#1 Edited by Dr_Shenanigans (536 posts) - - Show Bio

A strike with the PIP & then close the fist & follow through with the MCP? I'm afraid I'll break my hand if I try to practice such a punch but I've broken my fingers before.

EDIT: I realize you'd have to accelerate the punch twice but there are more than a few ways to do that with centrifugal force & other methods.

#2 Posted by jonjizz (1230 posts) - - Show Bio

PIP? MCP?

#3 Posted by Dr_Shenanigans (536 posts) - - Show Bio
#4 Posted by SeaGod (4741 posts) - - Show Bio

Just throw a normal punch then follow with the elbow to the head

#5 Posted by Dr_Shenanigans (536 posts) - - Show Bio

@seagod said:

Just throw a normal punch then follow with the elbow to the head

Or fake the punch & just throw the elbow.

#6 Posted by jonjizz (1230 posts) - - Show Bio

@dr_shenanigans: ah now i get it, i believe if you get the angle and everything just right you could hypothetically pull it off, but the question is... why would you? it wouldn't do any more damage than a regular punch, infact it would do much less damage because of the weird angle of the punch, while at the same time requiring such precision that, unless the other person stays perfectly still, you most likely wouldn't connect properly even if you knew how to do it.

so imo no, not feasible.

#7 Posted by Dr_Shenanigans (536 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonjizz said:

@dr_shenanigans: ah now i get it, i believe if you get the angle and everything just right you could hypothetically pull it off, but the question is... why would you? it wouldn't do any more damage than a regular punch, infact it would do much less damage because of the weird angle of the punch, while at the same time requiring such precision that, unless the other person stays perfectly still, you most likely wouldn't connect properly even if you knew how to do it.

so imo no, not feasible.

If you can pull off a spear knuckle punch without breaking fingers & instantly follow it up with a proper 1 inch punch you don't think that would do extra damage?

#8 Posted by AlexTheBoss (18613 posts) - - Show Bio

A complex move can almost never be effectively used in a real fight. In stressful situations you lose your fine motor skills, and there are too many factors. Basic strikes practiced over and over again is the best thing you can do.

#9 Edited by jonjizz (1230 posts) - - Show Bio

@dr_shenanigans said:
@jonjizz said:

so imo no, not feasible.

If you can pull off a spear knuckle punch without breaking fingers & instantly follow it up with a proper 1 inch punch you don't think that would do extra damage?

nope, the 1 inch punch (or any similar technique) requires stable footing, and if you've just thrown a punch you will not be in a stable position, also your center of gravity will be too shifted, so you'll fail at doing the extra damage.

a normal punch would still do more damage regardless, just look at the power behind his punches

Loading Video...

the technique you're proposing would have NONE of that power, while being 100 times more difficult to perform effectively.

i think your best bet for this to work would be to use the momentum of your spear knuckle punch and turn it downward without stopping while still pushing forward with your legs, so as to cut your opponent pretty good with your PIP and then "push" him away with your MCP joints to further destabilize his posture, but it would leave you too open, and seems very ineffective either way.

#10 Posted by RabumAlal (5316 posts) - - Show Bio

Have you tried IMP?

#11 Posted by Dr_Shenanigans (536 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonjizz: I can only take that as a challenge to develop & master the triple impact punch but striking with the finger tips is risky, unless it's under the ribs, that could fold a dude right over from the sheer discomfort.

#12 Edited by Mister_Stark (1532 posts) - - Show Bio

A simple 1-2 is much more practical and it'll actually do damage.

#14 Edited by Dr_Shenanigans (536 posts) - - Show Bio

@rabumalal said:

Have you tried IMP?

No, does Imp taste good?

#15 Edited by jonjizz (1230 posts) - - Show Bio

@dr_shenanigans: lol i like the way you think! also the finger tips attack at the trachea/windpipe is actually very effective

#16 Edited by Dr_Shenanigans (536 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonjizz said:

@dr_shenanigans: lol i like the way you think! also the finger tips attack at the trachea/windpipe is actually very effective

I know the fighting arts aren't a toy but damn it's fun! Ever had another grown man completely at your mercy? It's a trip!

Avatar image for indomitableregal
#17 Posted by IndomitableRegal (16587 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope. Better off with a feint and catching them clean.

#18 Posted by LeeM724 (698 posts) - - Show Bio

What does a double impact punch mean?

Is it striking with the same hand twice?

#19 Posted by SpareHeadOne (6609 posts) - - Show Bio

I often do the quadruple impact punch

Finger tips - Tiger Claw knuckles- one inch punch- back wrist. I've killed a few fighters when I have applied to the throat- jugular- jaw - temple.

I prefer to use my quintuple impact kicks.

#20 Posted by mikethekiller (9682 posts) - - Show Bio

No it's not feasible, just throw a regular punch.

#21 Posted by Dr_Shenanigans (536 posts) - - Show Bio

@leem724 said:

What does a double impact punch mean?

Is it striking with the same hand twice?

That's the idea.

#22 Edited by Doofasa (2229 posts) - - Show Bio

If you're directing the movie you're staring in, sure it's feasible.

#23 Edited by Dr_Shenanigans (536 posts) - - Show Bio

@spareheadone: @jonjizz:

I assume you two do some martial arts, do you ever do any bare knuckle fighting? I don't use traditional western style boxing methods for the fact I don't usually fight with gloves.

In order to protect my hands I tend for shorter more rapid punches, I'll deliver a big finisher but by that time I'm just punching a dude who's already falling down.

#24 Posted by SeaGod (4741 posts) - - Show Bio

Palm strikes to the vitals is where it's at

#25 Posted by Dr_Shenanigans (536 posts) - - Show Bio

@seagod said:

Palm strikes to the vitals is where it's at

A palm strike anywhere is more devastating than a fist. A fist might hurt but a palm is gonna break something!

#26 Posted by jonjizz (1230 posts) - - Show Bio

@dr_shenanigans: nope, i love fight club but not that much lol

actually i did jeet kune do for like a year and used to spar with my friends, who also did other martial arts... other than that, just a few real fights the last of which was in highschool, so i'm no expert honestly... but from what i remember, protecting my hands was the least of my concerns, with the adrenaline and all

#27 Posted by LeeM724 (698 posts) - - Show Bio

@dr_shenanigans: Yeah a punch with the same hand twice works, Mike Tyson used to double up with a hook to the body and to the head with the same hand.

Manny Pacquiao does the same thing some times.

#28 Posted by Dr_Shenanigans (536 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonjizz said:

actually i did jeet kune do for like a year and used to spar with my friends, who also did other martial arts... other than that, just a few real fights the last of which was in highschool, so i'm no expert honestly... but from what i remember, protecting my hands was the least of my concerns, with the adrenaline and all

Well one sure doesn't want to flunk up one's hand but if it happens just go for broke & smash them with the bad hand.

#29 Posted by Dr_Shenanigans (536 posts) - - Show Bio

@leem724 said:

@dr_shenanigans: Yeah a punch with the same hand twice works, Mike Tyson used to double up with a hook to the body and to the head with the same hand.

Manny Pacquiao does the same thing some times.

I meant bare knuckle though, I'd have to use my Thompson punch if I had a glove on.

#30 Edited by jonjizz (1230 posts) - - Show Bio

@dr_shenanigans said:
@jonjizz said:

Well one sure doesn't want to flunk up one's hand but if it happens just go for broke & smash them with the bad hand.

lol seriously i'm not flexing or anything, but how do you break a hand punching someone? it's not like they're made of stone, i think it's very unlikely to happen unless you connect really bad

#31 Edited by Dr_Shenanigans (536 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonjizz said:
@dr_shenanigans said:
@jonjizz said:

lol seriously i'm not flexing or anything, but how do you break a hand punching someone? it's not like they're made of stone

Skulls are harder than hands!

Again, I don't wear gloves.

#32 Posted by Supermanthor (21739 posts) - - Show Bio

Interesting

#33 Posted by Kidolio (1153 posts) - - Show Bio

Imp= Infinite Mass Punch 🤨

#34 Edited by Dr_Shenanigans (536 posts) - - Show Bio

@kidolio said:

Imp= Infinite Mass Punch 🤨

Due to FFVIII & it's GF's boost ability I found I can vibrate my arm like jack hammer. Is that close?

#35 Posted by Kidolio (1153 posts) - - Show Bio
#36 Posted by jonjizz (1230 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonjizz said:
@dr_shenanigans said:
@jonjizz said:

lol seriously i'm not flexing or anything, but how do you break a hand punching someone? it's not like they're made of stone

yeah, i guess it was a stupid question

i think it's important to form a punch correctly if you want to avoid injury, also connecting with the right part, but as long as you do it properly, you could punch a wall as hard as you can if you want to

#37 Posted by Dr_Shenanigans (536 posts) - - Show Bio

@kidolio said:

@dr_shenanigans: are you flash? That’s pretty cool.

It hurts pretty bad & causes muscle cramps but yeah that's my Thompson punch.

#38 Posted by Dr_Shenanigans (536 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonjizz said:
@dr_shenanigans said:
@jonjizz said:
@dr_shenanigans said:
@jonjizz said:

yeah, i guess it was a stupid question

i think it's important to form a punch correctly if you want to avoid injury, also connecting with the right part, but as long as you do it properly, you could punch a wall as hard as you can if you want to

I only really like to throw punches while I'm latched onto someone, don't do the ground 'n pound at all because I was taught to avoid those kicks.

Being flat on your back is it no way a bad position, no mobility but it's a pretty great defensive position.

#39 Posted by SpareHeadOne (6609 posts) - - Show Bio

@dr_shenanigans:

I remember the the first few UFCs

Heaps of hands got broken or injured

#40 Edited by Dr_Shenanigans (536 posts) - - Show Bio

@spareheadone said:

@dr_shenanigans:

I remember the the first few UFCs

Heaps of hands got broken or injured

The good ol' days! What was the name of that guy who got blasted in the balls like 30 times maybe 20, it's been quite a while.

#41 Posted by SpareHeadOne (6609 posts) - - Show Bio

@dr_shenanigans:

I haven't watched it for 20 years.

But I do have a deformed right hand from punching someone in the head 4times so I know about the disadvantages of boxing bare fist.

#42 Posted by Dr_Shenanigans (536 posts) - - Show Bio

@dr_shenanigans:

I haven't watched it for 20 years.

But I do have a deformed right hand from punching someone in the head 4times so I know about the disadvantages of boxing bare fist.

Yeah that's gonna happen, the best have there hands mutilated & full of nodules but that's the price you pay to have crazy hard hands.

#43 Posted by LeeM724 (698 posts) - - Show Bio

@dr_shenanigans: ehhhhh....I guess the same combo could work with your bare hands, however you probably wouldn't want to sit on your punches as much as Tyson did

btw what's a Thompson punch?

#44 Edited by Mister_Stark (1532 posts) - - Show Bio

It's a pointless punch and wouldn't work in a real fight, 90% of these Bruce Lee/ Jackie chan movie fighting styles are non viable.

#45 Edited by Dr_Shenanigans (536 posts) - - Show Bio

@leem724 said:

@dr_shenanigans: ehhhhh....I guess the same combo could work with your bare hands, however you probably wouldn't want to sit on your punches as much as Tyson did

btw what's a Thompson punch?

It's nothing more than a rapid series of rights while I propel forward. I just named it after the Thompson Submachine Gun cuz I'm cheesy that way.

#46 Posted by ourmanuel (12308 posts) - - Show Bio

A complex move can almost never be effectively used in a real fight. In stressful situations you lose your fine motor skills, and there are too many factors. Basic strikes practiced over and over again is the best thing you can do.