How does your cognitive ability initially encode a year number in the thousands range?

Avatar image for life_without_progress
life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

Welcome to another one of Life_Without_Progress' thought experiments based on Cognitive Psychology.

How does your cognitive ability initially encode a year number in the thousands range?

Let's say, when you read the year number "1984"

How does your mind process it at first?

Would you say you read it as "One Thousand, Nine Hundred Eighty Four" or "Nineteen Eighty Four"

Another example, "2018"

Did you read as "Two Thousand Eighteen" first or was it "Twenty Eighteen".

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

The former for me. But it is also a language thing for me since in my language we don't say "Twenty - Nineteen".

WollfMyth209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's based on practicality for me. Saying Ninteen Eighty-Four is easier than saying One Thousand, Nine Hundred and Eighty Four, so I usually think that way as well.

However, in my mother language, we don't really talk like that so I just say the full year.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#4 SC  Moderator

Depends on the number. Numbers that have a certain significance to me, tend to be read or thought of as different than numbers that don't. I think 1984 and I think of the novel and I think nineteen eighty four. Ditto two thousand and eighteen. Numbers that are more abstract, less significant relatively, I might think and read differently. How numbers interact with each also might determine how I read or describe them.

AtmExle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Numbers that bear some significant are read as the latter. Everyone pronounces 1984 as "Nineteen Eighty-four" as opposed to " One thousand nine hundred and eighty-four", so my initial interpretations on how I would read significantly four digit numbers would resemble this method.

However, if I were to solve a math problem and get a four-digit number such as " 2390", I will always read it as "two thousand, three hundred and ninety". I even might read 1984 that way if I were to solve a math problem and get that answer without me mentally linking this to the book. I suppose it's because of the way we read things in our native language or culture. In some cultures it is read as the former, in others it is read as the latter.

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nineteen eighty four

Then

Two thousand eighteen

Avatar image for theonewhopullsthestrings
TheOneWhoPullsTheStrings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nineteen + Eightyfour. I read them in the order as I see them mostly.

This seems to hold true even if it isn't a significant meaning number like 1984.

If I were to see a random number, like 4532,

I would usually read it as "four thousand, five hundred and thirty two"

tjd2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Based on context

if I see that in a history class its nineteen eighty four

If its in a math class it then becomes nineteen hundred and eighty four

Same applies for outside of the classroom for me it is context based