• 67 results
Avatar image for darkdementor101
#1 Posted by DarkDementor101 (631 posts) - - Show Bio

I do not know why, and I am probably just imagining this, but have their been more alt accounts lately, or is this an issue pertaining only to a certain genre of threads?

I'm not going to lie when I say that I am not a comic book fan, and that the only main source of media by which I hear or understand any of these comic book characters comes from the live action movies, shows, games, and a few animated cartoons. However, with the current popularity of CBM's there have been more live action threads for shows and movies popping up, and those threads tend to get pretty inflamed! Inflamed in the sense that the people "arguing" or "debating" on either side just end up insulting each other. Whenever I go onto any of these threads I often see a good number of posters with a relatively low number of posts, and they tend to be the ones that are causing the most mayhem. Regardless of which side they are debating from/for, they all seem to have the same type of responses and attitudes towards the other posters!

So is it safe to say that the increasing popularity of CBM's has bred the creation of a toxic fan base, or has this always been an issue that has been pertaining to comic vine?

Increasing Popularity of CBM's ∝ Increasing number of CBM toxic fan base
Increasing Popularity of CBM's ∝ Increasing number of CBM threads
Increasing number of CBM threads & Fan Base ∝ more banned accounts ∝ more alt accounts being made

Would this be accurate?

#2 Posted by BumpyBoo (14803 posts) - - Show Bio

Flame wars, alts, and using said alts to either RP or argue with yourself in public like some kind of weirdo, is as much an established Comic Vine tradition as spam bots and notification glitches. Nothing new :)

#3 Posted by kgb725 (19582 posts) - - Show Bio

It's been here awhile

#4 Posted by WolfCub77 (67 posts) - - Show Bio

Wouldn't have created an alt if my ban had been justified.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cdc9a3e08b98
#5 Posted by deactivated-5cdc9a3e08b98 (153 posts) - - Show Bio

I uhh gotta go

#6 Posted by The_Kidd (12349 posts) - - Show Bio

Bring back the Giest era.

#7 Posted by Supermanthor (21824 posts) - - Show Bio

Spoiler has anyone notice the circle jerking in every WW threads ?

#8 Posted by finalbeta (184 posts) - - Show Bio

Alt accounts are indeed a problem on this site xd unless lots of caution is taken

#9 Posted by Cramem (260 posts) - - Show Bio

Spoiler has anyone notice the circle jerking in every WW threads ?

Most of them are Mashitar's alts.

#10 Posted by Supermanthor (21824 posts) - - Show Bio

@cramem: yeah he always do that

Lol seriously πŸ˜‚

#11 Posted by Wilkiins17 (510 posts) - - Show Bio

interesting.

#12 Posted by Lan_Fan (16248 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, definitely. Sadly, most of the times, it usually takes months or even more than a year for the mods to find out which accounts are illegal alts. The aggressive ones like Ta-Er are easy to find, but there are a lot of toxic users with less 3000 posts acting all knowing, and being passive aggressive without technically breaking the rules. For some reason, the mods usually refuse to even look into these accounts, even though it's clearly unnatural for a newbie to act that way.

#13 Edited by Dr_Shenanigans (536 posts) - - Show Bio
@bumpyboo said:

Flame wars, alts, and using said alts to either RP or argue with yourself in public like some kind of weirdo, is as much an established Comic Vine tradition as spam bots and notification glitches. Nothing new :)

What sort of madman would get into a flame war with himself? Certainly not this madman!

#14 Posted by Kirkseven (3163 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes it is

#15 Posted by jagernutt (17334 posts) - - Show Bio

@bumpyboo said:

What sort of madman would get into a flame war with himself? Certainly not this madman!

I've done that.

Avatar image for thebestofthebest
#16 Posted by ThEBeStOfTheBeST (12149 posts) - - Show Bio

MinlerDemon is the king of alts.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd557c2a2e55
#17 Posted by deactivated-5cd557c2a2e55 (16 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope havent noticed it myself.

Avatar image for darkdementor101
#18 Posted by DarkDementor101 (631 posts) - - Show Bio
@bumpyboo said:

Have people actually done that?! If you have the links to any of those types of threads please do send them. Would be entertaining to say the least!

#19 Posted by ANTHP2000 (28819 posts) - - Show Bio

Sure, ask KoL and Riddlerfan77.

#20 Posted by BumpyBoo (14803 posts) - - Show Bio

@lan_fan said:

Yes, definitely. Sadly, most of the times, it usually takes months or even more than a year for the mods to find out which accounts are illegal alts. The aggressive ones like Ta-Er are easy to find, but there are a lot of toxic users with less 3000 posts acting all knowing, and being passive aggressive without technically breaking the rules. For some reason, the mods usually refuse to even look into these accounts, even though it's clearly unnatural for a newbie to act that way.

Lot of this rings true tbf, in terms of it being difficult - sometimes stupidly difficult - to get rid of users who know how to toe the line without technically breaking the rules. We do what we can in terms of being able to identify alts, but of course there are readily available workarounds out there so it isn't foolproof. Plus we are nowhere near the highest authority on the site, we have the staff and the people who actually own the site to please, too. And that puts you in a bit of a delicate position sometimes, because to ban someone we have to be able to back everything up and justify it all, and even the strongest hunch can be wrong sometimes. There are times when you know - like you KNOW - that a user is someone you have dealt with before even if you don't always know who they used to be. So from the point of view of wanting the site to be as enjoyable as it can be for as many people as possible, that can really suck tbh.

All of this just meant for context, of course :)

@dr_shenanigans said:
@bumpyboo said:

I've done that.

Not even surprised XD

@bumpyboo said:

Have people actually done that?! If you have the links to any of those types of threads please do send them. Would be entertaining to say the least!

They really do. I won't link, as I don't really like "outing" people for alts. Let people have their weirdness, you know? ;) But you can spot them after a while, especially with the more prolific posters, because you get used to how they speak (well, write).

#21 Posted by Magian (152132 posts) - - Show Bio

This has been going on ever since CV was created.

#22 Posted by SpareHeadOne (6635 posts) - - Show Bio

I keep the same username and simply alt my personality

#23 Posted by Dr_Shenanigans (536 posts) - - Show Bio

@dr_shenanigans said:
@bumpyboo said:

I've done that.

I suspect an alarming number of us have.

#24 Posted by BumpyBoo (14803 posts) - - Show Bio

@jagernutt said:
@dr_shenanigans said:
@bumpyboo said:

I've done that.

You'd be right.

#25 Edited by Cramem (260 posts) - - Show Bio

Alts of Ysmir are easy to spot. Whenever he sees a dragonborn thread he becomes agressive and start insulting anybody who disagree with him or don't w**k the dragonborn enough.

#26 Posted by Dr_Shenanigans (536 posts) - - Show Bio

@bumpyboo said:
@dr_shenanigans said:
@jagernutt said:
@dr_shenanigans said:
@bumpyboo said:

I've done that.

You'd be right.

It get's so dull around here sometimes that people start talking to themselves!

#27 Edited by Dernman (26111 posts) - - Show Bio

@bumpyboo said:

argue with yourself in public like some kind of weird

ok I've never done that buuuuuut..............<__< >__>

I've been tempted a couple times. Not to cause trouble but for comedic value. I've only gone so far as done it on the same account and post without fully assuming two identities from different accounts. Laziness has prevented me from doing it. What can I say I'm a weirdo but I'm ok with that. XD

#28 Posted by BumpyBoo (14803 posts) - - Show Bio

@dernman said:
@bumpyboo said:

argue with yourself in public like some kind of weird

ok I've never done that buuuuuut..............<__< >__>

I've been tempted a couple times. Not to cause trouble but for comedic value. I've only gone so far as done it on the same account, post without fully assuming two identities. Laziness has prevented me from doing it. What can I say I'm a weirdo but I'm ok with that. XD

Nothing wrong with being a weirdo ;)

I've never done it deliberately, but I have forgotten which account I am logged in with before now, and replied to someone with an account other than the one they were talking to O_o

#29 Posted by Omnipotent94 (1523 posts) - - Show Bio

Waxsureya, goodafternoon, openthedoor, hunterslayer and atleas 3 more accounts I can't remember the name of belong to just one guy. He posts dumb gif, makes dumb and usually spite battles and agrees with himself using alt accounts. Also he doesn't know English. Even mods are doing nothing about him.

#30 Posted by Lan_Fan (16248 posts) - - Show Bio

@omnipotent94: Those accounts are already banned, but he keeps making new ones.

#31 Posted by Omnipotent94 (1523 posts) - - Show Bio

@lan_fan: then they should ban his ip. He is probably the biggest troll on this site (rivalled only by helloman)

#32 Posted by Straight-Fire (27379 posts) - - Show Bio

Like, have you been living under a rock?

#33 Posted by MainJP (6553 posts) - - Show Bio

@omnipotent94: I don’t like how he tags users in his incoherent posts. He needs an actual hobby.

#34 Posted by BatmanPlusJay (4588 posts) - - Show Bio

@omnipotent94: Helloman isn't a troll. Idk why people say he is. Dude just says random shit.

#35 Posted by Lan_Fan (16248 posts) - - Show Bio
#36 Edited by Omnipotent94 (1523 posts) - - Show Bio

@mainjp said:

@omnipotent94: I don’t like how he tags users in his incoherent posts. He needs an actual hobby.

Yep. Agreed

@omnipotent94: Helloman isn't a troll. Idk why people say he is. Dude just says random shit.

I know. He is not annoying unlike the other guy. He doesn't even post more than one in the same post. But he does bait sometimes saying stuff like "The person above me is a troll".

#37 Posted by Omnipotent94 (1523 posts) - - Show Bio

@lan_fan said:

@omnipotent94: I'm convinced that mods can't ban our IP.

Really? So they just wrote that in the rules to scare us?

#38 Edited by Galactic_1000 (5851 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel like I am a loser All these years I still haven't created an alt.

#39 Posted by Lan_Fan (16248 posts) - - Show Bio

@omnipotent94: Well, if they could do that, people like NoHate, Omnipotenten, Ta-Er, Pr0d1gy should not be able to create alts so easily.

#40 Posted by Fabricolage (2029 posts) - - Show Bio

I keep the same username and simply alt my personality

@lan_fan said:

No Caption Provided

#41 Edited by BatmanPlusJay (4588 posts) - - Show Bio

@lan_fan: They go to their nearest library and make accounts there from different computers. Masterminds.

#42 Edited by Lan_Fan (16248 posts) - - Show Bio

@batmanplusjay: Really? To that extent? NoHate has created hundreds of alt, I'm pretty sure it was a easy for him. Pr0's alts are actually very active until they're banned, so he must be able to access them easily at all time. Same case with GoodAfternoon.

I'm pretty sure the IP system doesn't even work that way, once the IP in that library is banned, then it's done from that library.

I've seen these trolls saying β€”"Hah, you can ban me, but I can create 3 email accounts in 1 second, so I'll be back."β€” So yeah, I'm pretty sure they didn't need to even shift their IP.

#43 Posted by BatmanPlusJay (4588 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for the_living_tribunal_24
#44 Posted by The_living_tribunal_24 (6689 posts) - - Show Bio
#45 Posted by Omnipotent94 (1523 posts) - - Show Bio

@lan_fan said:

@omnipotent94: Well, if they could do that, people like NoHate, Omnipotenten, Ta-Er, Pr0d1gy should not be able to create alts so easily.

I don't know who that is but it really explains why some people thought I was an alt when I first joined.

#46 Posted by Lan_Fan (16248 posts) - - Show Bio

@omnipotent94: He used to spam Battle Forum with Naruto hentai. Creating clickbait threads to get people clicking, and bam! Hentai.

#47 Posted by Omnipotent94 (1523 posts) - - Show Bio

@lan_fan said:

@omnipotent94: He used to spam Battle Forum with Naruto hentai. Creating clickbait threads to get people clicking, and bam! Hentai.

Lmao. Some people really are jobless.

#48 Posted by ourmanuel (12318 posts) - - Show Bio

@lan_fan:

Fun fact: omipotenten is gear4god

#49 Posted by Lan_Fan (16248 posts) - - Show Bio
#50 Posted by DerbyCityRose (81 posts) - - Show Bio

There have been people with alts since the beginning of comic vine.