Is Master Chief overrated?

• 83 results
Gambit474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Is Master Chief overrated? (132 votes)

Yes 50%
No 50%

I mean I see it said sometimes.."Master chief is the most overrated character" or that he's not but what do you think? Idk if I feel that he's overrated but I do see the halo fans who think he's unbeatable or god's gift to gaming

• 
AmazingAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, does not deserve the recognition he gets, boring design and a boring character to boot.

Vortex1456789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think Chief is overrated as a character, but his fanboys tend to think in-game mechanics are canon. Such as, oh I don't know, flipping a Scorpion tank effortlessly. The creators said its a mechanic to make the game fun, and if you read the books it puts the Chief in (if I remember correctly) the 2 ton-ish range.

Other than that its hard for people to see him as a great protagonist if they have only played the games. His flat voice and one-liners make him seem like a bad 80s macho action hero. A lot of his character development and personality comes through in the outside media, the Halo books and movies.

Actually, he's about 2-3 ton range without his armor and with it 10 maybe 15 tom.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

@vortex14: He's 5-6 with his armor 9 as they have flipped Warthogs in the novels, I've never seen anything in the novels indicating 10-15...

@yourneighborhoodcomicgeek is just about the most knowledgeable Chief expert I know. He'd know better than anyone else I'd wager.

Vortex1456789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think he can flip tanks, he about a 10 ton range and he could become stronger if he gets upgraded by Forerunners. By the way, check out this stoory and tell me what you think.

Justice League: Spartan Alliance

Vortex1456789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The exo suit the trainers used could lift about two tons and the Master Chief and other Spartans defeated them as children. His power only grows as he gets older, and with the armor it increases. Yes, ComicGeek has said MC can lift ten tons.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gambit474: he was doing fine before he even met her.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If anything I would say that he is very under rated by people that haven't read the books. It's like they think he's an idiot in a suit without cortana

Vortex1456789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If anything I would say that he is very under rated by people that haven't read the books. It's like they think he's an idiot in a suit without cortana

Are you a Halo fan ? If so, You'll probably like this.

Justice League: Spartan Alliance

Gambit474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Except for the fact that the Didact would've killed him had Cortana not been there

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#60 frozen  Moderator

He clearly isn't overrated. Anyone who thinks he is, from a battles perspective needs to read the books and comics.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrtummytumms said:

Except for the fact that the Didact would've killed him had Cortana not been there

What I mean is that he isn't overly reliant on her. Before they even met, he was doing great leading his team through many different missions.

Gambit474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:

He clearly isn't overrated. Anyone who thinks he is, from a battles perspective needs to read the books and comics.

He's overrated in the fact that some of his fans treat him as if he's God's gift to video gaming. The worst is when he is involved in character battles and you have the MC fan that spouts off about what MC can do yet knows little to nothing about what his opponent is capable of. I saw a MC fan try to say MC could beat Spawn once. I rest my case

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 frozen  Moderator

@frozen said:

He's overrated in the fact that some of his fans treat him as if he's God's gift to video gaming. The worst is when he is involved in character battles and you have the MC fan that spouts off about what MC can do yet knows little to nothing about what his opponent is capable of. I saw a MC fan try to say MC could beat Spawn once. I rest my case

Read the books and comics. His expanded canon feats come from there.

I rest my case.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All characters get overrated at some point. This is like asking if Batman is overrated, or the Silver Surfer.

thedailybagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 thedailybagel  Moderator  Online

People who haven't read the books think he's overrated.

Gambit474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:

@gambit474 said:

@frozen said:

Read the books and comics. His expanded canon feats come from there.

I rest my case.

Reading his books and comics isn't going to change anything. Reading his books isn't going to change what I just said bud. Hard for you to rest your case when you never had one

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@gambit474: My case is more logical. Your case harps onto minority fans wanking the character; mainstream Marvel and DC characters can get wanked more.

Gambit474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:

@gambit474: My case is more logical. Your case harps onto minority fans wanking the character; mainstream Marvel and DC characters can get wanked more.

You have no logic. I said MC fans treat him like God's gift to gaming and sport ignorance when trying to bring up what he is capable of while ignoring what his opposition can do and you bring up reading his books and comics. You have no case and are trying to make a poor comparison of him to comic book characters. Marvel and DC's characters are not relevant in this because they have nothing to do with my topic.

GorrThor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How?

LeeM724

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chief is correctly rated. I do hate how most Halo fans refuse to have him as an actual character though. So many people were pissed that Chief actually started to show emotions in Halo 4. They want him to remain an empty, emotionless suit which honestly just sucks in a narrative context.

Avatar image for eternaldarkfury
EternalDarkFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dont think so.

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I quite like the cooking side of it but the do drag out the judging for way too long

Warlockmage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 3

as character he is for sure overrated... hes a pretty boring protagonist, not exactly unique either, but hes acceptable. The only reason hes so highly ranked is because Halo is popular.

BatmanPlusJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Master Chief is the one and only fictional character Batman can't beat with prep time.

Wut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh? Overrated compared to.. what?

as character he is for sure overrated... hes a pretty boring protagonist, not exactly unique either, but hes acceptable. The only reason hes so highly ranked is because Halo is popular.

That is a purposeful design. By making him bland and 'faceless' it allows you, the player, to 'imprint' yourself onto it. To put your face over his. To better let you immerse yourself into the setting. Its a very common thing that is done in all forms of media.

Warlockmage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 3

@wut said:

@warlockmage said:

That is a purposeful design. By making him bland and 'faceless' it allows you, the player, to 'imprint' yourself onto it. To put your face over his. To better let you immerse yourself into the setting. Its a very common thing that is done in all forms of media.

it can be purposeful and still be mediocre... that imprinting thing is bullshit, they made John his own character throughout the games...

it can be common and still be mediocre

nothing you said makes it better, you are asking me to accept mediocrity like its good and its not. Doomslayer is good... Master Chief is mediocre

Avatar image for deactivated-5d5789e65ebaa
deactivated-5d5789e65ebaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

how is he overrated?

Wut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Wut

@warlockmage: No, it's not bullshit, that was how he was designed. It was only 4 and 5 where they started to give him personality. So are you whining about him being bland and whining about them giving him personality? Damned if they do, damned if they don't, I suppose.

EDIT: Figured I'd edit this before I get another post of you flailing wildly at me to tell me how much you hate the character.. This thread isn't about rather or not you like him. This is about 'is he overrated' in that normal lazy CV way of writing OPs that doesn't actually ask a relevant, full question but is just short enough to hold attention.

So, what is he being rated against? What category are we looking at him in? Because, now stay with me here, to be overrated, one must be rated against something.

So... Is he the BEST CHARACTER IN ALL FICTION! ... No. Anyone who believes that is vastly overrated him.

Is he one of the best video game protagonist? I'd say not and anyone who believes that is overrating him.

Is he one of the best FPS video game protagonist? Absolutely. 'But Muh DOOMGUY!' Yes, Doomguy, specifically, the Doomguy [2016] is, imo, the perfect FPS protagonist. But do you know who isn't? The Original Doomguy. Or nearly all FPS protagonist in gaming history. Don't believe me? Try to remember Call of Duty Protagonist 1-415123... Or how about the various battlefield protagonist... No? That is.. odd. How about Resistance? Tell me about how great Nathan Hale was.. Oh, you probably either didn't play that or he didn't stand out all that much compared to the setting... Well.. how about the various Tom Clancy first person shooter protagonist?.. No? Well.. how odd. You know which first person guy really had a personality you remembered from the past? Duke Nukem. Yeah, let that one sink in for awhile. If, at this moment, the joke about a screen with a gun being the FPS protagonist in Wreck-It Ralph just now made sense to you, you have earned a cookie.

This is because Master Chief is a great first person shooter protagonist and has influenced all the good ones that would come after him [Such as 2016 Doomguy, the current pinnacle, but remember that... he came out in 2016, he, as the saying goes, stands on the shoulders of giants, seriously, go back to the old doomguy and tell me his personality without referencing the comics]. Master Chief inspired a lot of FPS protagonist that would come after him. Is he the best? I'd say not anymore. He is still among the best? Yes. I don't even like Master Chief anymore, the Halo Fanboys I've run into over the years have soured me on him, however, I'm not going to deny it just cause I don't like him.

Ergo, this thread is as poorly thought out as most on CV and when someone says 'Is character X overrated?' the first question, and only question, should be 'Overrated in what regard?'

Avatar image for deactivated-6025c60aa67c8
deactivated-6025c60aa67c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

yes

Stormdriven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Overrated how? I’m biased because he’s one of my favorite fictional characters, but he tends to get rated very highly because HE IS a capable character and he’s the protagonist of one of the most successful and popular video game franchises around. A lot of people (myself included, for the most part) like the silent, stoic badasses. So depending on what metric we’re rating him on, he very well could or could not be overrated.

OrangeVegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5fd8682836c93
deactivated-5fd8682836c93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers