• 54 results
#1 Edited by SaintWildcard (21844 posts) - - Show Bio

An other day, an other controversy. Gillette dropped this soap box of a commercial, and the response has not been kind on Youtube. Having crossed half a million dislikes, it seems like this one was a miss, but not a total wreck as some may believe. Twitter has been kinder, and even on Youtube, it still has like 200K likes. How do you feel about it?

#2 Posted by RBT (28511 posts) - - Show Bio

I see nothing wrong with the video itself. Though I despise this ongoing trend of brands emotionally manipulating people into liking their product or getting them to talk about it.

It's a terrible Gillette ad because it doesn't tell me anything about the company or their product, but there is nothing in the content of the video itself that I don't agree with.

#3 Posted by Stefano (2549 posts) - - Show Bio

I really didn’t see anything wrong with the video, it’s basically saying men should call out other men that do reprimandable/bad/unwanted stuff. In other words, not letting some men ruin the reputation of the rest of us.

#4 Posted by mrmonster (15568 posts) - - Show Bio

Kind of dumb. Have you ever seen children physically fighting like that and adults just sit back and shrug it off? I never have.

#5 Posted by FaradaySloth (10032 posts) - - Show Bio

Lmao @ Gillette

#6 Edited by SaintWildcard (21844 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate what's happening with this discussion online. I hate this commercial since it talks down to men and implies that most don't get that the actions in the commercial are wrong. I had this discussion with someone who loved the commercial and even quotes it to defend it by stating "the commercial says some men, stop being so hurt", but if I recall a few years ago a man said that some Mexicans are probably good people but he vast majority are rapists, drug dealers and losers. The "some men" in this commercial presents that same problem. I embody none of the things the commercial rails against. I'm a wimp when it comes to a fight and I'm far to shy to talk to women, much less rape and or cat call them. But even I was rubbed the wrong way by this commercial

That being said, I hate being lumped in with people who say things like

-This is why Trump won and will win again. I hate it when people say shit like this cus there are more important things than electing a candidate for being a blunt dick

-IT's an assault on masculinity/they hate men. No, that's not what the commercial is about. Equating being a man with the things in the commercial hurts your argument

- The fact that Fox news seems to be the only one talking about it now. I don't abide by the whole "the enemy of my enemy" slogan when that person is Fox News.

#7 Edited by Aka_aka_aka_ak (3211 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm in favour of addressing 'toxic masculine' traits, like aggressive and incompassion, which I think was the intended message of the campaign. However I am so fed up with this war on men, characterising us all by those traits, which really are among the worst traits of but a few of us. Had they also included some of the many great things men do then I might've been on-board, as it stands at the moment it's yet another villainisation of men.

@saintwildcard Bingo!

#8 Posted by ReaperTheGrim (1151 posts) - - Show Bio

Very cool Gilette, whens the ad about women bullying each other unto eating disorders coming out.

#9 Posted by Lunacyde (28253 posts) - - Show Bio

Free advertising

#10 Posted by Renchamp (7830 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrmonster said:

Kind of dumb. Have you ever seen children physically fighting like that and adults just sit back and shrug it off? I never have.

No Caption Provided

To more seriously answer you: Yes, some kids fight and some adults just watch. Otherwise the commercial would be ridiculous instead of intentionally over the top.

#11 Posted by ourmanuel (11903 posts) - - Show Bio

I don’t really see much wrong with the ad, though I get why a lot of people might not like it. It would’ve been much better if towards the end of the video, they had focused on the good traits that men have, to juxtapose those bad traits in the beginning.

#12 Posted by incursion2 (2072 posts) - - Show Bio

imo it kinda seems like they are saying these "bad men" are the default.

#14 Posted by Wolfrazer (16280 posts) - - Show Bio

But the commercial isn't promoting any product so...??

#15 Posted by Buckwheat (2299 posts) - - Show Bio

Ends in sex

#16 Posted by Renchamp (7830 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for deactivated-5ca9389143922
#17 Posted by deactivated-5ca9389143922 (596 posts) - - Show Bio

At this point, they prob just do it to get some outrage and easy publicity.

And, of course, it works every time . . .

#18 Posted by removekebab (3790 posts) - - Show Bio

It's stupid, people should just stop giving these dumb ads attention.

#19 Posted by Thekillerklok (10052 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

#20 Posted by juiceboks (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

I don’t really see much wrong with the ad, though I get why a lot of people might not like it. It would’ve been much better if towards the end of the video, they had focused on the good traits that men have, to juxtapose those bad traits in the beginning.

That is quite literally the exact thing they did in the latter half of the commercial.

#21 Posted by Rickybobby (6 posts) - - Show Bio

Some of the stuff was just straight cheese though . Why stop someone from going to talk to a girl they find attractive ? Why does it matter if your kids wrestle with each other ?

#22 Posted by Lunacyde (28253 posts) - - Show Bio

Its a bit over the top, but man the way some people are reacting to it is ironic.

#23 Posted by ourmanuel (11903 posts) - - Show Bio

@juiceboks: to me it seemed more like a “correction” or admonishment of those bad traits shown in the beginning.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c607e387a408
#24 Posted by deactivated-5c607e387a408 (312 posts) - - Show Bio

It’s condescending, it reminds me of those videos I had to watch as a kid in school

#25 Posted by juiceboks (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

@juiceboks: to me it seemed more like a “correction” or admonishment of those bad traits shown in the beginning.

It was a direct contrast of inappropriate behavior versus behavior aimed at helping men, women and kids. There is no correction in the clip of the man giving his daughter positive affirmations, or the man making the two kids shake hands and stop being angry with each other. They simply gave examples of men showcasing positive traits, and at the same time showing what should be done in situations that were established in the beginning of the video.

#26 Edited by Thekillerklok (10052 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

I am going to have to do some digging...

No Caption Provided

https://www.campaignlive.com/article/marc-pritchard-shares-personal-journey-around-bias-labels/1493744

#27 Edited by Thekillerklok (10052 posts) - - Show Bio

more ads from proctor and gamble.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Oh look one on the wage gap... by Director Raine Allen-Miller, Feminist.

Loading Video...

#28 Posted by Rustlingjimmy (1162 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

I'm so tired of this crap!

#29 Edited by Thekillerklok (10052 posts) - - Show Bio

I have concluded that the Gillette ad was created by feminists, who are telling men to be better by not raping implying that men are rapists and need to rain in their toxic masculinity.

And have decided that proctor and gamble as a whole can fornicate the same pineapple.

#30 Posted by Iron_Tiger (447 posts) - - Show Bio

Anti-Male and Anti-White ad by a company that may lose thousands of customers. Dollar Shave Club is looking really good right now.

#31 Posted by RBT (28511 posts) - - Show Bio

There is no such thing as bad publicity.

Not anymore.

#32 Posted by Koays (11477 posts) - - Show Bio

Men should be accountable for men isnt a bad message. And it's pretty much the only thing I got from it.

The only issue I had was that the guy who saw a cute girl walk past him and was going to pursue her was lumped in as toxic. A major debate on the issue of "toxic masculinity" is about how depending on who you ask, any time a man approaches a woman with those intentions someone will claim it is in the wrong. It under sells and confuses the issue since it turns "oh shit shes hot let me go try to talk to her" into "toxic behavior" without the context of how its delivered and recieved.

#33 Posted by solar_nerd (2625 posts) - - Show Bio

I have mixed feelings about it. While its message is ultimately right, similar problems exist among women. Like third-wave feminism, which is basically "toxic masculinity" reversed. I don't see this video as "blaming men for men doing bad things" at all. In fact, by including Terry Crews, they addressed that men can be victims as well, often of each other. However, the toxic feminism issue needs to be addressed ASAP.

#34 Posted by solar_nerd (2625 posts) - - Show Bio

@stefano said:

I really didn’t see anything wrong with the video, it’s basically saying men should call out other men that do reprimandable/bad/unwanted stuff. In other words, not letting some men ruin the reputation of the rest of us.

Very true, but the same thing should happen for women. Toxic feminism is just as big of a problem.

#35 Posted by solar_nerd (2625 posts) - - Show Bio

They show too many stereotypes as well, so I can't get behind it.

#36 Posted by mrmonster (15568 posts) - - Show Bio

One thing that's obvious is that there were 0 men in the writers room. The way this ad portray men is so cartoonish that I find it very hard to believe that any men (except maybe a "woke" SJW pretending to be a man) had any part in creating this.

#38 Edited by Jexsu (1293 posts) - - Show Bio

It's a trash video.

#39 Posted by dngn4774 (5581 posts) - - Show Bio

Hypothetically, if a guy is worried a commercial is going to make his entire gender look bad, he could just be a good man. It doesn't seem like we're setting the bar that high.

I just found it weird that a razor company was doing this PSA. It's like if Staples did an ad that said "Take care of yourkids so they don't shoot up our schools."

#40 Posted by MainJP (6152 posts) - - Show Bio

I really don't feel like clicking play.

Avatar image for plotweapon16255
#41 Posted by plotweapon16255 (7810 posts) - - Show Bio

It's pretty clear they made this ad to get them popular by triggering mens & they don't care about the message.

No Caption Provided

#42 Posted by AlphaQ (6348 posts) - - Show Bio

I did think the add was condescending and overly political. Other things I didn't like was how it was portrayed as heroic to break up young children fighting - I think young kids should fight and wrestle, it's important for their development. I also didn't like how things like approaching a woman on the street or telling them to smile during filming was considered wrong or sexist, arguably rude, but definitely not something other men (note it was always men being the protector) should feel obliged to step in and stop. Even in the part where a boss ignored a woman's suggestion in a board meeting seemed to have the wrong message, men aren't going to afford their competitors any inch in the workplace, even if they're women, the message should be for women not to let themselves be walked all over.

#43 Posted by Helloman (30115 posts) - - Show Bio

It was okay.

#44 Edited by Mr_Shazam0920 (4913 posts) - - Show Bio

Ironically the beta males, cucks, and feminazis they are trying to appease don’t grow enough facial hair to actually use their products. Well, maybe the feminazis, but then again, they wouldn’t shave their body hair anyways.

#45 Posted by SaintWildcard (21844 posts) - - Show Bio
Loading Video...

#46 Edited by Thekillerklok (10052 posts) - - Show Bio
Loading Video...

Found this edit to be rather interesting.

Avatar image for benjamin_poindexter
#47 Posted by Benjamin_Poindexter (947 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it's a commercial made to grab attention & it worked perfectly, but it's still just a commercial. If you get uptight about it, you probably have way to much free time on your hands.

#48 Posted by Trixie (998 posts) - - Show Bio
Loading Video...

#49 Posted by MonsterStomp (36883 posts) - - Show Bio

1/10 ad too long. Stopped after 30 seconds.

#50 Posted by Thekillerklok (10052 posts) - - Show Bio
@trixie said:
Loading Video...

This is great.