• 63 results
Posted by Ghostodoofus2 (1248 posts) 2 months, 10 days ago

Poll: If God was a woman, would Abrahamic religions have less male followers? (43 votes)

Yes 58%
No 42%

I remember that Stan of Arabia episode of American Dad where Steve revealed to a group of Muslims that God was a woman and then they tried stone him.

#1 Posted by Ghostodoofus2 (1248 posts) - - Show Bio

I believe so, no matter what, some men can never accept a woman being all-powerful.

#2 Posted by Soratoumiga (3674 posts) - - Show Bio

In Abrahamic religions, God is genderless and above the very concept, so I don't think it really matters, God is just often represented as male, but he is not one, nor he is a female.

#3 Posted by Ghostodoofus2 (1248 posts) - - Show Bio

@soratoumiga: I know that but the scenario is if God was a she.

#4 Posted by PurplePerson (911 posts) - - Show Bio

If you tried to convince people thousands of years ago that God was a woman then Abrahamic religions would likely never have got past like 3 followers in the first place so we would never have heard about them.

If we're just talking about if the official texts were somehow reinterpreted today to show that God was a woman than yes they would have fewer followers. The funny thing is, some people would continue to follow their old religion regardless and just pretend that the new interpretation was wrong no matter how convincing the proof.

#5 Posted by Ghostodoofus2 (1248 posts) - - Show Bio

@purpleperson: Truth is hard to swallow for some and some would never accept it, even if they know it deep down inside.

#6 Posted by Soratoumiga (3674 posts) - - Show Bio

@ghostodoofus2: In that case, it would depend on the mentality and mindset of those men, but probably, yes, they would lose followers.

#7 Posted by FaradaySloth (10650 posts) - - Show Bio

Um no. And I can tell you aren’t the bigger Abrahamic Religion follower.

Avatar image for redhood_jaytodd
#8 Posted by RedHood_JayTodd (1720 posts) - - Show Bio

I would assume they would lose a lot today.

#9 Posted by WollfMyth209 (17057 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh definitely. Well, this is assuming the relationship between men and women in this hypothetical situation was the same. If it was, say, reversed and men were the ones constantly forced into gender-based roles, outfits that cover most of themselves up, compared to property in holy books, and told to submit from birth, I assume there'd be an equal amount of followers, just that women would be in the place of power.

#10 Posted by LuminousHydra (952 posts) - - Show Bio

Well God isn't a woman, so why would you ask such a meaningless, dumb question?

#11 Edited by Racob7 (10082 posts) - - Show Bio

Considering how many followers goddesses had in the past (even in cultures dominated by men) I don't think it would be as bad as you say. The heavenly mother would have plenty of followers compared to the heavenly father.

#12 Posted by Jgames (8210 posts) - - Show Bio

Well God isn't a woman, so why would you ask such a meaningless, dumb question?

XD okay this made me lol

#13 Posted by Quinlan58 (1818 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe. I don't think it would be by as much as some of the other posters in this thread imply, though.

#14 Posted by Mutant1230 (6798 posts) - - Show Bio

@racob7 said:

Considering how many followers goddesses had in the past (even in cultures dominated by men) I don't think it would be as bad as you say. The heavenly mother would have plenty of followers compared to the heavenly father.

#15 Posted by Ghostodoofus2 (1248 posts) - - Show Bio

@faradaysloth: I'm not but my personal adherence isn't the debate here, this is questioning males in society.

#16 Edited by Ghostodoofus2 (1248 posts) - - Show Bio

@luminoushydra: How is it dumb and meaningless? This is a question of male mentality on a statistical level.

#17 Edited by SpareHeadOne (6540 posts) - - Show Bio

The bible calls God the many breasted one and speaks of God as a mother hen.

God is Female. Yehwah and Yeshua are male but The Spirit is female. The female dove broods on the her egg just as The Spirit brooded on the Earth.

#18 Posted by FaradaySloth (10650 posts) - - Show Bio

@ghostodoofus2: If you don't know how Abrahamic Religions work then how you going to try and question the beliefs some hold?

#19 Posted by VineC1993 (230 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol

#20 Posted by JohnnyZ256 (6486 posts) - - Show Bio

The entire idea is impossible. God is neither male or female. He is immaterial.

#21 Edited by Amonfire1776 (3174 posts) - - Show Bio

Hindus have been saying this for thousands of years...

#22 Posted by Reactor (4417 posts) - - Show Bio

While most Biblical verses do cite God referring to himself in the masculine sense (same with most references to angels), but in both cases, it is not exclusive. However, it's a moot point at best, as it's common sense that spirits are genderless, at least as we would classify gender, since they aren't physical forms of life.

#23 Posted by King Saturn (223049 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, this would be problematic for a lot of Male Abrahamic Religion Followers. Most passages in the Bible refer to and cite Yahweh and Yeshua in the Male Context. I think first off a lot of people would think that whoever this Woman is claiming to be GOD is probably The Devil trying to trick them with Witchcraft.

#24 Posted by Helloman (30115 posts) - - Show Bio

The answer is obvious.

#25 Posted by SpareHeadOne (6540 posts) - - Show Bio

A good passage that describes the female aspect of God is proverbs 8. It speaks of God's Wisdom

#26 Posted by Cable_Extreme (16791 posts) - - Show Bio

@reactor: how do you know spirits are gender less?

#27 Posted by King Saturn (223049 posts) - - Show Bio

A good passage that describes the female aspect of God is proverbs 8. It speaks of God's Wisdom

Challenge : Wisdom is something that comes from GOD, it's not literally a description of GOD. It's a quality of The Almighty.

#28 Posted by Reactor (4417 posts) - - Show Bio

@cable_extreme: For one thing, gender (or rather, sexes) are references to the reproductive characteristics by which a species can propagate. In the Biblical narrative, spirits (ie, angels) don't naturally propagate (and in the one instance where they took physical forms and did, it all basically went to shit, and I'm pretty sure it got referenced by Jesus in the New Testament as being unnatural) in the sense that we often consider. They're each made by God, and that's kinda just it.

Of course, I've never read the Torah or Quran, so there may be other instances in the Abrahamic religions that contradict this

#29 Posted by SpareHeadOne (6540 posts) - - Show Bio

@king_saturn:

When there was no one but God, Proverbs says wisdom was there. God was always wise so wisdom was always an aspect of God.

The wisdom aspect of God is one and the same as a female aspect of God.

#30 Posted by jagernutt (17236 posts) - - Show Bio

No because God is not man anyway. The Bible say's as much.

Avatar image for mylittlefascist
#31 Posted by MyLittleFascist (31809 posts) - - Show Bio

Belief isn't based on gender, it's based on culture/upbringing.

#32 Posted by Dernman (26094 posts) - - Show Bio
@racob7 said:

#33 Posted by Stahlflamme (5849 posts) - - Show Bio

God by definition has no limits therefore god cannot be described by anyone gender cause that would mean god lacked the aspects of the other genders making god limited since god needs to be unlimited by definition god encompasses all aspects of male and female. That is also why angels were/are commonly depicted as hermaphrodites with both male and female sexual characteristics.

#34 Posted by King Saturn (223049 posts) - - Show Bio

@king_saturn:

When there was no one but God, Proverbs says wisdom was there. God was always wise so wisdom was always an aspect of God.

The wisdom aspect of God is one and the same as a female aspect of God.

An aspect of GOD's Character, Not his Physical Attributes. Also Wisdom being called a She is a Literary Device as Wisdom itself is not a Person.

#35 Posted by Helloman (30115 posts) - - Show Bio

The answer is still staring people in the face.

Avatar image for theoneabovelife
#36 Posted by TheOneAboveLife (1190 posts) - - Show Bio

The entire idea is impossible. God is neither male or female. He is immaterial.

#37 Posted by HeroUp2112 (18370 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay. I'm Christian (and I've studied a good bit of Judaism and Islam...though I'm by NO means an expert) and I don't see how the all mighty, all powerful, omnipotent, omnipresent creator of the universe would limit itself to one human biological reproductive gender (though I'm certainly it could if it wished to...and in a sense did once depending on what you believe) but that's NOT what the OP is asking.

The Bible, the Torah, and the Q'ran each refer to God (Allah) using male personal pronouns. There could be many reasons for this but I feel it's safe to say that most of the followers of these religions for the last (I don't know let's say at least the last 500 years) are at least under that impression that whatever form God is in the Universe that it has decided in some way to take a male aspect. I suspect (not without some decent thinking and some experience with many people) that a great many MALE adherents to at least two of these religions (Christianity and Islam...the two religions I know much more about that Judaism) are firmly of the belief that "God is male".

That being said. I think that MANY male adherents of these two religions would either cry (as it's been said in this tread) cry heresy and disbelieve if God were absolutely PROVEN to be of a Female aspect, or simply lose faith in their religion to some degree. I don't know how many but a very large number I'd imagine. Many men in these religions either or all 1. Have a vigorous belief that men should be the leaders/caretakers of the family. 2. Men are superior to women.3 Should in on way be subordinate to women (certainly not a female deity). 4. It would simply turn their entire world view around. This wouldn't even necessarily mean these men were horrible. Not all men who feel that men who believe that they should lead their families are bad people or that God being male is a bad thing. Their world view would just be torn down.

I think that most people of faith would be okay though. It might take some time to adapt, and I think a lot of men might find the thought uncomfortable and the women in their lives feel more empowered as there was a shift in their lives, but I don't think most people would lost their faith or there would be any hostility. Just the significant amount I mentioned in the previous paragraph who's number I have no way of knowing.

#38 Posted by Lunacyde (28306 posts) - - Show Bio

I doubt it would make much impact in the grand scheme. Maybe small subgroups of men would be effected.

#39 Edited by AlphaQ (6472 posts) - - Show Bio

If you mean that God was discovered tomorrow and it had a female form, I don't think that would really make any difference at all because people would realize that the form is inconsequential.

God, symbolically, is both masculine and feminine. The masculine aspect generally takes precedence though from what I can tell. It's kinda a contradictory question to ask if God was female, because humanity would not construct a God that was female/feminine exclusively unless there was some kind of masculine representation to fulfill that role alongside it.

#40 Posted by SpareHeadOne (6540 posts) - - Show Bio

@king_saturn:

yeah physical attributes have nothing to do with it. It's a gender thing not a sex thing.

Jesus and his dad display the male gender while The Spirit displays the female gender.

Wisdom displays the female gender and wisdom is an aspect of God.

#41 Edited by Cable_Extreme (16791 posts) - - Show Bio

@reactor: spirits aren’t angels according to the Bible.

It references the spirit being connected with our body and that once it leaves, your body is no longer alive.

Are you under the impression that people’s spirits are gender-less? That the love that a man has for a woman and vice versa is only appropriate because of their body and not their spirit?

#42 Posted by King Saturn (223049 posts) - - Show Bio

@king_saturn:

yeah physical attributes have nothing to do with it. It's a gender thing not a sex thing.

Jesus and his dad display the male gender while The Spirit displays the female gender.

Wisdom displays the female gender and wisdom is an aspect of God.

But Wisdom is not a Gender Thing... it's an Attribute of GOD's Character. Wisdom is as much Female as Courage is Male or Creativity is Non Binary.

#43 Posted by SpareHeadOne (6540 posts) - - Show Bio

@king_saturn:

Words have gender in biblical language.

In Greek Wisdom is "Sophia".

Wisdom is connected to the idea of a female witch.

#44 Edited by Dr_Shenanigans (536 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah if God was 100% confirmed to be female most so called "holy men" would denounce her as a false deity no matter what.

#45 Posted by ourmanuel (12283 posts) - - Show Bio

God is clearly gender fluid and non binary.

Avatar image for thebestofthebest
#46 Posted by ThEBeStOfTheBeST (12147 posts) - - Show Bio

God is neither a man or a woman... tf kinda question is this?

#47 Posted by Dr_Shenanigans (536 posts) - - Show Bio

God is clearly gender fluid and non binary.

God is neither a man or a woman... tf kinda question is this?

It's hypothetical. In this scenario God is in fact a female...Hypothetically.

#48 Posted by King Saturn (223049 posts) - - Show Bio

@king_saturn:

Words have gender in biblical language.

In Greek Wisdom is "Sophia".

Wisdom is connected to the idea of a female witch.

The Bible using Literary Devices to describe Wisdom is not evidence that Wisdom is actually Female. Wisdom is simply a characteristic of GOD's nature, it has no Gender or no Sex.

#50 Posted by SpareHeadOne (6540 posts) - - Show Bio

@king_saturn:

Words having gender is not a literary device. Wisdom is a feminine noun before it is put into a sentence.

Does wisdom itself display the female gender? Well if we assume every act of God in the bible is an act of wisdom, we can judge if those actions were those of a more male or more female gender.

Perhaps wisdom is given female gender because She had to be searched out by God (job 28:27-28) as though he was courting with her as he created. Perhaps because She could only be brought forth during God's action of creating the creation who is herself female in gender.