Is eating meat unethical?

• 112 results
harleyiscool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Is it unethical to eat meat? If so why? If not, why not? No meanies!

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2 dernman  Online

I'm going to be that guy and say don't we already have a thread on this?

Juicers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, every life form is sinful? They live by consuming other life form.

you're on existential crisis my friend..

harleyiscool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By harleyiscool

@juicers: but don’t animals also do things like kill members of their own species?

What I mean to say is that there are things that are common in nature that we might typically find immoral.

harleyiscool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By harleyiscool

@dernman: Thank you for pointing this out. I’ll keep this open in hopes that a new thread might allow for fresh perspectives to develop.

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shame to let all that dead flesh go to waste

harleyiscool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By harleyiscool

@spareheadone: That’s an interesting point. So if an animal is going to die anyways, why should we not eat it?

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@harleyiscool:

Zackly

But I'm sure there are some responsible balances with it all.

joviolma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By joviolma

My ancestor didn't created bow and arrow and increased our position on the food chain to eat grass only, if animals can eat other animals to survive, there is nothing wrong with us doing the same.

AnimeFreak1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nothing is wrong with eating meat

But you REALLY want to push that question to its utmost......

All I can say is no cannibalism

TakenStew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Better than eating vegetables.

ninetoadclown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Humans are omnivores, our dietary needs are balanced around eating all kinds of food.

Being a vegetarian is like buying a car that can’t turn left.

Arthur_Morgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Arthur_Morgan

depends on how you do it.

if you hunt and eat just for fun and even if you already have enough food than its wrong becouse not even animals hunt just for fun.

if you hunt and eat becouse you have to than its ok.

and you hunt only animals that also get hunt by other animals.

if a wolf goes hunting than surely a human got the right to do it , too.

if he actualy needs the meat ofc.

its really simple.

i dont understand vegetarian and vegan ppl.

Alavanka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The deliciousness of food is directly proportional to the outrage of vegans as they find out how much suffering the animal went through.

Wut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arthur_morgan: Wut? Animals can and do hunt 'just for fun'. Have you just never seen a house cat in your life? Dolphins, for example, go out of their way to murder stomp sharks, even when the shark isn't a threat to them, for the lawls and they do it in an incredibly cruel way.

Hell, even if you tried to say 'but they don't do that to their own kind, so ha!' Chimps torture, murder and rape one another.

So....... This is just wrong and is a myth that needs to stop. Animals are cruel.

Shouvik89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Shouvik89

Well, meat comes from death, someone has to die in order for their meat to be eaten, so indirectly, yes it is non-ethical since we humans have other food sources that don't require death.

Of course, the whole ethics/ morality aspect only applies to us humans and not for the animal kingdom, cause they don't have the capacity to understand the objective difference between right and wrong.

BladeOfFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shame to let all that dead flesh go to waste

@spareheadone: That’s an interesting point. So if an animal is going to die anyways, why should we not eat it?

Animals are killed so you can eat them. If you don't eat them, they won't be killed.

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BladeOfFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vishop_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah. Those people who say that they don't eat meat are hypocrites in my opinion.

PurplePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is causing suffering and death for your own pleasure unethical? Yes it clearly is.

King-Ragnar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@joviolma said:

My ancestor didn't created bow and arrow and increased our position on the food chain to eat grass only, if animals can eat other animals to survive, there is nothing wrong with us doing the same.

Arthur_Morgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wut: they dont do it for fun they same way humans do it for fun.

and well, they are animals.

SocaJunkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, depriving your body of the tasty heaven that is meat is immoral and on a larger scale, unethical.

BOC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was gonna tag BoF but it looks like he's already here. Great.

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

No, it’s delicious.

Wut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arthur_morgan: Uh, yes, they do. House Cats kill birds and mice and enjoy doing it. There is a reason a lot of 'playing' involves creating a 'prey' for your cat to chase around. You don't get to go, 'God, humans should be like animals, they only kill for food never just cause' then when you find out.. no, animals do kill 'just cause' and do it all the time, try and play the 'humans should know better!' card.

That doesn't fly. Accept that you were wrong. Accept that idea of 'animals only kill when hungry' is nothing but a myth that attempts to creative a narrative and finally accept that nature is a giant jerk and animals are no exception.

Arthur_Morgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Arthur_Morgan

@wut: its not the same as humans doing it for fun.

You actualy believe the cat goes like “hehe , im gonna kill this little animal becouse its fun“?

its their instinct and in the end exists for them to survive.

it also can be that animals dont even understand death.

They dont work like humans.

Nature isnt a jerk , becouse every living thing can live in it , it gives you food and water.

thats some bullshit lmao.

TakenStew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's really not that unethical to hunt down animals for food. If other omnivores like Bears can do it why can't we? Plus meat tastes way better than vegetables imo.

The only problem I have is hunting animals for fun. I don't support that.

jonjizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

only if you're a hypocrite

Wut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arthur_morgan: And its human instinct to kill animals. Yes, even if you try to extend that to more intelligent animals, like Dolphins and Chimps, once again, you come back to torture and killing for fun.

You don't get to go, 'Humans should be like animals!' then the second you find out animals aren't what you think they are, instantly go, 'Oh, humans should be like.. better then animals cause we're humans'. Seriously, that turn around was so fast I am surprised you aren't dizzy.

Nature is a jerk. What? Living creatures can live in it? Are you kidding me? Extinction has been happening to animals long before mankind hit the scene. What is this hippy nonsense that you are sprouting? "Bruh, if you just love Nature.. it will take care of you... like, dude, if you were in the jungle, it would just give you food off the trees and like water in the rivers, bruh. Don't mind the Malaria, you know, the thing that has killed more humans then anything else in history, its nature's hugs."

"Oh, bruh, look at the Sloth, look at how nature takes care of even the weakest member.." No, you know what saves that Sloth? The local eagle lets it live because it intends to use it as target practice for its babies [And yes, this is a fact that happens].

Nature isn't some 'kind' benevolent being that takes care of its lil children. Walk into the middle of a forest or a desert and see how well Nature will take care of you. It won't. You take care of yourself.

Arthur_Morgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Arthur_Morgan

@wut: that eagle example you gave me just shows how they dont do it for fun lmao.

i never said humans should be like animals what are you talking about.

i said they need to hunt when they have to.

animals dont see the concept of fun and torture like we do.

they dont really realize it.

its pure instinct unlike us.

you are trying to force human thoughts while hunting for fun on animals.

stop with that bullshit.

Wut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Wut

@arthur_morgan: That wasn't about fun, you really need to learn to read, that section was about your nonsensical idea that this imaginary being called 'Nature' is kind and benevolent.

"if you hunt and eat just for fun and even if you already have enough food than its wrong becouse not even animals hunt just for fun"

^ "Its wrong becouse not even animals hunt just for fun" this says you shouldn't do it because not even animals do it. <- Right here. You are saying 'Humans should be more like animals in this regard'. I pointed out how this was flat out wrong. You then proceeded to try and debate that humans should be even better then animals despite your example falling so hard on its face it broke the word 'because'.

Oh? I'm sure you have citations that back up the notions animals do not understand the concept of 'fun' and 'torture'. Please, by all means, post this evidence.

Arthur_Morgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wut:

Everything that happens in nature is natural.

They hunt becouse its their instinct and they are created that way.

yes, maybe animals dont hunt ONLY when they are hungry but dont act like they do it for the same reasons humans hunt for fun.

show me where animals feel the same way about torture and fun.

an animal “torturing“ another animal is not the same as a human torturing another human or animal.

i dont understand what your problem even is, the main point of my first post was still the safest way to go for it.

you dont kill animals unnecessary and you dont get in the way of other natural predators that also need meat to survive.

did you ever thought of nature creating the non predator animals for the predators who need meat?

nature being a jerk depends on how you look at it.

what you say is not a fact.

Wut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Wut

@arthur_morgan: Yes, 'natural'. Just like humans killing for sport is natural for humans. The guy who hangs a stuffed head, the child who loves torturing insects to that weird urge some people get to 'hug a cute animal so tightly they wanna crush it' all stem from a similar desire in humans.

Oh, it isn't? How about when chimps ritualistically torture and kill a disgraced Alpha that tried to come back?

https://metro.co.uk/2017/01/31/fellow-chimpanzees-torture-and-eat-alpha-chimp-when-he-tries-to-make-a-comeback-6417174/

^ That is not a cat catching a mouse, letting it go and catching it again. That is clear torture just like how tribal humans would have done.

'Fun'? You mean like how Dolphins enjoy having sex with one another without reproduction in mind? Yes, just like humans, Dolphins think sex, without the purpose of making children, is right fun to do.

Yes, the above is all fact. You not liking it is an opinion.

_Logos_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

No. Animals will eat you too, if they're hungry enough. It's fair game. Also how could you hurt precious plant life!? Meanies...

Game - get it!? Ha!

bigsebson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By bigsebson

@joviolma said:

This.

With today's modern methods, making them suffer is unnecessary and unethical.

Arthur_Morgan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wut: dolphins are the exception not the rule.

out of all animals , how many do that?

Buckwheat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The real question here is: Is there a global ethic to which we should all oblige? Or is it just a matter of culture?

Wut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Wut

@arthur_morgan: I used two animal examples, dolphins and chimps. It is not my job to prove your points. You tried to say animals do not do this ergo humans shouldn't either. I proved that, no, that is a myth, you're wrong and spreading misinformation, animals do kill for fun and then showed examples. You attempted to say animals too dumb to know better don't count, enlightened animals shouldn't... And I countered by using two of the other smartest animals on the planet, chimps and dolphins, and guess what? They do it to.

So, your argument is wrong and has always been. Now if you want to actually provide evidence to the contrary, you are welcome to try.

BladeOfFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's really not that unethical to hunt down animals for food. If other omnivores like Bears can do it why can't we?

Why should we follow the example of animals with the IQ of 3 year-old children? And it's suddenly ethical to do everything that a bear does, then isn't it also ethical to eat our children if they're unhealthy?

TakenStew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By TakenStew22
@bladeoffury said:
@takenstew22 said:

It's really not that unethical to hunt down animals for food. If other omnivores like Bears can do it why can't we?

Why should we follow the example of animals with the IQ of 3 year-old children?

Never said we should. I simply meant there's nothing wrong with trying to hunt animals for food. We've been doing this since the dawn of man in the Ice Age.

And it's suddenly ethical to do everything that a bear does, then isn't it also ethical to eat our children if they're unhealthy?

Now why would we do that BOF? We aren't bears smh.

BladeOfFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@takenstew22:

Never said we should.

If other omnivores like Bears can do it why can't we?

I simply meant there's nothing wrong with trying to hunt animals for food. We've been doing this since the dawn of man in the Ice Age.

We are smarter now than we were then, and have more resources than we had then. Again, we shouldn't follow the example of people or animals dumber than us.

Exactly. Just because bears do it, it doesn't mean that it's ethical for us to do the same.

just_sayin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is immoral to eat a defenseless vegetable. At least animals have legs and can potentially run away and escape. Vegetables are rooted in the ground. They don't have a chance!!! When people cut or eat a vegetable - it's still alive. Now tell me who the unethical one is.

Make mine bacon!!!!!

TakenStew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@takenstew22:

Never said we should.

If other omnivores like Bears can do it why can't we?

Where did I say we should follow whatever they do? I was making an example lol.

I simply meant there's nothing wrong with trying to hunt animals for food. We've been doing this since the dawn of man in the Ice Age.

We are smarter now than we were then, and have more resources than we had then. Again, we shouldn't follow the example of people or animals dumber than us.

Just because we're smarter doesn't mean we shouldn't make use of our place in the food chain. We're animals too, y'know.

Exactly. Just because bears do it, it doesn't mean that it's ethical for us to do the same.

Exactly. Now where did I say we should follow whatever bears do? Oh right.

BladeOfFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By BladeOfFury

@takenstew22 said:

From my understanding, you used the seconds sentence to justify the first. If not, then that's fine.

Alavanka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@takenstew22 said:

Why should we follow the example of animals with the IQ of 3 year-old children? And it's suddenly ethical to do everything that a bear does, then isn't it also ethical to eat our children if they're unhealthy?

I dunno about ethics, but that would be an awesome solution to many problems.

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Life without meat would be like sitting at your aunts table who cooks vegan food... but every day.... that would be terrifying.

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Is it unethical to eat meat? If so why? If not, why not? No meanies!

Meat is mainly made of proteins. Proteins are made of Amino Acids.

There are lots of different Amino Acids.

Meat protein holds most of the Amino Acids the human body needs.

But only one big meat piece is necessary by week to obtain all the necessary Amino Acids.

Some veggies also contain proteins. But on the contrary to meet proteins, one kind of veggie won't have all the necessary Amino Acids the body need.

So to eat healthy with only veggies, you need to know which veggies have Proteins, and which mix of veggy you should do to have the right proteins.

On the contrary, eating lots of meat at every meal is also bad for your health because it holds blood, iron, and many other components that in big quantities is not good for our body.

Also veggies don't only have Proteins, but carbs, fibers and nutriments our body also must have.

Eating healthy is much more complicated than only knowing those facts. But with that knowledge you have a very good start on ealthy consuming.