Is it selfish of me to request to be taken off a shift? (context in the OP)

The_Gaurdian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By The_Gaurdian

I work as a security guard for UPS where I just sit in a booth and check bags to make sure none of the drivers and warehouse staff steal anything. It's pretty easy, possibly the easiest job in the world but it has a major downside like every job does. Every weekend for the past month my manager and I have taken turns working 3rd shift on Saturday's. The building is closed so for 8 hours it's just me, myself and I. I do perimeter checks on the warehouse doors every hour and a half and usually just use the time to get homework done. There's little to no crime but the environment is generally creepy, especially at night time. The bad part is that not only am I by myself in the event of an emergency, there's ZERO access to the bathrooms of the building I guard. There's a gas station right down the street from us that we're permitted to go to but I don't have a car so I'd have to walk 15 minutes there and back or pay an Uber if the weather's bad. When I reluctantly agreed I voiced my concerns to my supervisors multiple times. They just brushed it off and instead of telling me what the access code is to the building since it's just me they basically told me without saying it directly "sounds like a you problem" There's technically supposed to be 2 guards on this shift but due to cutbacks on hours and their own laziness they've just stuck me here with no intention of making it any better. I'll be texting my manager sometime tomorrow to tell him I'd like to not work this shift anymore but part of me feels guilty for not toughing it out but I'm fed up that they put me on this shift knowing how I feel about it. Any advice for how to go about this would be appreciated here.

Alavanka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Alavanka

Bring a few bottles and make some lemonade for your boss.

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SpareHeadOne

Piss in a bucket

tethadam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can they buy a portapotty and place it somewhere near your post?

Also I would love an easy Job like that.

PatriotBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean, that kinda blows...but yeah you're being a wuss.

The_Gaurdian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tethadam: they've been asking longer than I've been here but still no luck. Also security gigs are real easy as long as you've got good temperament and don't scare too easy

The_Gaurdian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@renny: I finally told him just yesterday and he told me that they're "looking" into getting a second person and possibly a replacement but I'm gonna be doing my best to make sure he understands that my willingness to go along with shifts like this only goes for so long

The_Gaurdian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By The_Gaurdian

@patriotbear: I already work with my two biggest fears (being alone and in the dark) I just want a bathroom thats close to me!

SeaGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe a tempt fix to get to a bathroom quicker is bring a bike,skates,skateboard, or some other type of transportation that isn't a car.

tjd2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If its policy to have two guards and you’re the only ons then you are accomodating them. They in turn should accomodate you! Plus you’d be leaving the area you’re guarding unattended for 30 some minutes! It doesnt make much sense to keep doing things that way. I get the whole if it aint broke but all it takes is one mishap and then its either your fault or your misfortune. Definitely voice your concerns or get off that shift if you can.