How to convince my parents to let me own a firearm?

• 80 results
AckRecky7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@lpnq said:

However my nazi parents are extreme goofs.

I'm pretty sure nazi parents would allow you a gun lol.

Just say you won't shoot up schools like those other kids and won't accidentally click the trigger accidentally shooting someone. Just show them many US statistics like a ratio of how many people in households kill or shoot one another with a gun and say you're not the percentage of who would shoot your own family or accidentally shoot someone in the house hold.

LpnQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lpnq said:

However my nazi parents are extreme goofs.

I'm pretty sure nazi parents would allow you a gun lol.

Just say you won't shoot up schools like those other kids and won't accidentally click the trigger accidentally shooting someone. Just show them many US statistics like a ratio of how many people in households kill or shoot one another with a gun and say you're not the percentage of who would shoot your own family or accidentally shoot someone in the house hold.

lol. Nazis had SEVERE gun control on the citizens of germany.

LpnQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Getting your own place is the most obvious solution. If they don't trust the captain of the ping pong club then they won't trust anyone.

I'd have to wait until after college than.

@kyrees said:

leave the house otherwise you won't convince them to let you own a gun

Cant support myself if i go off alone.

LpnQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tell them that you will become a gay African American if they don't give you a gun.

Problem solved!

Avatar image for heraldofganthet
HeraldofGanthet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lpnq:

No child has the luxury of choosing his parents. This is an unfortunate reality that all of us have to deal with as we make our own way in this crazy messed up world. That said, as a Navy veteran who handled firearms of various calibers over the course of my career, guy's like me fought (and some died) to guarantee your right to keep and bear arms. The challenge you face is twofold:

1.) As entirely screwed up (forgive me for saying so) as your parents are in their belief system, it IS their house. Their house, their rule structure. You could get the gun in secret, and God forbid something happens like a burglary you could save the day while simultaneously proving to them in real time that you were right all along. They seem to lack intellectual honesty though, so that is not likely going to strengthen your relationship with them. So...

2.) Move out of there and don't look back. If you have siblings (I don't remember you mentioning that, but..) keep in contact with them through Facebook of other social media. But don't got back to that house, bro. Not even for Christmas or Thanksgiving dinner. Get you own place, ASAP and exercise your God-given 2nd Amendment right to defend yourself and others from an unprovoked attack and/or a tyrannical government.

Good luck, bro. Nobody can break your heart/ disappoint you like family. You just have to love them from a distance sometimes.

LpnQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heraldofganthet:

first off, i'd like to thank you for responding in the way you did.

Option 1) You're right. It's their house so i'll just have to keep on taking the suck and wait till i can start my career.

Option 2) While it is viable for my later on years in life, it's not an choice i can make as i'd have nowhere to go. Unless i go to germany and live with my cousins. Probably not going to do so. Yes i do have a sibling.

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By slimj87d

No offense, but the way I'm reading this is "help me continue to free load off of my parents and get what I want."

Move out if you don't like their rules, become a man.

A more better question is advise on becoming independent and not struggle doing it. Ask people hoe they moved out of their parent's homes and became successful or failed.

AckRecky7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By AckRecky7

@lpnq said:

lol. Nazis had SEVERE gun control on the citizens of germany.

Hey hey hey I'm talking about the nazi nazi people. I'm sure a nazi would give their child a gun and make them shoot some Jews. It probably did happen. Anyway's your parents don't sound that bad. Just move out when you get older. Or move out now if you really, really, really, really, really, really are fascinated about the idea of owning a gun for some reason.

LpnQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slimj87d: i just turned 18 not even 2 weeks ago.

Freeloading would be the 30 year old guy who lives in the basement. Yeah though i understand where you're coming from and im actually glad you said that as i'm getting viewpoints from all ranges.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebcd5ad9fb95
deactivated-5ebcd5ad9fb95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So you want a gun to hunt animals?

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

Their house their rules ultimately. As an adult your choice is, is a gun more important than your parents, more important than a free (I assume) place to live? Etc. A gun isn't exactly that important in life for 99.9% of people and you can live a happy life without one, you're literally 18, you have your entire life to buy a gun. Don't burn your bridge with your parents for instant gratification or to prove a point. As I said, it's their house so you have to live by their rules. When you can move out it's a different story.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

You want a gun...for hunting. I'm sorry but as a European with no need for a gun I can't help you. Then again my parents told me I wasn't allowed to go to uni, so I went behind their back and applied by myself, even ran away to go there and got disowned for following my dreams. Ten years later with my wedding upcoming they still won't talk to me.

My advice is live without a gun until you get your own place, and if you still are inexplicably drawn to owning a firearm, get one (just make sure its legal and not overly stupid like an assault rifle.)

Avatar image for deactivated-5e09a6b06793e
deactivated-5e09a6b06793e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh, you can live without a gun

Truth. I've owned one for about 5 years now & it's collecting dust.

Hypnozzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tell them that you will become a gay African American if they don't give you a gun.

God you guys just don't understand me. I'm transgenderacial, mom..... deal with it!

Hypnozzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So you want a gun to hunt animals?

Are you against that? If so do you eat meat?

Mfundroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sorry but how is it possible to be liberal and homophobic and racist all at the same time? I seriously did not see that one coming.

LpnQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sorry but how is it possible to be liberal and homophobic and racist all at the same time? I seriously did not see that one coming.

IKR They both voted for hillary, Absolutely despise trump and his administration Etc...

Mfundroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Mfundroid

@impurestcheese: WTF?! They didn't want you to further your education? What degree did you study at university? Oh and congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

Mfundroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Mfundroid

@lpnq: You Americans never cease to amaze me. You're so strange at times. In an intriguing manner of course. Oh LOL, a liberal who's homophobic and racist? I guess I've been doing it wrong for the past 21 years. HA!

LpnQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#71  Edited By dshipp17

@mfundroid said:

@lpnq: You Americans never cease to amaze me. You're so strange at times. In an intriguing manner of course. Oh LOL, a liberal who's homophobic and racist? I guess I've been doing it wrong for the past 21 years. HA!

Depending on what you define as homophobic, as the term is in the eye of the beholder, and racist, again in the eye of the beholder, you can easily get those combinations in churches attended by non-whites; all church goers (non-Catholic Christians) are not white, conservative, and Republican, as the media is trying to brand churches (non-Catholic Christians), not even the majority of church goers (non-Catholic Christians). Oh, and I just met a white man just around 5 months ago who's a transplant from the Pacific Northwest to the south (e.g. can often be a code for racist), but, who's very liberal (e.g. I over heard him categorize himself, as such, as he was speaking to someone over the phone to opposed Jeff Sessions and called himself secular); as a matter of fact, you're likely to encounter that combination in the Pacific Northwest of the United States; and, again, also, in some cases, depending on how you want to brand someone as homophobic; except, non-Catholic Christians, for the most part, at least, are not actually homophobic, as I would define the term. Of course, this concept isn't as popularized by the media, when it comes to other religions, even though the term could be much more likely to fit in those groups, as compared to Christians.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@mfundroid: Environmental Science, they wanted me to stay home to tend to the family business. I'm now an Ecologist at a small firm.

Avatar image for heraldofganthet
HeraldofGanthet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By HeraldofGanthet

@lpnq: Happy to help where I can, young brother. I don't know what region you live in, but I would be looking at every possible job your age, education level, and/or experience allows you to apply for. Perhaps a factory is hiring not to far from where you live? Maybe one of your future co-workers would be willing to let you crash on his/her couch while you save up enough money for your own spot (of course you'd have to first build such a friendship/acquaintanceship, but you seem cool so it's at least plausible this could happen. Especially if you explain to them your current situation). Maybe there is a paid HVAC, welding, carpentry, electrician, shipyard, or other tradesman's apprenticeship program you could qualify for?

These aren't glamorous jobs, but they pay good money. Way more than enough for a young guy like yourself to get a nice place of your own. And a reliable car to match. Again, I don't know where you live (not that's it's any of my business anyway), but I would thoroughly research these options. ASAP.

Or you could just say screw it and join the Military. You know that they'll pay you on time AND provide you with room and board for at least the next 4 years (I'm only half joking on this one, by the way ;)!

Hypnozzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Hypnozzz

Get out on your own first. If they don't want firearms in their house that you're staying in for free than you should respect that regardless of your position on guns. Become your own man and then you can make big decisions like this.

Mfundroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@impurestcheese: Well that's great man. I hope you're able to patch things up with them.

LpnQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lpnq: Happy to help where I can, young brother. I don't know what region you live in, but I would be looking at every possible job your age, education level, and/or experience allows you to apply for. Perhaps a factory is hiring not to far from where you live? Maybe one of your future co-workers would be willing to let you crash on his/her couch while you save up enough money for your own spot (of course you'd have to first build such a friendship/acquaintanceship, but you seem cool so it's at least plausible this could happen. Especially if you explain to them your current situation). Maybe there is a paid HVAC, welding, carpentry, electrician, shipyard, or other tradesman's apprenticeship program you could qualify for?

These aren't glamorous jobs, but they pay good money. Way more than enough for a young guy like yourself to get a nice place of your own. And a reliable car to match. Again, I don't know where you live (not that's it's any of my business anyway), but I would thoroughly research these options. ASAP.

Or you could just say screw it and join the Military. You know that they'll pay you on time AND provide you with room and board for at least the next 4 years (I'm only half joking on this one, by the way ;)!

Option 2 is preferred :) I talked to my parents earlier this day about the coast guard and how it's mostly comprised of saving people and they still rode it off completely.

Im going to just chill for the next few years and just tag along with friends if they're doing anything gun related ( nothing illegal, safety first)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hypnozzz: Generally no. But if he already has food in the provided house then yes.

Hypnozzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hypnozzz: Generally no. But if he already has food in the provided house then yes.

What are you referencing?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hypnozzz: If he lives whith his parents than I would assume that at least they buy him food to eat. But I don't know.

SeaGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lpnq: you could always join the National Guard Reserve. It basically lets you still live at home but if there is a emergency in the US you are called to help. Also I think you do have to go to regular training and stay on base every once in a while.

Though you probably need to figure out exactly why your parents are against you joining the military to better argue against them.