It clouds your judgment and makes you act rashly. Eventually u lose trust for everyone that u know and use fear in order to get them in line

#22 Posted by AlexTheBoss (18901 posts) - - Show Bio

@kgb725: Dude, what are you going on about? I agree it’s not good to be paranoid, but you have no idea what his situation is so why are you talking about blame? Even if he was betrayed due to being naive, you can’t really blame the naive person, you should blame the piece of crap trying to trick them for their own gain.

#23 Posted by Mr_Shazam0920 (5388 posts) - - Show Bio

Being aware and cautious is healthy. Paranoia is not.

Avatar image for theinsufferable
#24 Edited by TheInsufferable (3059 posts) - - Show Bio

I mean, it's called paranoia when it's excessive. So paranoia is, by definition, unhealthy.

#25 Posted by kgb725 (19728 posts) - - Show Bio

@kgb725: Dude, what are you going on about? I agree it’s not good to be paranoid, but you have no idea what his situation is so why are you talking about blame? Even if he was betrayed due to being naive, you can’t really blame the naive person, you should blame the piece of crap trying to trick them for their own gain.

Most people that go around saying bs like this usually go around causing problems. "All of my exes are crazy" "I dont get along with other girls" "i dont deal with drama" etc. Somehow 90% of the people he meets always betrays him ? It's not impossible but I doubt OP is as innocent as he wants us to believe

#26 Posted by WorldofRuin6 (4014 posts) - - Show Bio

Being cautious never hurt, but paranoia can be extremely counterproductive. Find the line and walk it, preferably on the cautious side.

#27 Edited by mimisalome (5516 posts) - - Show Bio

Peculiarities in human behavior are always qualified between being benign or afflicting.

If a certain behavior affects your cognitive functions, affects your capacity for social adaptation, and it reduces your quality of life then it can be considered as a (mental) disorder.

#28 Posted by AlexTheBoss (18901 posts) - - Show Bio

@kgb725: That could be the case, but we can’t know for sure. For all we know they could have a mental disorder that causes them paranoia or just be really unlucky with the people they meet. All we can do is honesty answer the question.