• 77 results
#1 Posted by BrazenLake4946 (108 posts) - - Show Bio

For example: You're (White) date or dated somebody of color (Black, Indian, etc), and you decide one day you're going to bring them to your folk's home for them to meet. How did or does your family react to this? Do they not care at all about this? Or do they freak out in racist, radical, related behavior?

Avatar image for mylittlefascist
#2 Edited by MyLittleFascist (31134 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't care

Avatar image for deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00
#3 Edited by deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00 (10000 posts) - - Show Bio

They wouldn't mind, infact they might welcome the idea

Avatar image for deactivated-59d0376931207
#4 Edited by deactivated-59d0376931207 (449 posts) - - Show Bio

It doesn't, and shouldn't, matter in the slightest.

#5 Posted by DSTREET45 (5223 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't care

#6 Posted by MainJP (5771 posts) - - Show Bio

My family sees nothing wrong with the idea of dating another human being.

#7 Posted by Chris-Sama (3624 posts) - - Show Bio

I get picked on because I love white girls.

#8 Posted by juiceboks (24638 posts) - - Show Bio

My dad doesn't care, but my mom would prefer me not to date a White woman and I don't really blame her tbh.

Avatar image for staticspeedster
#9 Posted by StaticSpeedster (2327 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't mind.

#10 Posted by decaf_wizard (16727 posts) - - Show Bio

My dad doesn't care, but my mom would prefer me not to date a White woman and I don't really blame her tbh.

Is your mom mildly racist?

#11 Posted by ANTHP2000 (24858 posts) - - Show Bio

Dad's slightly a racist due to all the stuff going on lately, but he wouldn't mind at all.

#12 Posted by jb681131 (3043 posts) - - Show Bio

@brazenlake4946: To be clear and technical, we are all the same race: Homo Sapiens. All the other Human races are nowadays extinguished: Homo erectus, Homo neanderthalensis, ....

#13 Posted by Prezilla (674 posts) - - Show Bio

They wouldn't care

#14 Edited by juiceboks (24638 posts) - - Show Bio

@decaf_wizard: I wouldn't say so, she just doesn't think that a White woman would be the best fit for me for a serious relationship..specifically an American White woman. Which I agree with.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
#15 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (17920 posts) - - Show Bio

My mom is ok with whoever I like as long as she makes me happy aND isn't s mess but their is part of her that seems a little but resentful that I'm nm haven't liked more black women.

#16 Edited by decaf_wizard (16727 posts) - - Show Bio

@juiceboks said:

@decaf_wizard: I wouldn't say so, she just doesn't think that a White woman would be the best fit for me for a serious relationship..specifically an American White woman. Which I agree with.

So you would decline to date (roughly) 36.3% of the population of America.....by virtue of them not having the same skin colour as you......jesus are we in the 1960's again?

Are people these days are really so shallow that they let such a petty thing such as melanin, or less than 0.1% genetic variation get in the way of a relationship?

#17 Edited by ANTHP2000 (24858 posts) - - Show Bio

@juiceboks said:

So you would decline to date (roughly) 36.3% of the population of America.....by virtue of them not having the same skin colour as you......jesus are we in the 1960's again?

Are people these days are really so shallow that they let such a petty thing such as melanin, or less than 0.1% genetic variation get in the way of a relationship?

Racism exists since forever and it'll probably keep going like that.

Yes, yes they are. But I can see where Boks is coming from, it's not about all of them it's about the majority. Problem is that this is where racism starts.

#18 Posted by Manchine (6326 posts) - - Show Bio

They don't care, this coming from a Large farming family (they live out in the hicks here in michigan). I have two cousins that are married outside there race. One mexican guy and black girl. Living in Las Vegas and Carolina (can't remember if its north or south). The almost tween daughter finally ran into her first racist person, just a week or two ago. While selling girl scouts or something for school.

#19 Posted by decaf_wizard (16727 posts) - - Show Bio

@decaf_wizard said:
@juiceboks said:

Yes, yes they are. But I can see where Boks is coming from, it's not about all of them it's about the majority. Problem is that this is where racism starts.

Saying the majority of white people are racist or take some weird attitude towards black people is problematic in and of itself. Hell, most of the black people I know (in a place where literally less than one percent of the population is black, and 97% is white) have said they have never experienced racism while living here.

Of course there will always be racism, just as a few of the people I asked for my anthropology survey did say they experienced racism. But there is no need to become prejudiced against that entire race as a result of it

#20 Edited by ANTHP2000 (24858 posts) - - Show Bio

@decaf_wizard said:
@anthp2000 said:
@decaf_wizard said:
@juiceboks said:

Saying the majority of white people are racist or take some weird attitude towards black people is problematic in and of itself. Hell, most of the black people I know (in a place where literally less than one percent of the population is black, and 97% is white) have said they have never experienced racism while living here.

Of course there will always be racism, just as a few of the people I asked for my anthropology survey did say they experienced racism. But there is no need to become prejudiced against that entire race as a result of it

What I meant by what I said is that Juiceboks means the majority of white american women have something he doesn't want for a serious relationship. Just like in many countires, certain majorties of foreigners are criminals. Saying that it's racist to comment on the majority is untrue, it's just that it's because of the majority that racism exists, cause one cannot just tell who is in the minority, so the entire bunch gets the dust.

I agree.

#21 Edited by juiceboks (24638 posts) - - Show Bio

@decaf_wizard:

So you would decline to date

I never said that

by virtue of them not having the same skin colour as you

It's definitely not that simple in reality

jesus are we in the 1960's again

So preferring to spend the rest of your life with someone who has a similar cultural and racial background as you is an outdated mentality? That's not even prejudiced, it actually makes the most sense for a longtime partner.

Edit: My reasoning goes even deeper than that, well into my career goals and personal works I aspire to pursue for people of my racial and cultural background.

#22 Posted by LDM (5361 posts) - - Show Bio

We are all human, nothing wrong with dating with people with different skin colors

#23 Posted by kid_high (517 posts) - - Show Bio

I dated a Na'vi once, my parents sent me to the shrink :(

#24 Posted by theacidskull (21971 posts) - - Show Bio

@juiceboks said:

Cool your tits, man.

I'm white i'm pretty certain I'd never end up marrying a white American. It's a lot easier to get along with someone from the same culture and/or Racial background.

#25 Posted by righteous300 (3975 posts) - - Show Bio

They don't care. But they do ask for me to be cautious though. The way people are acting in the south now my family is a bit hesitant with me dating in general.

#26 Posted by mrmonster (14174 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, my dad is white and my mom is Hispanic, so I seriously doubt they'd care. If they did, they'be be hypocrites.

#27 Posted by decaf_wizard (16727 posts) - - Show Bio

@decaf_wizard said:
@juiceboks said:

Cool your tits, man.

Loading Video...

#28 Posted by Kingyang (846 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for echostarlord117
#29 Posted by echostarlord117 (5526 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, let me put it this way, my mom has said on multiple occasions, "Once you go black, you'll never go back." So, yeah.

#30 Edited by decaf_wizard (16727 posts) - - Show Bio

@kingyang said:

@decaf_wizard: Are you being intentionally naive?

No. What is naive about what I am saying?

If the statement was, I am not attracted to white women, it would make lots more sense to me

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
#31 Edited by Fallschirmjager (23432 posts) - - Show Bio

They'd be hypocrites if they had any objections as I'm mixed. They don't care afaik. I've never asked.

#32 Edited by SanoHibiki (3379 posts) - - Show Bio

Skin color is non-factor, actually, but cultural and/or religious differences - well, that might be a serious problem.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ad4cb41c7fb8
#33 Posted by deactivated-5ad4cb41c7fb8 (3527 posts) - - Show Bio

@sanohibiki: Ehhh....to some people skin color is a factor, as I was once rejected by a girl for not being "light enough", but she was probably racist. I do agree heavily, on the cultural and religious part.

#34 Posted by SanoHibiki (3379 posts) - - Show Bio

@normanbates:

Erm, I meant it as in "skin color is non-factor for me and my family". My bad... And yeah, second part is quite important.

#35 Posted by deactivated-5ad4cb41c7fb8 (3527 posts) - - Show Bio
#36 Posted by Yassassin (7547 posts) - - Show Bio

Dad's probably not the biggest fan, but I dont think my mom would care.

Avatar image for redxiii18881990
#37 Posted by Redxiii18881990 (1574 posts) - - Show Bio

I doubt my dad would care at all. My mum wouldn’t have cared either.

#38 Posted by ValorKnight (11635 posts) - - Show Bio

My dad is akin to a biker you'd see on SoA (so he'd probably be a bit upset), but I highly doubt my mom would care. The thing is, I'm not at all attracted to women not the same race as me (I have no idea why, and I'm not racist or anything), so I probably wouldn't date outside of my race anyway.

#39 Posted by TifaLockhart (20999 posts) - - Show Bio

Wouldn't care one bit.

#40 Posted by Khael (15331 posts) - - Show Bio

Not good....

#41 Posted by deactivated-5ad4cb41c7fb8 (3527 posts) - - Show Bio

@valor_175: So you're white (not that it matters or anything)? I figured you'd be Asian, Indian, or that.

#42 Edited by ValorKnight (11635 posts) - - Show Bio

@normanbates said:

@valor_175: So you're white (not that it matters or anything)? I figured you'd be Asian, Indian, or that.

Not only am I white, I'm probably the whitest white person in existence (my skin is so light I sparkle on sunny days, lol).

#43 Posted by Tacosheep (442 posts) - - Show Bio

Wouldnt care.

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
#44 Posted by MarvelandDCfan24 (6949 posts) - - Show Bio

Wouldn't care though I never have dated one and probably never will

#45 Posted by BruceRogers (17077 posts) - - Show Bio

They wouldn't mind much.

#46 Edited by laflux (24721 posts) - - Show Bio

@juiceboks: Mum started off as being extremely xenophobic to the idea, but I didn't have alot of interaction with girls before I left for uni and all the girls there where white. By then my mum had mellowed. I have had a serious GF who was white who I introduced to them and they didn't seem to mind although I could sense a small relief when she broke up with me. I'd say they prefer I marry someone black though its not something that would make them lose that much sleep over.

I also called you out as tbh I'm starting to have similar feelings to you. I have dated white women extensively, and I feel that its harder for me to find someone who has enough knowledge and respect about Black African (and American culture) without me internally mocking their ignorance lol. While this hasn't been an exclusive thing, combined with the thankfully very rare outright racial insensitivity I've experienced by the girls I dated, its just is kinda turning me off lol.

#47 Edited by laflux (24721 posts) - - Show Bio

@decaf_wizard said:

It doesn't really work like that. It is the social and cultural connotations that often come with being white (or any race different from yours) that can make it difficult to seriously date others of different races. Doesn't make it impossible, just harder lol.

#48 Posted by just_sayin (3288 posts) - - Show Bio

They didn't care. They would have hoped for more green in her bank account though.

#49 Posted by tensor (8375 posts) - - Show Bio

They do not care. If your family has a problem with that they have a problem.

#50 Edited by seastone98 (4547 posts) - - Show Bio

Well im latino so we got a lil bit of everything but nah my family dont care especially if dere my black brethren i mean Hispanics aint nothing but black ppl dat can swim-paul mooney also i like white ppl 2 so hey