Hypothesis: Should children and teachers from the U.S be equipped with military grade weaponry for self-protection?

GodSaveMeNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll: Hypothesis: Should children and teachers from the U.S be equipped with military grade weaponry for self-protection? (179 votes)

Yes 15%
No 85%

Proposal: So much school shootings of late in the USA, so little self responsibility to protect oneself.

Nuclear deterrence has resulted in relative global peace ever since World War 2. If schoolchildren and teachers are equipped with the basic rifles and grenades, the likelihood of an attack will drastically decrease due to the drastically increased fear of a costly aftermath.

The government could spend some money to issue a rifle with 5 rounds for each student over the age of 12, for an entire school cohort. Every start of the day each student must fill up a form to be issued the weapon and rounds. If the rifle is too big for a child to handle (puberty issues), a pistol can be issued instead. At the end of the day, each classroom is to be locked down and every single student must rounded up and have their rifles and rounds accounted for and returned. The armourer will check carefully before unlocking the classroom for the students to leave. Every classroom should have 2 grenades in an accessible glass box behind the teacher's table, in the extreme case of a terrorist attack. Weapon maintenance will happen once a year for the school to check and replace defective weapons and rounds. Each child will be responsible to do weekly checks that their weapons are not defective.

This may sound costly but if the rifles and rounds are purchased in bulk with old weapons recycled from the military and police, the NRA can work out significant savings with their partial sponsorship via obligatory advertisements displayed in schools and kindergartens.

The teachers should hold monthly drills with students on how to handle their guns and show free advertisement videos of guns every morning. Old rifles and pistols that are no longer needed or used by the U.S military and police can be rounded up and given to the schools to save costs, where again children are to be educated with and self-responsible to fix any damages to these old weapons. This should help balance the NRA and government's budget, increasing future generation's interest in firearms and ensuring a good stream of revenue.

Each child should always feel safe and secure when going to school, and grow up to be self responsible for their own well being.

Discuss.

NOTE: I do NOT belong to the NRA.

• 
Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blackspidey2099: knives are very effective at killing people. They kill more people annually than rifles do.

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#152  Edited By Jonez_

Teachers: Debatable. With some teachers it could save many lives, with other teachers it could endanger them. There would have to be tremendously strict protocol on which teachers to arm. Like, an absurd level of strictness.

Children: NOOOO!!!!!!!!!! Gun Free School Zones Act!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And none of it should be military grade.

Avatar image for super_saiyan_devil
Super_Saiyan_Devil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holy crap the neanderthals are still trying to defend this.

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@super_saiyan_devil: I don’t see many people suggesting that 12 year olds should have military grade weaponry. Calm yo self...

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

DoctorNowadays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doctornowadays: you were the one that changed the subject. I laid out proof gun control doesn’t stop people from having illegally owned guns.

I’m not worried about whether criminals get guns legally or illegally. I am worried about my right, and the right of each law-biding citizen to be able to fight for thier lives on equal terms. Criminals already can get guns illegally, when they no longer have guns, I’ll give up mine.

That's where you are wrong. Gun control does stop people from heaving guns, because it makes it harder to buy a gun. If guns are harder to get, less criminals will have guns.

The fact that you feel you have to fight for your life comes to show something is wrong.

Avatar image for indomitableregal
IndomitableRegal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

...I'm leaving this country lol.

OldKaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By OldKaiser

@doctornowadays: In Brazil, it’s very, very difficult for a good man to get a gun.

First, you need to be over the age of 25. You’re old enough to vote, drink, drive, serve and die in the military, but if you’re under 25, screw you.

Second, you need to be currently employed, so if you can’t find a job due to unemployment or if you don’t have a job recognized by the government, screw you.

You also need psychological evaluations, background checks, and practically every document you’ve ever had. Then, you can submit a letter to the police explaining why you absolutely need a weapon. If they don’t think you need, guess what, you can’t get it. After that, comes more paperwork before you get a license allowing you to purchase a weapon from the government for a single month.

Of course, because the government decides the guns you can get and supplies them, you not only are restricted to little peashooters, but you can get it for a trifling sum of $2,000 plus tax. Even without income taxes, that’s equivalent to between 3 and 4 months worth of salaries, so if you’re poor, screw you.

A good citizen will do that, which is why we don’t have guns. You can, however, get it illegally, of course. To say that practically every gun used by a criminal was illegally obtained is an understatement. Literally every gun a criminal gets is illegal. With some luck, they belonged to citizen’s who had to turn in their guns to the government in the past.

DoctorNowadays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@indomitableregal:

Come on. Brazil?

Fuck man. Brazil is one of the 10 most dangerous countries in the world. I'm talking on a normal situation. Sure if you life in Brazil or el Congo, or Siria... Get a gun.

But we are talking USA here. It's a different reality.

jonjizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By jonjizz

no, any psycho could steal one of those guns and go on a killing spree somewhere else

Avatar image for indomitableregal
IndomitableRegal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldkaiser: I think this was meant for you.

@indomitableregal:

Come on. Brazil?

Fuck man. Brazil is one of the 10 most dangerous countries in the world. I'm talking on a normal situation. Sure if you life in Brazil or el Congo, or Siria... Get a gun.

But we are talking USA here. It's a different reality.

You tagged the wrong person.

OldKaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By OldKaiser

@doctornowadays: Not everyone in the United States lives in peaceful neighborhoods. There are many areas there that have murder rates just as high, if not actually higher, than the mean rate here.

St. Louis has about 3x more murders than Brazil’s mean.

Baltimore has about 2x more murders than Brazil’s mean.

New Orleans has about 1.5x more murders than Brazil’s mean.

Detroit has about 1.5x more murders than Brazil’s mean.

There are other examples too. Point being, good people should be able to defend themselves if they choose to do so. In addition, government shouldn’t regulate the weapons’ market too much, though I am in favor of background checks for criminal offenses and the like.

OldKaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Buckwheat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stan Rodriguez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, children are way more likely to kill themselves with it than anything else along with each other.

But what about this, more resource officers in school, along with us enforcing the gun laws we already have cause they're pretty adequate.

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@jonez_ said:

Teachers: Debatable. With some teachers it could save many lives, with other teachers it could endanger them. There would have to be tremendously strict protocol on which teachers to arm. Like, an absurd level of strictness.

Children: NOOOO!!!!!!!!!! Gun Free School Zones Act!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And none of it should be military grade.

You mean like this reserve police officer who accidentally fired his gun when teaching about safety and injured his students this month? Yeah, that's going to be a common occurence. Because you're not getting anyone mkre adept than a reserve police officer in the classrooms. Not to mention at some point some overworked teachers who get sloppy and someone wanna-be cool student snatches his gun to brag about it. Or what if someone wants to do a school shooting? Originally he needed to go find somewhere to buy a gun, now he needs to grab a kitchen knife. Ever heard of a mass knifing at a school? No, and that won't change, but if you arm teachers with guns all an attacker needs to do is knife a teacher he knows has a gun and easily gets his hands on a gun inside the school to start murdering people, because surprise teachers don't expect being knifed in the middle of the hallway.

@blackspidey2099: knives are very effective at killing people. They kill more people annually than rifles do.

Please, remind me of all those mass knifings at schools. Because I live in a country with real gun laws and when a student tried with an axe and a bunch of knifes he kinda did poorly. As in nobody died. Actually remind me of general mass knifings what is the record there? Is it close to fifty or even twenty? Cause when a mass shooting doesn't take at least a dozen people it doesn't even become a news story anymore. Also the reason is because most of those murders are commited by people not wanting to be caught so they use handguns, which are easier to transport than rifles and general firearm deaths are way above knife deaths. Mass shootings like a school shooting are usually commited by people who don't care if they are caught.

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#170  Edited By Stahlflamme

@jonez_: Mostly, but its simply not debatable if you should arm teachers or not. There is a reason why military personal that is constantly trained to handle firearms is not armed at all times. Accidental shootings will happen everywhere eventually no matter how well anyone is trained. That's why it is important to keep gun free zones in schools and other civilian areas.

Lets ignore the hundreds of accidental shootings a year in general for the moment. The occupation in which carrying a weapon in a civilian surrounding is the most common is police and accidental gun discharges injuring and killing them and others happen regularly in that profession. And has in fact happened on multiple occassions inside of schools. Less trained people less focused on handling these weapons are going to cost lifes no matter who you arm.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b84aca03eae8
deactivated-5b84aca03eae8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Teachers and students should stay a world away from firearms, if they know what's best for them. Leave firearms to law enforcement officers and the military. Their trained to use a variety of weaponry.

tethadam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not teachers only students.

Maalik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Qualified teachers yeah, students not so much.

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stahlflamme: I can show you mass stabbings (China for example), bombings, mass poisoning, and more. Guns are good at killing, but they are also the ONLY thing that can protect your life agaisnt someone else with a gun. People have the right to protect themselves with a gun in most places here in America. The places these mass shootings take place are gun free zones which only serves to disarm law-biding citizens.

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4
deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread is gold lol.

OP what were you smoking when you thought about making this thread. Can I have some

Buckwheat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can show you mass stabbings (China for example), bombings, mass poisoning, and more. Guns are good at killing, but they are also the ONLY thing that can protect your life agaisnt someone else with a gun. People have the right to protect themselves with a gun in most places here in America. The places these mass shootings take place are gun free zones which only serves to disarm law-biding citizens.

So, this in your oppinion is a good idea?

US Senate proposes arming hobos with shotguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cable_extreme said:

@castiel_18: what about trained teachers?

No. Teachers have one job and that is to teach. What's stopping an angry heat-of-the-moment teacher from using a firearm to recklessly hurt or even potentially kill a student as a form of punishment?

The alternate and common sense solution: school campuses everywhere need to have armed security guards and/or resource officers consistently patrolling in and out of buildings and around the school perimeters during school hours to ensure maximum safety of teachers and students. The main entrances/exits to schools need to have security gates with a security guard watching at all times. Security cameras should be installed inside every classroom and hallway as well as some overlooking the main entrances/exits and the outside perimeters. Every door to a classroom should obviously have a lock and be locked from the inside at all times. Windows inside, if any, need to be locked at all times. Every classroom should have an emergency switch to start a fire alarm for the entire school. (firefighters and police immediately respond to a fire alarm)

Revan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By Revan-

Its not debatable at all. No teachers should have any type of firearm. At all. Evidence suggests it’ll be catastrophic. Anyone saying otherwise is delusional.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e09a6b06793e
deactivated-5e09a6b06793e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You don't fix bad by adding more bad. Even children know better.

The_Magister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#181  Edited By The_Magister

This thread is gold lol.

OP what were you smoking when you thought about making this thread. Can I have some

DanielDaRipper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tethadam said:

Not teachers only students.

Yes.

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By Cable_Extreme

@castiel_18: what is stopping an angry in the heat of the moment police officer from using his gun? Teachers and police officers are people both capable of handling a firearm. I’m just a normal citizen but I have gone through the training and test to carry a handgun with me everywhere I go. I can outshoot many police officers having been in competitions a big portion of my life and there are many teachers out there like me.

It is sickening people like you wish teachers and students to be completely helpless to a gunman.

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@revan-: many places in Texas, teachers already do. It isn’t catastrophic, you act like teachers are second rate human incapable of responsibility.

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By Cable_Extreme

@buckwheat: mental illness and drug abuse is a huge problem amoungst the homeless along with crime rates done agaisnt them and crime that they themselves commit.

To safely own a gun, one needs a safe place to store them, homes less people do not have a safe place to store their guns when they are sleeping and stuff like that which is firearm negligence. I don’t oppose thier right to own a firearm but I would go around arming the homeless.

Revan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By Revan-

@cable_extreme: Teachers shouldn’t have them because they spend their days around children. What happens when a large student overpowers a teacher and takes their weapon? What then?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cable_extreme said:

@castiel_18: what is stopping an angry in the heat of the moment police officer from using his gun? Teachers and police officers are people both capable of handling a firearm. I’m just a normal citizen but I have gone through the training and test to carry a handgun with me everywhere I go. I can outshoot many police officers having been in competitions a big portion of my life and there are many teachers out there like me.

It is sickening people like you wish teachers and students to be completely helpless to a gunman.

You clearly don't understand. There's a reason why we have police officers. Police officers are there to protect civilians and ensure their safety. It's their job. This mindset of yours that we should have armed civilian teachers is a stupid and dangerous one. I would never send my child to a school where every teacher and to an extent, students, have an easy access to a gun. What if any student gets ahold of the gun for whatever reason? Then what? School violence is going to increase because of this absurd lack of common sense. I don't care if you are "qualified" to use a firearm and can outshoot police officers in competitions. Who cares? That's not the point. You are not a police officer! I will never trust you to protect my kid just because you say you're "qualified" and think you should be held in the same standard and trust as law enforcement. Teachers have a job and that is to teach students!

This thread should've been locked a long time ago.

Dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

How is this thread still open with an OP like that?

mikethekiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We should just install auto turrets in all american schools.

Dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By Dernman

@mikethekiller said:

We should just install auto turrets in all american schools.

Know what the real way to keep kids safe in school? Shut them down. No schools no danger. :p

Avatar image for fullmetalemprah
FullMetalEmprah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Military grade? Hell no, although I do think schools in general need better security, but I don't think it should be mandatory for teachers to have training or a firearm. They're better off having more officers at the school, qualified officers that will actually do their job should something like this happen.

LEGACY6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why on earth would you equip a child with military grade weaponry. We soldiers have a hard time killing somebody, what on earth makes you think a child can pull it off in a combat life and death situation.

I dab to remain eloquently sarcastic and subjective. But this is just stupid.

jayc1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is the dumbest thing.

GodSaveMeNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

@dernman said:

You guys act like this is a stupid suggestion to arm schoolchildren (Above age 12) and teachers with rifles and pistols. But 10% of Comicvine agrees with the proposal in the OP. That means around 9 people so far.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By HeroUp2112

OMG no. I'm a supporter of the 2nd amendment for sure. Even further I support the idea of school faculty carrying a PISTOL, IF they want to and IF they've passed a psychological test, thorough back ground check, passed a Concealed Carry Permit class, and at least some sort of basic Combat Shooting class. Again, IF they choose to.

Children under 18 aren't permitted to own a rifle in any State in the US anyway, and no pistols until they're 21.

Furthermore, a "military style" (I hate that term, it's misleading), but I assume this means something like an AR-15 or AK-47. There are a HOST of reasons this is a bad idea.

• Rifles, in general, have a MUCH higher muzzle velocity ergo, much faster firing bullets which, even if you HIT the assailant the chances of it penetrating the target, going THROUGH them, and hitting someone else are very high.
  • Rifles are more difficult to train with and become proficient in their use in close quarters environments like say...a school with a bunch of narrow hallways. A criminal shooter doesn't have to worry about this, they're shooting at everyone. A faculty member has to be able to quickly engage the target, and STILL be able to sight in and hit it quickly. This actually easier to do from a distance than with a pistol but this kind of shooting is VERY unlikely inside a school.
  • With most pistols there is a softer (obviously not SOFT) projectile, flying at lesser speed that CAN ricochet, but it FAR less likely to that with a full metal jacket rifle round. So NOW you have a round that might pass through an active shooter, into a student or other faculty, but also ricochet off a wall and into other student or faculty.
  • For the record...MOST of the time Hostage Rescue teams of all branches, Military...the Police...tend to use what are called sub-machine guns (some units prefer to just use pistols with the SMG's just in case)...weapons that have some of the features of "military style weapons" pistol grips and the like, but are shorter and shoot pistol rounds to minimize the problems associated with rifle rounds like I've discussed. Before anyone suggests arming teachers with these, they're even harder to train and become proficient with than rifles.

The idea of arming teachers and other faculty is problematic and potentially dangerous enough without adding to it with another level (or two) of making their jobs with firearms harder.

Very easy rule of any kind of combat operation (which yes, is what an armed teacher is preparing for) is the acronym KISS.

• Keep
  • It
  • Simple
  • Stupid
jayc1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

@dernman said:

You guys act like this is a stupid suggestion to arm schoolchildren (Above age 12) and teachers with rifles and pistols. But 10% of Comicvine agrees with the proposal in the OP. That means around 9 people so far.

that is basically no one

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

No.

The bad possible repercussions outweigh the good.

NO.

Avatar image for super_saiyan_devil
Super_Saiyan_Devil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread should've been locked a long time ago.

Agreed. This is making the US somehow look even dumber.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And we call ourselves the human race...

Dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200  Edited By Dernman

@jayc1324 said:
@godsaveusall said:
@jayc1324 said:

@dernman said:

that is basically no one

How many of those are just not serious picks or by mistake? No sane person would support this. I feel the OP is just trolling.