Godwin's Law: Did the word "troll" replace "nazi" in modern Internet discussions?

GermanX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I have heard of the term "Godwin's Law" which is simply an Internet adage for the increasing likelihood of Ad Hominem happening the longer an Internet discussion goes. The traditional favourite word to use in the older days of the Internet was apparently comparing the opponent you are debating with a Nazi or Hitler.

I have noticed over the past few years that when it comes to people engaging in Internet discussions, Nazi and Hitler are rarely used as Ad Hominem...

Correct me if I am wrong, but the term people nowadays like to accuse others of is "troll" or "bait". This IMO is another form of Ad Hominem and simply a new form of Godwin's Law.

I do not know why forum moderators these days forbade insults like "moron" or "idiot" thrown around but they don't seem to have as big of an issue with equally bad Ad Hominem terms like "troll" and "bait".

Simply boggles my mind. Please explain?

Shinne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I guess, but it doesn't really matter.

ourmanuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5ca9389143922
deactivated-5ca9389143922

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nein

Avatar image for deactivated-5c19671744860
deactivated-5c19671744860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe. Not really a big deal though.

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@germanx:

This is an incredibly huge problem.

It takes time for morons and idiots to catch on to the facts that you so easily elucidate.

All those trolls who call people baiters should be banned.

I myself am a master baiter. But I only use my abilities when no one else is around to be offended by them.

GermanX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@germanx:

This is an incredibly huge problem.

It takes time for morons and idiots to catch on to the facts that you so easily elucidate.

All those trolls who call people baiters should be banned.

I myself am a master baiter. But I only use my abilities when no one else is around to be offended by them.

Weird bizarro lingo I had to say.

removekebab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Them Israel loving nazis

GermanX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Example of ad hominem:

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/gen-discussion-1/is-it-reasonable-to-argue-that-batman-with-prep-ca-1992080/?page=1#js-message-35

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/gen-discussion-1/is-it-reasonable-to-argue-that-batman-with-prep-ca-1992080/?page=1#js-message-24

Very common on the forums, and amazingly ignored by the mods in favour of targeting those who make the equally offensive terms "idiot" and "moron".