#1 Posted by Ashasakura37 (5 posts) - - Show Bio

Hello. I am writing original fiction. However, I am having a hard time putting out these concepts in words. Basically, all of the characters and most of the inhabitants in my book’s verse are powerful to the point where a multiverse is seen as trivial and fiction. Yet next to each other they seem relatively normal but with powers, and also major flaws and vulnerabilities. They’re beyond megaversal as well, though that’s not a term I use in the book (I use gigaversal, yet without context, these terms may sa well mean nothing. I’ve heard of hyperversal and outerversal though those seem made up.

My question is how to I convey to the average reader in words that even the weakest character (an inhabitant among octillions of other powerful inhabitants in the higher realms) are several orders of magnitude higher than a multiversal level while there are other inhabitants that are even more powerful and exist outside of concepts of dimensions, time, and space? I would appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

Avatar image for theinsufferable
#2 Posted by TheInsufferable (2682 posts) - - Show Bio

You could categorize them into different species or types of beings à la Neil Gaiman's Endless, and come up with explanations of how powerful each of them are gradually. Basically make your own power scale rather than adhering to current prefix+versal words.

#3 Posted by NiteLite (2537 posts) - - Show Bio

You could categorize them into different species or types of beings à la Neil Gaiman's Endless, and come up with explanations of how powerful each of them are gradually. Basically make your own power scale rather than adhering to current prefix+versal words.

#4 Posted by Buckwheat (2266 posts) - - Show Bio

@ashasakura37: Is this power scalle a very important part of the story you are telling?

What I mean to say is, if you are basing this fictional reality with overpowered characters as the background where the real story unfolds, you could present —as the above posters sugest— a way to categorize the power levels, so to get that out of the way, so you can go into telling the real story.

On the other hand, if the powersets are a inherent part of the story, it would be best IMO to show this power differences as the story unfolds, little by little, with actions and not words.

So... Which of the two is it?

This seems like a fascinating idea. Can you share a bit more on your project? Is it a short story? a full book? A comic?

Do you have a synopsis?

Can we see anything more, even if an excerpt?

#5 Edited by Ashasakura37 (5 posts) - - Show Bio

While the power scaling part of the story is important as the main characters have such powers and existence (and not just them but just about every character and inhabitant in the story-there are more than vigintillions of such inhabitants in the story verse), this takes a backseat to the main plot of the story. I’ve been working on this book for years. Yes it’s a full novel.

I have a rough synopsis.

Over twenty thousand years into the future, most humans and other sapient beings in the universe and the universe itself evolved to the point where a universe could be seen as trivial. More than fifty thousand years into the future on a reconstructed Earth, Thrastara Navarra thinks the power of the multiverses are reserved for the elite or those who were given the authority to create or destroy such space time continuums, and the rest were restricted to smaller verses. Even in this advanced society, suffering exists.

Thrastara, at 22 years old, is a year late to gain such power. His life is changed when a wild looking old Exorcist confronts him and tells him reality is not what it seems. The truth is people have power over the infinite realms of dimensions, as all multiverses were fiction to them. The people from over 40000 years in the past would see the average person in the future as immortal super beings, god like. Unfortunately, there was a compromise many years ago that if Lord Neraos could not use the fullest extent of his power, then no one else could, as Neraos was far beyond the concepts of time and space. Neraos is the antagonist of the series. The Exorcist that confronted Thrastara is known as Dr. Johnas Moorekase, who serves under a deity whose realm is even higher than Neraos. He and his allies fought against Neraos and his angels in the past.

After Johnas has to yank out a demonic presence from Thrastara and render him unconscious, he tells him the truth, and that he must Awaken like everyone else should eventually, as Neraos would need someone like Thrastara to use as a vessel to regain his fullest powers. However, countless others like Thrastara are being pursued and murdered by one of Neraos’s subordinates working AGAINST his will as Neraos was further weakened from a prior battle. Thrastara and his friends reluctantly follow Johnas and the other Exorcists to stop Arrak, the man behind the killings ant the antagonist of the first book, ‘The Powers Cataclysmic.’ On his way doing so, Thrastara must further awaken his powers and face some of his worst fears and inner demons. This includes trying to trust people he fears and despises.

I hope there is some value I can contribute to the craft of writing with my story.

#6 Posted by RL4 (1700 posts) - - Show Bio

Give em a ranking system and explain it later as characters develop. Frame unusual powers or flaws as something intregral to these people, yet at the same time, not terribly uncommon. A bit like describing someone as blood type A+ or O-.

#7 Posted by jhazzroucher (25150 posts) - - Show Bio

Make your own power levels/classes ( YuYu Hakusho uses letters like Class A, Class B, Class S. DBZ's uses numbers like 9000, etc ) and indicate that the ones belonging to the lowest class are as you say "are several orders of magnitude higher than a multiversal level while there are other inhabitants that are even more powerful and exist outside of concepts of dimensions, time, and space."

#8 Posted by Ashasakura37 (5 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks for everyone’s replies. I think I’ll make my own power class scales and describe and show what each of those mean. Thanks.