• 132 results
Posted by BruceVeidt (3570 posts) 10 months, 6 days ago

Poll: Guy with a combat knife vs guy with a baseball bat (60 votes)

Guy with a combat knife 28%
Guy with a baseball bat 72%
  • Both have no training whatsoever
  • Both are 6'2" and weigh 180lbs
  • Both have regular clothing
  • Both are bloodlusted
  • Win by KO, incap or death
  • Random encounter
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

#1 Posted by TonyMartial (9715 posts) - - Show Bio

Combat knife easily. The baseball bat dude takes more time to swing at you, you can dodge easily, hes in a vulnerable position, you strike at a lethal point.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4
#2 Posted by deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4 (18365 posts) - - Show Bio

Baseball Bat if you use it properly. Range is underlooked

#3 Edited by The_Kidd (12162 posts) - - Show Bio

Bat due to range and being easier to use effectively.

#4 Posted by TheWatcherKing (18455 posts) - - Show Bio

Bat, it gives you more range.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b60e98a8eb99
#5 Posted by deactivated-5b60e98a8eb99 (11593 posts) - - Show Bio

I think this has been done, I remember the salt.

#6 Edited by KillBilly (1967 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends on the person wielding them but more often then not the guy with the combat knife.

Most people can work up enough courage to tank a whack or two from a baseball bat and get in close to go to work with the combat knife if they know they're in a life or death situation.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c830d4e319e6
#7 Edited by deactivated-5c830d4e319e6 (4952 posts) - - Show Bio

Guy with the Knife most of the time. The guy with the bat will usually need more than 2-3 hits, especially if the other guy protects himself & if the guy with the combat knife is willing to kill („bloodlusted“) it’s all over after 1 solid stab.

#8 Posted by ANTHP2000 (27759 posts) - - Show Bio

I mean, OP is presenting some seriously large guy, in which case they could take a couple of indirect hits from a baseball bat, unlike they would with the knife.

#9 Posted by Emperorb777 (11284 posts) - - Show Bio

At first, I read "incap" as "decap" lol,I'm like man these guys are beasts.

Avatar image for diarrhearegatta
#10 Edited by DiarrheaRegatta (5188 posts) - - Show Bio

With no combat or knife experience the dude with the bat would dominate.

#11 Posted by Cotton_Eye_Joe (62 posts) - - Show Bio

Bat.

#12 Posted by ValorKnight (12412 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd go with the combat knife wielder. If the he hits his opponent, he's likely to kill him, but I'd guess that he can take getting hit with a baseball bat and still go on.

#13 Posted by DiarrheaRegatta (5188 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd go with the combat knife wielder. If the he hits his opponent, he's likely to kill him, but I'd guess that he can take getting hit with a baseball bat and still go on.

A stab wound isn't likely to kill someone outright though. You may be surprised as to how may times a person can get stabbed before succumbing to they're wounds & if they're vigorously swinging a bat all the while it's more than likely no ones winning this fight.

#14 Posted by BruceVeidt (3570 posts) - - Show Bio

At first, I read "incap" as "decap" lol,I'm like man these guys are beasts.

lol

#15 Posted by mrmonster (15568 posts) - - Show Bio

Baseball bat guy, he has more range. This especially holds true if he ever played baseball, something almost every boy in our culture learns when he's a kid.

#16 Edited by ValorKnight (12412 posts) - - Show Bio

@diarrhearegatta said:
@valorknight said:

A stab wound isn't likely to kill someone outright though. You may be surprised as to how may times a person can get stabbed before succumbing to they're wounds & if they're vigorously swinging a bat all the while it's more than likely no ones winning this fight.

I never claimed that it would, but bleeding out from a stab wound is preferable to getting thumped with a bat, at least for me. I doubt any intelligent person is going to go in for a slash or stab and then stick around long enough to get hit with a bat; with or without training, it'd be common sense to get in and get out, slowly whittling away your opponent (who is also wielding a much heavier weapon, so their stamina will drain much quicker than yours). I might be putting myself in their shoes a bit too heavily, but I'm fairly certain the knife user can win.

#17 Edited by DiarrheaRegatta (5188 posts) - - Show Bio

@valorknight said:
@diarrhearegatta said:
@valorknight said:

I never claimed thst it would, but bleeding out from a stab wound is preferable to getting thumped with a bat, at least for me. I doubt any intelligent person is going to go in for a slash or stab and then stick around long enough to get hit with a bat; with or without training, it'd be common sense to get in and get out, slowly whittling away your opponent (who is also wielding a much heavier weapon, so their stamina will drain much quicker than yours).

I just don't really see how a knifer can get in & out without taking a massive blow which no normal man is no-selling.

#18 Edited by ValorKnight (12412 posts) - - Show Bio

@diarrhearegatta said:
@valorknight said:
@diarrhearegatta said:
@valorknight said:

I never claimed thst it would, but bleeding out from a stab wound is preferable to getting thumped with a bat, at least for me. I doubt any intelligent person is going to go in for a slash or stab and then stick around long enough to get hit with a bat; with or without training, it'd be common sense to get in and get out, slowly whittling away your opponent (who is also wielding a much heavier weapon, so their stamina will drain much quicker than yours).

I just don't really see how a knifer can get in & out without taking a massive blow which no normal man is no selling.

It's not all that difficult. In my opinion, due to the linearity of the swings, one should be able to jab their arm forward and get a stab or slash in without putting their more vital areas (head, torso, etcetera) in harms way. I mentioned this already, but stamina is a big factor as well. Imagine just wildly swinging a bat at someone who is actively dodging and swinging a knife at you; it'd definitely do a number on your energy reserves, especially if he were to land a hit.

#19 Posted by DiarrheaRegatta (5188 posts) - - Show Bio

@valorknight: You may be right but we really have to think about how an inexperienced person would actually attack someone using a knife.

The guy with the bat don't wanna get shanked. I imagine he'll do everything in his power to stay as far away as possible from that blade.

#20 Posted by Vertigo- (17820 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll back the guy with the bat. Range is a big advantage

Avatar image for deactivated-5b60e98a8eb99
#21 Posted by deactivated-5b60e98a8eb99 (11593 posts) - - Show Bio

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/battles-7/in-a-fight-to-the-death-do-you-choose-bat-or-knife-1904413/

#22 Edited by Alavanka (2590 posts) - - Show Bio

Bat. Range advantage is very important. If the participants are untrained, it's unlikely the knife wielder would have the timing necessary to close the gap. I remember a news story about a subway station stabbing in Taiwan where an old dude with an umbrella managed to harass the assailant (college student) with an umbrella because of the reach. Neither were trained, so this is a good benchmark. I imagine the guy with the bat can actually be the aggressor here.

Things change once you introduce trained combatants though. A knife is invaluable in grappling range (arguably harder to defend against than a gun), so provided the guy can make it to a clinch then gg.

#23 Posted by BruceVeidt (3570 posts) - - Show Bio

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/battles-7/in-a-fight-to-the-death-do-you-choose-bat-or-knife-1904413/

Yeah but that thread has YOU against someone else.

This is 2 random un-trained men.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf470b432518
#24 Posted by deactivated-5bf470b432518 (5801 posts) - - Show Bio

Baseball Bat easily due to the shear reach it has in comparison to a knife.

#25 Posted by HeroUp2112 (18328 posts) - - Show Bio

In the usual 10 round match I give the knife guy the win about 7-8 out of ten times.

They're both blood lusted so "pain" attacks will have reduced effectiveness.

It will take a solid knock down, crippling, or knock out blow from the bat on the first or second swing to stop the knife wielder from swarming in on the bat wielder and going to town on him, at which point the bat's effectiveness will be GREATLY reduced especially since the bat wielder has no training.

Once the knife wielder is in close, even if he is hurt, or in great pain from being hit with the bat, the beauty of a knife is you don't HAVE to have a lot of training to do significant damage with one if you're committing an all out, full violence attack. The knife wielder (being blood lusted as they are) will just start stabbing and slashing as hard and fast as they can. It won't take long before veins, arteries, and organs are punctured or cut. It won't be long after that the bat wielder will lose strength, then consciousness, then life.

#26 Edited by DiarrheaRegatta (5188 posts) - - Show Bio

@heroup2112: But the same could be said vice versa as while the blood lusted dude getting stabbed may be completely oblivious to it & just be shattering the bones of his opponent.

I really do kinda see this as a double K.O. as I feel the bat wielder will be last standing but likely wont survive.

EDIT: And we must take into consideration factors like simple shoving & grabbing. It's bound to occur.

#27 Posted by Lan_Fan (14751 posts) - - Show Bio

Could go either way, of course.

Avatar image for the_legendary_supersaiyan_hulk
#28 Posted by The_Legendary_SuperSaiyan_Hulk (17515 posts) - - Show Bio

Bat, that knife is being overrated

#29 Posted by BruceVeidt (3570 posts) - - Show Bio
#30 Posted by HeroUp2112 (18328 posts) - - Show Bio

@heroup2112: But the same could be said vice versa as while the blood lusted dude getting stabbed may be completely oblivious to it & just be shattering the bones of his opponent.

I really do kinda see this as a double K.O. as I feel the bat wielder will be last standing but likely wont survive.

EDIT: And we must take into consideration factors like simple shoving & grabbing. It's bound to occur.

These factors are also very likely as well. While the bat wielder might not feel (well he might feel but probably won't care) about being stabbed and cut the damage and blood loss will bring him down either quickly or eventually (since the knife wielder has no training that will be down to luck). THAT being said, whether the bat wielder can grab and shove the knife wielder way far enough, or enough times to get some good, damaging swings in with the bat will determine who goes down first. Good point.

#31 Posted by MetalJimmor (6543 posts) - - Show Bio

People are severely underestimating blunt force trauma. A well placed bat swing can crack a human spine. You aren't going to just tank through two or three hits before going down if the bat connects with any meaningful force.

I blame fiction. Blunt force attacks are almost always undersold in movies and TV shows to the point some characters can take a warhammer to the face and only be knocked out for a little bit. It's ridiculous.

#32 Posted by sabracadabra (1591 posts) - - Show Bio

bat.

#33 Posted by Emperorb777 (11284 posts) - - Show Bio

Knife

All it takes is the person with the knife to decide to rush and get close and bat is useless at that point.

#34 Posted by Eric_of_Apotos (352 posts) - - Show Bio

The bat.

#35 Posted by DiarrheaRegatta (5188 posts) - - Show Bio

Knife

All it takes is the person with the knife to decide to rush and get close and bat is useless at that point.

As if when he suddenly closed the gap The Batman's arms suddenly just fell off?

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
#36 Posted by buttersdaman000 (22858 posts) - - Show Bio

Bat, almost easily i'd argue. A full force swing is breaking bones. Get clocked in the head, you're done. Get clocked in the arms trying to block the swings, bones are breaking and you're dropping the knife. Hell, some might dodge the first swing, but the range gives you ample time to swing again before the knife wielder closes the gap.

#37 Edited by Aka_aka_aka_ak (3211 posts) - - Show Bio

How the fuck is the bat man winning? It's not difficult to defend with your arms, real fights are very scruffy and the bat man is not likely to get a fatal hit before the knife guy is in close, one stab and he wins. Knife guy wins 8/10 times.

@buttersdaman000 "but the range gives you ample time to swing again before the knife wielder closes the gap." nonsense, one missed swing and it's game over. The time to even get into position to swing a second time is already too late.

#38 Edited by Buckwheat (2299 posts) - - Show Bio

@aka_aka_aka_ak said:

How the fuck is bat winning? It's not difficult to defend with your arms, real fights are very scruffy and the bat man is not likely to get a fatal hit before the knife guy is in close, one stab and he wins. Knife guy wins 8/10 times.

Not so sure. If the bat guy plays his cards well, he can keep his distance, not letting the knife guy get close in a sort of hit-and-back-out tactic. If he lands a good bat-blow he could break the opponent's hands, that would leave his oponent in a great disadvantage.

The knife-guys best option is to get close, body-to-body. That way the bat is rended inefective. So he should jump fast to pass the danger zone and stab in.

I say, If there is room to maneuver, bat-guy takes it. If the fight is in close quarters, the knife guy gets in and wins.

In the end, the guy to figure the other's weakness first will win. This fight will play out to the smarter fighter winning.

#39 Posted by Aka_aka_aka_ak (3211 posts) - - Show Bio
@aka_aka_aka_ak said:

How the fuck is bat winning? It's not difficult to defend with your arms, real fights are very scruffy and the bat man is not likely to get a fatal hit before the knife guy is in close, one stab and he wins. Knife guy wins 8/10 times.

If he lands a good bat-blow he could break the opponent's hands, that would leave his oponent in a great disadvantage.

I think you're overestimating how long this fight will be once the first hit is made, after the first hit the fight will be over within a couple of seconds: you swing your bat, I block with the arm not holding the knife, my forearm is completely shattered but it doesn't matter, I'm already close enough to stab into your abdomen.

#40 Posted by Buckwheat (2299 posts) - - Show Bio

@buckwheat said:
@aka_aka_aka_ak said:

If he lands a good bat-blow he could break the opponent's hands, that would leave his oponent in a great disadvantage.

I think you're overestimating how long this fight will be once the first hit is made, after the first hit the fight will be over within a couple of seconds: you swing your bat, I block with the arm not holding the knife, my forearm is completely shattered but it doesn't matter, I'm already close enough to stab into your abdomen.

No. Because as you step in with your stab, I step back, at the same speed you attack, and since we both have the same speed, you will not reach me.

I've done Kick-boxing and once tried to kick a guy that kept running back. There was no way to reach him. Except ofcourse if he runs into a wall or trips on something. So, if the fight happens in a big open area, bat-guy can very easily avoid your stabs by never letting you reach arms-reach.

#41 Posted by BruceVeidt (3570 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump

#42 Posted by Buckwheat (2299 posts) - - Show Bio

@aka_aka_aka_ak said:
@buckwheat said:
@aka_aka_aka_ak said:

No. Because as you step in with your stab, I step back, at the same speed you attack, and since we both have the same speed, you will not reach me.

I've done Kick-boxing and once tried to kick a guy that kept running back. There was no way to reach him. Except ofcourse if he runs into a wall or trips on something. So, if the fight happens in a big open area, bat-guy can very easily avoid your stabs by never letting you reach arms-reach.

Ok, I'm going to change my vote.

I was puting myslef in the situation and, since I have some martial arts training, I was thinking the fighters would do as I would. But OP states no training whatsoever, and usually, people that have no martial art's training, don't do the "hit and back out" tactic. People with no training usually get close very fast and the first hits they land are usually not very strong nor accurate.

Heaving that in consideration, the knife guy could have the edge, since the bat guy's first hit would probably not knock the other one out, and once the distance is closed the guy with the knife would have a big advantage.

So yeah. Knife guy wins.

#43 Edited by jagernutt (16658 posts) - - Show Bio

Id laugh if someone pulled a knife and I had a baseball bat. Their head would no longer be attached to their shoulders.

#44 Posted by Chimeroid (9266 posts) - - Show Bio

In the usual 10 round match I give the knife guy the win about 7-8 out of ten times.

It will take a solid knock down, crippling, or knock out blow from the bat on the first or second swing to stop the knife wielder from swarming in on the bat wielder and going to town on him, at which point the bat's effectiveness will be GREATLY reduced especially since the bat wielder has no training.

Once the knife wielder is in close, even if he is hurt, or in great pain from being hit with the bat, the beauty of a knife is you don't HAVE to have a lot of training to do significant damage with one if you're committing an all out, full violence attack. The knife wielder (being blood lusted as they are) will just start stabbing and slashing as hard and fast as they can. It won't take long before veins, arteries, and organs are punctured or cut. It won't be long after that the bat wielder will lose strength, then consciousness, then life.

I am surprised to see someone with training side with the knife. In my experience people with no training whatsoever should not be given knives in fights. Baseballs are much easier to use and they can be used from a safer distance.

#45 Posted by jagernutt (16658 posts) - - Show Bio

Loading Video...

#46 Posted by HeroUp2112 (18328 posts) - - Show Bio

@heroup2112 said:

I am surprised to see someone with training side with the knife. In my experience people with no training whatsoever should not be given knives in fights. Baseballs are much easier to use and they can be used from a safer distance.

If the combatants were not blood lusted I would have voted the other way around for sure.

#47 Posted by MetalJimmor (6543 posts) - - Show Bio

Any strategy that begins with "First I'll let him shatter my arm..." isn't a good strategy. You're severely underestimating the debilitating pain of having your arm broken. The attacker certainly won't have the will and pain tolerance to maintain a thrusting motion while having their bones shattered by a high impact swing. Nor would they likely be able to reach their opponent with their arm anyway, as the opponent has the length of their arm plus the length of the bat to bypass.

@buckwheat

Keep in mind that without training the knife guy likely can't properly close the distance either. It takes much, much more mental effort to charge toward your opponent's weapon than it does for the batter to follow their natural instinct to avoid being stabbed.

#48 Posted by ANTHP2000 (27759 posts) - - Show Bio

Only problem I have with the bat winning is that these guys are large, if it was 2 average guys the bat would definitely win.

The bat is also much more easily stopped, grabbed or used against your opponent. The knife is just so sneaky you won't see it coming.

Avatar image for mylittlefascist
#49 Edited by MyLittleFascist (31723 posts) - - Show Bio

@heroup2112: A baseball bat deals shock to a greater portion of your opponent's body and the force of the blow is far more likely to stop or slow their advance. Meanwhile people get in fights and get stabbed as many as a dozen times and don't even notice. Hell there are instances where the unarmed guy completely clobbered a knife wielder then walks away only to bleed to death because they didn't even realize a knife was involved in the fight.

I really don't see why anyone would pick the knife over the bat.

#50 Posted by HeroUp2112 (18328 posts) - - Show Bio

@heroup2112: A baseball bat deals shock to a greater portion of your opponent's body and the force of the blow is far more likely to stop or slow their advance. Meanwhile people get in fights and get stabbed as many as a dozen times and don't even notice. Hell there are instances where the unarmed guy completely clobbered a knife wielder then walks away only to bleed to death because they didn't even realize a knife was involved in the fight.

I really don't see why anyone would pick the knife over the bat.

Well I'd pick a knife over a bat any day, but that's because I know how to use one. However, here we're talking about two people who've been magically blood lusted and forced to fight with these weapons. If these were two people forced to fight and they didn't have training the knife wielder wouldn't swarm on the bat wielder taking the first shot as best they could, then latching on and stab stab stab stab stab. If they weren't blood lusted, the knife wielder would likely dance around and try to avoid the bat swings and wait for an opening and probably get clobbered as the bat wielder danced back and kept swinging. As @chimeroid pointed out, it's a lot easier to learn to use a club than a knife.

Odds are in this situation it's very likely both opponents might die. The bat wielder just might die slightly after the knife wielder from blood loss or organ failure.