Impurest's Guide to Animals #168 - Russian Desman

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

Edited By ImpurestCheese

It’s April and its official, your very own Impurest is engaged (and has been for a few weeks now). While I wanted to reveal it last issue, the fact it was April Fool’s put me off, as did the devastatingly devious behaviour of the T.rex Leech who masqueraded as the tyrant king himself. This week we return to the regular non deceptive nature of IGTA with a furry little river dweller. Hope you guys enjoy.

EEEE I’m getting married

Issue #168 - Russian Desman

[1]
[1]

Kingdom – Animalia

Phylum – Chordata

Class – Mammalia

Order – Soricomorpha

Family – Talpidae

Genus – Desmna

Species – moschata

Related Species - The Russian Desman is one of two extant species of Desmen, the other being the Pyrenean Desman (Galemys pyrenaicus).

Range

[2]
[2]

The ‘Mole’

The Russian Desman is a small brown furred mammal which reaches a length of 40cm on average and a weight between 400 to 520g. While similar in appearance to rodents, Desman’s are actually related to moles (2), and like their close relatives are functionally blind only being able to distinguish between light and dark. In able to navigate around its environment the Desman uses the bulbous, almost beak like structure, on the tip of its snout known as the Eimer’s Organ, which enhances the animal’s sense of smell and touch.

[3]
[3]

Desman’s are carnivorous and feed predominantly underwater using the large webbed front feet to swim after prey such as fish, crayfish, insects and small amphibians (3). Desman’s subdue their prey underwater and can hold their breath for up to five minutes. Desmans are themselves prayed on by large fish, herons and weasels among other species. To reduce predation the Russian Desman is largely nocturnal and often takes to the water to evade its enemies.

Russian Desmans live in small groups of up to five or eight individuals in nests on the banks of the rivers and ponds that they hunt in. All of these individuals will work together to mark and defend their territories from other groups by marking features with a powerful musk. Within the group the males will mate with the females, with the later giving birth to litters of two to five kits, often in spring or autumn.

Five to Save #16 - Insectivores and Rodents

Due to their small size, short lifespans and fast turnover rate it’s hard to think of rodents (such as rats, mice and voles) and insectivores (such as shrews and moles) as being endangered. And while a vast many species have adapted to live alongside humans, an equal amount are struggling as the giant world around them changes. As often is the case, the small and meek often suffer as much as the strong, and while we may detest rats in our bins and mice in our larders, many of their relatives are in need of our help.

Jamaican Hutia (Geocapromys brownii) Status: Vulnerable

Threats: Invasive Species - The last extant native mammal of Jamaica (other than a few species of bats), the Hutia suffers from overhunting and habitat destruction. The main threat to its survival however, is the introduction of the Indian Mongoose (Herpestes auropunctatus) in 1872 to control the invasive Black Rat (Rattus rattus) population. The former species quickly turned on the larger slower Hutia (4), and even contributed to the extinction of the closely related Swan Island Hutia (G.thoractus) in 1955.

Pacarana (Diomys branickii) Status: Vulnerable

Threats: Overhunting - The third largest extant rodent in the world, the Pacarana is a slow moving rodent whose initial response to predators is to back up against a tree or rock and fight its potential attacker. Unfortunately this defensive behaviour is ineffective against human hunters armed with spears and firearms, with hunting depleting the Pacarana’s population by a third over the last decade.

[4]
[4]

Pyrenean Desman (Galemys pyrenaicus) Status: Vulnerable

Threats: Water Pollution - While not as rare as its Russian relatives, the Pyrenean Desman population is declining in its native Spain and Portugal thanks to a mixture of dams reducing flow of rivers and mining pollution (3). The southernmost populations are already endangered or extinct, as industry pushes northward towards the Pyrenees and the desman’s last stronghold.

Santiago Galapagos Mouse (Nesoryzomys swarthy) Status: Vulnerable

Threats: Invasive Species - Considered extinct in 1906, the Santiago Galapagos Mouse was rediscovered in 1997 living in cactus scrub on Santiago Island. As with most species on the Galapagos Islands, this mouse species is threatened by invasive species; in this case the Black Rat and the Domestic Cat (Felis cattus), with this species quickly disappearing in areas where these two introduced species are present. It’s speculated that the Santiago Galapagos Mouse’s ability to tolerate drought and feed off cacti may be the only reason its survived for so long after it was whipped out elsewhere, a factor that may be reducing as the Galapagos Islands experience increased rainfall (due to climate change) and the cactus scrub dies off.

[5]
[5]

Sao Tome Shrew (Crocidura thomensis) Status: Critically Endangered

Threats: Increase in Predation - With the introduction of numerous invasive species of rodent to the tiny island of Sao Tome, the population or predatory birds has increased. And while many of the invaders are nocturnal, the Sao Tome Shrew is active all day long and as such found itself in the sights of its predators. Combined with habitat destruction, this population of shrews is shrinking at an exponential rate towards extinction (5).

Bibliography

1 -www.arkive.org

2 - Hutterer, R. (2005)."Order Soricomorpha". In Wilson, D.E.; Reeder, D.M.Mammal Species of the World: A Taxonomic and Geographic Reference(3rd ed.). Johns Hopkins University Press. p. 303

3 - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-19260705

4 - Woods, C.A. and Sergile, F.E. (2001) Biogeography of the West Indies: Patterns and Perspectives. CRC Press, Boca Raton, Florida.

5 - Dutton, J. (1994). "Introduced mammals in Sao Tome and Principe: possible threats to biodiversity.".Biodiversity and Conservation.3(9): 927–938.

Picture References

1 - https://www.konicaminolta.com/kids/endangered_animals/library/field/img/russian-desman_img01-l.jpg

2 - http://bushwarriors.org.s130414.gridserver.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/geographic-range-of-the-russian-desman.png

3 - http://cdn2.arkive.org/media/FC/FC4D7F92-5207-493C-A69A-79B4E5145A34/Presentation.Large/Russian-desman-hunting-underwater.jpg

4 - http://cdn2.arkive.org/media/9E/9E2019CE-1362-4E19-A266-ED9C2D23AA76/Presentation.Large/Pacarana-foraging-at-night.jpg

5 - http://cdn2.arkive.org/media/F5/F5EE68FF-95A4-400F-8EF5-51A2243F304F/Presentation.Large/Santiago-Galapagos-mouse-on-the-hand-of-a-scientist.jpg

Talk about small problems that quickly snowball. Next week we have an armour plated request from @queen_marceline, but until then make sure to critic, comment and suggest future issues as well as making sure you check past issues in Impurest’s Bestiary

Many Thanks

Impurest Cheese

Want more IGTA? For another semi aquatic mammal of action, click here to see the Yapok. Or for a truly aquatic animal that’s also critically endangered, click here to see the adorable Vaquita.

Green_Tea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@impurestcheese: TBH for a while I always thought it was a rodent until now :/ shame on me for being ignorant lol.

IceDemonKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Five to eight in a nest? weird.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Amendment50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

These things are cute but really weird... water moles. Never could have guessed they were aquatic just by looking at them.

EEEE I’m getting married

Also congratulations! That's awesome :D

Green_Tea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@solid_snake97: Plenty, I can go on a 'bump and bite' frenzy so you can find them if you want

IceDemonKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just checked the spoiler block, congrats on the wedding. You now owe me 30 bucks

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaycool2: Hmm smells like a scam. But thank you :-)

WollfMyth209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fascinating. Well done, as always.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

Water moles? The universe must get really bored.

Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#13 MajinBlackheart  Moderator

Congratulations

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avenging_x_bolt: Actually living underground isn't that different from living in water, the moles just slipped from one environment to the other.

@jloneblackheart: Thanks :-)

Emperor339

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ah, I had a brainfart. I saw you'd posted this in my feed and was like:

"Ah, I'll check it out later, but first I'll check out my 1 notification"

What did I expect...

In any case, that animal is cute AF. I want all of them.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CONGRATULATIONS! This is a great post!

Oh, you're getting married too? That's cool.

Kidding...very happy for you. :)

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ImpurestCheese

Hmm note to self @emperor339: likes blind mole type creatures

@heroup2112: Thanks, your congratulations are most appreciated ?

Anna_Karenina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Now that's an interesting mammal I never heard of before. Thank you for this amazing post!

And congrats on your marriage, have a wonderful life with your beloved one! :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5b5405244e89c
deactivated-5b5405244e89c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

That first pic made me giggle for whatever reason hehe. Very nice read honey.

Congratulations on getting married, I wish you all the best.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 17

misread that as "Russian Dream" at first

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ImpurestCheese

@anna_karenina: I'm not married yet, just engaged. And yes these little guys are a little known group indeed.

@bella_blackstar: Thanks for the comment, Desman's are a wee bit odd looking indeed

@amazing_webhead: I can see that...

amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@impurestcheese: i only just noticed this

EEEE I’m getting married

congratulations! :D

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I've always had a soft spot for "insectivores", as I used to see Hedgehogs where I used to live, although my favorite types are probably the solenodons :).

Also on a related note I am certain I got bit again a few days ago by an Assassin bug as I had swollen lumps on my neck and lip. I think it must have been the 3rd I've bitten by them in the past few years

Great issue as always.

Also much felicitations on your engagement. I will you many happy years :)

Toratorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So basically, it's like a russian version of platypus? Awesome.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laflux: You and those bloomin bugs, glad you enjoyed the issue and thanks for the felicitations

@toratorn: Yep except it doesn't lay eggs or have venemous spurs on its feet

Toratorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Toratorn

@impurestcheese: well yeah, I meant in adaptations more than in general way. A nice example of convergent evolution.

Sawed_Off_It

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toratorn: It is, you could even compare it to the Yapok of South America and the Otter Shrews of Africa, all of which fill a similar neiche as a platypus, and all have similar features despite being unrelated to each other

@morleericks: Cool, thanks for the comment

Amendment50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow. Reply to everyone but me. Typical.

No Caption Provided

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ImpurestCheese

@amendment50: Oh a thousand apologies I thought I had. ? By all means pick an animal and I'll add it to the request list, as penamce for missing your comment.

They are weird and adorable in a single package.

FicOPedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 222

@impurestcheese: Why do people hunt the Pacarana? Pest control? For the pelts? For food? Or what?

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

That makes me so sad, picturing the Pacarana backing up and thinking it can fight when hunted down. Poor little things.

Thank you for this and since this is where you officially announced your engagement, CONGRATS!

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ms-lola: It is very sad indeed. And thanks for the salutations!!

Avatar image for major_hellstrom
Major_Hellstrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Russian ne of them looks like a Platyapus.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@major_hellstorm: Well the Desman does fill the same ecological niche as the Platypus (albeit in Europe) so similarities are to be expected. Thanks for the comment

Avatar image for major_hellstrom
Major_Hellstrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@impurestcheese: It's funny how the Russian one has a nerdy name while the Platypus has poison spikes (the opposite of the Dussian stereotype). Congrats on the engagement btw.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@major_hellstorm: Yeah it may have potentiality traded in the spurs for paralytic saliva like some of the other moles. Thanks for the congratulation