Is "all lives matter" really an offensive phrase?

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Is "all lives matter" really an offensive phrase? (123 votes)

Yes 33%
No 67%

I see people complain about it because it de-emphasises the racism against blacks.

• 
Olorun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was created to undermine blm. So ofc every lives matter, but black people are treated as less especially by police so blm was used as sort of like "damn their life matters too". But some idiots(it may even extend to racists) were very antagonistic and started saying all lives matter as if blm meant other people's lives didn't matter.

Lilbroomstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It shouldn't be when used the right way.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

This but you're not allowed to use it the right way. Anyone who uses it is automatically lumped in the same group.

LeeM724

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The phrase itself isn't offensive. But people have been using it to undermine the Black Lives Matter movement and people protesting for the rights of minorities.

fabricolage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems kind of like if there was a mourning ceremony going on for a loved one which several or many people knew and some random person comes up and goes "What about all the people that died in [insert unrelated event at a specified timeline]? What about [insert unrelated stuff]?" That or if someone was telling a friend or family member about a loss they've experienced and some random person tries to say something like that while demanding they get over whatever they're going through. Might be to be a rebel or cause anarchy or something.

CocaColaMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 CocaColaMan  Online

It's the least offensive phrase out there.

Mutant1230

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@leem724 said:

The phrase itself isn't offensive. But people have been using it to undermine the Black Lives Matter movement and people protesting for the rights of minorities.

Quinlan58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leem724 said:

JaylinFreeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

^

Avatar image for indomitableregal
IndomitableRegal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Offensive? No. I mean, it's not an incorrect statement. Dismissive? Absolutely. It was/is a counter phrase to Black Lives Matter, which there really was no need for--it was never meant as "Black Lives Matter More", but rather "Black Lives Matter Too". I guess that point was lost on people, or they chose to ignore what sparked the inception of that phrase and movement in the first place.

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Offensive? No. I mean, it's not an incorrect statement. Dismissive? Absolutely. It was/is a counter phrase to Black Lives Matter, which there really was no need for--it was never meant as "Black Lives Matter More", but rather "Black Lives Matter Too". I guess that point was lost on people, or they chose to ignore what sparked the inception of that phrase and movement in the first place.

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dark Matter

rawsos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 rawsos  Online

not with the best intentions. Ive been using it since it counts blm as well as other races. I didnt know it was made to undermine blm until rn. Also, to me, blm still shows that race exist, while all lives matter erases the idea of races all together and shows that we are all one species.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@indomitableregal said:

Whether it was the intention or not; black lives matter, as a movement, is inherently exclusionary.

Whenever you make something the topic of discussion, it will always be at the expense of other topics. That is an unavoidable fact... It's not always a bad thing, but it is something that inevitably happens.

In this case, you are making those exclusions, based entirely on race.

Think about it for a second... What are the last 3 big cases of "I can't breath" caught on camera?

George Floyd, Eric Garner, and Kelly Thomas.

You go to protest police brutality, shouting the slogan "black lives matter", what are you doing? You're inherently ascribing importance and pulling attention to cases like George Floyd and Eric Garner, while excluding Kelly Thomas from the discussion solely because he's white.

darkonast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zetsu-san: ...... im sorry but no , when you hear Black Lives Matter you want ALL deaths to matter equally , remember there was a time when Black people werent seen as equals to whites & an in present day it is still true due to the unfair treatment of black people by law enforcement, for ever 1 bad death of a white male that should be on headlines , 50 more black people die at the hands of law enforcement and Police suffer ZERO consequence

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zetsu-san: ...... im sorry but no , when you hear Black Lives Matter you want ALL deaths to matter equally , remember there was a time when Black people werent seen as equals to whites & an in present day it is still true due to the unfair treatment of black people by law enforcement, for ever 1 bad death of a white male that should be on headlines , 50 more black people die at the hands of law enforcement and Police suffer ZERO consequence

What the intention is and what actually happens are not the same. You can claim it's about making "all deaths matter equally" all you want, but at the end of the day; you're taking an issue that effects all races to varying degrees and making the issue revolve around one specific one.

Trying to justify it by a saying "it effects blacks more often" is... kind of dismissive.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:
@lilbroomstick said:

This but you're not allowed to use it the right way. Anyone who uses it is automatically lumped in the same group.

And what is the right way

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkonast said:

What the intention is and what actually happens are not the same. You can claim it's about making "all deaths matter equally" all you want, but at the end of the day; you're taking an issue that effects all races to varying degrees and making the issue revolve around one specific one.

Trying to justify it by a saying "it effects blacks more often" is... kind of dismissive.

It's at least 3x more than the next group. It's not an equal issue

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@kgb725 said:
@dernman said:
@lilbroomstick said:

The fact you have to even ask that........

Thekillerklok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can honestly say that when I hear, "Black lives matter." I don't get much of a all deaths matter equally vibe.

seems to me the activists are primarily concerned only with black lives, just a feeling I get.

I would bet that most of the people who would say "all lives matter." are in their own perception actually taking a stance against racism, Which leads to the confusing circumstance where two groups are both against each other because "Racism is bad."

Though I wouldn't ever argue all lives to matter equally, I am more of a family over everything else kind of guy.

Though I could probably get behind the statement that No lives matter, as humans are ephemeral beings formed by the space dust of a cosmic fart, and one day will return to dust.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:
@kgb725 said:
@dernman said:
@lilbroomstick said:

The fact you have to even ask that........

Stop dodging the question

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725 said:

So, going back to my initial examples... Kelly Thomas getting beaten to death by cops isn't an "equal issue" to George Floyd because it (proportionally) doesn't happen his race as often. Cus, I guess race matters more than the individual, or something...

Well, at least you're honest.

Thekillerklok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725 said:

So, going back to my initial examples... Kelly Thomas getting beaten to death by cops isn't an "equal issue" to George Floyd because it (proportionally) doesn't happen his race as often. Cus, I guess race matters more than the individual, or something...

that said if you where worried about proportional deaths by demographics you should probably start with the 17x difference that is men vs women first..

Spinach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nup.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725 said:

Imagine trying to cherry pick an incident from 10 years ago to make a point

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725 said:
@zetsu-san said:
@kgb725 said:

Imagine thinking “10 years ago” is a long time... You do realize, that the vast majority of people who were police officers “10 years ago” are still officers, today... right?

What are you even trying to imply here? That it hasn’t happened since? What about the shooting of Daniel Shaver? Is that recent enough?

I mean, considering that the Kelly Thomas incident happened merely 6 months before the incident that sparked the whole BLM movement in the first place; I’d argue it has more relevancy here, than any recent incident would have...

And what the hell does “cherry picking”, in the context of this discussion, even mean? The whole debate is regarding whether or not an issue happening to a certain race less, makes it “less important” than when it happens to another race.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725 said:
@zetsu-san said:
@kgb725 said:

Imagine thinking “10 years ago” is a long time... You do realize, that the vast majority of people who were police officers “10 years ago” are still officers, today... right?

What are you even trying to imply here? That it hasn’t happened since? What about the shooting of Daniel Shaver? Is that recent enough?

I mean, considering that the Kelly Thomas incident happened merely 6 months before the incident that sparked the whole BLM movement in the first place; I’d argue it has more relevancy here, than any recent incident would have...

And what the hell does “cherry picking”, in the context of this discussion, even mean? The whole debate is regarding whether or not an issue happening to a certain race less, makes it “less important” than when it happens to another race.

And how's that relevant at all ? No one is denying cops dont work for a long time

You do way too much assuming

These protests aren't started on singular incidents. Theres just always a tipping point. People were extremely outraged at what happened to breonna taylor as well

You picked a specific high profile case to use for your argument. That's cherry picking. It's also not just about police brutality it's about racism and discrimination as well. A white man shot a black kid in the neck just a few days ago from his house and the Ahmad arbery case had a ton of outrage as well.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f07824e0850d
deactivated-5f07824e0850d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Grinningf0x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes

Avatar image for infantfinite128
infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By infantfinite128

No. All lives matter. We're all human and we are all equal in dignity.

TonyMartial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just delete this thread man. It is offensive and anyone who says no is just ignorant.

mexcomics2078

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NO

Nathaniel_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, no but actually yes.

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By RBT

Its factually correct, but it is mostly used by frustrated racist scums to undermine other movements so it has got a bad rep.

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Decaffeinated

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All lives do matter but the point of BLM is in America it really doesn't seem like it.

SufferedToker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rbt said:

Its factually correct, but it is mostly used by frustrated racist scums to undermine other movements so it has got a bad rep.

Hulk_Like_Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, why does this thread exist?

Avatar image for wolverinebatmanftw
WolverineBatmanFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

The words themselves are far from offensive. They're actually very nice, and in an ideal world, they would be all that's necessary.

However, given context, the phrase as a whole does become offensive. It dismisses and downplays the racism faced by black people in America, and was basically created for the purpose of undermining BLM.

It's actually a brilliant piece of propaganda for the right, as it, on the surface seems totally nice and inoffensive, but upon further contemplation of it's contextual significance, you realize it's quite offensive. It's a bit of a dog-whistle, a coded message I suppose.

WolverineBatmanFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hulk_like_fire:

If you're genuinely interested in why this is an issue, see what I said in post 41.

InvadedTBD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@olorun said:

It was created to undermine blm. So ofc every lives matter, but black people are treated as less especially by police so blm was used as sort of like "damn their life matters too". But some idiots(it may even extend to racists) were very antagonistic and started saying all lives matter as if blm meant other people's lives didn't matter.

This^^^

WolverineBatmanFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:
@lilbroomstick said:

Yes, because it has offensive connotations due to the context. I have no problem with the words themselves, or the surface-level sentiment, so perhaps just come up with another phrase to express the same meaning?

Beyond_Dreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only people who find it offensive is the racists

Beyond_Dreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@olorun said:

This^^^

You know there is a reason why black people is in general more suspicious to the police than white right? One is overrepresented in crimes & is many times more likely to be a criminal than the other. This is what police looks at. It's not racist, It's for everyones best.

There's more white people who are getting shot by police anyways.

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Al lives matter is absolutely ridiculous! It is obvious that Black Lives don't matter

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know, looking at recent events it seems like BLM just equals "let's loot the Nike store!"

seastone98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By seastone98

How's about no life matters & call it a day? We all look the same on the inside anyways, just walking skeletons marching 2 our grave no one is special we will all be dead in a few decades time, so take comfort in knowing that humans might discriminate but death does not. turns out in the end, we are all equal yay! 🙌🙃

Olorun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beyond_dreams: yes their skin color. What do I have to do with other black people besides skin colour? If you're saying that police have the right to racially descriminate someone because of their skin color then you're just being racist.