Is it just me, or is it ridiculous that universities ask alumni for donations?

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Is it just me, or is it ridiculous that universities ask alumni for donations? (25 votes)

Yes, it's ridiculous 52%
No, it's not 40%
Results 8%

Universities already charge tens of thousands of dollars for tuition, which drives a lot of students into huge debt (I'm incredibly thankful that I have both a scholarship and parents with disposable income), why does it make sense for them to ask for more?

Imagine how stupid this would sound if anyone but a university did this. Imagine if I go out to a restaurant, and the next day the manager calls me and says "Hello sir, did you enjoy your meal? If yes, would you mind giving us even more money than you already did when you paid your bill?"

So, those are my two cents. Do you agree with me, or do you think otherwise?

• 
Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's ridiculous that you find it ridiculous.

Avatar image for deactivated-614ce5c370323
deactivated-614ce5c370323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends I guess. If the person in question became fairly successful in their field and no longer has the debt(assuming they even have one in the first place) then I guess it doesn't hurt to ask a donation from them to show that a former student became successful enough to even consider donating to an organization that must have cost them a lot. On the other hand, if that person's degree ended up being useless and they're saddled with debt then I would probably avoid them. Of course, universities might not even bother looking into what they're lives are like afterwards so meh.

I'm not educated on the subject so forgive me.

JakeFuryV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

Not surprising at all.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mrmonster

@icedemonking said:

Depends I guess. If the person in question became fairly successful in their field and no longer has the debt(assuming they even have one in the first place) then I guess it doesn't hurt to ask a donation from them to show that a former student became successful enough to even consider donating to an organization that must have cost them a lot. On the other hand, if that person's degree ended up being useless and they're saddled with debt then I would probably avoid them. Of course, universities might not even bother looking into what they're lives are like afterwards so meh.

They do not. They call any and all graduates they can, they never check how to see how far along you are in life or how much debt you still have to pay.

Avatar image for the_living_tribunal_24
The_living_tribunal_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They just took 30k pounds(minimum) from you not even counting extra years and accommodation. I wouldn't want to hear from them again.

Avatar image for deactivated-614ce5c370323
deactivated-614ce5c370323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@icedemonking said:

They do not. They call any and all graduates they can, they never check how to see how far along you are in life or how much debt you still have to pay.

Oh, well forget what I said. Sorry.

Stefano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Universities should be free to ask for donations given that the alumni students are not obligated to donate.

Avatar image for deactivated-64969837cbeff
deactivated-64969837cbeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is nothing wrong with the universities asking for donations because some alumni are willing to donate in support of their former college or university. What matters the most is that alumni are not required to.

Shinne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Just say no.

Avatar image for deactivated-5da8e253e9df8
deactivated-5da8e253e9df8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shut them all down

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MarvelandDCfan24

No some people get really tired to their universities and colleges and they end up rich and it becomes a tax right off anyway

Avatar image for deactivated-5bc2c7b81b701
deactivated-5bc2c7b81b701

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All they have to do is say no?

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it's optional not mandatory.

mimisalome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mimisalome

I think its ethically inapproriate for the any Universities to ask for donations (both public and private) as they either are supposed to be considered as public service and already received taxpayers money in the first place (thereby any donation could be viewed as bribery)...

or they are proft oriented organization/business and its pretty awkward for them to ask for donations considering they themselves don't easily tolerate any form of soliciations.

Universities accepting donations (that were not asked) are acceptable in my opinion, but it could still lead to corruption and inappropreation.

I think it is okay for student oriented programs organized by students themselves (like fraternities, sororities, academic organizations, clubs) to ask donation from their alumini members

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I saw a university on the street corner rattling a can.

"Poor bugger" I thought, and I drew closer to give him some money. But as I was about to drop my money in his tin. I smelt expensive cologne and clean smelling clothes.

Suspicious, I reached out and wiped my hand over his filthy face. It wasn't dirt! It was makeup!

Then I spied his wallet in his jacket and I swiped it and looked inside. Hundred dollar bills, eleven of them!

"Mr university sir" I said "you won't be getting my three dollars and kindly please stop calling me Allan Nye, my name is SpareHeadOne"

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

You're comparision to reataurants is funny, because what do you think a tip is.

FromBeyond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think its ethically inapproriate for the any Universities to ask for donations (both public and private) as they either are supposed to be considered as public service and already received taxpayers money in the first place (thereby any donation could be viewed as bribery)...

or they are proft oriented organization/business and its pretty awkward for them to ask for donations considering they themselves don't easily tolerate any form of soliciations.

Universities accepting donations (that were not asked) are acceptable in my opinion, but it could still lead to corruption and inappropreation.

I think it is okay for student oriented programs organized by students themselves (like fraternities, sororities, academic organizations, clubs) to ask donation from their alumini members

QFT.

JakeFuryV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

: Do you tip at restaurants? Just asking because you mentioned them as well.

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought tipping was for the poor bastards who get meagre wages from the restaurant owners who employ them.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You're comparision to reataurants is funny, because what do you think a tip is.

For the record I believe we should get rid of tipping and just pay employees minimum wage. I've always found it strange that we the costumers have to pay for someone else's wages, not their boss.

But anyway, I fail to see how a bus boy asking for a tip is the same as a university who I already paid tens of thousands of dollars to calling me to ask for even more.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

: Do you tip at restaurants? Just asking because you mentioned them as well.

Yes, I do. In this country, our wait staff get paid almost nothing, if you don't tip them they hardly make anything, which to me is absurd. Restaurant work is the only job where costumers pay you most of your salary, not your boss.

But anyway, I fail to see that stahlflame's point. How is a waitress (who would hardly make any money otherwise) asking for a tip the same as a university who already accepted tens of thousands of dollars from me calling me to ask for even more?

JakeFuryV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrmonster: same way here pretty much. They might make $2.00 an hour but otherwise are dependent on tips

JakeFuryV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We also have the fraternal order of police constantly calling for donations ?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spareheadone: They are, which is why I think the comparison makes no sense.

Avatar image for universeichigo1
universeichigo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nerise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers