#1 Posted by HeroUp2112 (18261 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not going to post the pictures but if you want to see just google search Ralph Northam yearbook picture.

Should this guy be removed as Governor of Virginia?

Should he be punched in the face (like so many people wanted to do with MAGA hat kid)?

Should people just say "Aw he was in college," or "It was a different time"?

Discuss

#2 Edited by mrmonster (15161 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that creep should definitely resign. He wasn't a child, he was a medical school student, he knew what he was doing.

#3 Posted by gunmetalgrey (4722 posts) - - Show Bio

I am unaware of any details or nuances surrounding this specific case, but I know I'm definitely not the same person I was in college, and that was less than 5 years ago.

If he admits his own actions, recognizes why they were wrong, shows remorse and sincerely apologizes for it, and has displayed no recent activity that indicates he still holds the same problematic opinions and beliefs, then I'm good with it.

#4 Edited by dshipp17 (5483 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd first be wondering, how is his track record on all things civil rights and workers' rights? If good and extensive, let he without sin cast the first stone. On the other hand, if he has a track record of undermining all things civil and workers' rights, or, very little to no history in these areas, then, well.

#5 Posted by darkonast (769 posts) - - Show Bio

@gunmetalgrey: no no no no , im sorry is it that hard to refrain from racist acts? That stupid phrase “im not the same man I was years ago” , is a sad excuse to brush forms of racism to the side by using the “im young” excuse .... All that picture exposes is that he has always harbored some form of closet racism that he packed deep into his conscious just so he can live somewhat comfortable in todays society. As a black man myself & current resident of VA ... this man should rightfully give up his position , I dont want any man who WILLINGLY participated in racist acts and tries to brush it to the side to be in a high power position of my state

#6 Posted by Lunacyde (28178 posts) - - Show Bio

He should resign and they're doing the right thing pushing for his resignation.

There are things you can chalk up to being young and stupid, this isn't one of them.

#7 Edited by gunmetalgrey (4722 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkonast: As I said, I'm not aware of how this situation has progressed so far and how this man has reacted and conducted himself in the face of criticism. If he hasn't done any of the things I mentioned in my second statement, then there is, indeed, a problem.

But I am curious, why is it a stupid phrase? Can it only be an excuse without any room for it to be fact? I would apply it to any unsavory act or statement, whether racially, religiously, or socio-economically charged. Are you the type of person who thinks criminals can only be punished and not reformed?

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
#8 Posted by MarvelandDCfan24 (7342 posts) - - Show Bio

Definitely resign

Avatar image for redhood_jaytodd
#9 Posted by RedHood_JayTodd (1681 posts) - - Show Bio

Do we know if it’s even him for sure? Has he expressed remorse if it was?

#10 Posted by jayc1324 (26422 posts) - - Show Bio

At face value, I really don't care. It was so long ago, I couldn't imagine trying to make someone lose their job over a yearbook picture from so many decades ago. There are plenty of people who used to be racists or things like that who have genuinely changed, and I think that that needs to be accepted and encouraged. We shouldn't punish people for the rest of their lives for this type of stuff if they have really changed. His age in the photo really isn't that discouraging to me either, the fact that it was so long ago is more encouraging to me.

Now with that said, it is necessary to take into account how he has acted since then. Idk anything about this guy so I can't speak on it, but to me I would only support his resignation if he has continued to not show respect or care towards minorities or disadvantaged groups, and I would have to look at his response to this as well. And while I don't know about his past I did see his response and I found it to be very bad. He didn't take full responsibility and acknowledge what he did and how it was and how he has changed, which is an awful apology. His actions today are the most important thing to me, and on that front he has failed. So based on that I think it would be best if he resigned.

But again, I don't think this just because of the picture alone. It honestly doesn't bother me that much by itself (I am black too), I am sure everyone has said or done racist things of varying magnitudes at some point in their life, every single person. Not saying that it is okay, because it is absolutely not, but just that I am not so quick to go after someone for a past incident so long ago without taking a moment to think first and consider the context and how the person is now. If this picture had been taken recently then it's a different story and I would want him to resign.

#11 Posted by darkonast (769 posts) - - Show Bio

@gunmetalgrey: that phrase only applies to certain situations where youth is the prime factor for the actions .... being racist is damn sure not one of those situations, no matter who you are , if you were racist at 21 .... you more than likely still harbour some form of racism at 51 , only difference? Cant be racist out in public anymore ... that phrase is primarily used to by alot of white individuals to brush past a famour figures racist acts , same thing happened to the famous baseball player Josh hader , dude said some of the most racist comments & you know what the general MLB fanbase said? “He was young , he is different now” .... guess who makes up 95% of their fans? White individuals

#12 Edited by AbstractRaze (2644 posts) - - Show Bio

He was clearly in a KKK cult and the KKK was founded by the Democratic party in 1860, now according to his age, he is from the new KKK since approximately 1945/50/60, which didn't have the old financial connection to the Democratic party, so, it clearly expresses a traditional pattern which was carried after the dissolution of the previous KKK since 1860 than rather curiosity or fashion, it's a matter to know who was his father or mother, or his grandfather, but I don't think that such a thing is the right idea either, a bit more and call the SS with the time machine so that they find everything out about his past.

#13 Posted by gunmetalgrey (4722 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkonast: Would you condemn this man too? Would you say his change was for naught and that any amount of progress he's made is fruitless because he should forever be labeled and identified as racist? Youth definitely played no part in his beliefs. Are people with fame and power somehow exempt from the possibility of change?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ex-kkk-member-denounces-hate-groups-one-year-after-rallying-n899326

#14 Posted by Lunacyde (28178 posts) - - Show Bio

@gunmetalgrey: I think it depends if you've shown that you have changed in some tangible way as that man has.

#15 Posted by darkonast (769 posts) - - Show Bio

@gunmetalgrey: that man joined a group built on racism and the belief that white men are superior... the group literally killed black people for living ... he joined by CHOICE , he left the group cause he realized he was wrong & now I should feel sorry? Absolutely not , the KKK terrorized families of ALL colors for living on some flawed christian belief & im supposed to give him a pass for leaving??????????? I can tell you are not a minority whatsoever & if you are, you’re an uncle tom

#16 Edited by AbstractRaze (2644 posts) - - Show Bio

@lunacyde: Tangible? The only way to change on that matter, is through the demonstration of a social work or a social collaboration with black folks in the U.S, which wasn't the case so far, the Democrats have been mainly leading social fields like healthcare, welfare and so on and they didn't do anything for black people in America, in fact, black Americans are still being prejudiced under failed welfare policies, under the opposition to school choice and politically correct policing in black neighborhoods.

Collectively speaking, the Democrat party did nothing for black people, the Republican party assumed a lot of the Democrat's tasks in the social subject and Democrats have been stopping them.

The Democrat party collapsed as a social party, especially when you see situations like this:

Dems call on Cardi B in Desperate Attempt to Appeal to Younger Voters & Other Liberal Oddities

Loading Video...

PS:

The Democrats don't care about education, they promote libertinage, drug consumption, extreme-liberalism, far-leftism, they degrade anything, so where are the tangible changes?

If Ralph Northam would truly feel sorry, he would have abandoned the Democratic party way before, so why such hypocrisy?

So, again, where are your tangible changes? where? show me them.

#17 Posted by gunmetalgrey (4722 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkonast: Great, now I've been labeled for suggesting that certain generalizations aren't completely true and that there is a possibility for positive change. I've presented what may be an extreme example, I will admit, but a recent and relevant one. I see now that there is no having productive discourse with you. Good day.

#18 Posted by darkonast (769 posts) - - Show Bio

@gunmetalgrey: no you’ve been labeled for believing “just because a former KKK member apologized, I will feel sorry for him & not codemn him” , like the group wasnt raiding black peoples homes and hanging them just because they were “dark” or prostesting in Charlottesville and actually beating up minorities but because he “apologized” I should not codemn him. You dont speak for me people nor will you ever

Avatar image for deactivated-5ca9389143922
#19 Posted by deactivated-5ca9389143922 (596 posts) - - Show Bio

Painting his face black, the horror.

Anyway, if it was decades ago, I don't see why it'd matter.

#20 Posted by SpareHeadOne (6096 posts) - - Show Bio

He should be fired. Did you see that picture of him cracking that hispanic guy in the knee with that baseball bat? What an A-hole. And shooting those Inuits with blow darts? I mean I don't care that they weren't poisoned, he could have blinded somebody.

And now he thinks he can just $clean up$ as a public figure. No way!! Piss off you greedy bunt. Go and wash car windows for a living you fake loser!!

#21 Posted by zr0c00l (3143 posts) - - Show Bio

Fire him...... Out of a cannon

#22 Edited by silkyballfro94 (8674 posts) - - Show Bio

People were fine with Robert Byrd being a former klansman, voting against civil rights because he apologized and was a mentor to a certain presidential candidate. This seems like nothing in comparison.

Surely, Mr. Ralph can be given a second chance too? Or is he the same person he was in that yearbook photo decades later? Idk.

#23 Posted by AlphaQ (6225 posts) - - Show Bio

I think this is a tempest in a teapot. Dressing up in an edgy Halloween costume or two, decades ago, is such a trivial thing to focus on, in a world full of real problems. The guy should be judged on his history, actions and objectives.

Nobody's brought up that this is the same guy that recently said that resuscitating a baby that stops breathing, so long as it only recently left the womb, should come down to the mother's decision. The guy says it's okay to let babies die in the middle a hospital but people are angry he dressed up as Michael Jackson and a KKK/black man? What a joke.

#24 Posted by XLR87T3 (9852 posts) - - Show Bio

Democrats have always been the home to the KKK

#25 Edited by ValorKnight (12407 posts) - - Show Bio

Last time I checked, you can't be removed from office for having an opinion. If he is racist, it doesn't matter to me so long as he doesn't act on it or abuse his position. I have literally no knowledge on the guy, though, so let that be known as well.

#26 Posted by Defiant_Will (1131 posts) - - Show Bio

I am appalled at how nonchalant people are about this issue

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
#27 Edited by buttersdaman000 (22752 posts) - - Show Bio

@lunacyde said:

He should resign and they're doing the right thing pushing for his resignation.

There are things you can chalk up to being young and stupid, this isn't one of them.

#28 Posted by Kevd4wg (12750 posts) - - Show Bio

The dude was in his 20's, during med school, during the 80's, it's not like he was in his teens during the 60's.

Last time I checked, you can't be removed from office for having an opinion. If he is racist, it doesn't matter to me so long as he doesn't act on it or abuse his position. I have literally no knowledge on the guy, though, so let that be known as well.

One of the main ways he got elected and has gotten stuff done in power was by reaching out to many black citizens in the state adn being a close ally of the black caucus. Additionally, he's in the party that works against this kind of stuff.

@xlr87t3 said:

Democrats have always been the home to the KKK

Sometimes it's incredible how misinformed people are. Saying Democrats have always been home to the KKK is like saying the United States has always been part of Britain, they were, and now they're not, and everyone should know that by now

Avatar image for wacko_from_waco
#29 Posted by wacko_from_waco (235 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he should resign. Look I am willing to forgive him, but forgiveness doesn't mean you should keep office.

@lunacyde:

PS:

The Democrats don't care about education, they promote libertinage, drug consumption, extreme-liberalism, far-leftism, they degrade anything, so where are the tangible changes?

If Ralph Northam would truly feel sorry, he would have abandoned the Democratic party way before, so why such hypocrisy?

So, wait a minute. One of the main aims of the Klan is to promote traditional Protestant morality and traditionally they have been the biggest supporters of Prohibition. The exact opposite of what you say the Democrats stand for, yet then you say the KKK is backed by the Democrats?

I have been unfortunate to have dealt with people in the Klan.

It's not only Democrats that support drug consumption. Look at Ron Paul. He goes further and says we should legalize all drugs. Guess what he's a Republican. I think most people that want to legalize Marijuana do it because it's too much trouble to keep illegal.

#30 Edited by AbstractRaze (2644 posts) - - Show Bio

@wacko_from_waco said:

I think he should resign. Look I am willing to forgive him, but forgiveness doesn't mean you should keep office.

@abstractraze said:

@lunacyde:

PS:

So, wait a minute. One of the main aims of the Klan is to promote traditional Protestant morality and traditionally they have been the biggest supporters of Prohibition. The exact opposite of what you say the Democrats stand for, yet then you say the KKK is backed by the Democrats?

I have been unfortunate to have dealt with people in the Klan.

It's not only Democrats that support drug consumption. Look at Ron Paul. He goes further and says we should legalize all drugs. Guess what he's a Republican. I think most people that want to legalize Marijuana do it because it's too much trouble to keep illegal.

The Democrat party was a conservative and a not progressivist party in the past, the Republican party was a conservative and a progressivist party in the past and they are it still today, the Republican party abolished slavery in the U.S as well, meanwhile, the Democrat party supported the Confederates too.

The Democrat party conveniently switched to the far-left today because they lost in the past as the main conservative party, whereas the Republican party is still the original, another point, liberalism isn't leftism, but leftism appropriated liberalism effectively in order to feed their retrograde agenda, in fact, there isn't anything worse than a combination between liberalism and leftism, the real optimal synergy will always be liberalism and conservativism whenever conservativism is the main leading force by a significant margin.

This is the result of Leftism and Liberalism, in fact, Leftism twisted Liberalism so much, that Liberalism is becoming bad as Leftism, those giving birth to Modern Liberalism which is not the classical Liberalism anymore:

Loading Video...

PS:

So we have 2 fronts:

Conservativism + classical Liberalism

&

Far-leftism + Modern Liberalism/radical-Liberalism.

--------------

It's always essential that Conservativism is the leading force over Liberalism, because there is a progress limit to anything, such as in the social field. When there isn't "real" progress anymore, the Conservative force intervenes and tells Liberalism to stop and move to other more significant fields in order to not degrade, of course, both work together, but Conservativism is the one to give the order to stop, Liberalism must be there because a progressivist tendency is at some rational degree essential.

#31 Posted by Kirkseven (2683 posts) - - Show Bio

Well he is a democrat.

#32 Posted by willpayton (22083 posts) - - Show Bio

Well he is a democrat.

Which is why he's being asked to resign by his party. If he was a Republican, he'd be nominated to run for President.

#33 Posted by Kirkseven (2683 posts) - - Show Bio

@willpayton: If you think normal republicans are that bad, I don't know what to tell you.

#34 Posted by willpayton (22083 posts) - - Show Bio

@willpayton: If you think normal republicans are that bad, I don't know what to tell you.

Normal Republicans elected Trump. What else is there to be said?

#35 Posted by Kirkseven (2683 posts) - - Show Bio

@willpayton: you mean people who didn't want to see that lying pissing shitting hag get elected instead?

I swear to god, there's a difference between hurting a few feelings with words (trump) and doing what this guy did.

#36 Posted by willpayton (22083 posts) - - Show Bio

@willpayton: you mean people who didn't want to see that lying pissing shitting hag get elected instead?

I swear to god, there's a difference between hurting a few feelings with words (trump) and doing what this guy did.

The sheer amount of hypocrisy in this one post alone is simply amazing.

#37 Edited by ReaperTheGrim (1111 posts) - - Show Bio

@kirkseven said:

The sheer amount of hypocrisy in this one post alone is simply amazing.

Calling someone a hypocrite when you actually believe Nazism and the KKK are mainstream conservative views is the most laughable thing Iv'e read all day.

#38 Posted by SC (18155 posts) - - Show Bio

Should this guy be removed as Governor of Virginia?

I'd hope he'd step down of his own volition. Otherwise I do think he should be removed. I think a lot of Politicians currently serving in various positions should be removed though as well... like any and all individuals in significant positions of authority and power, they should represent the best of humanity. Our leaders should be the most ethical, qualified, knowledgable, and upstanding among us. Not idiots, with money and power fantasies and the connections to make a cushy life for themselves. Nor demagogue's looking for a feast.

Unfortunately, the two individuals I believe, would have succeeded Northam, Justin Fairfax and Mark Herring seem to have their own issues and drama surrounding them, also making them less than ideal candidates so... complicated situation.

Should he be punched in the face (like so many people wanted to do with MAGA hat kid)?

No, he should be killed after being tortured and raped. His whole family, should be killed and raped in front of him. Why? I read some comments online where some people said that should happen to him, and that it should happen to Kathy Tran. We might as well rape and kill everyone. Some people say that, right? Alternatively... we shouldn't debase ourselves, by giving attention and effort to the worst responses, ideas and arguments from people. No one wins if everyone is playing for petty political points. I mean, yeah, its unfortunate when people reacted that way to the MAGA kids, its generally unfortunate when people start to escalate a situation rather than defuse it, but lets address that the right way.

Should people just say "Aw he was in college," or "It was a different time"?

Well it was a different time, but do you mean to excuse such actions? It depends, on the context. The context will determine whether its a flimsy excuse, or a valid point. The context helps frame the motivation and purpose of such a statement. It that said, to illustrate how a society or individual has improved or evolved on a stance? What was the prior stance? What is the current stance? What has happened in between? What were the reasonings behind such stances and changes in thinking? In recent times, I have been participating in discussions with friends around both Liam Neeson and Tulsi Gabbard. Both held attitudes I disagree with ethically, but I could put into context why they felt that way, given their circumstance and also why and how their attitudes have changed, and for the better. Liam Neeson is an actor. Although I find actors overpaid, I don't find them as important as politicians. Gabbard though ehh... I'm still a bit iffy about. Contextually there are different variables, either way, context is important. Its what helps separate proper understanding of a situation from meaningless rhetoric.

The context here for Northam, I don't think helps him. His apparent nickname from the time doesn't help, his age, his responses and reactions. I dislike the drama and lack of transparency here. It creates mistrust, and we should be arguing about the politics of politicians, doubts over character at this stage, are too muddy, and I don't think Northam is doing a good job of addressing the mistrust. Otherwise, I might be more sympathetic.

#39 Posted by solar_nerd (2625 posts) - - Show Bio

He was in college, and he seems sorry.

#40 Edited by Jgames (8148 posts) - - Show Bio

It be one thing if he just apologized, but him now saying is not him despite saying it was him and that he was sorry, makes me want to say go screw yourself.