Impurest's Guide to Animals #174 - Portia labiata

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

Edited By ImpurestCheese

I was under fire last Tuesday. Apparently they don’t stop paint-balling even if there is an ecological survey on, and paintballs hurt. Perhaps I needed some advantageous sixth sense to dodge these projectiles like the wonderful little Winghead Shark. This week we add the words ‘tactical genius’ to super senses, hope you all enjoy.

Issue #174 - Portia labiata

[1]
[1]

Kingdom – Animalia

Phylum – Arthropoda

Class – Arachnida

Order – Araneae

Family – Salticidae

Genus – Portia

Species – labiata

Related Species -Portia labiata is one of the seventeen Jumping Spiders found within the genus Portia (1)

Range - Portia labiata is found in forests and scrubland across South East Asia; from India in the East to the Philippines and Indonesia in the West.

The real ‘Spidercide’

Portia labiata is a small brown spider, with females reaching a body length of only a centimetre, with males being about three quarters of the size of an adult female. Like other Jumping Spiders, the large pair of main eyes are the main feature of this arachnid, and when combined with the six smaller eyes dotted around its head gives the spider all round vision. While all Jumping Spiders have good vision, those found within the genus Portia have the most acute eyesight, and even best dragonflies in detecting targets and maintaining focus, although said focus is very narrow and takes far longer to build up an image (2). To aid it in navigating around its environment, P.labiata has rows of bristles on its legs that allow it to detect chemical changes and vibrations in the world around it.

[2]
[2]

Like the majority of spiders, P.labiata is an obligate carnivore, and while it will feed on insect prey, the preferred prey of all members of the genus Portia are other spiders. Web building spiders are preferred, although the species has no qualms about hunting other jumping spiders, and the size of prey can range up to two times the size of the hunting Portia. Hunting tactics are varied, and can be adapted on the ‘fly’ either through experiences of previous failures, or by detecting and taking advantage of changes in the environment (3). Hunting tactics are usually planned from a vantage point, and may take up to an hour to process before P.labiata begins moving in on its intended victim. When attacked itself, either by predators or its intended victim, P.labiata can shed a leg to sate its attacker, before jumping to safety.

Female Portia spiders set up territories ‘one moult’ before maturing as adults, and mark the edges with draglines, which contain pheromones indicating the strength and age of the spider who set them. Male spiders home in on these draglines, but will actively avoid those that contain the scent of other males, and will make himself known to the female, by standing tall and wave his palps to get her attention. Often the female reacts aggressively, but should the male stand his ground and respond in turn, mating usually occurs, although once complete the female is quick to turn on her mate, and even cannibalise him if he is unable to escape (4). Eggs are laid sometime later on a leaf suspended on top of the female’s web and are guarded by the female until they hatch.

Five Sneaky Portia Hunting Tactics

Portia spiders will pluck the webs of web building spiders to mimic struggling prey in order to attract the web’s host towards it. The Portia spider will at first pluck randomly, but upon finding the correct vibrations to attract its victim, will continue to associate that particular ‘strumming motion’ with that particular species.

[3]
[3]

Should plucking prove unresponsive, Portia spider may enter their preys web, and slowly advance towards the owner, only moving when the wind blows or another vibration can mask their movements.

Alternatively, if the spider in the web has eggs, Portia may deliberately make its presence known and cause the host to flee in what has been dubbed a ‘Portia panic’ before stealing the eggs for consumption later (5).

Portia spiders also target the Spitting Spider (Family: Scytodidae) which defend themselves by spitting venom. Portia will always attempt to attack from behind or above, unless it’s a female carrying her eggs in her fangs, in which case it attacks from the front, knowing that its prey will have to drop the eggs before defending itself.

[4]
[4]

When planning an attack on a victim Portia will always choose the most optimum route, even if said route takes it out of the line of sight of its prey and take hours or even days to reach its intended prey.

Bibliography

1 -www.arkive.org

2 - Jackson, R.R.; A.D. Blest (1982). "The distances at which a primitive jumping spider, Portia fimbriata, makes visual discriminations" Journal of Experimental Biolology. 97: 441–445.

3 - Wilcox, S. & Jackson, R. (2002). "Jumping Spider Tricksters". In Bekoff, M.; Allen, C. & Burghardt, G.M. The Cognitive Animal: Empirical and Theoretical Perspectives on Animal Cognition. MIT Press. pp. 27–3

4 - Jackson, Robert R.; Susan E. A. Hallas (1986)."Comparative biology of jumping spidersPortia africana,P. albimana,P. fimbriata,P. labiataandP. schultzi, areanophagic, web-building jumping spiders (Araneae: Salticidae) utilisation of webs, predatory versatility, and intraspecfic interactions".New Zealand Journal of Zoology.13: 423–48

5 - Wilcox, R. Stimson; Robert R. Jackson (1998). "Cognitive Abilities of Araneophagic Jumping Spiders". In Russell P. Balda; Irene Maxine Pepperberg; Alan C. Kamil. Animal cognition in nature: the convergence of psychology and biology in laboratory and field

Picture References

1 - http://farm8.static.flickr.com/7773/18297500732_27aaa17121.jpg

2 - https://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5346/10071160275_5d67f82bb1_b.jpg

3 - https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7349/12375745183_8484451310_b.jpg

4 - https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/976x549_b/p037zbtz.jpg

This spider is a genius!! Well skilled no doubt at the very least. And thanks to @rockette we go from tactical thinking we go to ‘road train of terror’. Until then though make sure to critic, comment and suggest future issues as well as making sure you check out past issues in Impurest’s Bestiary.

Many Thanks

Impurest Cheese

Want more IGTA? For more cute Jumping Spider antics, click here to see the adorable Zebra Jumping Spider. Or for an animal that can ‘predict the future’ click here to see the tactical Tentacled Snake.

Amendment50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Amendment50

I can't decide if this thing is adorable or horrifying.

Leaning toward "horrifying" given that nothing says creepy like intelligent spiders.

Very cool overview.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amendment50: Thanks for the comment.

All Jumping Spiders are adorable no matter how creepy they seem.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a2b0053414c5
deactivated-5a2b0053414c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Looked up a video to see them in action... didn't seem that intelligent to me, jumped straight into the web and got immediately killed lol.

Loading Video...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And here's one where it actually displays what you said lol;

Loading Video...

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@queen_marceline: Yeah well not every spider operates on the same level. Portia spiders raised in Africa and then forced to hunt insects and spiders from South East Asia really struggled, and the same vice versa.

Interestingly the successes rating for P. labiata stalking web building spiders is 79% and in the 21% of times it fails it is killed 4% of the time.

Thanks for the comments and video(s) by the way

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebcd5ad9fb95
deactivated-5ebcd5ad9fb95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, those spider pictures are really creepy.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@major_hellstorm: Ah but they just want to be loved...

Jumping Spiders are cute, they wave to each other and wear dew droplets as hats sometimes.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@impurestcheese: Sounds cute, but then you remeber they have 6 blank staring eyes, are precision killers that can lull you to sleep, will poison you then make your skin its makeshift stomach and drink your insides. If you are another spider of course.

pipxeroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whoops, I thought this said 'portable labia' and thought I was on the wrong website for a second there.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@impurestcheese: You should do one on Trovants(Yes, I know they aren't animals- but I like to think they're the early start of silicon-based lifeforms lel)

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ImpurestCheese

@major_hellstorm: Eight dear Major, eight staring eyes. Most spiders see it as a twig or leaf until its too late TBH

@pipxeroth: I don't even want to know what you were looking for...

@queen_marceline:Hmm hold that thought...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@impurestcheese: Even worse, I didn't want to stare at the picture to count, lol.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@major_hellstorm: All you need to do is look at the two big eyes, those are the ones that do all the focusing and scanning.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Looks tall for a jumping spider.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

la la la la labiata

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That thing is creepy but cool.

Anna_Karenina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By Anna_Karenina

Not much left to add, but isn't that the cutest and the most photogenic spider ever? Lol! I simply loved all pictures here. :)

Green_Tea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Having a field of vison that wide is amazing for some recon missions. ?

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith: Probably because its trying to look over something to aid in its scheming and conniving

@amazing_webhead: La Bamba?

@mrmonster: Hmm I suspect adorable over creepy, but thanks for the comment

@anna_karenina: Jumping Spiders in general are just adorable in general. Glad you enjoyed it :-)

@solid_snake97:It is indeed. Thanks for the comment.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

Those photos look like works of art and those spiders look like real-life chibi anime spiders or something. Incredible. o_O

Hope your paintball bruises are okay now.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ImpurestCheese

@black_wreath: Not going to lie, jumping spiders seem to love posing and Portia is no different in that aspect. Could be because they no how adorable they are

I is hiding because I is scared
I is hiding because I is scared

@amazing_webhead: Ah okay

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5b5405244e89c
deactivated-5b5405244e89c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Nerdy spider !

So cute ^-^

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#30 MajinBlackheart  Moderator

Jumping Spiders <3

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

This is making my list for potential spirit animals.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ms-lola: You have a list? I only have one unfortunatly

deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#35  Edited By dshipp17

That's a nice close up image of the spider's eyes and I genuinely get the goosebumps from that image.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ms-lola: Gemsbok probably

@dshipp17: Thanks, I covered the eyes more on the Zebra Jumping Spider Issue way back three years ago

deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@impurestcheese: Tell me you've written about them? Surely you have and just as surely I must have read it, right?

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ImpurestCheese

@ms-lola: Not yet...

FicOPedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 230

@impurestcheese: Have you ever heard of the Daring Jumping Spider? I found one by accident over at my dad's, and had to look it up to find out what it was. Saw it jump- it was amazing. :)

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ficopedia: If memory serves me right that is the one with the green pedipalps? Really cool you saw it jump, I had a Zebra Jumping Spider sneak into my home this weekend to avoid the storms outside.

FicOPedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@impurestcheese: Um...not sure? It's black-and-white, and does spin a web. I saw it jump from the corner of the door frame on my dad's front door to the top of the porch light fixture. I was impressed lol. Took it home, and put it in a jar with one of those little one inch bugs with the pincer-looking-thing on one end (cannot recall the name right now). The DJS actually attached itself to the side of the jar with webbing, and just let the other bug run all over the place, even touching the spider. Finally, it settled under the spider, and just sat for a few minutes. The DJS finally pounced while I wasn't looking, and when I checked on it again, half of the bug was hanging out of it's mouth. It eventually ate it all. It was pretty cool.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ficopedia: Those pincer bugs are probably called earwigs. And that is cool indeed.

No Caption Provided

FicOPedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@impurestcheese said:

@ficopedia: Those pincer bugs are probably called earwigs. And that is cool indeed.

No Caption Provided

Yes! "Earwigs" is what I was looking for. Also, yes, that is the Daring Jumping Spider that I had found. :)

Avatar image for deactivated-614ce5c370323
deactivated-614ce5c370323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does it grant spider powers?

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers