Is Liam Neeson racist?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Risk0608

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Nope not according to me, but go ahead and share your thoughts

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes he is a racist and a holocaust denier.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By adamTRMM

He didn't seem to be one in Widows.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#4 SC  Moderator

Ehh... depends. I think racism is a complicated and important subject, I personally don't like to accuse people of it, I'd rather talk about it, openly and honestly. So Liam Neeson came out and said he wasn't racist. Based on what I have heard of him talking about the subject, his youth, his experiences within the UK, The Troubles, how distinguishes between Catholics, Protestants, Scottish, Irish etc and how views around racism in context of Nazi's and Jews... I don't he is racist no. His definition would probably parallel what some would consider overt racism, traditional racism. The conscious and ongoing attitude that some races are superior, and conscious choices and decisions that reflect those beliefs and views.

Do I think racism is more complicated than that? Yes, definitely, but I am a child of the internet, I have easy access to a ton of papers, studies, science articles that go into depth on such subjects and related subjects. The type that give more context to history and human behavior. More insight. So it wouldn't surprise me if Liam Neeson wasn't up to date on such ideas. As far as I know, he never studies such subjects in any depth, its not uncommon for people his age, to have such nuanced views, to such an extent. He lived a life that probably made him somewhat wise to regular types of racism, in practical terms. Which can be different from the more analytical types to do with subtle human behavior and motivations. Unconscious biases etc Think implicit or aversive racism.

So I do think he may have held and still might hold some implicit or aversive racial biases, (a lot of people do) that could constitute calling him a racist, so I understand those that do. I'd be hesitant to though, because of above context. He seems ashamed of his past attitude and that feeling he had, and he affirms this is how some people do think, and its a problem, and how flawed it is, and I'd really prefer if people, considered that. I think there are a lot more people out there with implicit and aversive racist attitudes and unconscious biases, who feel personally attacked when they are accused of being racist, because they think of it differently, and more akin to traditional racism. I can sympathize with that, especially if they try their best to be decent and good people. At the same time, actual people have been, and will be killed by similar reasoning in "heated and passionate" moments. Liam Neeson emphasized, he was super fortunate he never actually committed to his mental and emotional state with an act of violence and murder... thats not always the case though, and when that element is undermined, dismissed or otherwise diminished, by excuses and apologetics... its also easy to understand why people get pissed off.

HellionVulcan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

No, he let his emotions drive him towards violence due to his friend being raped.

WollfMyth209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Nah, not really.

removekebab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Racism is a spook.

Jooosh1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Nope

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

Assuming this story is even true, we know that he was at one point. Cant really feel now.

Avatar image for theoneabovelife
TheOneAboveLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, he let his emotions drive him towards violence due to his friend being raped.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don’t know him personally, so I can’t say for certain. However given the situation he was angry, said some things and had bad intentions he didn’t act on (as far as I know). I’m gonna go out on a limb and say just about everyone has been in that situation, we all get upset and say things we don’t mean and/or have no intentions to act on in the spur of the moment, because we are not thinking rationally. I’m not going to say I’m mad at him or call him a bad person because I don’t know him personally and I don’t know if he’s changed since he’s originally made these comments or intentions to act on them, as well as I know I’ve said things in the past out of anger I didn’t mean, I said them because I was angry and being stupid...however I am disappointed to find out this news about him.

ourmanuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can’t say about the current Liam Neeson.

But from what he said, we can assume that he had racist biases back then.