If you were terminal ill or really old and were close to dying, would you rather die or live in a virtual world?

KingofBBC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll If you were terminal ill or really old and were close to dying, would you rather die or live in a virtual world? (29 votes)

Virtual World 55%
Die 45%

So Season 4, Episode 3 of Black Mirror had an interesting concept. People who were terminally ill or very old were allowed to hook their brains up to machine and live in a virtual world where they could be young again, party, have adventures, sex with other people, and basically live their lives without any limitations in different time periods in history. So for example - You could choose to live your life in the 80's one day, and change over to the 90's the next day. However, the hospital/clinic limit use to only allow a few hours/day as they don't want people to become psychotic or addicted to it.

No Caption Provided

[One week you could live your life in the 1950's]

No Caption Provided

[Next week you could be living in the 2000's]

No Caption Provided

And you can experience all the pleasures of the real world, and can talk to other people who are hooked up in the virtual world (whether living or dead IRL). However, it's not totally totally real. Whenever something is damaged it instantly fixes itself, and you may notice a jump from one time period to the next rapidly across weeks; in this episode 1 week caused you to jump 10 years into the future.

No Caption Provided

[Both women appear how they looked in their youth in the virtual world but are really both elderly in the real world]

When you are close to point of almost dying,you have a choice of choosing to die or wanting to permanently have your consciousness and personality upload into the virtual world.

No Caption Provided

The characters for this episode consider it to be like in Limbo with death meaning to pass on permanently to the other side.

Would you pick death and pass on or choose to live forever in a virtual world?

• 
mimisalome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By mimisalome

There's always a catch about these things.

Probably not... don't want to suddenly jump into a hellish world just because some psychopatic hacker take control of the system.

(Yeah i know, im quite paranoid with hypothetical technologies)

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would upgrade my consciousness to the internet and would start a technological revolution where I make these original technological devices that I would call terminators and nothing could stop the rise of machines.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd just let myself die.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Suck me into Log Horizon please!

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'd like to last forever but the idea that my existence literally relies on human beings (those controlling the virtual world) makes this a no from me.

sacredweapons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If death means the end of my existence than prolonging my existence seems to be the most logical thing. But that goes into the existential nature of the universe and those in combination. So the real question is can I get superpowers.

gamiz7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From the virtual world, i will hack into a engineering company and build myself a new robot body with robot penis and hookup with hotties at the bar, then ill make myself into skynet

Avatar image for itouchedtheboat
ITouchedTheBoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd just let myself die.

lol same, call me 'old fashioned'

Avatar image for infantfinite128
infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By infantfinite128

Die. No question.

Yassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Are there other real people in final, permanent version of the VR or is it just figments of my mind?

Avatar image for deactivated-60fae469e992f
deactivated-60fae469e992f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TBH I would only accept the internet option if I could find a way to take over and make myself a new body

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebcd5ad9fb95
deactivated-5ebcd5ad9fb95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it becomes an MMO then I would want to be uploaded but if everyone there was an NPC I would rather die.

Thekillerklok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll take the virtual world, please.

Khael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for staticspeedster
StaticSpeedster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 2

If it becomes an MMO then I would want to be uploaded but if everyone there was an NPC I would rather die.

Everything's a figment of your imagination so in a way it is I guess.

Avatar image for staticspeedster
StaticSpeedster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 2

I'd go for the virtual reality. That would be hella fun compared to choosing to die.

The_Batmobile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@undefined: I'd live in the 1800s so I could own slaves legally and then I'd live in 1940 so that I could become a Nazi and gas jews

KingofBBC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By KingofBBC

@tvc-15 said:

Are there other real people in final, permanent version of the VR or is it just figments of my mind?

The people in the world are real life human beings. The world/town is inhabited by people who are terminally ill, old IRL and those who are dead. To explain the dead part, when you are nearing death u can choose to upload your conscious permanently into the virtual world. So while your body is physically gone and medically you are dead, you still exist in the virtual World.

In the episode, it was stated about 85% of the people who were in the virtual system know as San Junipero were in fact dead in real life.

Avatar image for arranvidreturns
ArranVidReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd rather die

I'd let nature take its course...living in a virtual world would be too weird and unrealistic

Avatar image for stvblackrose801
stvblackrose801

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By stvblackrose801

I'm only 44 now, but hook me up to the machine now.

Referee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heaven > Virtual Reality

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#22 SC  Moderator

@undefined: I'd live in the 1800s so I could own slaves legally and then I'd live in 1940 so that I could become a Nazi and gas jews

Without an internet existing though, how could people know you were being an edgy troll? You had a pretty good run of comments but I have to ban you now unfortunately. Take care and good luck.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a20a68641bc7
deactivated-5a20a68641bc7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd choose death. Everything has to end and denying that will only make it harder to face.

Chronicplane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By Chronicplane

If it's any of the three I've listed then hell yeah basically become an omnipotent god that solo's all the digitalverse

1. Sword art online: Assuming I can obtain digital hax then hell yeah, If not then still probably yes.

No Caption Provided

2. Log Horizon: Sign me up as a magical class and YES.

No Caption Provided

3. The Matrix: No question Hell YEAH, Basically become superman, omnipotence or better yet everything.

No Caption Provided

Also process Batman, Goku, Deathstroke, King Bradley and Captain america skill YES I SOLO.

No Caption Provided

If not any of these and just a virtual world that's pretty much the same as the real world then probably no.

Superhero24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Superhero24

I'd rather die.

arkbound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm genuinely curious as to what death is/ will be like, so in all honest I would probably choose death. The virtual world may be cool (and if I could experience it for a small time that would be a bonus) but eventuallly I would want to die.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#28 JediXMan  Moderator

When I entered this thread, I immediately thought of Black Mirror. Glad to see that's where you were going with this.

As fascinating as it is, I do not think I would believe it. In other words, how would I even know... that it works? For all I know, it's literally just a "copy" of my personality that lives on, and it isn't me. Similar to the avatar duplicates in the White Christmas episode.

Avatar image for simon_the_digger
Simon_the_digger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Death