I have a chess question

Avatar image for arranvidreturns
ArranVidReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I like chess a lot. The image below shows how the pieces were finally placed in a game between Bobby Fischer (white) and Tigran Petrosian (black). This game happened in Round 7 of the Petrosian Candidates Final, Buenos Aires ARG (19th Oct 1971, ECO:B42). The website showing this game says that Bobby Fischer (white) won. Please can someone tell me how white is in a winning position here? Tigran Petrosian has a cool name btw lol

No Caption Provided

Khael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's already a chess thread. Imo the white needs one more move to checkmate. But it's already a win win situation, I'm not really good at this though.

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 anthp2000  Moderator  Online

This doesn't make sense. The king can still move a position to the right freely, and with the black tower taking out the white tower afterwards, it's far from a checkmate anymore.

I've been in some chess tournaments before, winning a couple of bronze and sliver medals and there are numerous potential ways for the black side to win here.

Are you sure the white side didn't run out of time or something? Official matches have strict timers.

laughingbatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By laughingbatman

This doesn't make sense. The king can still move a position to the right freely, and with the black tower taking out the white tower afterwards, it's far from a checkmate anymore.

I've been in some chess tournaments before, winning a couple of bronze and sliver medals and there are numerous potential ways for the black side to win here.

Are you sure the white side didn't run out of time or something? Official matches have strict timers.

This was my thought just examining the board. There are several moves left and counter to any checks presented. I think black would've had to run out of time.

Chimeroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@anthp2000: @arranvidreturns: Nah, Fischer had that game on lock down. His plan from that point was to move the rook to h7 and threaten the mate. But, the main issue that pops up here happened two moves ago. Petrusian made a mistake by pushing the pawn to D4 to check the white king meaninglessly while opening the entire diagonal for Bishop C4 from that point on, But, now the move is up to fischer, who would go bishop C4, the only acceptable move for black is Knight E6 followed by rook H7 and, since i don't have enough time to explain every variable (as you know, there are many) it would end up with white taking a pawn, a rook and a knight for a rook, even if he doesn't get a mate. And playing against Fischer, that means the game is already over when you have that big of a handicap.

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 anthp2000  Moderator  Online

@chimeroid: Of course the winner here is clearly the white side most of the time assuming both of these guys are trying their best. That doesn't at all explain how a machine can tell who the winner is in such a prolonged fight between 2 human beings. The only logical explanation is that he ran out of time.

Regardless of the most likely winner the match would be prolonged, and if the black side wants to stall, they can.

ArranVidReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anthp2000: Thank you ANTHP2000 for your answers! :-)

ArranVidReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chimeroid: Thanks Chimeroid! :-) that was very informative!

Chimeroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anthp2000: Machine? This was a real match actually forfeited by Tigran. The match would last for up to 10-15 moves after this and stalling doesn't mean a thing if you are going to lose whatever you do... I will asume you are not actually a chess player.

ArranVidReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So the black knight shouldn't take the pawn on g2 because that would leave the black king vulnerable to a checkmate by white's rook on the right?

ArranVidReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ArranVidReturns
Chimeroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arranvidreturns: It is the White's move here. Not blacks. So after this moment Tigran forfeited the game. If White went Rook h7 and Black went Knight g2 Rook h8 checkmate.

Chimeroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arranvidreturns: But either way, if black takes g2 white goes H7 and ends the same way.

ArranVidReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@khael: Oh yeah I forgot about the chess thread

sorry Khael! :-)

Chimeroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ArranVidReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ArranVidReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chimeroid: It's alright! no need to apologize. Your username is cool Chimeroid!

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 anthp2000  Moderator  Online

@chimeroid: Huh? The website is what I call the machine... I assume it isn't forfeit since that'd be too obvious. You completely missed what I'm saying. There's no way a computer can know how a match is going to end...

Go ahead and assume as you may.

Chimeroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anthp2000: Why are you talking about a computer? No computer meddled in this, he simply asked about why Tigran forfeited this match.

ArranVidReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GIliad_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Did he tip the king?

_Gaff_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This is a pretty well studied match.

Loading Video...

Shadowwaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You were about to get gated in by those two castles over there. I forgot what the move was called. It didn't matter anyway. You were delaying the inevitable.