Has anyone ever died before?

#1 Edited by Iron_Tiger (1525 posts) - - Show Bio

My sister passed away early this morning and it has placed me in a strange mood. A mood that I am familiar with (my dog departed in 2015). When I had an operation to remove my gallbladder, I had lost a lot of blood, which resulted in me dying for a brief period; when I was unconscious, I "saw" darkness, but couldn't see or hear or feel anything else. I remember waking up just moments after put into recovery, and blood pouring all over my chest and arms and bed. This mood I'm in has me questioning death, so, has anyone ever died before? And if so, what was your experience? Did you see what I did?

#2 Edited by jagernutt (17838 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sorry for your loss.

#3 Posted by Dr_Shenanigans (536 posts) - - Show Bio

Not me personally but a friend of mine shot his entire face off & died, revived & laid in a coma for months & he described the same thing of being aware but in an abyss, just like a nothingness of him with his own thoughts.

#4 Posted by Battle123axe (9679 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm sorry for your loss

#5 Posted by Blubber (1900 posts) - - Show Bio

Sorry for your loss.

#6 Posted by Iron_Tiger (1525 posts) - - Show Bio
#7 Posted by SpareHeadOne (7501 posts) - - Show Bio

@iron_tiger:

You can't have been unconscious if you saw darkness. it is your brain/mind registering something.

#8 Posted by Lan_Fan (18542 posts) - - Show Bio

I think my mom claimed to see a bright light that time she fell off the stair, she said she was walking on a beautiful garden, but decided to come back. She's alive and well now.

#9 Posted by jagernutt (17838 posts) - - Show Bio
#10 Edited by dshipp17 (5798 posts) - - Show Bio

@iron_tiger: So sorry to hear of your loss; I wish I could have helped and wish I could have had a chance to serve as a Testament for God, in helping you; yes, I've died before, more than once, and God blessed me and restored me to life; in the latest experience, I had a brief encounter with Heaven and Jesus (e.g. my first. here on earth, as a person, was when I was a baby, as my mother confirmed, and I had one in childhood, and one as an adult); I don't experience nightmares, especially in recent days, as I've really been devoted to getting closer to God; ; I thank God and the Lord Jesus Christ for the experience as to where I'm headed; and I'm keeping the faith and doing my best to be an ambassador for God.

#11 Posted by ManaMan (606 posts) - - Show Bio

No. Everyone is immortal.

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
#12 Posted by Guardiandevil83 (9394 posts) - - Show Bio

I asked my mother this years ago after her heart surgery. She described it the same way.

And sorry for your lose.

#13 Posted by SpareHeadOne (7501 posts) - - Show Bio

I died.

When I got back to my body there were four demons on the couch in my mind palace watching the tennis. I walked up to one of them.."dude, your in my groove.". He moved and I sat down with them and watched the tennis and drank some beer.

They were like..."so I spose you're going to throw us out as soon as we drop off to sleep." I said "yup" and they were like..." ok we may as well make tracks". "Seeya guys! I hope you find a place of your own someday!!!"

I tell ya... they kept the place clean...

Avatar image for deactivated-5d5789e65ebaa
#14 Posted by deactivated-5d5789e65ebaa (2099 posts) - - Show Bio

sorry for your loss

#15 Posted by BumpyBoo (14858 posts) - - Show Bio

@iron_tiger: Really really sorry for your loss. Please, message me if there is anything I can do or you need to talk. Know what it's like for grief to mess you up. Lost a lot of people close to me. Changes you.

As for your question, I thought I died briefly after an overdose and it was the oddest thing. Kept trying to get my body to do stuff, but it was like it just wasn't there anymore. My thoughts still raced along but couldn't move or speak and it was just black

Avatar image for major_hellstrom
#16 Posted by Major_Hellstrom (18101 posts) - - Show Bio

Sorry for your loss OP. Also, I drowned once, but I doubt I flatlined or anything. THought I was gone for good though.

#17 Edited by Doofasa (2229 posts) - - Show Bio

@iron_tiger: Sorry for your loss mate. I hope your sister is at peace. I know you don't know me from a bar of soap but if you ever want to talk I'm a message away.

As far as your question goes I've drowned before but my heart never stopped beating. My memory of it was similar to other times I've lost consciousness.

I have worked at a palative care unit before though and talked to quite a few people who have come a lot closer to death then that. There stories varied greatly, from experiencing darkness or light, seeing their loved ones, having a third eye view of their own life, a feeling of peace or dread and so on. The only conclusion I could draw from that is we don't know what happens. Or maybe it's different for everyone. Either way I hope you're doing okay and that your sister is at peace.

#18 Posted by MainJP (7538 posts) - - Show Bio

Sorry for your loss.

#19 Posted by Supermanthor (22700 posts) - - Show Bio

Really sorry for your loss

#20 Posted by Iron_Tiger (1525 posts) - - Show Bio
#21 Posted by Alisupo1 (334 posts) - - Show Bio

Sorry for your loss

#22 Edited by ourmanuel (13723 posts) - - Show Bio

F to pay respects

Avatar image for deactivated-5d065fa72d466
#23 Posted by deactivated-5d065fa72d466 (2222 posts) - - Show Bio

F

#24 Posted by Djibbo__ (1324 posts) - - Show Bio

F

Avatar image for ironspiderchan45
#25 Posted by Ironspiderchan45 (1129 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, sorry that must have been tough. A close friend attempted to take his life and died temporarily and said same thing as you did, glad you aren't dead. That's scary

#26 Posted by Mutant1230 (7076 posts) - - Show Bio
#27 Posted by Iron_Tiger (1525 posts) - - Show Bio
#28 Posted by StellatedColt (1009 posts) - - Show Bio

Sorry for your loss Iron_Tiger

#29 Posted by Darkthunder (3740 posts) - - Show Bio

@iron_tiger: sorry for the loss and no offense,but the question is seriously stupid

#30 Posted by Iron_Tiger (1525 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkthunder: To you, maybe. There wasn't a need to even say that. Grow up, yeah?

Avatar image for firestarlord73194
#31 Posted by FireStarLord73194 (5789 posts) - - Show Bio

Sorry for the loss of your sister. The Bible can help us come to an accurate understanding of death and what hope we have for the future. I like what Revelation 21:4 promises “and He will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain will be anymore. The former things have passed away.” God’s word promises that death isn’t the end nor was it a part of His original purpose. Acts 24:15 says “there is going to be a resurrection of both the righteous and unrighteous.” Sorry for your loss again friend.

https://www.jw.org/en/bible-teachings/questions/about-life-and-death/#?insight%5Bsearch_id%5D=117b6df3-5c17-498c-831b-1b498171ee3d&insight%5Bsearch_result_index%5D=0

#32 Edited by Iron_Tiger (1525 posts) - - Show Bio