• 43 results
#1 Posted by DarthVxder (1034 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm doing research for an oral presentation I have to give in one of my college classes and I chose the topic "How would the world be better if religion never existed?". Of course I'm doing my own research but there are some smart people on this site too who might know a thing or two about the subject.

Please no fights about religion. I'm looking for anything that has been caused, influenced or justified because of religious reasons that has caused any type of damage. It can be war, oppression, unlawful things, stalling certain scientific fields from developing or just about anything that you feel made humanity take a step back or held it back from taking a step forward. Also if you can mention extinct religions or smaller ones, not just the bigger ones like christianity, muslim, judaism, etc. that would be awesome.

AGAIN please no fighting, this is not to debate which religion is better or worse but to gather information.

#2 Posted by Spambot (9439 posts) - - Show Bio

Go look at pretty much all history in Europe, Africa and the middle east from 700-1700. Most all the bad stuff was due to religion.

#3 Edited by Aimless (2047 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh,wars and genocide would still have happened without religion.It's just that religion is a very effective tool for recruiting and funding said wars.

I mean,in the past century,two world wars and the Holocaust happened,without the aid of religion.Isis pales in comparison to the deaths caused by purely political wars in the past 100 years.

Honestly,religion has been used to invoke violence many times,but let's not try to act like there wouldn't be an equal amount of bloodshed without religion.

#4 Edited by just_sayin (3466 posts) - - Show Bio

Negatively-

1) Some wars such as the crusades - but in fairness atheists such as Stalin, Mao and Pol Pot have killed a lot of people too for their causes.

2) Societal restrictions on women - such as women having to wear a burqa, property being passed only to the male. In fairness though religion gave or at least popularized consensual marriage.

3) Burning of books and restrictions on accessing some materials for education. But it is also responsible for helping many people to read, and providing many of the schools and colleges around the world. Most schools in the early US were religious ones.

4) Misuse of monies and funds. There are numerous examples of clergy misusing money. However, religion has done more to help feed, clothe, and educate the poor than any government agency.

5) Religion has hindered scientific progress - examples are Galileo and the Scopes trial. However, lots of science has been done in the name of religion - Newton being a great example.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a2b0053414c5
#5 Posted by deactivated-5a2b0053414c5 (8165 posts) - - Show Bio

The most notable, and probably easiest one to cover for a report, would to look at what transpired through "The Crusades"

Avatar image for benjamin_poindexter
#6 Posted by Benjamin_Poindexter (947 posts) - - Show Bio

The negative effects of religion are very well documented. As far as the present day goes, just look at the daily news. It's 80% of what's wrong with the world.

#7 Posted by decaf_wizard (17006 posts) - - Show Bio

Islam and Christianity are two of the main issues with the world at the moment

Avatar image for captain_inverse
#8 Posted by captain_inverse (2354 posts) - - Show Bio

@darthvxder: Is this a essay on ALL religion or were you focusing on certain ones? cause, to my knowledge, people like Buddhists don't really cause trouble for anyone; where as other religions have a long & violent history.

with all the "bad" that religion carries with it, Religion takes certain powers OUT of the hands of political leaders. Hence why N. America's declaration says

"that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

Imagine an America where instead of saying people are given their rights by their creator & instead it's saying we're given rights by the Government. (which the government leaders like trump/hilary have priorities & ideals that change from president to president)

#9 Posted by CitizenSentry (12121 posts) - - Show Bio

No Caption Provided

/THREAD.

#10 Posted by dshipp17 (5525 posts) - - Show Bio
Loading Video...

Loading Video...

Loading Video...

Loading Video...

#11 Posted by CitizenSentry (12121 posts) - - Show Bio

@dshipp17 said:
Loading Video...

Are you trying to Imply that religion gave us science?

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
#12 Posted by MarvelandDCfan24 (7537 posts) - - Show Bio

The crusades, Islam in the middle east is pretty fed up in regards to women and tolerance of other religons, the holocaust Hitler hated Jews, religion kind of hinders advancement within society kind of like what it did to Europe before the Renaissance and today especially with Science as the 2 don't agree with each other

#13 Edited by CitizenSentry (12121 posts) - - Show Bio

The crusades, Islam in the middle east is pretty fed up in regards to women and tolerance of other religons, the holocaust Hitler hated Jews, religion kind of hinders advancement within society kind of like what it did to Europe before the Renaissance and today especially with Science as the 2 don't agree with each other

I wouldn't worry about it too much.

The worlds fastest growing "religion" is Atheism. We're already 1.1 billion strong, just gotta convert the rest now.

#14 Edited by dshipp17 (5525 posts) - - Show Bio
@dshipp17 said:
Loading Video...

Not religion, Christianity, as the video lays out; the dark ages is a rebut myth that keeps getting circulated, despite being debunked.

#15 Posted by _Logos_ (1911 posts) - - Show Bio

@aimless said:

Eh,wars and genocide would still have happened without religion.It's just that religion is a very effective tool for recruiting and funding said wars.

I mean,in the past century,two world wars and the Holocaust happened,without the aid of religion.Isis pales in comparison to the deaths caused by purely political wars in the past 100 years.

Honestly,religion has been used to invoke violence many times,but let's not try to act like there wouldn't be an equal amount of bloodshed without religion.

Just because war and death would've happened without religion in the past anyways doesn't mean religion hasn't caused unnecessary and cruel wars and deaths in the past, negatively affecting the world. Also there wouldn't have been an equal amount of war and bloodshed if the world was without religion, because many wars in the past have happened exclusively because of faith inspired raids. One negative effect of religion that is especially tied with religion is enslaving people to superstitions that don't make any sense and stopping people from thinking critically for the sake of upholding traditions and passing on the same ridiculous ideas that they believe in.

#16 Posted by Bardock52 (262 posts) - - Show Bio

In several ways,

#17 Posted by Lunacyde (28253 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, a lot of conflicts have been religiously based. The Crusades, the Thirty-Years War, French Wars of Religion, Muslim Conquest of India, Bangladesh Liberation War, more recently the Northern Ireland Conflict, Palestine and Israel Conflict, spread of ISIS, and so on.

Then there is religious persecution as we saw in the Inquisitions (Medieval, Spanish, Portuguese, Roman, etc), witch hunts, persecution of Christians by Rome, Hitler's Final Solution, etc.

Then we have religion being used as a justification for conquest, subjugation, and slavery of indigenous peoples, such as the Spanish in Central/South America, and later the United States and to a lesser degree Canada.

Of course none of this is meant to be an exhaustive account. There has indeed been much suffering and evil done in the name of religion, yet there has also been much violence and evil that is not religiously affiliated. In fact, if you look at the majority of historical conflict it was not in fact religiously motivated. However, that does not mean that religion has not had a negative impact. This is quite the complex issue. Religions can also be attributed with many benefits to society, and we should be careful to bear in mind how we define and categorize what is and is not considered religious as well. I would suggest that you approach the paper with an open mind and capture the true complexity of answering such a question.

#18 Posted by Lunacyde (28253 posts) - - Show Bio

@darthvxder: Is this a essay on ALL religion or were you focusing on certain ones? cause, to my knowledge, people like Buddhists don't really cause trouble for anyone; where as other religions have a long & violent history.

with all the "bad" that religion carries with it, Religion takes certain powers OUT of the hands of political leaders. Hence why N. America's declaration says

"that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

Imagine an America where instead of saying people are given their rights by their creator & instead it's saying we're given rights by the Government. (which the government leaders like trump/hilary have priorities & ideals that change from president to president)

I would suggest that is an inaccurate reading of the Declaration of Independence. Removing "creator" from the text does not inherently change the meaning. In fact the term "unalienable rights" precludes the possibility of the rights being given by the government. Religion is not necessary for the concept of natural or unalienable rights to exist. It could just as easily say "that they are born with certain unalienable rights".

Avatar image for redxiii18881990
#19 Posted by Redxiii18881990 (1574 posts) - - Show Bio

@captain_inverse: if you are trying to say Buddhism is devoid of violence, you'd be wrong.

#20 Posted by Redxiii18881990 (1574 posts) - - Show Bio

@lunacyde: when you say the Northern Ireland conflict, I assume you mean what is known as the "troubles"? Because that wasn't religious in nature, though had a sectarian dimension to it.

#21 Posted by _Logos_ (1911 posts) - - Show Bio

@dshipp17 said:
@citizensentry said:
@dshipp17 said:
Loading Video...

Not religion, Christianity, as the video lays out; the dark ages is a rebut myth that keeps getting circulated, despite being debunked.

Christianity is just everything having to do with the core principles of the religion of Christians or at least the vast majority of them including the people, its only one of many factors that led us to the modern scientific revolution, but its important to note that faith itself or belief in supernatural forces has not at all been helpful to science, it can only counteract it by jumping to conclusions before seeing any evidence for it. Those who have made important scientific discoveries using faith as a motivation have only been able to find a piece of the answer for what they were trying to deduce, and usually filling in the gaps of what they do not know with something else that they have no clue of what it is.

#22 Posted by captain_inverse (2354 posts) - - Show Bio

@lunacyde: your right, but it was still written that a persons rights were afforded to them by a higher power than the man (government) . Yes, they can just as easily say "that they are born with certain unalienable rights" I just feel with/when any government that changes its leader, so to can many of their rights/laws. (kinda generalizing beyond the states too)

@redxiii18881990: I did not know that, they just always kinda portrayed/seemed pretty passive to me. With regards to the Irish conflict I believe lunacyle is referring to the protestants/catholics in Ireland

#23 Posted by Redxiii18881990 (1574 posts) - - Show Bio

@captain_inverse: yeah Buddhism has its violent past as well.

I gathered that is what lunacyde was referring to, but it was never a catholic/Protestant thing. It was mostly political, with as I mentioned a sectarian dimension in it. A lot of people just assume Protestants wanted to stay in the U.K. Under the queens rule, and Catholics wanted to be a free country. But it's not as simple as that, and Protestants have fought for a free Ireland and some even were assassinated by the UDA.

#24 Posted by CitizenSentry (12121 posts) - - Show Bio

That moment when you call the Dark Ages a myth. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

#25 Posted by SirFizzWhizz (37749 posts) - - Show Bio

People bashing religion due to Dark Ages have little knowledge in how Religion saved science and promoted peace for Europe. When rome fell, there was no higharchy or knowledge saved. Monks and churches were the only sources to promote knowledge, and hold onto the science of Rome. Without religion, the west would not be what it is at all. Religion was also what kept Western kingdoms from needless infighting out of fear of excommunication or damnation in some way from God.

The crusades are not Christianity fault either. Muslim expansion played a huuuuuge role in that too people. Both sides wanted the crusades in some fashion.

#26 Posted by Doofasa (2173 posts) - - Show Bio

People claiming religion saved science are sadly misinformed.

The history of persecution of scientists and scientific theory/fact being undermined by religion (especially when it is disparate to doctrine) is long and well documented.

To answer the question:

1) War: Religion has been the cause in many and a factor in many more.

2) Suppression of Science.

3) Oppression and subjugation of women, people of different faiths/beliefs, minority groups such as the LGBT community.

4) Fear mongering on a global scale.

5) Institutionalisation of something that apparently transcends institutions.

Avatar image for dextersinister1
#27 Posted by Dextersinister1 (1257 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably not, when people say whether Religion held people back they are trying to make the same mistake of saying if communism was done right it would work. They are trying enact there own idealistic fantasies of how things would play out.

You would need some sort of magical altering force to work on this hypothetical scenario of no religion, to remove these thoughts from peoples head before they can act on them and then do you expect all these people to act out like robots and make a utopian society? but it wouldn't work like that, people are not robots, they need motivation and a reason to start doing things.

History is full of reasons to unite behind and religion is a major one of them, even though we tend to focus on the negative divides. Tell a lone peasant to spend years learning to build a tools to help in a field and he dies from starvation. Have a bunch of peasants united and they can support a group of peasants to make tools.

But on the divide this thread will have examples of it. Despite there claim of not being religious atheists do identify as atheist and can often be emotional in there response to religion and defense of it, they will still show the negative sides of having a set of beliefs.

@lunacyde: when you say the Northern Ireland conflict, I assume you mean what is known as the "troubles"? Because that wasn't religious in nature, though had a sectarian dimension to it.

Correct it had no religious elements. The troubles where more or less between descendants of the native Irish and the Settlers. Your religion was only used as an identifying marker.

Even when it does have religious elements there is always a heavy political element. Attacks by followers of Islam frequently target France because of it's history in the middle east.

#28 Posted by TinyFord (467 posts) - - Show Bio

Look at every single war ever and realise that they were all stopped because of religion.

Religion never ever started a single war it was the faulty men participating in the religion that caused the bad.

Take the crusades caused by Catholics, it was not set forward due to christianity. ISIS is not islamic but men faulty in religion.

That's a way for you to look at all the good religion has done in the world so far

Avatar image for supremegeneration
#29 Posted by SupremeGeneration (11922 posts) - - Show Bio

The Crusades immediately come to mind. Christianity was once used as an excuse for slavery, so that's definitely a point that could be touched upon. 9/11 would probably count as a negative effect.

#30 Edited by cattlebattle (17727 posts) - - Show Bio

I always like how people tend to blame wars solely on religion. As if politics and personal motivations (revenge, expansion, wealth etc.) had nothing to do with it. Also, when a country or Empire goes to war, it's the political elite who demand it and the military who carries it out, which comprises roughly a small percentage of a nations population. I am just sayin' when Michelangelo painted the creation of Adam, he wasn't thinking of how great it would look on a battle flag or anything, he was just motivated by what he believed in.

I am sure not every religous person is secretly wishing death upon everyone and everything. In fact, highly religous communities probably have more social cohesion and are overall happier than supposedly "morally superior" atheist, non secular people living in a community.

Avatar image for major_hellstrom
#31 Edited by Major_Hellstrom (17909 posts) - - Show Bio

Most of these aren't true. The post above is correct. Most people fought for personal gain and were tricked by "religous leaders" who only wanted power (religon is the easiest tool to trick people, you can promise literally anything forever and personally deliver nothing and people would still follow). Salvery was never caused by religon, it was only a lame excuse for it. Also the "Christian dark ages" is an unsupported theory people blindly believe in.

#32 Posted by Major_Hellstrom (17909 posts) - - Show Bio

That moment when you call the Dark Ages a myth. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

They dark ages were real, but it wasn't caused by religon (which IMO is a great tool to progress society whether true or not).

#33 Edited by Major_Hellstrom (17909 posts) - - Show Bio

@citizensentry said:
said:

The worlds fastest growing "religion" is Atheism. We're already 1.1 billion strong, just gotta convert the rest now.

Source for thsi claim? Last time I checked Islam was the fastest growing religon

Islam is growing faster than any other religion, according to a study by the Pew Research Center. In fact, most of the world's major religious groups are expected to rise in absolute numbers by 2050, the research finds, with Islam set to overtake Christianity and become the world’s dominant religion by 2070.

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2016/05/fastest-growing-major-religion/

And

The report also said that Muslims form the fastest-growing religious group in the world. From 2010 to 2050, their population is estimated to grow by 73 percent, according to the report.

http://www.firstpost.com/world/islam-will-become-largest-religion-in-the-world-if-current-demographic-trends-continue-pew-report-3313292.html

Also this websites say there are 1.1 billion non-theists, not atheist (could be agnostic or something else).

#34 Posted by HeroUp2112 (18328 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm doing research for an oral presentation I have to give in one of my college classes and I chose the topic "How would the world be better if religion never existed?". Of course I'm doing my own research but there are some smart people on this site too who might know a thing or two about the subject.

Please no fights about religion. I'm looking for anything that has been caused, influenced or justified because of religious reasons that has caused any type of damage. It can be war, oppression, unlawful things, stalling certain scientific fields from developing or just about anything that you feel made humanity take a step back or held it back from taking a step forward. Also if you can mention extinct religions or smaller ones, not just the bigger ones like christianity, muslim, judaism, etc. that would be awesome.

AGAIN please no fighting, this is not to debate which religion is better or worse but to gather information.

Hopefully...I think...You're looking for things you might be able to use in your paper, rather than blanket statements for/against religons being bad or good. I'll try to provide some examples that may support your thesis. Mind you I'm Christian, but that doesn't matter in the scope of your paper.

Again, these are rhetorical arguments that you are trying to prove, not necessarily MY opinion:

1. Religion promotes tribalism. Many, but not all, religions adhere to the idea that the collective of their religion is inclusive and are insular (ie non proselytizing) religions such as Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism, etc, or require initiation or conversion like most proselytizing religions, Christianity, Islam, etc, there is almost always the idea that anyone not belonging to said religion is considered the "other". This has long been thought to be yet another separator of peoples.

2. Religion anchors believers to the Iron Age. Fortunately, cooler and wiser heads have prevailed, but pretty much all of the religions that were being practiced back then (which is a great many of the modern religions), had provisions for slavery, mistreatment of women, racism, violence for the sake of the Divine, and more. Thankfully, for the most part most religious adherents have evolved past this (I believe there are many reasons for this but we're not getting into my philosophies, just arguments that support the thesis).

3. Religions seek power. (I might classify this one as churches seek power, actually). Very often, all too often, churches seek not only spiritual power, but real world power as well. It would take much less than a Google search to find hundreds and hundreds of churches of many faiths that spend donation money and/or seem to have abused their (in the US at least) tax exempt status to inflate the "churches" standing and status well past what they do for their flock or those in need. Some even have clergy members involved (directly or indirectly) in affairs of state.

That's all I've got, just trying to help, and provide a more even keel that what I've been noticing here.

#35 Posted by DementorDad (107 posts) - - Show Bio

@darthvxder:

Religion, like any belief, doesn't actually do anything. People who want a reason to kill other people will find one. People who want to find a reason to take care of other people will do so. If people want to find a belief that allows them to ignore the rights of some people but also reinforce positive social behaviors with others, they will do so. It's why addicts tend to do well in religious programs, they replace one obsession with another. You'll also find them in hardcore political groups and neighborhood organizations. Self-righteousness doesn't need a god or priesthood to empower it.

#36 Edited by dshipp17 (5525 posts) - - Show Bio

@lunacyde said:

Well, a lot of conflicts have been religiously based. The Crusades, the Thirty-Years War, French Wars of Religion, Muslim Conquest of India, Bangladesh Liberation War, more recently the Northern Ireland Conflict, Palestine and Israel Conflict, spread of ISIS, and so on.

Then there is religious persecution as we saw in the Inquisitions (Medieval, Spanish, Portuguese, Roman, etc), witch hunts, persecution of Christians by Rome, Hitler's Final Solution, etc.

Then we have religion being used as a justification for conquest, subjugation, and slavery of indigenous peoples, such as the Spanish in Central/South America, and later the United States and to a lesser degree Canada.

Of course none of this is meant to be an exhaustive account. There has indeed been much suffering and evil done in the name of religion, yet there has also been much violence and evil that is not religiously affiliated. In fact, if you look at the majority of historical conflict it was not in fact religiously motivated. However, that does not mean that religion has not had a negative impact. This is quite the complex issue. Religions can also be attributed with many benefits to society, and we should be careful to bear in mind how we define and categorize what is and is not considered religious as well. I would suggest that you approach the paper with an open mind and capture the true complexity of answering such a question.

Some fun facts about the Crusades and Inquisitions.

Loading Video...

Loading Video...

#37 Posted by Beast_mode999 (2588 posts) - - Show Bio

European logic.

"Look at these savage with their primitively technology... let's share our religion rather than our advances in science".

#38 Posted by Skrskr (3538 posts) - - Show Bio

On YouTube you can find Neil degrasse and Richard dawkins talking about how the muslim world once ruled in math in science before letting religious leaders spur growth and frown upon the studies.

#39 Posted by CitizenSentry (12121 posts) - - Show Bio

@citizensentry said:
said:

Source for thsi claim? Last time I checked Islam was the fastest growing religon

http://anonhq.com/recent-study-worlds-fastest-growing-religion-no-religion/

#40 Posted by CitizenSentry (12121 posts) - - Show Bio

@citizensentry said:

They dark ages were real, but it wasn't caused by religon (which IMO is a great tool to progress society whether true or not).

One of the main causes was the fall of the Holy Roman Empire this left a power/holy vacuum which had multiple religions coming in. This in turn stopped the advancement of science due to the rebuilding efforts as well as multiple religions all deeming science as the devil's work.

#41 Posted by dshipp17 (5525 posts) - - Show Bio

@major_hellstorm said:
@citizensentry said:
said:

Some food for thought.

Loading Video...

Loading Video...

Atheists losing ground as Christianity surges: According to worldwide statistics

#42 Posted by CitizenSentry (12121 posts) - - Show Bio

@dshipp17 said:
@citizensentry said:
@major_hellstorm said:
@citizensentry said:
said:

Some food for thought.

Loading Video...

Atheists losing ground as Christianity surges: According to worldwide statistics

No Caption Provided

That was from 2016.

No Caption Provided

That was from 2012.

Nothing has changed in the last 5 years.

#43 Posted by dshipp17 (5525 posts) - - Show Bio
@dshipp17 said:
@citizensentry said:
@major_hellstorm said:
@citizensentry said:
said:

Some food for thought.

Loading Video...

No Caption Provided

That was from 2016.

No Caption Provided

That was from 2012.

Nothing has changed in the last 5 years.

That's fine, but my implicit point was that the statics of 1.3 billion atheist is wrong, because you'rte grouping others into the atheist/agnostic crowd; professed atheists may not be that large, but, if so, the numbers are because of the Asian places; however, in terms of global spread, atheists are a small group and it's been consistently small.

#44 Posted by CitizenSentry (12121 posts) - - Show Bio

@dshipp17:

That's fine, but my implicit point was that the statics of 1.3 billion atheist is wrong, because you'rte grouping others into the atheist/agnostic crowd; professed atheists may not be that large, but, if so, the numbers are because of the Asian places; however, in terms of global spread, atheists are a small group and it's been consistently small.

Not once did i say 1.3 billion Atheists. I did however say 1.1 billion.

I even provided a link to the website where i got those numbers from.

in terms of global spread, atheists are a small group and it's been consistently small.

I'm fairly certain that Islam is a small group in papa new guinea, but they are still a huge religious group.

Using that argument is just wrong on so many levels.

"Oh they're big in Asia but that doesn't matter because they're not big all over the world".....

#45 Posted by DarthVxder (1034 posts) - - Show Bio

@heroup2112: I actually hadnt thought of tribalism so you post probably helped me the most. Also yes, I will try to write an objective paper. I think bashing religion is as progressive as being a religious fanatic.

@lunacyde: Going into it with an open mind is the plan. Im trying to show religion objectively and how its been used throughout history wether good or bad rather than the follow without asking questions mentality most want you to have. Most people in Puerto Rico are religious and most schools are aswell yet they only show what they want you to see to push their agenda Hopefully I dont sound like Im saying religion=bad and no religion=good since thats not what Im trying to get across.

@captain_inverse:Yes its all religion, I felt that would give me plenty of material to work with.

#46 Posted by Major_Hellstrom (17909 posts) - - Show Bio

@citizensentry: Most scientists at the time were religous, also that would have still happened without religon (not like the Bible or any holy book really said to hunt witches or kill your fellow men from what I know).

#47 Posted by Pipxeroth (9302 posts) - - Show Bio

This doesn't need it's own thread.

Also lol at the people who still think that the dark ages was some period of time where civilisation didn't progress at all because of Christianity.

#48 Posted by ASGARDIANBRONY (11629 posts) - - Show Bio

the crusades were a DEFENSIVE measure against Islamic invasion which had swept across the middle east and taken over Israel. people like to forget Islam was r*ping and pillaging across the middle east and north Africa, trying to get into Europe.

Also lol at the people who still think that the dark ages was some period of time where civilisation didn't progress at all because of Christianity.

^this! anyone with some knowledge on the period should know Christianity wasn't the problem, the dark ages resulted when Rome fell to the barbarian tribes and most knowledge was lost.

#49 Posted by Pipxeroth (9302 posts) - - Show Bio

@asgardianbrony: Well it's not even that simple. Most historians don't accept the modern idea of 'the dark ages' as fact anyway, there was quite a large amount of scientific and cultural advancement during the middle ages. In fact, it's the time period where proper written punctuation became a thing. The idea that 'most knowledge was lost' is simply an outdated myth.

#50 Posted by captain_inverse (2354 posts) - - Show Bio

@darthvxder: perhaps discuss the entitlement Americans felt when they decided it was their providential right to call their ousting of native tribes & mexicans during their "Manifest Destiny" off their land to seize the majority of N. America. While there was a number of reasons contributing to the US government occupying more & more territory; religion was their right/justification and it was the religion of Native tribes that they were fixated on snuffing out.

I also suggest The Hundred Years war, which in & of itself was religiously based, on top of which was Joan. (Maid of Orleans)