Is Happiness really a choice?

MoneyyJunee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Is Happiness really a choice? (23 votes)

Yes 22%
Depends 39%
No 39%

You guys have your opinions

• 
dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Happiness is a state of being. Many things have an affect on it. Sometimes choices and sometimes not.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. I believe that, in most cases, happiness is a choice. I believe that most of the unhappiness in the world comes from choosing not to be find satisfaction in the way things are, instead choosing to fantasize about the way things that could be.

One of the greatest proofs of this, imo, comes from Nick Vujic, an Autralian man born with no arms and no legs.

Loading Video...

If happiness were through circumstance, then there is no way he'd be happy. But he isn't, he chooses to be happy with his life. If a man who has never known limbs can choose to be happy, then I don't why others can't. If there are exceptions, they're just that, the exceptions, definitely not the rule.

Aka_aka_aka_ak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. I believe that, in most cases, happiness is a choice. I believe that most of the unhappiness in the world comes from choosing not to be find satisfaction in the way things are, instead choosing to fantasize about the way things that could be.

One of the greatest proofs of this, imo, comes from Nick Vujic, an Autralian man born with no arms and no legs.

If happiness were through circumstance, then there is no way he'd be happy. But he isn't, he chooses to be happy with his life. If a man who has never known limbs can choose to be happy, then I don't why others can't. If there are exceptions, they're just that, the exceptions, definitely not the rule.

Sorry but this comment is asinine.

At best you are attempting to show that it's not circumstantial, but your own perception of your circumstances, which is still out of your control. Nick Vujic is not a "proof" of anything you're claiming and if that's one of the greatest proofs you have then your position is undefendable.

You're answering a totally different question; being happy in poor circumstances doesn't even touch upon the question of whether or not choice is involved. He's happy in poor circumstances, but I seriously don't understand this massive leap you've made of asserting that's due to his choice.

There's so much more wrong with what you've said. Firstly, I can't be sure, but I bet he'd not as happy as he appears, there's is almost certainly days where it really gets him down and I'd bet he'd do anything for just one limb. Secondly, it's all relative. He has never known differently; I'd wager you wouldn't be as happy if I chopped your arms and legs off.

Implicit in your comment is essentially the statement that depression and other mental health illnesses don't exist; that if you're depressed it's because you're choosing it.

Your comment may be one of the most blood-boilingly ignorant comments I've ever seen online and that's saying something.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aka_aka_aka_ak: So, basically your argument boils down to "it's not circumstantial, but it's also not choice." Then what is it, there's little else it could be.

And I did point out that there are exceptions, you'd have known that if you actually read my post. Obviously there is such a thing as mental illness (hence, the exceptions) but I would have to serious doubt the majority of the world's unhappiness (or even a large portion) comes from mental illness. I do believe that most of it is from people's lack of satisfaction with their lives (which is 100% a choice).

Please don't respond again unless you actually take the time to read this, believe me, it'll show.

BatmanPlusJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends. People can choose to wanna be happy, but it doesn't mean it'll happen. People can choose to be miserable, and they could very well just be miserable.

NiteLite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NiteLite

^^

Thekillerklok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a chemical state of the brain.

Quinlan58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looking for happiness is a choice. That does not mean one can choose to feel happiness. That's absurd.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e5b16d537c03
deactivated-5e5b16d537c03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, happiness can be a choice. There is a book called "The Geography of Bliss," by Eric Weiner, whom travels to various countries to find out what makes people happy. It's fairly comical in some parts, but very enjoyable.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d5d8c614fa9a
deactivated-5d5d8c614fa9a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are you happy?

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By dshipp17

Sure, happiness can be a choice. The key to happiness is in Christianity and choosing to adapt to your situation; I believe it comes more naturally to some than others; this is a gift similar to an intellectual gift; I thank God that I have this gift plus intellectual gifts.

In my case, it starts with something like a wondering mind; in my worse situation, I just start by accepting that there's nothing that I can do, trying to rebut, and trying to come up with a solution to my fix; so, I basically substitute this process with a feeling of being hopeless; my mind then focuses on finding a solution and taking all of the time that I need to find it; in between or during breaks, I just have leisure time for myself, somehow or some way; and this is where I can be happy and then, when I'm not happy, I'm just all business instead of depressed and blue; this technique got me through homelessness, it got me through other trials, and it is what's getting me through my plight right now; thus, the deeper I go into it, I might become too busy for anything at all; imagining that I will eventually overcome then keeps my mind on the future rather than my present; this might be it: I either focus on my future or my past; I very rarely focus on my present.

In terms of interpersonal or people issues, I'm always contemplating what would Jesus do and being pleasing in God's sight; so, forgiveness usually comes automatically for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e5b16d537c03
deactivated-5e5b16d537c03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One can choose a religion as one can choose to be happy; but one doesn't need religion to be happy. Many things in life, such as life itself, is but an example of how one can learn to be happy. I like to think people are born happy, regardless of where they reside.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d065fa72d466
deactivated-5d065fa72d466

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Idk, is it? I'm just like a teacher hahahaha

I'm a funny guy

Avatar image for deactivated-64969837cbeff
deactivated-64969837cbeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sometimes

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure, happiness can be a choice. The key to happiness is in a good burger and choosing to adapt to your situation; I believe it comes more naturally to some than others; this is a gift similar to an intellectual gift; I thank Burger outlets that I have this gift plus intellectual gifts.

In my case, it starts with something like a wondering mind; in my worse situation, I just start by accepting that there's nothing that I can do, trying to rebut, and trying to come up with a solution to my fix; so, I basically substitute this process with a feeling of being hopeless; my mind then focuses on finding a solution and taking all of the time that I need to find it; in between or during breaks, I just have leisure time for myself, somehow or some way; and this is where I can be happy and then, when I'm not happy, I'm just all business instead of depressed and blue; this technique got me through homelessness, it got me through other trials, and it is what's getting me through my plight right now; thus, the deeper I go into it, I might become too busy for anything at all; imagining that I will eventually overcome then keeps my mind on the future rather than my present; this might be it: I either focus on my future or my past; I very rarely focus on my present.

In terms of interpersonal or people issues, I'm always contemplating what would Ronald or Barnicle Bill do and being pleasing in sight of a good burger ; so, forgiveness usually comes automatically for me.

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

Yes. Only for those that could simply choose it. If you are strong and Independent enough. You can choose it for the ones closest to you as well. There are those that choose to be unhappy. And those closest to them will continue to suffer.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#18 SC  Moderator

@dernman said:

Happiness is a state of being. Many things have an affect on it. Sometimes choices and sometimes not.

Nice! Well said.

To add on, one small "trick" humans can employ, is to consciously focus on small acts, or events that you know make you happy. Acts and events you can control, influence or create. Petting an animal, recalling a nice memory, having a nice walk, can make you appreciative and improve your mood.

That being said there are lots about life and reality you can't control, people can't force themselves to be happy. So yeah, its both and depends on a few variables.