If a woman is found to have falsely accused a man of rape, should she get the same sentence that the man would have gotten?

• 89 results
Edited 4 months, 29 days ago

Poll: If a woman is found to have falsely accused a man of rape, should she get the same sentence that the man would have gotten? (85 votes)

Yes. 74%
No. 26%

So I notice a bunch of false accusers getting away with one year in jail/prison, while the male's reputation is permanently damaged and he would have faced more prison time. Should women who lie about rape get the same sentence as the man would have got? What do you guys think?

#1 Posted by RabumAlal (5407 posts) - - Show Bio

No that makes no sense. Lying is not equal to rape.

#2 Posted by EcstaticGrace (7285 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes. Maybe even a longer term cause the record of rape would hurt more than a false accusation on a background check.

#3 Edited by StormShadow_X (17422 posts) - - Show Bio

No that's stupid, should defiantly getting jail time by lying doesn't equate to be put in jail with real rapist, murders, etc

#4 Posted by Hypnos0929 (6903 posts) - - Show Bio

At first hearing everyone would probably say yes but when you think about it no.

Is the accusation a crime? Yes.

Is it wrong? Yes.

Will it stop future false accusations? Yes.

But ultimately it will do more harm than good. Should a woman get sexually assaulted and there isn't enough evidence not only would the victim be sent to prison but become surrounded by potentially more criminals. It hurts to say it but if we choose to go down that route less women who have been assaulted will refuse to come forward.

There should be a heavy fine, the lawyers should be paid for the defendant and the woman should be required to nationally admit that she lied. Anything more than those allows too many other criminals to get away

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9e122a6bc32
#5 Edited by deactivated-5c9e122a6bc32 (2290 posts) - - Show Bio

@rabumalal said:

No that makes no sense. Lying is not equal to rape.

"Lying" isn't the same as ruining someone's life.

OT: I don't think they should serve a full term for rape but they should be punished severely, this isn't a joke nor is it as simple as "Lying"

#6 Posted by Dr_Shenanigans (536 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes.

#7 Posted by Thekillerklok (10193 posts) - - Show Bio

Assuming they are found guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, Yes.

#8 Posted by ourmanuel (13003 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

She should still go to prison tho.

#9 Posted by Pipxeroth (9703 posts) - - Show Bio

Absolutely

Avatar image for redhood_jaytodd
#10 Posted by RedHood_JayTodd (1722 posts) - - Show Bio

No, not the same sentence as a real rapist, but a prison sentence nevertheless. Lying about rape is bad, but not as bad as the actual act.

#11 Posted by Ghostodoofus2 (1964 posts) - - Show Bio

@redhood_jaytodd: It varies from people to people but some people would definitely be more traumatised by a false accusation of rape made against them than being raped.

#12 Posted by Straight-Fire (27478 posts) - - Show Bio

Umm, yeah. Totes. You tried to ruin someone else life, so it's returning the favor.

Lying about being raped ain't no joke.

#13 Posted by KingLouie (3568 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes

#14 Posted by NiteLite (2722 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes.Post 12 sums my thoughts up pretty well.

#15 Posted by FaradaySloth (11858 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes. You want to put someone in jail for decades just because you feel like it? Let’s see how you think about it.

#16 Posted by Alavanka (2713 posts) - - Show Bio

No. She should be charged for perjury.

#17 Posted by Lunacyde (28306 posts) - - Show Bio

No. As others said it should be punished, but not on the same level as rape.

#18 Posted by Doofasa (2229 posts) - - Show Bio

It should definitely be significant jail time if proven to be lying in court, but not the same sentence as rape.

Avatar image for itouchedtheboat
#19 Posted by ITouchedTheBoat (3668 posts) - - Show Bio

At first hearing everyone would probably say yes but when you think about it no.

Is the accusation a crime? Yes.

Is it wrong? Yes.

Will it stop future false accusations? Yes.

But ultimately it will do more harm than good. Should a woman get sexually assaulted and there isn't enough evidence not only would the victim be sent to prison but become surrounded by potentially more criminals. It hurts to say it but if we choose to go down that route less women who have been assaulted will refuse to come forward.

There should be a heavy fine, the lawyers should be paid for the defendant and the woman should be required to nationally admit that she lied. Anything more than those allows too many other criminals to get away

this is exactly what I was thinking. I think there should be repercussions and consequences but it's very hard to find a line for it since it can potentially harm future victims.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
#20 Posted by deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79 (12104 posts) - - Show Bio

You nerds are really obsessed with false rape allegations huh?

#21 Posted by Comic_Crusader (102 posts) - - Show Bio

No. Not as bad as rape, in any way, shape or form. It definitely should be prison time though.

#22 Edited by BruceRogers (17769 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd rather have her forced to do right by the falsely accused and help him get his life back first. Heavy compensation, public apologies, whatever it takes.

#23 Posted by Galactic_1000 (5851 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes.

She's tried to destroy someone's carrier.

#24 Edited by BatmanPlusJay (5069 posts) - - Show Bio

With rape I think you could get life. So for a rape allegation, life is a bit too much. Maybe 5 years or something

#25 Edited by BatmanPlusJay (5069 posts) - - Show Bio

I wish I could retract my vote. Accidentally picked "Yes" when it doesn't even make sense.

#26 Posted by Lunacyde (28306 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd rather have her forced to do right by the falsely accused and help him get his life back first. Heavy compensation, public apologies, whatever it takes.

Restorative Justice, I'm a fan.

#27 Posted by Chimeroid (9270 posts) - - Show Bio

@brucerogers: @lunacyde: peoples lives get destroyed, their wives leave them, they lose their jobs, their acquaintances turn away, they get marked as people you should never approach. The accuser cant help nearly enough.

I have seen people be cast away from society when they were falsely accused of murder. Rumors dont die when the charges get dropped.

You could go for restorative justice, but the fines should start with a million dollars + court expenses

#28 Posted by BruceRogers (17769 posts) - - Show Bio

@chimeroid: Well I'm not saying that the wrongful accuser shouldn't be punished. They should or at least to deter others from pulling a similar stunt. Like you said, false rape accusations can ruin lives like nobody's business.

I just feel that doing right by the wrongfully accused should be more important than simply punishing the accuser out of some old "eye for an eye" sense of justice.

#29 Posted by Jooosh1996 (2847 posts) - - Show Bio

If proven they are lying they should definitely be punished however the accused man should have all charges dropped and be given some incentive. Men can loose jobs and lives over just accusations of rape.

#30 Posted by Mortein (6067 posts) - - Show Bio

@redhood_jaytodd: would you rather be raped, or wrongfully accused and convicted of rape?

#31 Posted by Chimeroid (9270 posts) - - Show Bio

@mortein said:

@redhood_jaytodd: would you rather be raped, or wrongfully accused and convicted of rape?

Probably raped, because rapists usually have a really bad time in jail. Overall, losing years of your life in jail is definitely a more traumatic experience than rape.

#32 Edited by kyrees (13577 posts) - - Show Bio

@chimeroid said:

Overall, losing years of your life in jail is definitely a more traumatic experience than rape.

why say that ? the circumstances of their psychologocial trauma might be different but both still suffer for years to come. why give more highlight to a wrongfully accused and sentenced when the victim is going to suffer all her/his lifetime.

#33 Posted by WhyZoSerious (2059 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes. But unfortunately, we live in a sexist society, dominated by women so that ain't gonna happen.

#34 Posted by Chimeroid (9270 posts) - - Show Bio

@kyrees said:
@chimeroid said:

Overall, losing years of your life in jail is definitely a more traumatic experience than rape.

why say that ? the circumstances of their psychologocial trauma might be different but both still suffer for years to come. why give more highlight to a wrongfully accused and sentenced when the victim is going to suffer all her/his lifetime.

Because it's true. I am kinda sick of people pretending that rape is the single worst thing that can happen to an individual. Like, being thrown into jail for years on false accusations of being a rapist, then being physically tortured (as that regularly happens in prisons), and probably even raped, and losing your job, livelyhood, people you care about, and reputation is definitely and unquestionably worse than getting raped.Now, if you are a rapist, you have it coming. But, if you are just a random dude minding his own business, it's a whole other story.

#35 Posted by Dernman (26358 posts) - - Show Bio

@kyrees said:
@chimeroid said:

Because it's true. I am kinda sick of people pretending that rape is the single worst thing that can happen to an individual. Like, being thrown into jail for years on false accusations of being a rapist, then being physically tortured (as that regularly happens in prisons), and probably even raped, and losing your job, livelyhood, people you care about, and reputation is definitely and unquestionably worse than getting raped.Now, if you are a rapist, you have it coming. But, if you are just a random dude minding his own business, it's a whole other story.

Don't forget to mention. When you spend years in jail that is years of a heightened percentage of getting raped more than once, beaten more than the once or killed.

So not only are you in jail which is bad in itself but you have to deal with being raped, beaten and or killed also..

#36 Edited by kyrees (13577 posts) - - Show Bio

@chimeroid said:
@kyrees said:
@chimeroid said:

both suffer in their own terms and both have lead to people taking their own lives as the ultimate escape from it so there's no practical difference in saying that the wrongfully accused and sentenced has it harder than the ones raped. i get that you want to put more focus and accounting on the former but you are implying that the trauma rape victims is lesser compared to the wrongfully accused: both are worse for any human to experience.

there is no winner in being stigmatized as being accused of rape or being stigmatized as the rape victim being responsible for being raped.

#37 Posted by Chimeroid (9270 posts) - - Show Bio

@kyrees: Look, i really don't give half a shit about your sensitivities.

Can we agree that getting raped twice is worse than getting raped once?

#38 Edited by kyrees (13577 posts) - - Show Bio

@chimeroid said:

is this some kind of race where one that suffers more should be held a "winner" ?

what i have is equal empathy and there's no difference on who suffers more when both suffered and both should be helped.

#39 Posted by Chimeroid (9270 posts) - - Show Bio

@kyrees said:
@chimeroid said:

is this some kind of race where one that suffers more should be held a "winner" ?

what i have is equal empathy and there's no difference on who suffers more when both suffered and both should be helped.

Wow, don't sprain your elbow patting yourself on the back.

It's not a race, it's just how laws work. Depending on the damage you cause, you get an appropriate punishment.

That is why this discussion is important. All you are doing is coming in to show your moral superiority and avoiding making an actual contribution to this debate.

So yeah, try not to hurt your back by kissing your own ass.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9e122a6bc32
#40 Posted by deactivated-5c9e122a6bc32 (2290 posts) - - Show Bio

Not only can this ruin life's it's Slander, perjury, and lying under oath.

#41 Posted by kyrees (13577 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, don't sprain your elbow patting yourself on the back.

It's not a race, it's just how laws work. Depending on the damage you cause, you get an appropriate punishment.

That is why this discussion is important. All you are doing is coming in to show your moral superiority and avoiding making an actual contribution to this debate.

So yeah, try not to hurt your back by kissing your own ass.

my standpoint is the psychological and empathic aspect to it. i admit i may have bristled you on that but you confuse my empathy as sensitivity when the psychological trauma on both cases can lead to death at worst. i am sorry for that.

is there anything in the law that states that the wrongfully accused and sentenced is more traumatized than a rape victim because you seem to be going on that point ? care to point where that is ? i assume it is in your country's laws right ?

#42 Posted by AlexTheBoss (19067 posts) - - Show Bio

@rabumalal: Really? Maliciously trying to send someone to prison for years and having them branded as a rapist for the rest of their life for something they didn’t even do is not as bad as raping someone? They are both crimes that can ruin someone’s life. And downplaying the crime to just lying? If they are willing to send someone to prison for something they didn’t do, how should they not face the same punishment? There needs to be a heavy enough punishment to make leing about rape extremely disadvantageous so that people are compelled not to do it.

#43 Edited by kyrees (13577 posts) - - Show Bio

@chimeroid: i'm genuinely asking you for these things since the laws in my country are not exactly stellar in implementation in regards to compensatory and punitive damages to libel (that's where false accusations fall here in my country) and rape. i would like that discussion be seen here as to enlighten everyone of different workarounds per country.

#44 Edited by RabumAlal (5407 posts) - - Show Bio

@alextheboss: Actually being raped is clearly worse than being branded a rapist, are you kidding? Post #4 has good reasons.

OT: This is not something that happens very often, it probably happens waaay less than actual rape. Anti-SJW crew at it again. Please no one @ me as I don’t enjoy lengthy discussions with idiots on the Vine.

Edit: not calling Alextheboss an idiot.

Avatar image for flashgreatersigneveryone
#45 Posted by FlashGreaterSignEveryone (1897 posts) - - Show Bio

The problem isn't the lying or the women lying.

The problem is social media and the public blowing it out of water, condemning the defendant before due process. The accused is already guilty before any proof, trial, or investigation is done as far as the court of public opinion is concerned. If we were a society that actually cared about due process then a simple rape accusation will be not such a life ending event for someone.

OT: if we assume society will still be the due process hating idiots we are currently? Then yes. If we can fix the court of public opinion, then no.

#46 Posted by EICHHOLTZ (615 posts) - - Show Bio

I am by no means a Johnny Depp fan, but if anyone has heard or been following his law suit with Amber Heard, that wench is straight up evil and deserves to be locked up. she legit fight club'd herself and blamed it on him (there is video evidence of her beating herself up while yelling "Johnny no!" ) and is legit a bad person. I refuse to see Aquaman because she is portrayed as a strong female hero in that movie and it couldn't be farther from the truth.

#47 Posted by Chimeroid (9270 posts) - - Show Bio

@kyrees said:

@chimeroid: i'm genuinely asking you for these things since the laws in my country are not exactly stellar in implementation in regards to compensatory and punitive damages to libel (that's where false accusations fall here in my country) and rape. i would like that discussion be seen here as to enlighten everyone of different workarounds per country.

When you create laws you need to start with a "good" you want to protect. (i finished law school and this comes from the law theory aspect)

So, when you try to design a new law, you want to start by defining what is it that you want to protect and how important that right is.

When it comes to rape, you are protecting the sexual freedom, the physical safety, and the honor of the potential victim.

When it comes to false allegations, you are protecting only their honor in the current system.

However, as it is right now, there are too many cases of women using false accusations and successfully ruining people.

So, depending on the result, we should have different punishments.

If someone just gets falsely accused and then freed, the accuser should face a fine and should be liable for damages.

but, if you go to jail based on false allegations, the one accusing you should answer criminally for everything that has happened to you.

At least, that is the theory i stand behind. Abusing the legal system as a tool for vengeance or simply a way to hurt someone should be a crime whether it's rape charges or not.

Note - this should only be done if you can prove malicious intent beyond all reasonable doubt.

PS - This is filled with legal terms, and i didn't study in English, so there is a potential for me misusing some terms .

#48 Posted by tethadam (1418 posts) - - Show Bio

No. Just give her a warning.

#49 Posted by Amcu (17359 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

Firstly just to actually find someone guilty of such false accusations, the evidence would have to be rather overwhelming and completely undeniable IMO. And though I think there should be a severe punishment for such a false accusation its not equivalent to actual sexual assault.

#50 Edited by Dernman (26358 posts) - - Show Bio

@eichholtz said:

I am by no means a Johnny Depp fan, but if anyone has heard or been following his law suit with Amber Heard, that wench is straight up evil and deserves to be locked up. she legit fight club'd herself and blamed it on him (there is video evidence of her beating herself up while yelling "Johnny no!" ) and is legit a bad person. I refuse to see Aquaman because she is portrayed as a strong female hero in that movie and it couldn't be farther from the truth.

I'm not up to date but do we have proof or is this still a he said she said situation between the two of them?