how long do you estimate humanity turning into a type 2 civilisation?

Darkthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

deltahuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even Type 1 will take hundreds of years. Type 2 will take several thousand. But that's not a huge amount of time anyway. I mean Jesus was born 2000 years ago. 2000 years from now. We will get halfway there. Progress in tech is exponential

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I think we could wipe ourselves out by then. If we want to get to type 1, we all need to work together. Every country. No wars to slow ourselves down.

I remember watching this video a few years ago.

Loading Video...

I personally Im not afraid of there being a type III civilisation. If anything I'd be excited to know if there was one. Like in the video, they theories about the Great Void possible harbouring a type III. Would be fun to know a species got there.

Darkthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supreme_marvel: the idea is kinda scary, because galaxy level power is a bit much looking at us right now. Even a dyson sphere on a star smaller than sun seems far fetched. Those type 3 aliens would have the power to move their solar systems with stellar engines, unlimited energy due to black holes and dyson sphere's/swarms etc

what type of civilisation do you think those mythical gods are?

Darkthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even Type 1 will take hundreds of years. Type 2 will take several thousand. But that's not a huge amount of time anyway. I mean Jesus was born 2000 years ago. 2000 years from now. We will get halfway there. Progress in tech is exponential

what about our doom? There's a lot of world ending events out there

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkthunder: I could imagine a type II.

I've thought for a long time, that there is an alien race watching us, just in case we mess up. That would help us if our population went to super low numbers. Like single digit % of what we are now.

I don't fear aliens like some people. If they're intelligent. Then war would be pointless to them. Because I don't see war as an intelligent thing. It's bullies fighting in school. I don't class bullies as intelligent. To me, if aliens did come here it would only be to extend a hand. However I don't think they would come until we sort ourselves out as a species. Right now we're pretty pathetic.

Avatar image for kryptonianking88
KryptonianKing88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't think we will or have the resources to

AbstractRaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AbstractRaze
@deltahuman said:

Technology is not everything, it's a matter of how you use this technology.

As a Heathen, we consider metal as something holly, we define "metal" either as weapons "our loyal companions" or tools that help us to overcome handicaps.

Metal stops being metal when such totally does the work for us, human effort can't be taken away from the equation, otherwise, it would end up being the outcome of a parasite and therefore human decadence.

We have to figure out how to make this technology be with us and not for us, even if we can endure better, move faster, think faster, never take away the sensation of becoming tired, physically and mentally.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

rajjarsalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By rajjarsalt

Lmao humans will go extinct before they manage to build a dyson sphere

Quinlan58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We never will.

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I don't fear aliens like some people. If they're intelligent. Then war would be pointless to them. Because I don't see war as an intelligent thing. It's bullies fighting in school. I don't class bullies as intelligent. To me, if aliens did come here it would only be to extend a hand. However I don't think they would come until we sort ourselves out as a species. Right now we're pretty pathetic.

I don't fear them but boy is that an optimistic view of aliens. If they are so advanced then it wouldn't be war necessarily. They might view humans as we do ants. It's not exactly a war when you step on an ant hill.

I think of the film Signs and the boy reading from his alien book...

"He said there are two reason why extraterrestrials would visit us. To make contact in the spirit of exploration and furthering the knowledge of the universe, or the other reason... they're hostile. They've used up all the resources on their planet, and they're looking to harvest our planet next."

Avatar image for teaganwallis193
teaganwallis193

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe a couple of months

Chaos Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Imo a Return of Industrialization similar to the early 1900s will be more realistic the way the Super Powers are heading for a shown down.

Darkthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rajjarsalt: pessimist. Its possible if we take the whole solar system's resources. What do you think of stellar engines? Alderson disks?

Darkthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkthunder: I could imagine a type II.

I've thought for a long time, that there is an alien race watching us, just in case we mess up. That would help us if our population went to super low numbers. Like single digit % of what we are now.

intereting. But if we have not seen even a single sign of them, I think they aren't advanced. Maybe they're almost as new as us or aliens don't have human like brains and are basically animals

Darkthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

earth doesn't. The whole solar system and asteroid belt is waiting to be plundered

rajjarsalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rajjarsalt: pessimist. Its possible if we take the whole solar system's resources. What do you think of stellar engines? Alderson disks?

I think draining fuel from stars would be infinitely more cost effective than building massive superstructures around it. Where would we even find all that metal?

Darkthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkthunder said:

I think draining fuel from stars would be infinitely more cost effective than building massive superstructures around it. Where would we even find all that metal?

The whole solar system and asteroid belt is waiting to be plundered. I think even covering one fourth of the sun with a dyson swarm would give us enough energy. I might be wrong tho

deltahuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By deltahuman

@darkthunder:

I am taking the best case scenario here of course. If we don't kill ourselves through war, or don't go extinct by a virus/superbug or a catastrophic natural event.

If we get to Type1 before we die out as a species and build a few self sustaining colonies in a few other planetey bodies, it would be really hard for nature to kill us. We'd have enough tech to preserve us in some form.

But then again, this Kardaschev Scale classification isn't absolute. This is just an estimate. Scientists have come up with better scales. There is one scale that ditches the concept of energy use and talks about how deeply we merge with tech. For instance Type 1 will have tech augmenting the species. But Type 2 will merge with Tech itself and be indistinguishable from it. That certainly changes things a lot. Now you don't even know what human beings will look like a few thousand years later.

Personally I believe we will augment and then merge ourselves with tech sooner than we colonize the galaxy. That way things will change. Our whole understanding of reality, existence and purpose might change. Our form might change. So this Kardaschev Scale is just a nominal scale that measures a civilisation's advancement. You can't be sure where civilisation stands even a few hundred years into the future. We are one revolutionary new theory or invention away from radical change.

And besides all that, there's the Fermi Paradox. Where are the other galactic civilizations? Why do we not see or find any evidence of anyone else, not a symbol, sign or memorabilia, not even a record or evidence of their existence and demise, no sign of any artificial engineering, no visits. There are some estimates and calculations that show how a civilisation almost never becomes Type 2, it just spreads to a few nearby bodies and dies out before it becomes truly galactic. There is also the anthropic principle, discussing how rare formation of life actually is and the fact that we might be alone. So it's hard to predict these things. It's better they remain as a guiding beacon, as a goal for us to achieve. But there can never really be an accurate forecast of our own future

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@irishx said:

I don't fear them but boy is that an optimistic view of aliens. If they are so advanced then it wouldn't be war necessarily. They might view humans as we do ants. It's not exactly a war when you step on an ant hill.

I think of the film Signs and the boy reading from his alien book...

"He said there are two reason why extraterrestrials would visit us. To make contact in the spirit of exploration and furthering the knowledge of the universe, or the other reason... they're hostile. They've used up all the resources on their planet, and they're looking to harvest our planet next."

What can I say, I'm an optimist. The way I see that type of thing. Its like when an adult raises a child. You know they don't know any better, but you try your best to raise them. I can imagine us humans as babies, or children to their aliens being of adult intellect.

I love alien horror movies, alien disaster movies. But Im not the type of person to follow something I see on television. I will always, and have, made up my own thoughts about something or someone. I would never allow someone to tell me what to think about anyone. I will figure that out myself. I love Signs too. One of M, Knight's best films I think I have it above Six Sense, but below Last Airbender [XD].

I just don't see why an alien species with advanced tech would go throughout the galaxy, come here and try to take over or wipe us out. Im sure they know how empty it is out there. If they have advance tech, they might very well have a terraformer. Be able to make a planet with no habitat their own.

If we finally advance enough to have technology that can travel the galaxy in short time. If we see an alien species much like our own now, would we want to take it over? Or would we try and communicate and lend assistance?

I personally like how Arrival did it.

Mortein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If we hit technical singularity and survive, it might be no more than a century or two.

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Give it a few days

We havent quite perfected hull polerization at high speeds yet

AbstractRaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kryptonianking88 said:

earth doesn't. The whole solar system and asteroid belt is waiting to be plundered

To put it in perspective, not even the entire mass of the solar system would be enough to build a Dyson Sphere.

No Caption Provided

Alone getting near to Jupiter would be deadly and would render any industrial machinery useless, asteroids are scratch for such a project.

AbstractRaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AbstractRaze
@mortein said:

If we hit technical singularity and survive, it might be no more than a century or two.

To begin with, I don't think that technical singularity is a plausible theory, it's way too hyped.

Technical singularity is defined by the moment when artificial intelligence surpasses human intelligence and when that happens, humanity's significance will collapse and the species as a whole will face extinction, therefore all what our ancestry ever did, including we right now, all our sacrifices will lose significance and be forgotten once this happens, that's why people like Ray Kurzweil must immediately get arrested and confine them to life sentence or killed, because those scientists are a danger to our human existence, it are scientist that are going the wrong technological path, they can be considered as terrorists or as inhumane entities.

Technology is meant to someday amp our intellectual and physical capabilities and not to replace us, a machine alone will never progress by itself as long there is no one with ambitions. After humanity's extinction, this hypothetical machine will reach high amounts of intelligence and at some point, it will lose a real existential purpose because it's not a humane entity, it only wants to keep living and it will optimize itself by traveling more efficiently from one solar system to another and that's all, therefore remaining stagnant.

Ambition is a pattern found on intelligent organic units, such as humans, lions, whales, elephants, wolfs, etc..., we all seek for higher status and that's what a machine will never have because it doesn't feel any sort of pain, joy, fear, pride, love, anger, etc..., it's an entity of pure calculation and blunt optimization without good or bad intentions, it doesn't have targets, desires or aspiration.

PS:

This hypothetical machine lacks the initiative because it doesn't have a sentimental relationship, it doesn't have anything that pushes it, it doesn't have the need to sacrifice itself for others, it's an entity without vulnerabilities, it doesn't feel tired or bored, while we as humans, we're complementary to each other in a collective manner while maintaining our individualism.

We passionately enroot ourselves to our close relatives, to the neighborhood, to our state and finally to our nation and therefore our culture and history.