How should I (or you) respond to bigotry (homophobia)?

• 88 results
Avatar image for deactivated-5c07a0327fd39
deactivated-5c07a0327fd39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

No Caption Provided

So I am a neuroscience student, who, for an assessment, made a video on YouTube discussing neurogenesis in the hippocampus for depressed patients. I'm also a gay guy and talk with a slightly effeminate voice.

Someone replied with (language) "[mod edit] kill yourself" which is ironic considering the aforementioned topic of depression.

I'm not offended- just perplexed how someone like that would wind up on such an esoteric field and respond with such vulgarness. I'm also a little worried that some people may not take me seriously in the workforce because of who I am.

I know this is a strange topic for ComicVine but I want my Viner's opinions.

Have you ever faced bigotry such as racism or sexism? How would/did you respond?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b5405244e89c
deactivated-5b5405244e89c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Memes

Avatar image for itouchedtheboat
ITouchedTheBoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I've been dealing with hate speech my whole life and I heard disrespectful comments about my race throughout my entire time in grade school (school was predominately white, and those kids loved making sure we remembered that). From what I can say based on my experience is as long as nobody is being physically hurt, or are being treated like a lesser being (not including stupid insults or offensive behaviour) there isn't a reason to acknowledge it. Just walk away or say something back that would leave them silent (I guess a witty response).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@itouchedtheboat: Still, it's disconcerting to think that people still judge others based on the amount of melanin in one's skin. I worry about humanity.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebcd5ad9fb95
deactivated-5ebcd5ad9fb95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I either, try to learn from them if they seem intelligent (never know if I'm the bigot), try to educate them if they seem willing to learn, ignore them if they are unwilling to learn, and avoid them if they are hateful.

conner_wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whenever somebody tells me "You can't give your opinion, you're white, male, straight, or cis and your opinion is invalid" I respond by telling them to go shove a cactus up their rear and continue doing whatever I was doing.

Or I get on them for assuming my race and sexuality.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I either, try to learn from them if they seem intelligent (never know if I'm the bigot), try to educate them if they seem willing to learn, ignore them if they are unwilling to learn, and avoid them if they are hateful.

Someone who says "go kill yourself" out of the blue seems pretty unwilling to engage in serious discourse.

Avatar image for deactivated-60fae469e992f
deactivated-60fae469e992f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ignore it, mostly. Thats your best policy. If it ends up as harassment, report them to HR or call the cops

Personally, somebody tells me I cant do something because I am white, a male or straight I usually do it out of principle just to spite them.

Avatar image for deactivated-614ce5c370323
deactivated-614ce5c370323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seeing as I'm a coward and don't like interactions much I'd either walk away or laugh and walk away.

Avatar image for deactivated-60fae469e992f
deactivated-60fae469e992f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gear4god said:

@itouchedtheboat: Still, it's disconcerting to think that people still judge others based on the amount of melanin in one's skin. I worry about humanity.

As a neuroscientist you must know about the role of oxytocin in racism and tribalism. Love leads to fear of the unknown and differences, and fear leads to hate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gear4god: Then ignore him unless he keeps coming back, then report him or whatever the proper precautions in that situation isl

Avatar image for deactivated-614ce5c370323
deactivated-614ce5c370323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You don't avoid me(much).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for itouchedtheboat
ITouchedTheBoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gear4god said:

As a neuroscientist you must know about the role of oxytocin in racism and tribalism. Love leads to fear of the unknown and differences, and fear leads to hate

yeah I figured this is what the reason was behind a lot of racism I used to face. A lot of the kids at my schools had never really seen a kid of my complexion before, the only time they really saw somebody like me was on the news or TV when somebody went to prison or in music videos that perpetuate a stereotype that we're all dangerous. It's a lack of understanding and a surplus of fear that make a lot of people think that different is bad.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just Laugh And Reply "Well Now Someone Has Their Trousers In A Bunch"

Avatar image for deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00
deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

From someone who has been discriminated against, just ignore them. Don't relegate yourself to their level of intellect.

mimisalome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mimisalome

Earn their respect and provide substantial contribution to society.

So instead of parading on the street high/drunk and half-naked doing disgusting acts of debauchery, become something like Alan Turing.

Honestly why do gay pride parades often looks like an disgusting act of public orgy?

Half-naked gay men in BDSM leathers or cosplaying Satan doing some suggestive humping-acts on the street

Why couldn't it be a parade of professional gay doctors, gay engineers, gay soldiers, gay scientists in their work uniforms instead?

KeenCraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By KeenCraft

@gear4god: Nothing is more dangerous than conscientious stupidity. Being a gay person you must have had many close encounters of the dumbest kind. It doesn't matter what field of study you partake; you will find pure, unbridled ignorance in all walks of life. The only thing you can do is await their eventual demise and hope they were kind enough to not reproduce, spreading the infection further.

I'm not offended- just perplexed how someone like that would wind up on such an esoteric field and respond with such vulgarness. I'm also a little worried that some people may not take me seriously in the workforce because of who I am.

Unfortunately many people arent going to take you seriously based on who you are. This is unavoidable however and usually has nothing to do with your sexuality. Prove your worth and intelligent people will respect your contributions. The unintelligent people do not matter.

Have you ever faced bigotry such as racism or sexism? How would/did you respond?

The majority of people on this planet have had to deal with bigotry (or sexism depending on your gender). I personally dont see it as a big deal.

However if someone were to approach me in this manner (in real life no internet), if I was in your shoes, I would tell them to be careful worrying so much about other people. They should be worried more about themselves before somebody catches them slipping. Dont divert your attention to irrelevant people.

Luellas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolutely. They gotta learn somehow. They won't learn by you staying quiet.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So instead of parading on the street high/drunk and half-naked doing disgusting acts of debauchery, become something like Alan Turing.

Honestly why do gay pride parades often looks like an disgusting act of public orgy?

Half-naked gay men in BDSM leathers or cosplaying Satan doing some suggestive humping-acts on the street

Why couldn't it be a parade of professional gay doctors, gay engineers, gay soldiers, gay scientists in their work uniforms instead?

In the video, I was discussing research into new treatment for depression. More specifically, focusing on drugs and psychological therapies which promote neurogenesis in the hippocampus. I think I come across as somewhat educated.

mimisalome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gear4god said:
@mimisalome said:

In the video, I was discussing research into new treatment for depression. More specifically, focusing on drugs and psychological therapies which promote neurogenesis in the hippocampus. I think I come across as somewhat educated.

Well good for you, and i believe that the society (and most of all your community) needs more gay people like you that will change the gay stereotype from pride parading exhibitionists into respectable professionals.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Revan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gear4god: There are several types of homophobes. (I used to be one of them) and similar to racists and there’s a couple ways you can deal with them. Disregard the trolls telling you to kill yourself. They’re insensitive assholes and arguing with them will only drag your IQ down a couple points. Simply disregard them. Then you have the pseudo-intellectuals, they will bring anti-gay pseudoscience to the table, best to engage them in a respectful manner whilst obliterating their points and such. And once they cry “liberal science” that’s when you leave. And finally the religious types are the worst. I honestly don’t know what to do with them.

Can you link to the video?

mimisalome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gear4god said:

@mimisalome: Ahem, Stephen Fry???

That's the issue, these kind of gay people are unheard off. Many people recognized gay pride parades as this

No Caption Provided

And it would be very dishonest to downplay this type of lgbt image because these are the ones that the public (specially the bigots) associates gay people more.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@revan-: I'd show you the video, but I don't want people to hear my gay voice. lol!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Revan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gear4god: Thanks. I’ll watch it.

Ultimately your homosexuality is completely natural, and anyone who chooses to discriminate/attack you because of it, isn’t worth the time of you, or anyone else with brain cells.

KeenCraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mimisalome:

This post is ignorant. I dont get it, is this supposed to be a generalization in riposte to his question? Its certainly written as one.

"So instead of parading on the street ...."

By typing "instead of" youre directly implying this dude would even propagate the notion of committing these actions. Why are you lecturing a person on what to do, when you don't have evidence of the person acting in such a manner?

Are you directing this question towards him because he was granted authority over all things gay? Lol he is not responsible for idiots, just as you and I are not responsible for straight idiots.

And uh, maybe because those gays are vacuous fools like any group that parades around acting brashly? Your question is easily answered, all it requires is some basic thinking skills.

Again why are you directing these questions to him lol? Also, why parade around at all over something trivial? Its pretty stupid and causes mob mentality. Protest is different, but those people (usually) have a clear purpose and this is not protest.

I have a question for you however. Why do some people operate on generalizations and fallacies? You apparently have been granted authority to represent all things fallacious.

KeenCraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well good for you, and i believe that the society (and most of all your community) needs more gay people like you that will change the gay stereotype from pride parading exhibitionists into respectable professionals

Lmfao is that a joke? You would admit to propagating stereotypes. There should be no necessity to "change" the gay stereotype, were people not lacking in common sense. The loud minority represent nothing. Hell even if the majority of gays were to do this, its still ignorant to assume preconceived notions.

mimisalome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mimisalome

@keencraft:

This post is ignorant. I dont get it, is this supposed to be a generalization in riposte to his question? Its certainly written as one.

By typing "instead of" youre directly implying this dude would even propagate the notion of committing these actions. Why are you lecturing a person on what to do, when you don't have evidence of the person acting in such a manner?

Why would it be ignorant? Are you ignoring the fact that many gay pride parade involves such display of sexual flamboyancy?

No its not a generalization, its an observation.

The same exact situation in which the OP asked the question, someone commented a bigoted remarks and he considers it as an issue that affects not just himself as a gay person but the entire people who experience discimination.

Now will count that as "generalization" too?

Are you directing this question towards him because he was granted authority over all things gay? Lol he is not responsible for idiots, just as you and I are not responsible for straight idiots.

And uh, maybe because those gays are vacuous fools like any group that parades around acting brashly? Your question is easily answered, all it requires is some basic thinking skills.

The OP asked for other viners opinions based on his observations.

I gave him my opinion and in turn asked a same relevant question based on my observation.

Thats how discussion is supposed to work.

Again why are you directing these questions to him lol? Also, why parade around at all over something trivial? Its pretty stupid and causes mob mentality. Protest is different, but those people (usually) have a clear purpose and this is not protest.

I have a question for you however. Why do some people operate on generalizations and fallacies? You apparently have been granted authority to represent all things fallacious.

Again why not?

OP asked a question based on his anecdotal, isolated, observation, in which he thinks affects or will be applicable to all people who experience bigotry and discrimination (specifically homophobia).

I just gave him my point few, with the same exact logical premise,

I raise my observation which i think is relevant and is a concern to his query and asked his opinions/answers about it.

Luellas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AbstractRaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By AbstractRaze
Loading Video...

mimisalome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By mimisalome

@luellas said:

@keencraft: Don't talk to him. He's not worth it

Not worth what?

Is my advise to his query wrong? is it wrong to say that earning respect and making contribution are good ways to fight bigotry and intolerance?

Is it wrong to point out that many stereotypes surrounding acts of bigotry and discriminations are based on observation?

The author of this post did the exact same thing.

Someone made a bigoted remarks, an observation that is anecdotal and isolated to his case and yet it warranted the creation of this entire thread about bigotry and homophobia .... expecting various types of people will be able to relate to his personal experience.

GoofTheFloof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By GoofTheFloof

Honestly, what happened was just a regular day on YouTube. This is a pointless thread tbh. I don’t mean this in a hateful way but this kind of stuff happens, you need to learn to deal with it on your own

Avatar image for deactivated-5b84aca03eae8
deactivated-5b84aca03eae8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've endured racism growing up and my advice on dealing with it is simple: ignore it/them.

This also applies to other forms of discrimination such as sexism and homophobia. Don't add fuel to the fire by trying to get even or making them stop because it's just not worth it. If what anything anybody tells you isn't beneficial to your well-being, just take it as it is and move on. Don't let the negative comments get in your head and bring you down because that's exactly what those types of people want you to feel.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

gamiz7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I also usually respond with passive aggressiveness, like when a racist tells me to go back to mexico, i respond with but were already in mexico or thank him for the suggestion and try to hug him, it usually weirds them out, though sometimes i cant control myself and angry

JOVIOLMA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By JOVIOLMA

Honestly if the person be nice with me I will be nice with her, don't matter if she is Gay, hetero, white, black, teen, old, or a being from the 10th dimension, respect is everything we need to live in harmony.

KeenCraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@luellas: Clearly you were right lol. He refuted nothing I said and proceeds to misconstrue the OPs question.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5b0a7ade504a7
deactivated-5b0a7ade504a7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I get a lot of people assuming I'm mean, dangerous or untrustworthy but I gotta put that shit on me. I own a mirror, I know exactly what I look & act like. All huge with scraggly waist long hair, a 10 inch beard all unkempt & disheveled with a very standoffish demeanor & a scowling resting face aka (The Murder Stare) always looking like I just got done burying a body but in reality I'm relatively harmless & actually a very nice guy.

JOVIOLMA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

KeenCraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mimisalome:

Why would it be ignorant? Are you ignoring the fact that many gay pride parade involves such display of sexual flamboyancy?

No its not a generalization, its an observation.

The same exact situation in which the OP asked the question, someone commented a bigoted remarks and he considers it as an issue that affects not just himself as a gay person but the entire people who experience discimination.

Now will count that as "generalization" too?

You failed to respond to what I said. Ignoratio Elenchi, another fallacy you commit- I never ignored gay pride parades, in fact I did the exact opposite. I must assume you cannot comprehend reading beyond the first paragraph.

Once again, let me reiterate, I asked how gay pride parades pertain to this dude in question. You will probably miss it again however.

The OP asked for other viners opinions based on his observations.

I gave him my opinion and in turn asked a same relevant question based on my observation.

Thats how discussion is supposed to work.

You responded to an anecdote with a fallacy. I then respond to your fallacy with a riposte. You then commit a second fallacy in response to me. I then respond accordingly

Yes that is how discussions work. We are now both discussing your fallacious response. Why point out the obvious?

Again why not?

OP asked a question based on his anecdotal, isolated, observation, in which he thinks affects or will be applicable to all people who experience bigotry and discrimination (specifically homophobia).

I just gave him my point few, with the same exact logical premise,

I raise my observation which i think is relevant and is a concern to his query and asked his opinions/answers about it.

He never mentioned holding the prerogative that all affects will be applicable to all people who experience bigotry and discrimination. This is you talking from thin air. However he is asking whehter other people who have experienced bigotry have encountered this and how to deal with it. You misconstrued the entire "anecdotal, isolated, observation" in the first place.

Noice lol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Take this for what it's worth as I'm straight and white. I've only ever been verbally assaulted for being a nerd in school and for being a soldier (you're a baby killer and such).

The best thing I've ever found to defuse a situation like the one you're talking about is to look at the person who's said it, give them a half sympathetic, half "wow, you're just a special kind of person aren't you look" that they won't know how to respond to...maybe shrug slightly, and walk away.

If I was there PERSONALLY seeing this happen I'd lay into the ass hat and make him cry a little bit, but that's the kind of person I am...I wouldn't recommend it. For you, and your life, the high ground is the best ground I think.

removekebab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By removekebab

I get called so many names I just stopped caring, or when I do react it's just to laugh it off. So should you.

KeenCraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By KeenCraft

@mimisalome:

@luellas said:

@keencraft: Don't talk to him. He's not worth it

Not worth what?

Is my advise to his query wrong? is it wrong to say that earning respect and making contribution are good ways to fight bigotry and intolerance?

Is it wrong to point out that many stereotypes surrounding acts of bigotry and discriminations are based on observation?

Someone made a bigoted remarks, an observation that is anecdotal and isolated to his case and yet it warranted the creation of this entire thread about bigotry and homophobia .... expecting various types of people will be able to relate to his personal experience.

More ignoratio elenchi. Nobody refuted your advice. Your advice is sound. Your digressing into nonsensical topics and stereotypes regarding gays and random gay groups is not however. Which I called out for ignorance. You still failed to refute anything so far.

You didnt point it out. You adhered to the observations/stereotypes by directing advice towards the OP based only on him being gay lol.

If you said something to the following effect of:

That guys demeanor towards gays is most likely being determined by stereotypes and observations of gay parades. Perhaps you should educate him that not all gays are like this marginal group.

THAT would be pointing it out.

No, he didnt.

Because unlike your response, there is some logic behind his anecdote and it is not isolated to him despite your personal belief.

If you were against this thread you should have simply responded with "the guy attacked you because your sexuality is unnatural" as this cannot be proven yet, studies notwithstanding.

Laiks Stake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Laiks Stake

By supporting closed borders so some religion of peace can't take over your country.