silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#51  Edited By silent_bomber
@lunacyde said:

You realize all those problems you listed are a product of other men right?

Women are presumed best parent and afforded custody due to what Caroline Norton did with the Tender Years Doctrine. Originally men automatically gave themselves custody, Caroline reversed it to automatically give women custody.

Most feminist groups campaign vehemently against the creation of shared custody laws.

------------------------------

Feminist groups have attacked the idea of men being the victim of domestic violence for decades and proliferate the idea of female victim/male abuser (gets more donations). When this assumption was questioned by Erin Pizzey in the 1960s, feminist groups (most notably the National Organisation for Women) attacked and slandered her as "condoning male violence".

Most feminist groups also campaign against the creation of Male shelters.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@mrmonster said:

I've never understood why International Men's Day is such a controversial thing. I mean, I'm not one of those Men's Rights nutjobs who think that the entire world is rigged against men, but I do see the very real need to talk about men's issues (male suicide rate, lack of support for male domestic abuse victims, men being much more likely to be the victim of a violent crime, etc.) .

Of all the things I dislike about feminists, I'd have to say my biggest gripe with them is that whenever anyone so much as brings up men's issues they are immediately accused of hating women.

QFT.

But I would like to say that Feminism isn't entirely the ones railing against the idea of an International Men's Day (granted some might be, but they're not part of some large Feminist collective mindset). A lot of the controversy is mostly stemmed from ignorance about Men having problems in society. People erroneously think being a man has zero downsides and absolutely no negative experiences as a result of it, which is obviously untrue.

As a matter of fact though there are a lot of Feminists who say this attitude is a result of toxic masculinity and gender roles. Where men aren't supposed to accept help for their problems I.E. Discussing suicide and other issues, etc.

You make a good point. Perhaps feminists are not the only ones to blame, but they certainly are a factor. Feminists just love to perpetuate this myth that men basically live a life of non-stop privilege, and that there are no female privileges. And as I said earlier, whenever anyone who even remotely implies that there are male issues, feminists rush to say "ugh, another woman hating internet troll." I will never understand why so many feminists think that fixing male issues will somehow set women back.

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#53 Lunacyde  Moderator
Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Lunacyde  Moderator

@paragonnate: Certainly not.

@decaf_wizard said:
@lunacyde said:

@decaf_wizard: You're kidding right?

No I am not. There were several societies where women were dominant, had equal or near equal status or a member of the female sex rose to extreme political power at one point or another.

Be careful of broad generalizations

I'm talking specifically about American society and further back its roots in western Europe. Women as a class were legally and socially subordinate to men. They did not share the full rights men enjoyed, nor the position in society. By and large the vast majority of landowners, merchants, political figures, military leaders, and scholars were men. Not because women were not capable of such positions, but because they occupied a second class status in society and were largely restricted from such pursuits. In many cases women were forbidden from these positions. Women often could not attend universities, or engage in many professions. Any property she owned would legally become her husband's upon marriage. You act as if I am saying the reason women had no power is society was somehow their fault. I am not saying anything of the sort. It is lack of opportunity, not lack of value that held women back.

In Europe matriarchal societies, or societies where women had equal standing were the exception, not the rule and by the Renaissance they were effectively non-existent. There are strong individual women throughout history, but again they were the exception, the few with the combination of tenacity and intelligence, status and plain luck to be able to break through. This was of course extremely difficult given that male dominance was the doctrine of the time, as was recognized by Thomas Paine in 1774 when he wrote "If we take a survey of ages and of countries, we shall find the women, almost without exception are adored and oppressed. They are robbed of freedom of will by the laws.Yet such, I am sorry to say, is the lot of women over the whole earth. Man with regard to them, has been either an insensible husband or an oppressor."

While Paine lamented the fact women were treated as inferiors, Antoine Leonard Thomas disagreed writing in 1772 that "Because of their 'delicate' natures and natural modesty, women are less able than men to feel and express strong emotions, to excel in intellectual pursuits or to create great art. They are by nature inferior to, and dependent upon men, and their primary function is to serve as wives and mothers. They should therefore be excluded from the public sphere and be educated only for a domestic role".

Likewise, Rousseau wrote "Men and women are not equal, it is the part of one to be active and strong, the other to be passive and weak. Woman is intended to please man and their education must be wholly directed to give them pleasure, and to be useful to them".

And also this gem,"A female wit is a scourge to her husband...to everybody. Outside her home she makes herself ridiculous as she tries to assume a role for which she is unfitted....Her honour is to be unknown; her glory is the respect of her husband."

It is a well-documented fact that women did not have equal social, political, or economic standing in American and western European society. I have provided just a few excerpts from great thinkers of the time to document this historical reality. To pretend that men didn't wield the vast majority of social power over the past few hundred years of our society would be to ignore that reality.

ParagonNate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lunacyde said:

@decaf_wizard said:
@lunacyde said:

No I am not. There were several societies where women were dominant, had equal or near equal status or a member of the female sex rose to extreme political power at one point or another.

I'm talking specifically about American society and further back its roots in western Europe. Women as a class were legally and socially subordinate to men. They did not share the full rights men enjoyed, nor the position in society. By and large the vast majority of landowners, merchants, political figures, military leaders, and scholars were men. Not because women were not capable of such positions, but because they occupied a second class status in society and were largely restricted from such pursuits. In many cases women were forbidden from these positions. Women often could not attend universities, or engage in many professions. Any property she owned would legally become her husband's upon marriage. You act as if I am saying the reason women had no power is society was somehow their fault. I am not saying anything of the sort. It is lack of opportunity, not lack of value that held women back.

In Europe matriarchal societies, or societies where women had equal standing were the exception, not the rule and by the Renaissance they were effectively non-existent. There are strong individual women throughout history, but again they were the exception, the few with the combination of tenacity and intelligence, status and plain luck to be able to break through. This was of course extremely difficult given that male dominance was the doctrine of the time, as was recognized by Thomas Paine in 1774 when he wrote "If we take a survey of ages and of countries, we shall find the women, almost without exception are adored and oppressed. They are robbed of freedom of will by the laws.Yet such, I am sorry to say, is the lot of women over the whole earth. Man with regard to them, has been either an insensible husband or an oppressor."

While Paine lamented the fact women were treated as inferiors, Antoine Leonard Thomas disagreed writing in 1772 that "Because of their 'delicate' natures and natural modesty, women are less able than men to feel and express strong emotions, to excel in intellectual pursuits or to create great art. They are by nature inferior to, and dependent upon men, and their primary function is to serve as wives and mothers. They should therefore be excluded from the public sphere and be educated only for a domestic role".

Likewise, Rousseau wrote "Men and women are not equal, it is the part of one to be active and strong, the other to be passive and weak. Woman is intended to please man and their education must be wholly directed to give them pleasure, and to be useful to them".

And also this gem,"A female wit is a scourge to her husband...to everybody. Outside her home she makes herself ridiculous as she tries to assume a role for which she is unfitted....Her honour is to be unknown; her glory is the respect of her husband."

It is a well-documented fact that women did not have equal social, political, or economic standing in American and western European society. I have provided just a few excerpts from great thinkers of the time to document this historical reality. To pretend that men didn't wield the vast majority of social power over the past few hundred years of our society would be to ignore that reality.

Making the letter of the law=/=making social norms. One is a product of a select few in a position of authority, the other is formed by society as a whole, and consequently everyone in it. In the past years in America, the people in Washington didn't send out memos to let everyone know certain things were acceptable in society, or that society should have certain views. It was the other way around, societies views and stances changed, which then changes the laws.

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Lunacyde  Moderator

@paragonnate: So your contention is that women wanted to be second class citizens? Interesting take.

ParagonNate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lunacyde said:

@paragonnate: So your contention is that women wanted to be second class citizens? Interesting take.

Quote where I said that please. I'm simply saying that societal norms and expectations are a product of society, and consequently everyone in it. The people making the laws are shaped and informed by social conventions and culture, and thus that comes into play when they make the law. Not the other way around.

ignVela

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It seems like ppl are making a day for everything. Participation Award to everyone!

Keep making more of these days for good reason and you'll realize it loses its value and importance

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Lunacyde  Moderator

@paragonnate: Actually it's not a one way street, they're both mutually reinforcing.

The point is that men at all levels of society held legal and social power over women, and institutionalized that control to perpetuate their power. This is not in contention, it is fact.

ParagonNate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lunacyde said:

@paragonnate: Actually it's not a one way street, they're both mutually reinforcing.

The point is that men at all levels of society held legal and social power over women, and institutionalized that control to perpetuate their power. This is not in contention, it is fact.

Yes it is a two way street. The law makers are shaped by their society, and in turn help to shape it. By making laws based on their social values.

And this is relevant to the issues that men face today how? Also, I can turn your own argument back on itself. Here let me show you.

So your contention is that men want to suffer disproportionate levels of death in the workplace? Or So your contention is that men want to suffer more suicides? or So your contention is that men want to lose custody of their children despite having done nothing wrong?

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By silent_bomber

@lunacyde said:

You're making my point for me.

No I just proved your statement was factually incorrect.

The idea that women should automatically get child custody because they are better suited to child rearing was created, popularised, and campaigned for by women in the mid 1800s. Men put little to no thought into the subject.

From that point onward Feminist groups then fought to maintain the status quo.

Avatar image for deactivated-60fae469e992f
deactivated-60fae469e992f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lunacyde said:

@decaf_wizard said:
@lunacyde said:

Well sure, but you didn't specify that in your original comment. I mean its not like western Europe is and America is the world.

Also the extent to which women were treated as inferior historically is often heavily exaggerated.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@lunacyde said:

@decaf_wizard: How is it counterproductive to examine the origins of the issue? Men wield the vast majority of the power in our society, even today. Men have largely made the laws for hundreds of years, with women even getting a voice at all just within the past hundred years. Men have developed the customs and created the social roles we have today. If you don't acknowledge the source of the problem you can't fix it, and the greatest problem for deserving groups interested in men's issues are the extremist factions who push dangerous and damaging attitudes about social rules and male behavior.

Women create and perpetuate harmful stereotypes about men. If you can't accept that I don't know what to tell you

And no. Feminist groups are the biggest issue for mens rights groups

Its true that Women can and do make harmful stereotypes about men (as it works the other way around). But I would disagree on the last point.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laflux said:
@decaf_wizard said:
@lunacyde said:

@decaf_wizard: How is it counterproductive to examine the origins of the issue? Men wield the vast majority of the power in our society, even today. Men have largely made the laws for hundreds of years, with women even getting a voice at all just within the past hundred years. Men have developed the customs and created the social roles we have today. If you don't acknowledge the source of the problem you can't fix it, and the greatest problem for deserving groups interested in men's issues are the extremist factions who push dangerous and damaging attitudes about social rules and male behavior.

Women create and perpetuate harmful stereotypes about men. If you can't accept that I don't know what to tell you

And no. Feminist groups are the biggest issue for mens rights groups

Its true that Women can and do make harmful stereotypes about men (as it works the other way around). But I would disagree on the last point.

I would watch the Red Pill movie. It offers great insight onto that point

But why specifically would you disagree?

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@decaf_wizard: I'd say it depends on the group. For White straight males sure, but I think you'd find alot of synergy between Feminism and the BLM movement (which while focuses on the unfair treatment of Blacks all round, is mostly characteristed by young black males who are more likely to have forensic histories). Likewise the Gay Male community has naturally been considered an easy ally of Feminists up until recently (which I think is for a variety of reasons which are probably discussed for another time).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laflux said:

@decaf_wizard: I'd say it depends on the group. For White straight males sure, but I think you'd find alot of synergy between Feminism and the BLM movement (which while focuses on the unfair treatment of Blacks all round, is mostly characteristed by young black males who are more likely to have forensic histories). Likewise the Gay Male community has naturally been considered an easy ally of Feminists up until recently (which I think is for a variety of reasons which are probably discussed for another time).

None of those are explicit mens rights movements. They are black rights and gay rights movements primarily

Feminists treat MRA's like garbage as a general rule. There are some exceptions

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think its great to have a day dedicated to the suffering of any group and how to aliviate it. But we have to be frank and say what are the root causes behind it. For men things like Men's Mental Health issues, Men's sexualities aside from Heterosexuality being demonised or Men not acting in a certain way, its often Men who judge what other men should do, rather than women. Likewise in Prison, its men raping other men.

I'll be honest and say many of the most vunerable things I have revealed which I guess in classical terms would be seen as non-masculine have been revealed first to women, and these same women almost always idenifty as feminists to varying degrees. So I find it hard (Personally) to put significant blame on Feminists for the plight of men.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lunacyde said:

You realize all those problems you listed are a product of other men right?

Women are presumed best parent and afforded custody due to what Caroline Norton did with the Tender Years Doctrine. Originally men automatically gave themselves custody, Caroline reversed it to automatically give women custody.

Most feminist groups campaign vehemently against the creation of shared custody laws.

------------------------------

Feminist groups have attacked the idea of men being the victim of domestic violence for decades and proliferate the idea of female victim/male abuser (gets more donations). When this assumption was questioned by Erin Pizzey in the 1960s, feminist groups (most notably the National Organisation for Women) attacked and slandered her as "condoning male violence".

Most feminist groups also campaign against the creation of Male shelters.

True. Not only do feminists completely ignore men's issues, they go out of their way to stop those issues from being fixed. I know feminists hate to be accused of being anti-male, but they have to meet me halfway and stop being anti-male.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a84a212043e5
deactivated-5a84a212043e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is so petty. I used to care about all this stuff, and get riled up over third wave feminism and other extreme ideologies...but I turned 14. People still genuinely worked up about this stuff need to grow up.

HellionVulcan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I won't take on the feminist discussion here since it's a rabbit hole of stupidity that no one walks away from any smarter but the fact that a day dedicated to men causes outrage shows how society doesn't like men in general.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is so petty. I used to care about all this stuff, and get riled up over third wave feminism and other extreme ideologies...but I turned 14. People still genuinely worked up about this stuff need to grow up.

How grown up of you.

Maybe if you or one of your friends loses custody of their children you will grow back into it someday.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@silent_bomber: Jesus how self absorbed are you? *You* need to grow up. Child custody? How about women being de facto second class citizens in some countries?

Everyone's got it bad some way or another, and crying on the internet about how you win/lose the oppression olympics is pathetic. If you really care about inequality, then you have to care about EVERYONE's inequality, not just your own.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By laflux
silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By silent_bomber

@sergeant-rl3 said:

crying on the internet about how you win/lose the oppression olympics is pathetic.

If you really care about inequality, then you have to care about EVERYONE's inequality, not just your own.

Nobody is crying on the internet about anything, and you are literally arguing against what you've written here.

This thread was derailed by people making an argument that boils down to -

"The problems and suffering of men (including men who kill themselves because they cannot see their children any more after separation) are less valid because they share a gender with people I deem to have institutional power"

This is an awful argument. How about we start treating people as individuals and helping people when they need it, instead of carrying on with what you are defending, separating people into groups to decide who's worthy of help.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@silent_bomber:

*Your comment about losing a child is crying on the internet.

*I'm not contradicting myself, because I'm apathetic to it all.

*What am I defending? Nice strawman there. I didn't take a stance because...and I've already said this, in apathetic to the whole situation. I just don't care. People have it off bad, and there's nothing you, or I, or anyone else can do about it, so if I DO have a stance, it's an anti-complaining stance.

Congrats. 3 bad argument stars. ***

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By silent_bomber

@sergeant-rl3 said:
*What am I defending? Nice straw-man there.

The people you attacked were debating against "oppression olympics" as you call it

This was brought into a thread that was supposed to be about International Men's Day.

Noone1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#77  Edited By Noone1996

bot erreryday be mans day durrr hurrr

XLR87T3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bot erreryday be mans day durrr hurrr

Avatar image for deactivated-614ce5c370323
deactivated-614ce5c370323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So... when do we get international teens day?

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Happy International Men's Day everyone

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Happy IMD to us men! : )

ourmanuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Yay us. I mean we did lots of thing, some good, some bad, but you can say that about any other international "insert here" holiday. Because male, female, black or white, they still people. So lets just focus on being proud for being alive and hopefully cause some positivity in the world.

Shinne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Avatar image for deactivated-61215780523f9
deactivated-61215780523f9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jgames said:

Yay us. I mean we did lots of thing, some good, some bad, but you can say that about any other international "insert here" holiday. Because male, female, black or white, they still people. So lets just focus on being proud for being alive and hopefully cause some positivity in the world.

Avatar image for theinsufferable
TheInsufferable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Men actually have an international day? I feel a tiny bit more important now.

Yassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No one really cares; honestly it just seems like a way to shut up any one who wants to go " how come women get a day".

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Q...What Is the useless piece of skin on the end of a man's penis?...

A...the man

Mortein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's ok to be man.

GermanX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not sure if there's an international men's day, but if there is, I am guessing its akin to white pride.

There will be some misguided white fools shouting "if black people can celebrate black pride why can't we?!?!"

Similarly, there will be some misguided incels shouting "if women can have an international women's day why can't we?!?!"

Mutant1230

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@germanx said:

Not sure if there's an international men's day, but if there is, I am guessing its akin to white pride.

There will be some misguided white fools shouting "if black people can celebrate black pride why can't we?!?!"

Similarly, there will be some misguided incels shouting "if women can have an international women's day why can't we?!?!"

What's wrong with International Men's Day?

GermanX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@germanx said:

Its the same as trying to justify the existence of "White Pride" with the existence of "Black Pride".

Women, like black people had suffered under heavy oppression in the past and the existence of "Black Pride" and "International Women's Day" is a reminder that they can be better.

International Men's Day is nothing more than self-entitled crying edgelords and incels hoping for the middles ages to return again.

I am pretty sure no one can refute me on this.

Mutant1230

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@germanx said:
@mutant1230 said:
@germanx said:

Its the same as trying to justify the existence of "White Pride" with the existence of "Black Pride".

Women, like black people had suffered under heavy oppression in the past and the existence of "Black Pride" and "International Women's Day" is a reminder that they can be better.

International Men's Day is nothing more than self-entitled crying edgelords and incels hoping for the middles ages to return again.

I am pretty sure no one can refute me on this.

I can refute all of this very easily. As you are with respect, insanely wrong.

Women and men both suffered under the yolk of oppression for the majority of human history. Both genders had expectations and painful burdens or limitations forced upon them. Do you know that men make up almost the entirety of war time casualties? That for 99% of human history only men had to serve in wars? That even today only men are forced to sign up for Selective Service in the United States? That men go to jail longer than women for the same crime? That men are the majority of workplace deaths, suicides, and victims of violent crimes? That men make up the majority of homeless? That masculine stereotypes of not being able to cry or show any emotions are psychologically damaging?

International Men's Day in your own words exists to a reminder "a reminder that they can be better" claiming that's simply a ruse made up by manbabies and misogynists is not only incredibly tone deaf but is just objectively wrong for the reasons I listed above.

Please educate yourself and don't dismiss actual victims of serious issues in the future.

deathstroke512

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Happy men's day everyone.

FaradaySloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ourmanuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mutant1230: wow. They must’ve really fixed your AI for you to write that down huh.

Don’t worry, some day there will be International Bot Day too.

Mutant1230

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mutant1230: wow. They must’ve really fixed your AI for you to write that down huh.

Don’t worry, some day there will be International Bot Day too.

It was a predetermined script. But, thank you.

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

#98 BumpyBoo  Moderator
Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Fitting its on my birthday!

#lastrealman

#kidding

Alavanka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't care.

A day for men is stupid. As far as I am concerned, men own every day. Real men are working while special cupcakes are celebrating their snowflake holidays. Women's day', children's day, black day, gay day, whatever. Whatever day it is, there are men working.