How to convince my parents to let me own a firearm?

• 80 results
LpnQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Let's get things sorted out before you guys jump on me.

I turned 18 not too long ago.

I'm not a dumb kid (NHS, Captain of ping pong club, I wrassle, graduating with high honors, and i'm physically fit so i can handle my self quite well)

I have been holding down a job and i dont spend my money on anything ; i'm very frugal.

My parents are very VERY liberal. They're extremely anti-military and anti-gun. Which i find ironic as they're racist and homophobic ( yeah wtf?)

The other day i brought up about joining the military as a personal challenge and to see who i really am as a person and they said "We'd disown you if you joined the marines"

I've brought up the idea of firearm safety classes to them and they shoot me down every time, will get extremely pissed if they even suspect me of looking at firearms for sale.

"Well, son why do you need a firearm?"

I live in FL. I want to hunt and i'd like to have one at home at all times. It's my right and as a firm supporter of the 2nd amendment i would like to obtain one. However my nazi parents are extreme goofs.

Ugh. Help me please. i know this sounds very stupid to ya'll as "there's other problems that are greater than yours etc."

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Become self-sufficient such that you can live on your own and provide for yourself. Then their threats or disapproval become moot and you make your own life choices.

SeaGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

well join the army, navy, or airforce instead of marines just spite them.

As for the firearm stuff honestly you are 18 they can't really tell you what to do and you can fill out all the stuff yourself. Though if you want to keep it a secret just don't let them know what you are doing. Make up some activity you are doing on those nights are get a female friend of yours to pretend to be your gf as a excuse for leaving at night.

Though honestly you need to stand up to them or your relationship will probably be strained with them for years to come.

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Cable_Extreme

Tell them that if they don't let you have a gun, you will join the marines.

LpnQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mysticmedivh: I wish that could happen immediately, but i have to support myself through college somehow. So i'm stuck with the fam.

@seagod: You're right, i'm going to get more defensive or their control will just get worse. Why do you "spite" the marines lol

Tell them that if they don't let you have a gun, you will join the marines.

Lmao. if i get a gun they'll be pissed, if i join, they'll be even more pissed.

SeaGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lpnq: I mean spite your parents. Your parents said if you join the marines they will disown you so you should join a different branch.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a39421825b35
deactivated-5a39421825b35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hire someone to kick in the door & stick a gun in there's faces & make them wish they had one at arms reach when they heard the break in.

Better to have one & not need it than to need one & not have it.

LpnQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By LpnQ
Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lpnq: oh well, what are they gona do? You have a gun

Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#10 MajinBlackheart  Moderator

Just get one? And unless you want to find a new place to stay, keep it secret.

As a Floridian, I'm surprised to learn there's a house here without a gun.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lpnq: What are there views on hunting?

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

Move out of your parents house. That's really the only threat I can see them have over you. Sure you have your 2nd amendment rights, but it's their house and their rules... so while you might have that gun, they probably do not want you in their house if they are really that anal about it.

That said... you really do sound like you have major family issues going on atm you should probably get sorted first.

LpnQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just get one? And unless you want to find a new place to stay, keep it secret.

As a Floridian, I'm surprised to learn there's a house here without a gun.

I KNOW RIGHT?! THATS WHAT I SAID. DAMMIT

@lpnq: oh well, what are they gona do? You have a gun

Yeah if they mess with me i'll just muzzle sweep them

LpnQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lpnq: What are there views on hunting?

It's "morally unjust" hypocrites i tell yah

Move out of your parents house. That's really the only threat I can see them have over you. Sure you have your 2nd amendment rights, but it's their house and their rules... so while you might have that gun, they probably do not want you in their house if they are really that anal about it.

That said... you really do sound like you have major family issues going on atm you should probably get sorted first.

Besides the whole hate for military and anti gun nut's they are. Just another normal suburban family but yeah, i do understand where your coming from.

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15 Lunacyde  Moderator

@lpnq: They sound pretty unreasonable. In my experience no amount of logic will change their minds.

SeaGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lpnq: do you have friends that hunt? If so have one of them either give or sell you some deer meat and make deer burgers and show them hunting has uses. Or are your parents vegetarians? If they are well I have no idea.

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lpnq: in all seriousness, I grew up in a family with guns everywhere. There is a lot to them with handling, storage, and proper rules when shooting. Make sure you are aware of these by taking classes before you ever get a gun. A mishandled gun could kill, but a property handled gun will kill on command, not by accident.

I carry a gun everywhere I go, even on my college campus with my CHL. I feel tons more safe knowing that if my life was in danger, I could at the very least shoot the guy who shot me before I die so no one else dies. Show them the news stories of crimes such as shootings/stabbing a that were stopped by a good gun toting citizen.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lunacyde said:

@lpnq: They sound pretty unreasonable. In my experience no amount of logic will change their minds.

This sounds about right. Old & set in their ways, they'll probably never change their views.

Maybe find a compromise?

LpnQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lunacyde said:

I hope they can turn around. If not i'll just leech off them for the next 4-6 years and commission with my degree.

@seagod said:

@lpnq: do you have friends that hunt? If so have one of them either give or sell you some deer meat and make deer burgers and show them hunting has uses. Or are your parents vegetarians? If they are well I have no idea.

If i had to explain my parents with one sentence it'd be "Hypocritical crossfitting justice warrior" As to the friends who hunt. Do you count fishing? I dont really know alot of hunters sorry :/

@lpnq: in all seriousness, I grew up in a family with guns everywhere. There is a lot to them with handling, storage, and proper rules when shooting. Make sure you are aware of these by taking classes before you ever get a gun. A mishandled gun could kill, but a property handled gun will kill on command, not by accident.

I carry a gun everywhere I go, even on my college campus with my CHL. I feel tons more safe knowing that if my life was in danger, I could at the very least shoot the guy who shot me before I die so no one else dies. Show them the news stories of crimes such as shootings/stabbing a that were stopped by a good gun toting citizen.

That's amazing dude. I'll keep persisting the idea to them and hopefully they'll break.

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By jb681131

@lpnq: First try to understand why they don't want you to have a fire arm. Then formulate in your head why you clearly want a fire arm. If it's for leasure, try paintball or airsoft. If it's for defense, I find it stupid. If it's for hunting, join a club and proove them this is really what you'd like to do, and with honest reasons, not just because you can kill. If it's because you like shooting, go to firing range and use a rental weapon. If it's because you like war, no one should like war.

SeaGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lpnq: nah fishing doesn't count as it doesn't use a gun.

Define what you mean by hypocritical.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jb681131 said:

@lpnq: First try to understand why they don't want you to have a fire arm. Then formulate in your head why you clearly want a fire arm. If it's for leasure, try paintball or airsoft. If it's for defense, I find it stupid. If it's for hunting, join a club and proove them this is really what you'd like to do. If it's because you like shooting, go to firing range and use a rental weapon. If it's because you like war, no one should like war.

WHAT?

LpnQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seagod said:

@lpnq: nah fishing doesn't count as it doesn't use a gun.

Define what you mean by hypocritical.

They promote being pro life, spreading joy, and following your dreams yet they openly told me to not have gay friends or black friends. Just pure bullshit that comes from them.

When i told them i'm going to school to become an anesthesiologist they were stoked. When i brought up the military they changed.

@jb681131 said:

@lpnq: First try to understand why they don't want you to have a fire arm. Then formulate in your head why you clearly want a fire arm. If it's for leasure, try paintball or airsoft. If it's for defense, I find it stupid. If it's for hunting, join a club and proove them this is really what you'd like to do, and with honest reasons, not just because you can kill. If it's because you like shooting, go to firing range and use a rental weapon. If it's because you like war, no one should like war.

I want to go hunting - i think going to the store to buy meat is ridiculous and i like the camaraderie between hunters. I'll look into clubs! I also would like to have on at the home. You never know if someone will break into your house with malicious intent.

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Lunacyde  Moderator

@lpnq: Don't expect to get all of your meat from hunting unless you plan on hunting dozens of different types of game and dining a lot of time into it.

SeaGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lpnq: I see. My parents have always been do what you want(within reason). Heck I plan on getting a gun in the fall and they basically told me cool and be careful. Though my parents are against my joining the military though mostly because I have a messed up knee from stepping on a baseball when I was a kid.

Also you aren't really defining your parents right when you call them Social warriors as the SJWs would want you to have friends of all types. I would suggest you sit down with them and have a calm discussion about their opinions and your opinions and try to find a common ground. Your parents probably don't hate the military they probably are worried about your well being.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lpnq: As far as seeing who you really are. There are other options other than the armed forces.

If you feel like you need to get put through the wringer in order to find your self I 100% understand.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lpnq:

Well this depends on a few things, and you're going to have to make some important, adult decisions here.

How much do you value your relationship with your parents? Is it more important to you to have a firearm, hunt, and join the military than to either A. Be as close to your parents as you are now. B. Have no relationship with your parents? (GOD I HOPE they wouldn't do something like this...IS this a potential outcome? I suspect not, but I don't know the situation at all).

My best advice. Decide what's important to you, do it, and face the consequences. I assure you that's what the Marines will require of you if nothing else.

LpnQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seagod: Heck, you're probably right. Maybe if i started off by telling them i would join the coast guard instead of the marines they'd be alot happier.

@heroup2112:Ty for your input. I really do appreciate the relationship between my parents and they do too. I honestly think they're overreacting and with time they'll realize it. The material things and experiences will be fun but i chose my parents over those.

@lunacyde:True.

It'd be cool, if they would just let me do what i'd like to do and not be up my ass 24/7

SeaGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lpnq: worth a shot though make sure before you do something you regret you try to work things out.

LpnQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seagod: For sure. Before i do-do something. I'll bring it up to them. Even if they hate it, at the very least they will expect and somewhat accept it.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By righteous300

You'll shoot your eye out, kid.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lpnq said:

@seagod: Heck, you're probably right. Maybe if i started off by telling them i would join the coast guard instead of the marines they'd be alot happier.

@heroup2112:Ty for your input. I really do appreciate the relationship between my parents and they do too. I honestly think they're overreacting and with time they'll realize it. The material things and experiences will be fun but i chose my parents over those.

@lunacyde:True.

It'd be cool, if they would just let me do what i'd like to do and not be up my ass 24/7

I don't blame you for the choice at all. Was just trying to help you identify your choices. In that case, I really don't see how you're going to be able to change your parent's minds about getting a gun. Wish I could have been more help.

LpnQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You'll shoot your eye out, kid.

Loading Video...

LpnQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heroup2112: Ty for your views. i really do appreciate it

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lpnq said:

@heroup2112: Ty for your views. i really do appreciate it

Any ol' time.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why the rush for a gun?

Just work enough money move out an you will need no permission.

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"I am a man now, I am buying a gun whether you like it or not."

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can you honestly say why you think owning a gun is so important?

LpnQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tensor: @spambot:The gun is just a underlying issue to my parents control.

Not to attack you or anything, but in my previous posts i explain myself clearly.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lpnq: I sort of got that idea from what you wrote. So it seems like you want to own a gun just because your parents are so against it in which case you are never going to win their approval for it by any sort of discussion. Either you live with them and play by their rules or move out and play by your own.

Yassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#41  Edited By Yassassin

Seems like your only option is to leave or hide the gun, but you got to ask yourself, is a gun really worth it?

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#42  Edited By dernman

@tvc-15 said:

Seems like your only option is to leave or hide the gun, but you got to ask yourself, is a gun really worth it?

He also has to ask himself if his parents would disown him over this are they really worth it?

Yassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@dernman said:
@tvc-15 said:

He also has to ask himself if his parents would disown him over this are they really worth it?

That too.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll hit you with the classic line and it applies in this situation perfectly. Their house, their rules. Plain and simple. Maybe, just maybe if you were paying some bills or helping them with money somehow.....then I could see an argument and it being unfair. Even then, it's still their house, their rules. If you really want to own a gun, then you'd have to perform a miracle in convincing them OR move out. Both seem very hard, questionable and risky. As for joining the military, it's your life and you're an adult. Do what you want and they can't stop you. Just don't expect them to take you in when you come back from your four years or whatever, since you said they'd disown you.

I kinda want a gun too dude, because why not. But I live with my parents and I recognize that I have no power. I don't even think about asking them. Plus, I have little brothers and no safe place to store a gun. Whatever you do, DO NOT buy a gun behind their backs and hide it in their house without them knowing.

Gotoucanario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh, you can live without a gun

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

leave the house otherwise you won't convince them to let you own a gun

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#47  Edited By dshipp17

@lpnq said:

Let's get things sorted out before you guys jump on me.

I turned 18 not too long ago.

I'm not a dumb kid (NHS, Captain of ping pong club, I wrassle, graduating with high honors, and i'm physically fit so i can handle my self quite well)

I have been holding down a job and i dont spend my money on anything ; i'm very frugal.

My parents are very VERY liberal. They're extremely anti-military and anti-gun. Which i find ironic as they're racist and homophobic ( yeah wtf?)

The other day i brought up about joining the military as a personal challenge and to see who i really am as a person and they said "We'd disown you if you joined the marines"

I've brought up the idea of firearm safety classes to them and they shoot me down every time, will get extremely pissed if they even suspect me of looking at firearms for sale.

"Well, son why do you need a firearm?"

I live in FL. I want to hunt and i'd like to have one at home at all times. It's my right and as a firm supporter of the 2nd amendment i would like to obtain one. However my nazi parents are extreme goofs.

Ugh. Help me please. i know this sounds very stupid to ya'll as "there's other problems that are greater than yours etc."

Just do as your parents say, at least for the next four years, upon completion of college, hopefully; at that time, see how you feel; this is just that feeling that you get as a teenager at being told no, as an answer, and than feeling determined not to take no for an answer; take no for an answer and see how you feel in four years.

Avatar image for look_at_dis_duuude
Look_at_dis_duuude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, you might as well wait it out till you're older, and you're able to make your own decisions. You don't have to join the Navy or Seals or whatever just to spite your parents....that's ridiculous in my opinion (unless you really want to join them)

nickzambuto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tell them that you will become a gay African American if they don't give you a gun.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 97

Getting your own place is the most obvious solution. If they don't trust the captain of the ping pong club then they won't trust anyone.