Is Canada less racist than the U.S.?

• 77 results
Posted by modernww2fare (7385 posts) 2 years, 7 months ago

Poll: Is Canada less racist than the U.S.? (109 votes)

Yes 64%
No 36%
No Caption Provided

#2 Posted by Green_Tea (10679 posts) - - Show Bio

We have our own set of racist asshats, but i don't think to the same extent as the US. That is if I don't include the closeted racists lol

#3 Posted by Eto (5359 posts) - - Show Bio

@solid_snake97: Ey you from Canada? Ooh wow, I thought you lived in Canada.

Cool.

#4 Edited by Chris-Sama (3624 posts) - - Show Bio

I heard the women love black men. I need to head up that way asap

#5 Edited by IceDemonKing (10029 posts) - - Show Bio

We have our own set of racist asshats, but i don't think to the same extent as the US. That is if I don't include the closeted racists lol

Pretty much this

#7 Posted by RBT (29846 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly, a few months ago I would have said no. But the whole Trump debacle boasted some really non flattering individuals.

#8 Posted by removekebab (3793 posts) - - Show Bio

Some would argue Canada is so afraid of racism that it unintentionally cucks itself.

#9 Posted by Jonez_ (11500 posts) - - Show Bio

not sure

#10 Posted by decaf_wizard (17255 posts) - - Show Bio

Some would argue Canada is so afraid of racism that it unintentionally cucks itself.

Yea as I Canadian I agree with this.

#11 Edited by decaf_wizard (17255 posts) - - Show Bio

Also we do actually have a lot more active racism than the US with the situation going on with the First Nations people.

#12 Edited by Hypnos0929 (6901 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably, I'm not sure. If stereotypes are correct about Canada then yep, if not idk

#13 Posted by decaf_wizard (17255 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably, I'm not sure. If stereotypes are correct about Canada then yep, if not idk

residential schools were open until the 1970's in Canada

Take that as you will

#14 Edited by IceDemonKing (10029 posts) - - Show Bio

@decaf_wizard said:

Also we do actually have a lot more active racism than the US with the situation going on with the First Nations people.

To be fair we've had this problem for what centuries or something , the government is finally owning up and is "attempting" (I use the word loosely) . We should be farther into this process of reconciliation then we already are but it won't happen for along time. There's also the issue with corporations that keep trying to kick them off their reserves.

Edit: also i believe the last residential school was closed in 1996

#15 Edited by Thekillerklok (10193 posts) - - Show Bio

Canada has it's share of crazies just like everywhere else.

#16 Posted by Deathstroke52 (7006 posts) - - Show Bio

There's too much of this notion that Canada is full of nice people and nothing is ever unjust there.

#17 Posted by Hypnos0929 (6901 posts) - - Show Bio

@decaf_wizard: nothing America didn't do. So yeah Canadians seem cool I guess, maybe I should move there. Does the American dollar work there or would I have to convert it over? And is it better to know Spanish or French is Canada?

#18 Posted by IceDemonKing (10029 posts) - - Show Bio

@hypnos0929: sorry for butting in but to answer you're question it's definitely better to know french in canada but not really necessary

#19 Edited by decaf_wizard (17255 posts) - - Show Bio

@hypnos0929 said:

@decaf_wizard: nothing America didn't do. So yeah Canadians seem cool I guess, maybe I should move there. Does the American dollar work there or would I have to convert it over? And is it better to know Spanish or French is Canada?

1) I have never been to a Canadian town or city that takes American dollars. There might be a few places in Toronto but thats about it.

2) French. If you want to get a cushy federal government job, be bilingual and watch as you rake in the government benefits. Also its practically mandatory if you want to live in Quebec (by far the most liberal province in Canada if you like that) and really helps if you wanna visit

#20 Posted by Hypnos0929 (6901 posts) - - Show Bio
#21 Posted by sophia89 (19802 posts) - - Show Bio

After a quick Google search, Canada is not very racially diverse. So comparing it to the U.S. which is very diverse doesn't make much sense. By that logic Saudi Arabia and North Korea are the least racist countries on Earth.

#22 Posted by BlueHope (2681 posts) - - Show Bio

@sophia89 said:

After a quick Google search, Canada is not very racially diverse. So comparing it to the U.S. which is very diverse doesn't make much sense. By that logic Saudi Arabia and North Korea are the least racist countries on Earth.

Saudi Arabia is 11% Black afaik.

#23 Posted by ASGARDIANBRONY (11629 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, race relations seem to be better there. As far as I know, nothing like the Ferguson riots has happened there in modern times.

Here in America, all it takes is one white cop to shoot one black person for an entire city to go to anarchy, even if it was justified.

And ever since the election, things have gotten worse here. Just look at what 4 Chicago teens did to a mentally disabled white man just because they hated Trump. Whether the man they kidnapped actually supported Trump or not is unknown, but they still kidnapped him and attacked him just over the belief that he did.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/05/us/chicago-facebook-live-beating/

where is this in the news? nowhere. if four white men attacked and kidnapped a mentally disabled black man you would never hear the end of it.

#24 Edited by Marc_55 (5857 posts) - - Show Bio

@asgardianbrony: It actually was in the news though, and justice was actually served in this case. Deservedly so.

So, what's your point?

#25 Posted by sophia89 (19802 posts) - - Show Bio

@bluehope said:
@sophia89 said:

Saudi Arabia is 11% Black afaik.

Saudi Arabia

Arab 90%, Afro-Asian 10%

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0855617.html

#26 Edited by Pyrogram (46545 posts) - - Show Bio

Considering Trump won the election I think that speaks for itself... Plus look at race relations in the USA, you see things in the news daily about black and white tensions that don't happen anywhere else in the western world. Plus the native American treatment etc.

#27 Posted by ASGARDIANBRONY (11629 posts) - - Show Bio

@marc_55 said:

@asgardianbrony: It actually was in the news though, and justice was actually served in this case. Deservedly so.

So, what's your point?

is it all over the news still? is it being shoved in everyones faces? if the roles were reversed you know it would be different.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
#28 Posted by deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79 (12104 posts) - - Show Bio

No. Racism is prevalent everywhere.

#29 Posted by Beast_mode999 (2588 posts) - - Show Bio

For some reason the Walter Scott case is still in a deadlock...

But no racism is everywhere

#30 Edited by mrmonster (16708 posts) - - Show Bio

@asgardianbrony: Exactly. Is the races were reversed...

There would be riots all over Chicago.

Barack Obama would invite the victim to the White House, the same way he invited Mohamed Ahmed.

Social media users would flood the internet with support.

Donald Trump would be blamed for it, even if he had nothing to do with it.

And liberal news sites would not put out articles like the one I'll put a link to below.

http://www.salon.com/2017/01/07/do-not-let-racists-fool-you-the-chicago-kidnapping-is-not-about-black-lives-matter-it-is-about-the-violence-faced-by-people-with-disabilities/

#31 Edited by Marc_55 (5857 posts) - - Show Bio

@asgardianbrony: Yet, once again, justice was swiftly served here. There's literally no reason for it to still be in the news.

The difference, that I think a lot miss, is when flipped, justice either never comes, or takes far too long. Here, they were found, tried, convicted.

#32 Edited by IceDemonKing (10029 posts) - - Show Bio

this is so funny

Edit: someone already started to talk about the liberal media this is the best!

#33 Edited by juiceboks (25113 posts) - - Show Bio

@marc_55: A very similar situation happened to a young mentally disabled black boy in Idaho 2 years back, and like you said justice was never served. Hell that boy was raped with a coat hanger and the predator didn't even get charged with a sex crime.

#34 Posted by Marc_55 (5857 posts) - - Show Bio

@juiceboks: I read about that, didn't really get much exposure at all.

That's just beyond words, to not only let him off, but to not even acknowledge the crime for what it was.

That's exactly what I mean though, people get up in arms about the things that were actually resolved. Trying to force a clearly biased agenda. But when people go unpunished, there's always some disgusting justification.

#35 Posted by BigBadBastich (34 posts) - - Show Bio

Every country has racism

#36 Posted by juiceboks (25113 posts) - - Show Bio

@marc_55: Agreed. People are quick to giving a benefit of a doubt to those who get off scott free for the same crimes others get punished to the fullest extent for. This is an especially apparent trend when it comes to police brutality..

#37 Posted by Marc_55 (5857 posts) - - Show Bio

@juiceboks: The worst thing is that people don't even see the hypocrisy.

#38 Posted by XLR87T3 (10282 posts) - - Show Bio

I think I saw on the news yesterday police beat down a black guy even when he didn't even resist arrest. And it was all over a suspicion that he stole a car (which turned out to be his).

#40 Posted by mimisalome (5688 posts) - - Show Bio

I believe the prevalence and observation of racist behavior corresponds to the population density of the society.

I think Canada's population density is pretty low compare to the US at least on areas where it matters.

But let them live on an Island as small as California and you could probably see them resorting to tribalism and going after each other's throat.

Avatar image for deactivated-5add3922b3476
#41 Posted by deactivated-5add3922b3476 (699 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably.

#42 Posted by Luellas (1416 posts) - - Show Bio

Most likely. The U.S. needs a lot of work lol

#43 Posted by Laiks Stake (1282 posts) - - Show Bio

Idk, both are extremely racist mostly towards whites.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b84aca03eae8
#44 Posted by deactivated-5b84aca03eae8 (6261 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably. I don't know for sure.

#45 Posted by Luellas (1416 posts) - - Show Bio

What makes you say this?

#46 Posted by RichardCranium (766 posts) - - Show Bio

@luellas said:
@laiks stake said:

What makes you say this?

Maybe because of "political correctness"

#47 Posted by IceDemonKing (10029 posts) - - Show Bio

America's less racist because canada has me.

#48 Posted by Luellas (1416 posts) - - Show Bio

@luellas said:
@laiks stake said:

What makes you say this?

So you're saying the attempt to respect all races and genders that white people are "still" discriminated against?

#49 Posted by RichardCranium (766 posts) - - Show Bio

@luellas said:
@richardcranium said:
@luellas said:
@laiks stake said:

What makes you say this?

So you're saying the attempt to respect all races and genders that white people are "still" discriminated against?

I dunno, that what I observed as a non-white, non-black person. Ask the people who regularly cries about their white privilege.

#50 Posted by Luellas (1416 posts) - - Show Bio

@richardcranium: I only say this because I fully believe that white people are the least discriminated against when it comes to race.