Is it Ok? (What men can do)

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Lynx- Or Axe to you Yanks, showed a new U.K based advert fairly recently challenging stereotypes among young males. I welcomed it as fresh gasp of air considering the usual type of "spray this and have a million women desire to tear the flesh from your bones" fair, but others derided this a pointless virtue signalling that really wasn't pushing the boat out considering what spread by popular culture and media today.

Given recent threads it reminded me to post this, so excuse the less than extensive background and any mistakes :)

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By dernman

It's not a simple answer of one or the other.

mimisalome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By mimisalome

@laflux:

Social norms are created to established social orders with the intention of creating a stable society in terms of security, productivity, interactions, and development.

So there are some practical value and benefits behind the societies demand for conformity.

Is it okay to be yourself?

Well that depends on how beneficial or detrimental or benign your aspired individuality's effects on society.

removekebab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can relate to shaving. Body hair is disgusting.

>is it okay to experiment with other guys

Just remember to say no homo.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Bump

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty refreshing to see an ad about something like this. In fact, it's so refreshing that it just seems weird and alien. You never see stuff like this. It feels kinda nice.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"It is okay for guys to be depressed?"

No, I actually think it's not. But the others, sure, if you want to wear pink or have a cat, knock yourself out.

GIliad_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

If you're not hurting anyone or telling me what to do then yes it's okay

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MetalJimmor

This was pretty nice actually. We hear a lot about how society forces certain gender roles on women and how pop culture negatively effects women's self esteem, but nobody seems to want to talk about how it effects the boys. For me personally, the "Is it okay to be skinny and not like sports?" ones really hit home, having grown up as a skinny nerd in a neighborhood with a lot of athletic people. I always felt like I was doing the whole "Be a man" thing wrong, to say nothing of how much society encourages young boys to suppress our healthy emotions so that we don't come off as "weak" or give in to our negative, more violent emotions to appear masculine.

MainJP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great ad. Never personally seen anyone have a problem with guys wearing pink shirts or having long hair, though. People can be ridiculous.